Ashton Davis

Beaver

48 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

That’s the party line, I know, I know…

It sounds great, until someone mentions you’re trading a proven Pro Bowl level commodity because you don’t want to pay for it, for pie in the sky you’re hoping will be half as good.

Something tells me people wouldnt mind bringing up the player drafted if he was amazing 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

That’s the party line, I know, I know…

It sounds great, until someone mentions you’re trading a proven Pro Bowl level commodity because you don’t want to pay for it, for pie in the sky you’re hoping will be half as good.

I get it and I don’t necessarily disagree with you, But the pie in the sky is a valuable asset in most front office in the NFL

Draft picks are hot commodities im the NFL, whether that’s the right way of thinking is a different story all together 

• Upvote 1

Personally, he hasn't seemed that bad to me.  He does seem to be noticeably good or bad in different games which strikes me as odd, but I haven't seen the horror some of you guys have seen.  That being said, zone safety probably requires watching the all-22 more than most positions, and I certainly have not seen any of that outside of internet snippets.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Something tells me people wouldnt mind bringing up the player drafted if he was amazing 

That's true, but it is also a different deal.  You don't hear people bashing the Brandon Marshall trade.   We got him for a 5th.  Seems like a good deal, but the Bears got Adrian Amos with that pick and he has started over 100 games and got a pretty big contract from the Packers when his rookie deal was up.  

The fact is, they weren't going to tag Williams and he probably wasn't coming back, so anything they got was worthwhile since they were not making the playoffs even if they won out and were not getting comp picks with the team being buyers in FA.  Davis has been a 2 year starter at S.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

He was going to be a free agent and was demanding to get paid.  Check how much the Giants have paid him since he got there.

And what did he give them in return?  One season, a contract driven season and back to underperforming and still providing nothing in the way of wins

We were going to let him walk.  Everyone knew this, getting what JD did for him was robbery 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

This Jet defense needs good safeties.  They can continue to find late round gems at CB, but they need good, athletic safeties.

The second round is not actually a bad place to find very good safeties.  High first round, probably not.  I would not be surprised in the least if the Jets used a second round pick for a S.

When you could only realistically count on your 1st round and 2nd round picks to be starters, and the Jets need a WR1, TE, RG, Edge, LB (2) and S(2), that is really not a great situation. 

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that the safeties who rank top ten in these metrics coincidentally play for teams with highly-rated pass rushes.

The Jets sent me an email asking me to enter to win season Tickets and a years full of free Dunkin’ Donuts . FYI legendary @T0mShane I entered your name. Outstanding post!

5CE2D6A1-56B0-4A1C-91FF-7DE18F17F0AF.jpeg

9 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Remember back when everyone here was saying we fleeced Gettleman and “won” the Leo trade?

The Giants are currently paying Leonard Williams $21M per year (just a little bit less than Aaron Donald) and we're not.  He's putting up fairly pedestrian numbers now that he's gotten paid and the Giants are in last place in their division, just like us.  

So, yeah, I'd say things didn't work out too well for Gettleman.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Giants are currently paying Leonard Williams $21M per year (just a little bit less than Aaron Donald) and we're not.  He's putting up fairly pedestrian numbers now that he's gotten paid and the Giants are in last place in their division, just like us.  

So, yeah, I'd say things didn't work out too well for Gettleman.  

Leo is the best player on the Giants, and would still be the best player on the Jets.

You take his age, position, durability and accomplishments and put him on the open market, you have a 21m per year player.
If you want to dump the best player (and every other good player) on your team when it comes time to pay him, you’ll get what the Jets have given you.

Lots of draft picks, a bunch of swings and misses and an expansion level roster.

It’s really easy to tear a roster apart. The thing that’s hard to do is building a good one, because you need… good players.

18 hours ago, Beerfish said:

A few years after using a 1s and 2nd rounder on safeties (and by-passing gobs of great talent) here we are again.

We need to draft two safeties (and sign a vet fa) but for the love of god not in the top two rounds.

2021, Rounds 1-4 were spent on offense, so let's hope that this pattern continues or at least on premium picks on day one.

17 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Another brilliant move by JD.

For those making excuses for JD and the miserable job he as done on the roster and the CS.

You can't even begin to worry about fixing up the safety position when:

Your offensive line needs two more long term starters and depth as well

You have no edge rusher

You have no TE

All of your LB's are questionable

Your CB's are second string on most rosters

Your QB cant his his plate with a fork.

You don't have anything resembling a prime ball carrier. 

And you are worried aboutSyour safeties ???

So what should JD do, pick 20 guys in a draft when he has 8 picks?  Fill all 22 spots?

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

So what should JD do, pick 20 guys in a draft when he has 8 picks?  Fill all 22 spots?

Not what he should do.  More like what he should have been doing.   The league has provisions for a poor team to become very good very quickly.  A franchise with a good GM at the helm can go from worst to first in a matter of two seasons.  The Jets GM has taken the organization from bad to bad.  There is NO sign of any improvement.  Other than two or three positions, the Jets have a practice squad roster.  That is inexcusable.  The CS that the GM has lined up also looks lost.  

I'd be in line with the fans that are calling for "more time", but the way it is now... THE FACTS... Well, more time will only yield the same mess.  

Any decent GM would have a good portion of the roster in line by now.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just from watching the games, it has looked to me like Davis struggles in coverage.  He's seemingly been late or soft on lots of coverage, but like Lith says, we don't know his assignments, so real hard to judge him there.

Giving him a low run defense grade is very suspicious. He's definitely had a few bad whiffs on tackling WRs downfield, but hard to really trash all the DB's for run D when the defensive line is getting absolutely blown away much of the time.

9 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

Just from watching the games, it has looked to me like Davis struggles in coverage.  He's seemingly been late or soft on lots of coverage, but like Lith says, we don't know his assignments, so real hard to judge him there.

Giving him a low run defense grade is very suspicious. He's definitely had a few bad whiffs on tackling WRs downfield, but hard to really trash all the DB's for run D when the defensive line is getting absolutely blown away much of the time.

it all makes sense really.  AD was a silly pick.  Guys like Javon Holland, Marcus Maye and Marcus Williams, among others, go in the second round.  Those are safeties that used to be first round talents. JD took AD in the third round (he was projected late second) but he should have been looking for RB, TE, OL and LB that are supposed to go in the third round. 

On 12/16/2021 at 1:07 PM, Beerfish said:

A few years after using a 1s and 2nd rounder on safeties (and by-passing gobs of great talent) here we are again.

We need to draft two safeties (and sign a vet fa) but for the love of god not in the top two rounds.

There are actually some good safeties to be had in round 2 - NorthWestern kid Brandon and Battle. And 3-4 more good ones in round 3. I’d be ok with grabbing one in round 2 if we could trade back one of our first rounders and pick up an extra 2nd rounder.