Ashton Davis

Beaver

8 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

There was a play Tua threw to the endzone yesterday and Davis went out of his way to run behind the TE he was covering. He ran to the one place where he couldn't make a play. It was bizarre. Thankfully there was a CB there too and Tua blows. 

If I have to watch Davis dive at someone's ankles like an armless pitbull again I'm gonna vom.

Special Dog GIF - Special Dog No Front Legs - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 1

Particularly for this No Gas/No Brakes/No Schemes/No Brains defense, the Jets need two smart, athletic tough safeties.   Guys you find in the 1st or 2nd round, or proven in FA.  

For a third round pick that should have been used on Damien Lewis or someone else, JD bought himself a backup safety/ST player.  That is what Ashtyn is until he is proven to be different.   Safeties get hurt, so he will see playing time to continue to develop.  After another 2 years maybe another team signs him and we get a comp pick.  Another terrible draft pick. 

There will be some nice safeties available at the top of the second round.  Maybe Battle?  The Jets need to spend top $ for a starter and hope to get starter in the draft.  It would not be a terrible idea to find 2 FA starters.   Maybe they save a little bit of money by giving Maye a prove it deal-this arrest is the biggest negative to that.  

• Upvote 2

On 12/17/2021 at 11:04 AM, THE BARON said:

Not what he should do.  More like what he should have been doing.   The league has provisions for a poor team to become very good very quickly.  A franchise with a good GM at the helm can go from worst to first in a matter of two seasons.  The Jets GM has taken the organization from bad to bad.  There is NO sign of any improvement.  Other than two or three positions, the Jets have a practice squad roster.  That is inexcusable.  The CS that the GM has lined up also looks lost.  

I'd be in line with the fans that are calling for "more time", but the way it is now... THE FACTS... Well, more time will only yield the same mess.  

Any decent GM would have a good portion of the roster in line by now.  

JD has been here for 2 drafts, not the last 10.  Thats why he is here, because the last 10 drafts sucked.  Sucked so bad that we're on our 3rd GM over that span of time

Id like to know all those horrid teams are who went from worst to first in two seasons.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 12/22/2021 at 12:11 PM, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

They had him returning kickoffs in his first NFL game until he got his bell rung on his first kickoff return..that was the end of that.

I'll never forget being at the Jets Giants preseason game in 1998 and Jim Fassel had Jayson Sehorn return a K for the first time in the NFL and Sehorn tore his ACL and MCL.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I'll never forget being at the Jets Giants preseason game in 1998 and Jim Fassel had Jayson Sehorn return a K for the first time in the NFL and Sehorn tore his ACL and MCL.  

Did he ever play good enough again?  I don't think so.  I think even his wife left him. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

Did he ever play good enough again?  I don't think so.  I think even his wife left him. 

No.  He hung around the Giants for a couple of years and then on to St Louis.  But he managed to stay long enough to play in the Giants SB in 2000.  But his career was essentially ruined.

I think his marriage to Angie Harmon lasted awhile though

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

JD has been here for 2 drafts, not the last 10.  Thats why he is here, because the last 10 drafts sucked.  Sucked so bad that we're on our 3rd GM over that span of time

Id like to know all those horrid teams are who went from worst to first in two seasons.  

Recent teams. Look at what Tampa did, Cleveland did, Buffalo did, Tennessee did, Arizona Did.  All teams that were not performing under previous regimes/GMs and made a fast and steady climb to the playoffs under quality management.

The Jets have gone from bad to bad to awful.  The roster is a total dud and the GM's top picks, Becton, Williams and Wilson are not working out and probably never will.  Becton because he's not mature/focused, Willaims because he's out to lunch on Sunday and Wilson because he is CLEARLY a developmental talent with no clear teacher and or system to bring him along.

14 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Recent teams. Look at what Tampa did, Cleveland did, Buffalo did, Tennessee did, Arizona Did.  All teams that were not performing under previous regimes/GMs and made a fast and steady climb to the playoffs under quality management.

The Jets have gone from bad to bad to awful.  The roster is a total dud and the GM's top picks, Becton, Williams and Wilson are not working out and probably never will.  Becton because he's not mature/focused, Willaims because he's out to lunch on Sunday and Wilson because he is CLEARLY a developmental talent with no clear teacher and or system to bring him along.

You do realize, off the top of my head, that Buffalo went from the mid nineties through the mid teens without a trip to the playoffs?  20+ years.  Then finally made the playoffs, losing their 1st game two in the 1st round before finally winning one playoff game in their 3rd try?  Wheres the 1st?  Cleveland?  I hear you but none of those teams went from worst to first.    In fact Tampa is the only team out of Cleveland, Buffalo, Tennessee and Arizona to make it to first.

Becton, Williams and Wilson arent working out? So you would have had the Bills, as their GM dump out on Allen?  Funny how much better the road to those teams becoming good looks after they went through lengthy rebuilds and how they somehow became overnight success stories when in reality they weren't.  

• Upvote 4

The job of a team and its coaches is to develop their players. 

In the case of Becton, Quinnen, Wilson and Mims, they don’t look great, but I don’t believe we are seeing their best football.

Wars are won or lost before they are fought.   The 2022 season for these guys will be determined by what they do in January 2022.  JD/RS need to make sure that there are plans for them. 

On 12/22/2021 at 1:12 PM, usapaw said:

I think we drafted two good safeties last year and tried to make them into LBs. Move them and draft two LBs. Problem solved. 

They really liked Sherwood and he was going to start prior to tearing his Achilles. Nas is playing special teams while learning a new position. Sherwood was great around the LOS, but not really deep  so that meshes really well for a Mike/Sam. Nas is fast and a magnet to the ball, but wasn’t great at coverage as a safety. Being around the LOS will be great for him too as a will most likely, but he should bulk up a bit. He had like 100 tackles 2 years in a row. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/16/2021 at 8:13 PM, THE BARON said:

Another brilliant move by JD.

For those making excuses for JD and the miserable job he as done on the roster and the CS.

You can't even begin to worry about fixing up the safety position when:

Your offensive line needs two more long term starters and depth as well

You have no edge rusher

You have no TE

All of your LB's are questionable

Your CB's are second string on most rosters

Your QB cant his his plate with a fork.

You don't have anything resembling a prime ball carrier. 

And you are worried about your safeties 

On 12/16/2021 at 8:13 PM, THE BARON said:

Another brilliant move by JD.

For those making excuses for JD and the miserable job he as done on the roster and the CS.

You can't even begin to worry about fixing up the safety position when:

Your offensive line needs two more long term starters and depth as well

You have no edge rusher

You have no TE

All of your LB's are questionable

Your CB's are second string on most rosters

Your QB cant his his plate with a fork.

You don't have anything resembling a prime ball carrier. 

And you are worried about your safeties ???

Always surprised to see people post who don't pay attention to the team.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/22/2021 at 9:30 AM, varjet said:

Particularly for this No Gas/No Brakes/No Schemes/No Brains defense, the Jets need two smart, athletic tough safeties.   Guys you find in the 1st or 2nd round, or proven in FA.  

For a third round pick that should have been used on Damien Lewis or someone else, JD bought himself a backup safety/ST player.  That is what Ashtyn is until he is proven to be different.   Safeties get hurt, so he will see playing time to continue to develop.  After another 2 years maybe another team signs him and we get a comp pick.  Another terrible draft pick. 

There will be some nice safeties available at the top of the second round.  Maybe Battle?  The Jets need to spend top $ for a starter and hope to get starter in the draft.  It would not be a terrible idea to find 2 FA starters.   Maybe they save a little bit of money by giving Maye a prove it deal-this arrest is the biggest negative to that.  

Just to be clear: Davis was thought of as a steal in the third round by multiple draft pundits, many included on this board.  He was considered a 2nd round talent.  He just hasn't worked out.  It happens.