Dalton Schultz

How much would you overpay Dalton Schultz to come down to NJ and have the privilege to catch passes for Zack Wilson? 

Jets Analyst Identifies Best 2022 Free-Agent Option at Tight End

Everyone seemed to know it this summer besides Joe Douglas and this New York Jets coaching staff, but the tight ends on the roster to start 2021 were not good enough.

If you look at how a franchise like the New England Patriots has surrounded rookie Mac Jones with veteran two-way tight ends that can block and catch, it should be apparent that the Jets front office has failed Zach Wilson in this regard.

Instead of Hunter Henry, Douglas signed Tyler Kroft. Rather than adding Jonnu Smith, he felt secure with Ryan Griffin. The lack of tight end talent has been unacceptable and this is an area that the Jets GM must focus on in 2022.

The number one option on the market at the position was probably Philadelphia Eagles star Dallas Goedert. Unfortunately, Mike Garafolo announced his extension on November 19.

Schultz has made a name for himself with the Dallas Cowboys since Jason Witten retired. The 2018 fourth-round pick registered 615 yards off 63 receptions in 2020 and he’s on pace to top that output in 2021. He currently has 438 receiving yards this season with three touchdowns.

At the end of the day though, Nania outlined Schultz because of the scheme fit. The Jets are looking for in-line tight ends like Kroft and Griffin that can assist the rushing attack and act as a safety net in the passing game.

The Jets X-Factor analyst highlighted Gesicki as a free-agent option that would not fit. “Gesicki isn’t even a TE,” Nania added in a separate tweet, “he’s lined up in-line on only 5% of his snaps this year. Not a Jets fit honestly. Schultz is the guy. Good run and pass blocker, low drop totals, elusive after the catch.”

Other Available Tight Ends That Fit the Mold

Douglas is expected to draft a tight end in 2022, but with Kroft set to hit free agency too, this position might need an overhaul. Outside of rookie Kenny Yeboah — who is more of a space blocker that would line up outside — this could be a totally new room next season.

That means even if the Jets draft a tight end, they should also consider signing a veteran that can start out of the gates. Follow that Patriots model and set yourself up with two viable options for Wilson and this offense.

Having said that, here are some free agents that could fit the Mike LaFleur mold.

Tyler Conklin: The 2018 fifth-rounder is enjoying a minor breakout this year similar to Schultz in 2020. If the Minnesota Vikings let him test free agency, the Jets could snag Conklin heading into his prime (currently 26). Pro Football Focus logged him as an in-line TE on 446 snaps out of 513 on offense. His blocking could use some work though with 56.9 (run) and 49.6 (pass) on the year.

Hayden Hurst: The former first-round pick of the Baltimore Ravens never developed into the tight end he was supposed to be, as a receiver or a blocker. At the same time, Gang Green got a taste of his potential first-hand in London after the combination of Hurst and Kyle Pitts torched the Jets along with an Atlanta Falcons power run game. He’d be a perfect fit for this offense but he’d probably work best as a secondary piece.

C.J. Uzomah: Approaching 30 at age 29 next year but also in the midst of a resurgent campaign with Joe Burrow and the Cincinnati Bengals. Uzomah has lined up as an in-line TE 287 snaps this season out of 425 offensive snaps according to PFF. Schultz is probably the better blocker and receiving threat, however, and is also younger.

O.J. Howard: An in-line tight end predominantly but a poor blocker according to PFF. Howard could be an option if the Jets decide to look for a big-name receiving threat that can line up inside.

Zach Ertz: Fans wanted the Jets to trade for the veteran this year but the franchise could always sign him in 2022. He’s definitely past his prime and he’s never been much of a run blocker but Ertz can play in-line and act as an adequate safety net.

There are also a few backup options out there that could replace underperforming players like Trevon Wesco and Griffin.

Maxx Williams: Top-tier blocking tight end with Baltimore and Arizona, not much of a receiving threat.

Gerald Everett: Solid pass-blocker but terrible in the run game. Reliable receiver with experience as an in-line tight end.

Ross Dwelley: Experience in LaFleur’s system in San Francisco, hybrid TE-fullback that could replace Wesco.

Lee Smith: Veteran blocking tight end with a consistent track record.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/heavy.com/sports/new-york-jets/dalton-schultz-top-free-agent-te-2022/amp/

I want a playmkaing tight end in the worst way.

Every freaking week I see these team with a great TE (and sometimes 2) making easy catches down the middle of the field or in the red zone and, quite frankly, it chaps my ass.  

Kelce, Knox, Andrews, Hurst, Knox, Hockenson, Goedert, Henry, Friermuth, Kittle...it just goes on and on.  I can't stand watching the Red Zone and seeing all these guys just dominating.  

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, kmnj said:

joe has no idea what a good tight end looks like as shown by our current tight ends

Yeah. Right.  Why couldn't Douglas fill every hole on this team in two full offseasons???  How could the Jets possibly still have holes and lack talent ?  How hard is it to fill 40 or so roster spots with quality talent ?  Plus, it's only been one year since Herndon crapped the bed.  

• Upvote 4

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2021-22-nfl-free-agency-rankings-top-50-free-agents

39. TE DALTON SCHULTZ, DALLAS COWBOYS

Schultz has taken full advantage of the absence of Blake Jarwin‘s absence within the Cowboys' offense and has made a name for himself. Schultz has at least five receptions in five of his seven games thus far in 2021, with his 83.3 overall grade ranking third-best among tight ends — trailing only the Baltimore Ravens’ Mark Andrews and the Philadelphia Eagles’ Dallas Goedert. The former fourth-round pick out of Stanford seemed like a limited athlete with all the intangibles that typically come with a Cardinal tight end, but he’s blossoming into a solid all-around player at the position.

Strengths:
-Run blocking
-Short/Intermediate routes

Weaknesses:
-One year of good production
-Deep routes

Scheme Fit/Role:
STARTING TIGHT END ON TEAM WITH GOOD WEAPONS: Schultz has produced in a Dallas system that has multiple playmakers who keep the defense honest and that's his best bet for future receiving production. He's a good blocker, so he can provide value in that area, and he can work the middle of the field at the short and intermediate levels.

Recent Injury History:
After playing a more limited role in 2018 and 2019, Schultz has played in every game for the Cowboys since the start of the 2020 season, including the third-most snaps by a tight end with 973 in 2020.

Contract Projection: Four years, $35 million ($8.75M per year, $17 million total guaranteed)

Bottom Line:
Schultz was a backup until 2020 and he didn't break out until 2021 where he's been one of the better all-around tight ends in the league. He's a mid-tier starter who has shown that he can be a dependable receiver and run-blockers.

------

We definitely don't qualify as an offense with good weapons.

Joe D will take the best tight end in the draft with our 1st pick in the 2nd round.  Heck he might double dip at tight end.

There is no reason to spend money on a JAG like Dalton Shultz when we can get a stud tight end in the draft.

I wouldnt be surprised if we took mcbride and wadlemeyer with both of our 2nd round picks.

I would sign Evan Engram. Decent blocker plenty of talent by all accounts a  good locker room presence probably get him fairly cheap on a prove it contract who  I think would finally reach his potential in this offense Plus draft a tight end as well 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, CSNY said:

I would sign Evan Engram. Decent blocker plenty of talent by all accounts a  good locker room presence probably get him fairly cheap on a prove it contract who  I think would finally reach his potential in this offense Plus draft a tight end as well 

I like Evan Engram. But if you're Evan Engram and looking to sign a prove it contract on the cheap, the Jets most likely is a bottom 5 destination.. But with that said I'm willing to be that team to over pay which we'll have to do for pretty much all our FAs. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Joe D will take the best tight end in the draft with our 1st pick in the 2nd round.  Heck he might double dip at tight end.

There is no reason to spend money on a JAG like Dalton Shultz when we can get a stud tight end in the draft.

I wouldnt be surprised if we took mcbride and wadlemeyer with both of our 2nd round picks.

Can you imagine -- with the worst defense in the NFL -- JD doubling down on TE in the first 2 rounds? He'd be on a rope before I could even comment.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Can you imagine -- with the worst defense in the NFL -- JD doubling down on TE in the first 2 rounds? He'd be on a rope before I could even comment.

JD will sign FA TEs.  Good teams will draft TEs and develop them.   Bad teams (or teams with no QB like the Patriots HAD) will sign them.  Mac Jones is super cheap so the Patriots can sign TEs.  BB loves TEs, which is a sign for the rest of the NFL. 

12 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

I want a playmkaing tight end in the worst way.

Every freaking week I see these team with a great TE (and sometimes 2) making easy catches down the middle of the field or in the red zone and, quite frankly, it chaps my ass.  

Kelce, Knox, Andrews, Hurst, Knox, Hockenson, Goedert, Henry, Friermuth, Kittle...it just goes on and on.  I can't stand watching the Red Zone and seeing all these guys just dominating.  

What’s a Tight End? - Just asking for a Jets fan.