OT: Scotch drinkers opinions wanted

I'm only putting this here because I would like as many opinions as possible. 

I have always drunk my scotch on the rocks but that was always something  like Johnny Walker Black that you can buy on sale for like $30 a bottle. Well a friend knowing I drink this stuff bought me a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue. Now I have had some expensive scotch in my time like McCallens or Glenlivet but I never had a bottle that costs $250. So am I committing a crime by drinking this on the rocks? I really don't  want to invest in whiskey  stones because so many people have told me they last a really short time. 

And yes, I will be drinking this during the remainder of Jets games. 

the easy answer is large home made ice cube. it will take ages to melt. people give me sh*t for making my own ice cubes without molds, but there isnt a better way to drink for me...esp an old fashioned, or a oaxaca old fashioned...and u can stick them into the freezer for as long as you need.

9 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Ice, neat, a splash of water; it’s all personal preference. I highly recommend Glemorangie Signet. It’s about $180 but worth every penny. Also, there is a canadian Whiskey - Pike Creek, that is made just like scotch (just not in scotland) and is often sold for less than $30. Pike Creek extra finished in Rum Barrels tastes as good as the most expensive brands.

768747F1-4A65-424A-A38F-13D27FCC2D86.jpeg

52F9A77D-4775-4B17-A84B-714406DB24D1.jpeg

I've seen Pikes in my store. Never tried it. I'm not into drinking this expensive stuff really. It's fun to have a bottle like this but won't  be a habit. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I have always drunk my scotch on the rocks but that was always something  like Johnny Walker Black that you can buy on sale for like $30 a bottle. Well a friend knowing I drink this stuff bought me a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue. Now I have had some expensive scotch in my time like McCallens or Glenlivet but I never had a bottle that costs $250. So am I committing a crime by drinking this on the rocks? I really don't  want to invest in whiskey  stones because so many people have told me they last a really short time. 

Absolutely ice is fine.

Also JW Blue is a ripoff. JW Gold is better and half the price.

• Upvote 2

JW anything is crap and blue is a waste of money. As far as using ice it’s personal preference. I personally like it straight up (I drink highlands not is lay so it’s not as peaty) but most people sip it with ice. I think adding water or soda is stupid because it’s ruins the flavor. If you need to add water or soda then get a cheap blend instead of a single malt and drink that. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

JW anything is crap and blue is a waste of money. As far as using ice it’s personal preference. I personally like it straight up (I drink highlands not is lay so it’s not as peaty) but most people sip it with ice. I think adding water or soda is stupid because it’s ruins the flavor. If you need to add water or soda then get a cheap blend instead of a single malt and drink that. 

Dude, when you are spending $30 a bottle, it all tastes the same. Nobody is looking for notes of chocolate or anything like that. My daughter once tried some with me and she thought it tasted horrible. I told her I don't  drink it for the taste. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Seems to me when I go to a TOP restaurant, order a top scotch,  they serve the scotch with one block cube or circle cube of ice. That’s how I now do it.   

My normal scotch is Dewars. LOVE IT!!

Drink Belvenie and Pinch a ton

Drink McCallum on the anniversary of Neil Pearts passing or when I reminisce about RUSH.

I use 1 ice cube. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Johnny Walker Black is $46 here.  Bought the Johnny Walker Red for $32 yesterday for a gift.  No crime committed.

38 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Dude, when you are spending $30 a bottle, it all tastes the same. Nobody is looking for notes of chocolate or anything like that. My daughter once tried some with me and she thought it tasted horrible. I told her I don't  drink it for the taste. 

I’m not talking about cheap whiskey/scotch I’m talking about people doing that to expensive stuff. 

58 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Well, I didn't buy it so no worries.  I was more concerned about am I missing the flavor.

If I was going to spend 100 on a bottle, I would buy McCallen's. That is my favorite. 

It depends on the flavor you like. That’s what’s beautiful about it. You and I can have a glass of JWB. I take it neat. You can put ice. As long as we both get what we out of the resulting flavor profile, it’s all good.

Yoh know what type of people over-index on the polarizing “this is the only way to drink it” crap? Wankers who cannot discern the flavor notes on their own, so the experience becomes about posturing and social gating. Those guys all suck.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Have to admit, I am a Johnnie Black drinker. I guess at my advanced age, I don't have to look at the price tag to say it's good. Been drinking it for over 40 years.

While I sometimes use ice in the Black (or the whiskey stones), I never put ice in the Blue. Even one cube starts to dilute the drink. If you need to take the edge off, use the whiskey stones. They don't make the drink very cold but they do smooth out the taste.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Wish I could help, but when I do drink it's Bourbon, not Scotch. I'm not a purist, so I mix mine with Ginger on the rocks... Coke ruins the taste of a good bourbon for me.

Good luck, just try every which way, then stick with what you like.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Try this:

- pour a splash of spring water into your glass

- swirl it around to wet all surfaces

- then dump it out

- pour your scotch in

For some of the cheaper scotches I’ve bought, I have found this helps open them up without watering them down. I’m talking like Glenlivet 10 grade stuff.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Chivas regal man here. I always have mine on the rocks and don’t feel I’ve ruined it. If I’m being honest - I’d probably rather just keep it in the freezer and not use the cubes. However with two kids my wife and myself- there’s never any room in our freezer. ?

8 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Johnny Walker Black is $46 here.  Bought the Johnny Walker Red for $32 yesterday for a gift.  No crime committed.

That's  full retail. My liquor store has a website so I check when things are on sale. I once got a huge bottle of Barefoot pinot for $4. Whenever he has JW Black on sale it's  about $30 and buy 2 or 3 bottles. 

• Upvote 1