OT: Scotch drinkers opinions wanted

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Well, I didn't buy it so no worries.  I was more concerned about am I missing the flavor.

If I was going to spend 100 on a bottle, I would buy McCallen's. That is my favorite. 

I'd even be as bold to say JW Gold tastes better than Blue, but hey if it was a gift, be a baller and enjoy it haha. 

Lately, I've been enjoying Balvenie on the high end, and the standard Dimple Pinch for a midrange scotch. You can't go wrong with the latter. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

I'd even be as bold to say JW Gold tastes better than Blue, but hey if it was a gift, be a baller and enjoy it haha. 

Lately, I've been enjoying Balvenie on the high end, and the standard Dimple Pinch for a midrange scotch. You can't go wrong with the latter. 

I did enjoy their Caribbean cask. 

A reasonably priced scotch that I really like is aberlour. Also dabbled in the Japanese scotch but they very pricey...

8 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

I did enjoy their Caribbean cask. 

A reasonably priced scotch that I really like is aberlour. Also dabbled in the Japanese scotch but they very pricey...

Aberlour is fantastic. 

If you see it anywhere, check out Litchfield Distillery. They're a local CT distillery that's cranking out some great bourbons/scotches. Their holiday edition this year is a Sherry Cask Bourbon that's effing spectacular. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Gibby said:

Chivas regal man here. I always have mine on the rocks and don’t feel I’ve ruined it. If I’m being honest - I’d probably rather just keep it in the freezer and not use the cubes. However with two kids my wife and myself- there’s never any room in our freezer. ?

Just me and my girlfriend and we store stuff in the ice basket in my freezer. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I'm only putting this here because I would like as many opinions as possible. 

I have always drunk my scotch on the rocks but that was always something  like Johnny Walker Black that you can buy on sale for like $30 a bottle. Well a friend knowing I drink this stuff bought me a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue. Now I have had some expensive scotch in my time like McCallens or Glenlivet but I never had a bottle that costs $250. So am I committing a crime by drinking this on the rocks? I really don't  want to invest in whiskey  stones because so many people have told me they last a really short time. 

And yes, I will be drinking this during the remainder of Jets games. 

Single Malts should always be neat or use the ice rocks if you want the chill without any dilution. 

To me, Blue Label is extremely overrated for the price. Macallan 12, 14, and if you want to get crazy 18 … are far superior.

Reasonably priced single malt thats better and cheaper than Blue Label…Oban.

Red Breast is another good expensive one.

• Upvote 1

I always have my Scotch or Bourbon neat.  That's the way I like it.  No ice.  But that's me.  You shouold enjoy your extravagance any which way you like and ignore what others think.  JW Blue and Green are the only blends I can tolerate.  Otherwise it's single malt for me.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

Single Malts should always be neat or use the ice rocks if you want the chill without any dilution. 

To me, Blue Label is extremely overrated for the price. Macallan 12, 14, and if you want to get crazy 18 … are far superior.

Reasonably priced single malt thats better and cheaper than Blue Label…Oban.

Red Breast is another good expensive one.

^ Bingo!  It's not even close.  But JW Green is really good if you haven't tried it.

I drink my Johnny Walker Blue with one ice cube.  My Father and Grandfather would have a fit about it because of our Scottish ancestry.  Try it both ways.  If you like one better than the other do it.

Side note - Johnny Walker is blended.  There are those who think blended is wrong too.

Finally, I know you got the bottle as a gift.  A very nice gift by the way.  However, if I am buying it I prefer the Aged 18 Year.

I am a Bourbon and Scotch drinker, some bourbons I will drink on the rocks, but my weakness for Scotch is Ardbeg Uigeadail. I always drink it neat as I just can’t  do scotch and soda or add water to my scotch, just a personal preference. Everybody’s palate is different. I like peaty scotch and to me it just dilutes all that flavor. 

22 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

I drink my Johnny Walker Blue with one ice cube.  My Father and Grandfather would have a fit about it because of our Scottish ancestry.  Try it both ways.  If you like one better than the other do it.

Side note - Johnny Walker is blended.  There are those who think blended is wrong too.

Finally, I know you got the bottle as a gift.  A very nice gift by the way.  However, if I am buying it I prefer the Aged 18 Year.

I don't  mind that it's  a blend. Some of the best wines I have ever tasted were Super Tuscans. 

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

I’m not talking about cheap whiskey/scotch I’m talking about people doing that to expensive stuff. 

Thing is whatever works for you or anyone is your business.  Sometimes I drink my Scotch neat, sometimes with a piece of ice.  

Its not stupid and to me doesnt ruin the flavor, changes it

6 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Never used ice or whiskey stones, just couldn’t seem to get them to fit into the bottle. 

I have a pear tree in my back yard, I tried the trick of fastening some bottles over top the small growing pears to try and get pears in the bottle.  It worked not too badly.

p9H0Sqh.jpg

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I have always drunk my scotch on the rocks but that was always something  like Johnny Walker Black that you can buy on sale for like $30 a bottle. Well a friend knowing I drink this stuff bought me a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue. Now I have had some expensive scotch in my time like McCallens or Glenlivet but I never had a bottle that costs $250. So am I committing a crime by drinking this on the rocks? I really don't  want to invest in whiskey  stones because so many people have told me they last a really short time. 

I like ice in mixed drinks and have had ice in scotch I usually just prefer it straight up with no ice.

5 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Haven't read through  but I'm sure this has been said -- you owe it to yourself to try it without ice. Blue is so smooth, you really don't need it. But if you don't like it like that, put it on ice. Screw anyone else's opinion.

• Upvote 1

When to a Balvenie taste test a few years back, a true Scot from Balvenie took us through the history, the regions and we tried the 12, 14 CC, 18, 21 and I think about a 45 ($25k bottle , only a few left). 

He said drink scotch however you want to. Whatever kind you want, whatever makes you happy.

But he did make some recommendations on how THEY suggest you drink it. 

Take a tiny dropper/pipette and but just a squirt of water into the scotch. Said it opens up the florals just a bit. He made us smell the straight scotch and then the scotch with the dash of water and it made a noticeable difference.

Since then that’s how I’ve always drank it. Scotch, in a Glencairn dram glass with just a splash. 

I typically only buy Balvenie. 

My top end is the 21, my medium is the 14 Carribean Cask (really delicious) and my every day is a blend they make called Monkey Shoulder. Almost tastes like single malt. 

Found the JW Blue to be overrated, too smoky (don’t like peaty smoky scotch). Much prefer the 21 or the Dalmore 18 for a high end. 

But again, however you like. 

• Upvote 4

I usually drink my scotch or bourbon straight up. But if I drink it on ice I like it with an ice ball. It doesn’t melt that fast and it lets the scotch breathe. Plus if I drink it straight up I drink it too fast and fall off the cliff, but that another story.

also if I drink it straight up I usually have a sh*tty beer like Miller lite and a cigar to go with it.

I'm a single malt man, and I always drink it straight. A lot of people swear by just a spot of water to release more flavours, but I just prefer it neat.

I've never been one for ice in my malts, but it's not uncommon to drink it that way.

I just think you should drink it how you like it. Unless you are going to put mixers in there - that would be criminal.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Thing is whatever works for you or anyone is your business.  Sometimes I drink my Scotch neat, sometimes with a piece of ice.  

Its not stupid and to me doesnt ruin the flavor, changes it

I didn’t say ice ruined it. I said watering it down or mixing it with soda does and it is stupid to get an expensive bottle of whiskey and then hide the flavor with a can of Coke. You could just do that with a cheaper bottle

6 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I didn’t say ice ruined it. I said watering it down or mixing it with soda does and it is stupid to get an expensive bottle of whiskey and then hide the flavor with a can of Coke. You could just do that with a cheaper bottle

I dont think anyone meant a can of Coke.  Anyway you said putting water to a good scotch was stupid.  Only saying there are people who like it that way and I dont see the problem with water on scotch.  I think, automatically, the Scotch and soda means club, not Coke