OT: Scotch drinkers opinions wanted

Drink it how you like it. The average consumer isn't able to discern the broad range of flavors that takes years of training your palate to differentiate between. Even at that every person is different as it is a sensory memory which will be different depending on individual experience. I've witnessed a guy request Hennessy Richard over packed crushed ice like a snowcone. To each their own. Cheers!

• Upvote 1

When I was a Bartender up in Boston, we had a wine class from our resident Sommelier,  French guy named Freddie Mariot (pronounced mar-Wah, of course). 

He said there is only ONE RULE to drinking wine, fine, vintage, or $10 grocery store brand.

"Enjoy it. Everything else is bullsheet."

I'm pretty sure it applies to Whiskey (or Whisky) as well.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, New York Mick said:

JW anything is crap and blue is a waste of money. As far as using ice it’s personal preference. I personally like it straight up (I drink highlands not is lay so it’s not as peaty) but most people sip it with ice. I think adding water or soda is stupid because it’s ruins the flavor. If you need to add water or soda then get a cheap blend instead of a single malt and drink that. 

Yep, taste what you drink, drink what you taste. Personally I think glasses are a waist honestly. Drink it straight up and straight out, the bottle. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I dont think anyone meant a can of Coke.  Anyway you said putting water to a good scotch was stupid.  Only saying there are people who like it that way and I dont see the problem with water on scotch.  I think, automatically, the Scotch and soda means club, not Coke

When I think of Coke and any whiskey I  immediately think Jack & Coke. That’s it. 

On the rare occasions I’ll have, say a Dewars, I’ll do Dewars and club with a twist. 

I’d never mix anything in a single malt or high end whiskey other than a splash  of water. In the summer rather than the splash I’ll use one small cube and let it melt a bit.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

When I think of Coke and any whiskey I  immediately think Jack & Coke. That’s it. 

On the rare occasions I’ll have, say a Dewars, I’ll do Dewars and club with a twist. 

I’d never mix anything in a single malt or high end whiskey other than a splash  of water. In the summer rather than the splash I’ll use one small cube and let it melt a bit.

If I feel like a Scotch and soda, and I mean club, I order Dewars and soda.  Cant see wasting a good scotch by adding club to it, Dewars is perfect for that job.

I rarely if ever drink a scotch and soda at home.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

If I feel like a Scotch and soda, and I mean club, I order Dewars and soda.  Cant see wasting a good scotch by adding club to it, Dewars is perfect for that job.

I rarely if ever drink a scotch and soda at home.  

Funny, the first time I ever drank scotch I was meeting my future father-in-law for the first time at a local watering hole (big guy, a mix between John Wayne and Jim Garner). My future wife said “please don’t order a vodka and grapefruit” (this was in 1981, college drink of choice) and he ordered Dewars soda and a twist so I said “I’ll have one of those too”. 

For a 21 year old, it was pretty pretty pretty good. 

Yeah, I don’t have Dewars at home anymore. 

Actually right now having a Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. With a splash. Delicious. I didn’t think there were better bourbons than the regular Reserve but they outdid themselves with the Double Oaked. For an extra maybe $8, totally worth it.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I dont think anyone meant a can of Coke.  Anyway you said putting water to a good scotch was stupid.  Only saying there are people who like it that way and I dont see the problem with water on scotch.  I think, automatically, the Scotch and soda means club, not Coke

I know what it means. I was in the bar business for 20 plus years. 

I'm only putting this here because I would like as many opinions as possible. 
I have always drunk my scotch on the rocks but that was always something  like Johnny Walker Black that you can buy on sale for like $30 a bottle. Well a friend knowing I drink this stuff bought me a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue. Now I have had some expensive scotch in my time like McCallens or Glenlivet but I never had a bottle that costs $250. So am I committing a crime by drinking this on the rocks? I really don't  want to invest in whiskey  stones because so many people have told me they last a really short time. 
And yes, I will be drinking this during the remainder of Jets games. 
Drink it how you like it.

Goid Scotch .. always airrate with a touch(tiny bit) of water.

I used to drink the good single malts like Lagavulin, Tallisker or Oban .. but now i enjoy blends way more.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I have always drunk my scotch on the rocks but that was always something  like Johnny Walker Black that you can buy on sale for like $30 a bottle. Well a friend knowing I drink this stuff bought me a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue. Now I have had some expensive scotch in my time like McCallens or Glenlivet but I never had a bottle that costs $250. So am I committing a crime by drinking this on the rocks? I really don't  want to invest in whiskey  stones because so many people have told me they last a really short time. 

Johnny Walker Black is a good stock Blended Scotch Whisky.  McCallen is a very good Spey side, but they have not been honest these days, dropping the 10 and 12 year for the “Gold” so they can mix younger whiskys to produce more.

on a side note I did two trips to Scotland in September and October doing 2500 miles and a couple of whisky stops on route.

0CC2C2CE-CBF1-4FAE-9037-CABBC60292BF.jpeg

• Sympathy 1

frankly, i find just about any alcohol tasting better if it comes out of the freezer.  jack daniels, vodka, aquavit, all good when coming straight from the freezer.  and i also like scotch on the rocks.  two scotches i don't like are cutty and JB.  and some vodkas are particularly rot gut.  stick to stoli or skye or absolute or titos.

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Drink it how you like it.

Goid Scotch .. always airrate with a touch(tiny bit) of water.

I used to drink the good single malts like Lagavulin, Tallisker or Oban .. but now i enjoy blends way more.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I have a bottle of Tallisker. Same friend brought it home from Scotland for me. 

37 minutes ago, rangerous said:

frankly, i find just about any alcohol tasting better if it comes out of the freezer.  jack daniels, vodka, aquavit, all good when coming straight from the freezer.  and i also like scotch on the rocks.  two scotches i don't like are cutty and JB.  and some vodkas are particularly rot gut.  stick to stoli or skye or absolute or titos.

I think Grey Goose is best for Vodka. 

13 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Didn’t check to see if someone else mentioned this, but with truly expensive scotch (or whiskey or rye or bourbon), the quality of the water matters. You guys in NY are blessed with fantastic water. Down here water is lots harder. Also, florination trashes the taste. Anyway, yes, go with large cubes, but try making them with distilled or bottled spring water.a little dilution enhances it, IMHO. 

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

My buddies and I started with Old E in middle school. By high school there were handles of cheap booze stashed throughout the woods so we always had a supply.

We drank Southern Comfort  back in the day. Have no idea how I got that stuff down. You actually feel the burn into your gut. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Funny, the first time I ever drank scotch I was meeting my future father-in-law for the first time at a local watering hole (big guy, a mix between John Wayne and Jim Garner). My future wife said “please don’t order a vodka and grapefruit” (this was in 1981, college drink of choice) and he ordered Dewars soda and a twist so I said “I’ll have one of those too”. 

For a 21 year old, it was pretty pretty pretty good. 

Yeah, I don’t have Dewars at home anymore. 

Actually right now having a Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. With a splash. Delicious. I didn’t think there were better bourbons than the regular Reserve but they outdid themselves with the Double Oaked. For an extra maybe $8, totally worth it.  

My story is similar…. First job, in World Trade Center, co-worker/ superior told me NO FUKKIN Gin and tonics.  Order a scotch like me.  He taught me to acquire a taste. Im a scotch guy today thanks to him. 

He drank Dewars.  He passed on 911 so every 911 since I do a straight Dewars thinking of him.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

36 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

My story is similar…. First job, in World Trade Center, co-worker/ superior told me NO FUKKIN Gin and tonics.  Order a scotch like me.  He taught me to acquire a taste. Im a scotch guy today thanks to him. 

He drank Dewars.  He passed on 911 so every 911 since I do a straight Dewars thinking of him.  

F*cking  awesome. 

Yeah, bad day. Saw them both fall live. From 23rd street. 

Cheers. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

My buddies and I started with Old E in middle school. By high school there were handles of cheap booze stashed throughout the woods so we always had a supply.

Yeah we tasted stuff in middle school when I was younger, but no regular drinking. And that good behavior really paid off. I didn't know back then that it'd lead to a great career moderating a free web forum for fans of the worst team in football. 

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Funny, I’m drinking a gin and tonic over Dewars 11 times out of 10.

• Upvote 1