Connor Hughes on Wilson's inaccuracy

Dcat

He was unbelievably inaccurate last Sunday but the previous week he was mostly OK. It's not just the confusion of NFL defenses and the skill level of the players he is up against vs when he was in college. We're talking very short passes with minimal coverage etc. He just had a bad game last week like I said he's been better (and worse) so far this season. But I criticize the Jets esp earlier in the season for not giving him an easier offense to run like the Jets did with Mark when he was a rookie. 

59 minutes ago, IAmCyan said:

Couldn't agree more.  Handing him the starting job and making him a team captain is on the coaching staff.  I see no leadership qualities in Wilson.

he wasnt handed it, he won it. or did you not see how good of a preseason he had? if they would have sat him even if Flacco was here there would have been a riot on there hands. 

• Upvote 1

Kinda reminds me of Jared Goff his rookie with Jeff Fisher. 

Rams saw what was going on - fired the head coach. Then hired the right guy and Goff rebounded.

I'm thinking Jets should sense that Saleh has ZERO idea how to develop a QB. 

Hire Doug Peterson/find the right guy for Wilson. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barton said:

Rams saw what was going on - fired the head coach. Then hired the right guy and Goff rebounded.

They’re running the same system that McVay runs.   It’s an easy system for a QB.   I’m not sure this is a situation where the coaching staff is the reason for Wilson’s struggles.   They’ve hired him a personal hand holder and that doesn’t seem to be working.   It’s on the player to perform, the coach can only do so much.  Not sure it’s Saleh’s fault that Zach is most inaccurate QB in the league.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I read these threads where people try to explain what they think is wrong with the kid, but I never see anyone mention what is becoming apparent to me when I watch him play.

Am I the only one who thinks Zach looks scared out there?

Yep, Zach is scared right now.  There's different types of scared.  There's the Josh Rosen scared, where he was looking at the pass rush and crumpled at any sign any pressure.  That's not fixable but that's not Zach.

Zach seems to be Sanchez scared, where he rushes things and panics.  

• Upvote 1

I don’t think belief in himself is an issue. The kid making deep pass completions and waiving his wr to go deep against Tennessee, is not a kid that doesn’t believe in himself. He knows what the issues are and will work to fix them. Personally, while so many experts indicated Wilson was made for this offense, I don’t think the short timing passes and checkdowns are what he did in college. He is being asked to do things he’s never done before.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

In my completely unprofessional opinion, the best thing for Zach would be someone to take a cheap shot at him, have one of his OL(hopefully several) kick said dudes ass regardless of consequence.

I think this would A) Show Zach he’s not going to break.  2) Show him his teammates will back him up.

That’s assuming they will.  I assume they would.  If they didn’t, simply because he isn’t a A type personality, then they are sh*tty teammates.

3 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

I dont think the time off from injury was really gonna do much. It’s just like you said it’s not gonna correct itself between a few games. He needs the off season for that muscle memory to restart. 
I don’t see it in practice and he’s out there after every one doing extra work when practice is done. 
I just think when he’s in game if he doesn’t hit a rhythm early (like drops stopping drives) then he starts to speed up and feel the need to play catch up. Then the defense doesn’t get off the field for 30 minutes and feels he has to make things happen now or he won’t get another chance until next quarter. Throw in a pass rush in his face and he’s all over the place. 

Just get out of this season healthy and hit restart. 

Not doubting it, but where do you see them practice - particularly 11-on-11 - during the season? I wasn't aware they were open.

Regardless, something's in his head & he's not going to be an asset trying to play while thinking about his motion or follow-through or feet or all of these at the same time.

What I'm wondering is if they were really trying to work on his feet and it's caused him to think about what he's doing while he's doing it way too much, and now this has moved to other areas of his mechanics. Fine in practice, but then put someone else out there until he's got it down pat; he can't do that in games. He's been a mess.

17 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

In my completely unprofessional opinion, the best thing for Zach would be someone to take a cheap shot at him, have one of his OL(hopefully several) kick said dudes ass regardless of consequence.

I think this would A) Show Zach he’s not going to break.  2) Show him his teammates will back him up.

That’s assuming they will.  I assume they would.  If they didn’t, simply because he isn’t a A type personality, then they are sh*tty teammates.

This happened twice in the Pats game where he got injured and his teammates didn’t even help him off the turf.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 4

15 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Yep, Zach is scared right now.  There's different types of scared.  There's the Josh Rosen scared, where he was looking at the pass rush and crumpled at any sign any pressure.  That's not fixable but that's not Zach.

Zach seems to be Sanchez scared, where he rushes things and panics.  

That’s how I felt until last Sunday when he slid with nobody anywhere near him. I hope I’m wrong, but I think he may be a little intimidated on the field.

I have no basis for this next part, but I could see it being worse yet in the clubhouse. He just doesn’t strike me as someone the room would rally behind like let’s say a Minshew, or even a Mike White when things aren’t going well.

I'm not giving up on this kid...yet.  Darnold was given 3 years to prove himself and even after that, there were many here who still wanted to keep him, but all he needed was a better surrounding cast of players.  Right now this kid has the yips...can it be fixed?  I don't really know, but I'm not in favor of severing the cord on him...too soon.  There are lot of factors hoovering around this organization besides bad QB play.  You know them well...HC, GM, young players, injuries (especially to key WR's)...oh, and the uniform sucks...lol.  Seriously though, let's give the kid at least 2-3 years before we ship him off and see what develops and see what kind of team JD has built.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Wilson was asked repeatedly about what he learned from sitting out and he answered that he has to play more like White and Flacco, which you’d have to think is ******* with his head on a few different levels. One, he’s not playing instinctually and 2. He’s overly aware that the team is better when he’s not the quarterback. It’s hard to overcome these things.

No doubt, and with things like that + what I just posted in the other thread, too ('Wilson speaks'), his head is mush right now.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, ScarletKnight89 said:

I just watched some of his game against Houston in 2020. He's hitting the short passes with touch no problem lol. Sure it's college but throws to open receivers are still throws to open receivers. I do think it's a mental thing at this point. 

Exactly. Watched every throw he made last year and accuracy was amongst the least of my concerns. He's in his head and overcomplicating things, but he's more than capable of being an accurate passer. This is simply not the same as other guys that have come out with accuracy issues. 

• Upvote 3

I see ZW getting absolutely roasted by the Dolphins blitz while looking hopelessly lost and Flacco coming in 2nd half...it's that simple...let's see how much his teammates really are in his corner if he takes a real cheap shot from the Dolphins and Tua doesn't get the same back...the Pats game was telling indeed.  

4 hours ago, Barton said:

but Saleh is not developing him. it LaFluer. 

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Of course I remember, and I see no causal relation

• One was a player needing constant reminders of the game situation (e.g. It's 3rd down & we're in FG range already; don't take a sack here, numbnuts...err, uh...RED!!); the other's primary issue is he has the yips.
  • One was a player who'd never previously demonstrated success in the specific area he's failing; the other is a player who has.
  • One is a mental deficiency (inability to process what he's seeing); the other is thinking too much.

Or is it your belief that Wilson is literally incapable of throwing a football on target, except by luck where some will end up on target because he throws so many and it's the law of averages kicking in?

He clearly can throw accurately; the obvious problem is he isn't. Whether that's a new but potentially permanent issue that began this year, like a baseball player who just develops permanent yips from out of nowhere, is undetermined. If he gets over it, then we can see if other things improve enough; I can get past a lot of rookie growing pains that get better with experience, but being this off-target this often isn't a growing pain. If he has permanent yips, nothing else he improves upon will matter much.

Conversely, Sanchez was just too on-field dumb to wrap his head around the game situation that year, unless the incoming play was accompanied by red/yellow/green color cues like he was a child. It's unsurprising the most efficient/consistent stretch of his career was in Philadelphia when they'd line up super-fast so he could hear coaching through his helmet while he was at the line and so a coach could see what the D was doing and have him snap the ball with >15 seconds left on the play clock before the comm system shut off (though this created its own issues for the iggles in the form of TOP + exhausting his own defense, and probably his own playmakers & linemen, too).

I was just saying it reminded me of the situation. Wasn’t attacking you.

Oh and I think Wilson is on field dumb also.

10 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

The thing is these off target throws happen when he has a clean pocket and no pressure.  There really is no excuse except he is wound to tight to function. That should change.

The excuse is he sucks. Simplest excuse possible. Occam’s Razor 

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

People point to the Flacco game to rip Zach because Elijah Moore caught 8 passes for 144 yards and a TD in that game, and Moore has largely disappeared when Zach plays. Moore has five TDs this season—only one of those were thrown by Wilson. It’s evidence that Zach is the problem and not the talent around him.

QBs make the weaponz not the other way around.

Zach sucks at football. Can you improve? Odds get longer every week.

9 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Moore is good.   He’s dropped lots of contested balls from Zach that an elite possession guy catches.    Some of the lower stats is on Moore.  

Also didn’t they use Moore differently at the start of the season?

I can’t picture HS and college kids hanging with Moore.  He’s used to being open.  He’s also a rookie who seems extremely driven.  I would not be surprised to see a big jump in that area as he works it.  

You’re so far in the tank I’m going to call you Sherman.

5 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

I'm not giving up on this kid...yet.  Darnold was given 3 years to prove himself and even after that, there were many here who still wanted to keep him, but all he needed was a better surrounding cast of players.  Right now this kid has the yips...can it be fixed?  I don't really know, but I'm not in favor of severing the cord on him...too soon.  There are lot of factors hoovering around this organization besides bad QB play.  You know them well...HC, GM, young players, injuries (especially to key WR's)...oh, and the uniform sucks...lol.  Seriously though, let's give the kid at least 2-3 years before we ship him off and see what develops and see what kind of team JD has built.

The objectivity of a post is inversely proportional to the number of times the word “kid” appears in it.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

The excuse is he sucks. Simplest excuse possible. Occam’s Razor 

QBs make the weaponz not the other way around.

Zach sucks at football. Can you improve? Odds get longer every week.

You’re so far in the tank I’m going to call you Sherman.

The objectivity of a post is inversely proportional to the number of times the word “kid” appears in it.

Ugh.   Everyone forgot to get permission to have an opinion again.  Sorry! 

43 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

That's exactly what I was trying to point out...let's give this kid a couple more years...if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out.  It isn't like this organization has nailed franchise QB's with their draft picks.

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

• Haha 1