Connor Hughes on Wilson's inaccuracy

Dcat

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Most alarming to me is that he was supposed to be this plus athlete which was going to to be a great equalizer, but he moves like he has arthritic ankles and they’re tied together. I thought it was fishy that he refused to run or do agility drills at his pro day, but now we know why. 

That was bullsh!t all along. I called it during his pro day when he showed up heavier to alleviate concerns about his weight, but refused to run his 40 because of a mystery "hamstring issue" that didn't seem to affect him during the rest of the workout. Even now he looks like he is playing heavier than he did at BYU (this is a good thing because it allows him to weather more hits from the defense) but he lost speed as a result. 

I don't think Wilson has the yips like many of you are saying. I think his accuracy plummets when defenders are close because he is scared of getting hit. It was on his BYU tape and I don't think it ever goes away. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Fair take and approach. 

I think before the NFL Zach’s always had a really good grip of what the defense is doing.That he’s a near photographic memory kind of a guy.  

He’s building his library.  He’s got the goods.  

He already is elite against cover 2-cover 3 type stuff.  It’s consistent.  So the Oppsoing DCs are giving him a steady diet of what he struggles with.   They are winning the battle (as they should) but losing the war as they tutor Zach. 

Unless Zach has had a jump in progress today will be the ugliest game of the year.  

Are there statistics that back up this assertion? Your guy was good at BYU last year because you had one of the best lines in the conference and both Milne and Romney were good enough to beat 1 star CBs on contested catches. That was never going to be the case in the NFL and, outside of 2 throws in the Tennessee game, it hasn't been. 

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Are there statistics that back up this assertion? Your guy was good at BYU last year because you had one of the best lines in the conference and both Milne and Romney were good enough to beat 1 star CBs on contested catches. That was never going to be the case in the NFL and, outside of 2 throws in the Tennessee game, it hasn't been. 

It won’t matter.  Stats have been put in lots times but the echo chamber in here doesn’t care.  

1 hour ago, Hal N of Provo said:

He has made lots of great escapes in the pocket.  He has coaches who tell him what to do.  They don’t want him running obviously.  

Looks a lot like Geno Smith doing the Madden backing up thing in the face of a pass rush. A real NFL QB steps up and gets rid of the ball.If he keeps doing that, he will take some very abd hits.  There are exceptions like Good Lamar Jackson scooting for yardage. Wilson hasn't shown that at all. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/18/2021 at 11:29 AM, Greensleeves said:

Any athlete knows that when you are thinking too much it effects your performance. Once he gets comfortable and completes some passes he will be fine. It would help to have some open receivers this Sunday - I watch a lot great QBs on good teams and their receivers seem to be much more open than ours aside from Elijah.

Yeah maybe he'll complete a pass or 2 today

34 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

You are blinded by Zach hate @jgb if you can’t see Zach is elusive that’s on you. 

It's funny. You guys accuse me of being obsessed with being right on a messageboard but here you are in the middle of a close game tagging me every 5 minutes like a FaceBook friend who just started "consulting" for Herbalife.

Watch the game. We have all week to debate.

Go Jets!

4 hours ago, maury77 said:

That was bullsh!t all along. I called it during his pro day when he showed up heavier to alleviate concerns about his weight, but refused to run his 40 because of a mystery "hamstring issue" that didn't seem to affect him during the rest of the workout. Even now he looks like he is playing heavier than he did at BYU (this is a good thing because it allows him to weather more hits from the defense) but he lost speed as a result. 

I don't think Wilson has the yips like many of you are saying. I think his accuracy plummets when defenders are close because he is scared of getting hit. It was on his BYU tape and I don't think it ever goes away. 

Crap Wilson is scared.  Understandably so, he is a boy playing in the NFL with grown men.

• Upvote 1

On 12/18/2021 at 12:34 PM, jgb said:

It's probably because he sucks.

He might suck, but I blame JD who failed to put and adequate roster to both Sam and Zach. He should have also sat Zach in 2021 and allow him to learn the NFL pace.

This is all on JD who keeps making false promises to his young QBs.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Bronx said:

He might suck, but I blame JD who failed to put and adequate roster to both Sam and Zach. He should have also sat Zach in 2021 and allow him to learn the NFL pace.

This is all on JD who keeps.making false promises to his young QBs.

I hear you and do agree partially.

Zach should've sat. He looks like a project out there. JD definitely whiffed badly by failing to bring in a Minshew/Trubisky/Tyrod/Teddy type as a bridge (as I mentioned in the off season).

I do disagree a bit on the adequate roster thing though. First, Sam was already done when JD had his first draft here. He also failed in Carolina with an elite RB and a top-10 WR. Second, the OL is considered to be around middle of the pack and the weaponinz -- IMHO -- are a lot better than they appear with the one of the worst QB in the NFL. If you put one of the aforementioned QBs on this roster, Jets offense wouldn't be setting records but would definitely be a competent NFL offense. All IMHO.

23 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Such a strange and incorrect take.

Only way to see he was scared is if that's what you were looking for....

He literally runs sideways and backwards the second a defender gets near him. Sometimes you have to hang in the pocket and throw straight by the guy who's about to blast you.

Mac Jones does this a few times every week. Our little guy crumbles to dust any time pressure comes near him. 

5 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

He literally runs sideways and backwards the second a defender gets near him. Sometimes you have to hang in the pocket and throw straight by the guy who's about to blast you.

Mac Jones does this a few times every week. Our little guy crumbles to dust any time pressure comes near him. 

Pressure consistently comes up the middle - that is a fact.  Mac Jones has a pocket.  Zach Wilson does not.

When a pocket is there he steps into it.  It's not fear.  I've seen nothing from this kid to say he's scared - other than from people that didn't like him pre-draft on JetNation.

I recalled him getting hit multiple times - from the blindside - while sitting in the pocket.  

• Upvote 1