****OFFICIAL JETS VS DOLPHINS - NOT CRACKED YET GAME THREAD****

8 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Here's the deal. When Zach washes out in 3 years, you'll never watch another Jets game again, just like how this is probably the first time you've ever "rooted" for an NFL Football team (Well, maybe you were a 49ers/Eagles fan 25 years ago). You are itinerant. You and your opinions literally mean absolutely nothing here, even the guys agreeing with you today don't really care about your opinion. People like you come and go. Know why you keep getting called "Helen"? Anyone fill you in?

Some of us have been Jets fans for DECADES. For myself, this makes about 46 seasons of rooting for this mess. We've gone through a dozen players just like Zach in the past 20 or so years. 

I hope he gets it. I do. That would be the best case scenario... it's slim chances.

But if he doesn’t, we'll still be here. And you'll be on some BYU board griping about the nasty, mean New Yorkers you once dealt with for a few months.

So yeah. Yawn.

I picked the name as Zachs Helen of Troy. I know the history.   Don’t care.  

From what I have seen so far, I think ZW’s upside is Derek Carr/Andy Dalton, on a good day Matt Stafford, whose 1st year stats he resembles. 

For a team that was basically trading a Sam Darnold experiment for that, and who did not have to mortgage its future by trading draft picks to pick ZW (because we stunk enough last year to pick high), that is not a bad thing.  His $8mm/year cost is probably close to what he is worth at this point, and the Jets have upside.  JD could have been bold and picked or traded down for Kyle Pitts, the likely BPA there.   But the Johnsons wanted a new QB.  I am not sure that Lance, Fields or even Lawrence end up materially better NFL QBs than ZW, but I am sure that most of them, if not all of them, will be much better next year. 

But the Buccaneers won a SB 6 years after drafting Winston.  They did not waste money on other expensive, overrated QBs.  They signed players like Ryan Jensen and built a team.  So that is JD’s job now.  And to make sure that ZW is supported and developed. 

I think we all expect that the problem children of 2021 (Wilson, Becton, Mims, others) show up next year in shape, tuned in and ready to go.   I don’t consider ZW busting as being a materially fatal event, even if he does.  But I do believe that JD could have found 4 starters better than the guys he has in the 2020 draft, and he completely whiffed that.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, ausman said:

The defense gave up 31 points to the Dolphins and couldn’t get a stop in the last third of the game.  Anything else is window dressing.  24 should be enough for any team to get a win.

The defense scored 7 of the 24 and was responsible for another 3

The offense had a lead going into the second half and couldn’t put up 50 yards and 0 points.

Yeah, Window dressing, ? 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Bart Scott is awesome. 

I usually like him but thought tonight he misunderstood the dynamic between Wilson and Bien Amine and took shots at Zach that were unmerited. 

(I think Zach was short with DJ precisely BECAUSE he saw through that DJ was trying to bait him into blaming his teammates). Bart went off on this crazy rant because he thought Wilson didn't recognize that he was being dissed and thought that was a sign the kid is unaware of how his performance has been. I saw it totally different - agree Zach mishandled the question but more because he needs thicker skin to handle our press here than because he is detached from what's going on) 

31 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Here's the deal. When Zach washes out in 3 years, you'll never watch another Jets game again, just like how this is probably the first time you've ever "rooted" for an NFL Football team (Well, maybe you were a 49ers/Eagles fan 25 years ago). You are itinerant. You and your opinions literally mean absolutely nothing here, even the guys agreeing with you today don't really care about your opinion. People like you come and go. Know why you keep getting called "Helen"? Anyone fill you in?

Some of us have been Jets fans for DECADES. For myself, this makes about 46 seasons of rooting for this mess. We've gone through a dozen players just like Zach in the past 20 or so years. 

I hope he gets it. I do. That would be the best case scenario... it's slim chances.

But if he doesn’t, we'll still be here. And you'll be on some BYU board griping about the nasty, mean New Yorkers you once dealt with for a few months.

So yeah. Yawn.

Like all those Gator fans that were here for Tebow…….   Great post.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

56 years for me.  I eat Prozac like Pez.

1 hour ago, Ken Schroy said:

I feel your pain. I go back to the early Joe Willy days too.

I was a good but casual fan un til I went to college in 81 in Fredonia NY and had to defend the JETS. Galvanized me.  

This teams fan kit should come with KY jelly.  

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, BP said:

Excuse me Mr. Warfish, sir. Is that a sheepshead in your avatar?

it’s the blackfish of Florida. Love them.

Once so populated the waters off Brooklyn so that the seafaring area was and still is called Sheepshead Bay. Despite much cleaner waters such that dolphins, seals and whales are now common sites in our area, nobody living today in and around NYC has ever seen nor caught a sheepshead in local waters. 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I saw a good but casual fan un til I went to college in 81 in Fredonia NY and had to defend the JETS. Galvanized me.  

This teams fan kit should come with KY jelly.  

It certainly feels that way

look at this way: I have seen 6 champion ships in my lifetime and 3 were in the same year 1969, I was 15 years old

Jets 1 in 62 years

Mets 2 in 60 years

Rangers 1 in 80 years

Knicks 2 in 75 years

such misery, that’s why the KY probably would make it easier

though each year bring new hope, oh well

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

I've been preaching that Zach is a rookie and we have to be patient.  However as the # 2 player picked in the draft he has to make some plays that picks his team up. I'm not expecting miracles, just show me glimpses of something special.  Something that he and the Jets can build on as the talent around him improves. So far I haven't seen it. I'm not ready to leave the party, but I am starting to get slightly nervous.

Correct, Hasn't shown anything. 

They certainly weren’t doing much im the twilight of Rivers’ career, or under Tyrod Taylor.  In fact Mike Williams looked like a bust his first 4 years in the league until Herbert came along.
But sure, chalk up Herbert’s success and Wilson’s “meh” play (at his best) to circumstances.  History will surely end up looking kindly on that perspective.

They both had 1000 yards receiving the year before Herbert. River’s last year, but I guess that sucks according to your logic.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I usually like him but thought tonight he misunderstood the dynamic between Wilson and Bien Amine and took shots at Zach that were unmerited. 
(I think Zach was short with DJ precisely BECAUSE he saw through that DJ was trying to bait him into blaming his teammates). Bart went off on this crazy rant because he thought Wilson didn't recognize that he was being dissed and thought that was a sign the kid is unaware of how his performance has been. I saw it totally different - agree Zach mishandled the question but more because he needs thicker skin to handle our press here than because he is detached from what's going on) 

I thought that was over the top. He should be more mad about the fact that they gave up 1 billion yards rushing to a team that can’t run the ball, but I guess that is over looked and we are losing because Zach can’t make Denzel Mims, Braxton Berrios, Keelan Cole and Jameson Crowder beat man cover and get open.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No one learned a thing over the last decade.  Not a f**king thing.

I get the hope. What I don't get is accusing people who are skeptical of Zach of being trolls or secret agents for the Patriots on a deep cover mission to sow dissention on Jetnation.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, jgb said:

I get the hope. What I don't get is accusing people who are skeptical of Zach of being trolls or secret agents for the Patriots on a deep cover mission to sow dissention on Jetnation.

They live in a world where they’ve already decided  Jones can’t play the position, yet Zach needs 2 more years, a new OL, one QB coach, a #1 WR, and a top defense before they decide whether he has accuracy issues….

I wouldn’t take them too seriously.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

9 points off of turnovers. That is part of a winning formula. You will win more games than you lose when you score twice off of turnovers. Now let's finish this!

Turnover battle, Michael Carter was back, the kicker is even doing what he's supposed to do... and this team still can't win.

The Jets will continue to get their 3 or 4 surprise victories each season but in terms of being able to consistently win more games than you lose?  That still seems years away.

Geez!  I'm not asking for a ton.  I just want a team that can get to the point of winning something like 3 out of every 5 games.

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Turnover battle, Michael Carter was back, the kicker is even doing what he's supposed to do... and this team still can't win.

The Jets will continue to get their 3 or 4 surprise victories each season but in terms of being able to consistently win more games than you lose?  That still seems years away.

Geez!  I'm not asking for a ton.  I just want a team that can get to the point of winning something like 3 out of every 5 games.

I think a big part of our problem is right there in your answer.

This team is so barren of talent, we get overly excited with guys like Carter, the kicker or any other rookie who plays decent minutes.

We forget that these guys wouldn’t be looked at as key contributors on a good team, they’d be backups or role players.

Getting time on an expansion roster doesn’t mean a player is good. It means he can play on a really bad team.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, xJayce said:

To be clear, I'm not saying time will not prove you right regarding ZW. In 3 years, ZW may be a bust and the team moves on. That's definitely a possibility. Either way, he'll be given a shot. Either way, he's here for at least 2 more years, and will most likely be starting during his tenure. He's definitely struggled this year. I'm not even going to say he's had 'flashes' because I hate that expression. :) You are fully entitled to your opinion.

But hey, feel free to disregard. That's obviously a great response when you don't have anything to add. ;)

Let me explain something. If Zach Wilson comes out next year and his first 2 or 3 games resemble anything like this year he will not make it to his third year.  I'm not sure the Jets can pull off the "Mike White Mystery Illness" for an entire season.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, tfine said:

We will not know about Zach until about a year or two. If you expecting a Justin Herbert type season, it was not possible with the roster that we have.

Pretty sure San Diego had one of the worst lines in the league Herberts first year...Joe Borrow got his leg snapped in half.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, Bugg said:

Once so populated the waters off Brooklyn so that the seafaring area was and still is called Sheepshead Bay. Despite much cleaner waters such that dolphins, seals and whales are now common sites in our area, nobody living today in and around NYC has ever seen nor caught a sheepshead in local waters. 

I love going blackfish fishing here (NJ), you either gotta go out to wrecks or go into the rocks in spring or fall.

Anyways I was in Florida 30 years ago with a friend visiting his father and he’s like we’re going fishing, right off the dock. What are we fishing for? Sheepshead. He’s scraping barnacles off the dock and we’re using shrimp as bait (I’m thinking crustaceans for bait? Just like black fish) I caught one and it looks just like a blackfish except for the color and rings on it. Tasted exactly the same and had the same v bone you have to remove when you clean them

1 hour ago, Wayne80 said:

I don’t think we can make a fair assessment until year 11 or 12

If 34-year old Sam Darnold comes into a game in relief in 2031 and plays decently, you can be sure there will be people here telling us they were right all along about him.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Exactly. This is all I was looking for. 

But you have the toolbags saying “I thought Zach was supposed to be great” then reveling in an ok outing. Pretty sure they are disappointed he didn’t throw a killer INT or skip pass to a wide open receiver 8 yards away. 

I thought we drafted Zach for his ability to make all the throws including the kind of throws NFL QBs make every week.  

I think the kid is taking way too much criticism.  He’s clearly not ready and the team hasn’t lifted him.  He hasn’t earned a minute of playing time.  That’s not his fault.  You have to be a tool bag not to recognize what a cluster f Saleh has been.  “We will lift you” what jerk off would throw that jive out there.  

14 hours ago, Barton said:

Zach was ehh today. At least he made the easy throws.

One thing that's really bad is, whenever there is pressure, he automatically runs backwards - instead of potentially shifting/stepping up in the pocket. Me thinks he's been shell shocked by the early play of the Oline during the 1st quarter of the season. 

He did the running backwards thing at BYU as well.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, jgb said:

If 34-year old Sam Darnold comes into a game in relief in 2031 and plays decently, you can be sure there will be people here telling us they were right all along about him.

Sam was bad because he was bad.  He had an excellent supporting cast and cutting edge coaching here.  Adam Gase has made all of his quarterbacks better just ask Ryan Tannehill