Jets Missed George Fant Dearly!

1 minute ago, DoubleDecker said:

Can't believe I'm typing this but the Jets missed George Fant at LT. The pressure from the left is what started getting the ball rolling and opened up the dam.  Jet's have to get some definitive answers man, here's hoping they can at least solidify the line this offseason!

Can Fant tackle?

29 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Remember when some posters were calling for JD's head for signing George Fant to the contract he did?

Good times.  We should be resigning him in the off-season.

And pointed to Fant as one of the players that proves JDs FA signings all suck

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And pointed to Fant as one of the players that proves JDs FA signings all suck

Should we get a Roll-Call of the genius' who said we should CUT Fant after he told a reporter that switching to the LT is hard and will be challenging?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mrmajix said:

WTF is Becton? When are any of the players, coaches or media going to call him out from his hiding place? 

I don't think they are.  I think they babied the injury and are now tough-loving him to get him up to game shape even though he will not play at all.  Gotta work out all his babyfat before he does anything.  Draft a T, he begins the season as the swing tackle next year behind Fant and draftee and works his ass off to become everything he can, hopefully.

Fant is scheduled to make $9mm next year, not guaranteed.  

JD should offer him $15mm for the next three years, $20mm guaranteed, team option year 3.   McGovern is an overpaid center.  I would give him the same deal for 2022, 1.5 years guaranteed.  Fill the spot and give him time to get another contract maybe.  

He should understand that he will be competing with Becton for L/R, but he is the leading candidate for LT in 2022.

We can drop Fant in year 3 and pick up Becton’s fifth year option to play LT if he gets his stuff together.  

I would offer Moses $5mm x 2 years to be the “backup/swing T” for the next two years.  

It would really great if the no 3 of the 3 could play RG.   Or extend LDT now.  

The Jets OL under contract next year are Fant, AVT, McG, GVR, Becton, Edoga and Isaiah Williams who we just cut.  GVR and Becton should not be on this team.   JD paid Dan Feeney $4.2mm to “play” in 2021.  That is reason enough to fire him.  How much was Elflein?  $5mm?  

If I was JD I would lock down the average OL he has and surf for mid-range FAs to replace the guys we have.  Even Conor McDermott is a UFA.  

I believe that the Plan for our apparently overmatched GM was to overpay Fant and McGovern, and sign Moses for 1 year, with the expectation that he would find draft gems to replace them cheap.   That did not work.  The record will reflect many starting NFL OL picked in 2020 while the Jets were picking in rounds 2-4.   That would have partially solved the problem.

But Fant, McGovern and Moses are professional capable NFL football players and good dudes to boot.   We should avoid the temptation to take Neal or Linderbaum in the first round and fill the LB, CB, EDGE and WR holes.  

Whether Fant is really good, or he is the best LT backup we have, the real problem is that the Jets have a dearth of talent on the right side and no other real backups. For example, while Moore is likely the best receiver we have, the real problem is that nobody else who is playing is any good. If we had more talent and depth, it wouldn't be so hard when we loose a good player

3 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Whether Fant is really good, or he is the best LT backup we have, the real problem is that the Jets have a dearth of talent on the right side and no other real backups. For example, while Moore is likely the best receiver we have, the real problem is that nobody else who is playing is any good. If we had more talent and depth, it wouldn't be so hard when we loose a good player

Good point.  Based on Mim’s flashes in 2021, we thought that the Jets had a leading WR room in Davis, Mims, Moore, Crowder, Cole and Berrios.  

The last three are not under contract in 2022 and Mims looks like a tremendous bust for this system.  So that means that the Jets need to rebuild WR in 2022, along with most of the other position groups.

JD’s plan on building through the draft only works when you draft well.