Positives & Negative from Jets-Dolphins game

Hex

Look, Jets are a bad team!  We knew this going into the season. Vegas and the media put us at 4-5 wins +/-.  So if you’re watching expecting a win, life is hard. Saleh and JD are right where they expected to be.

The only real issue this year is player development. In general, that has gone fairly well. AVT, the Carters, QW senior, the young dbs are progressing.

Zach and Benton—important players—have not had up years. The jury is still out on them. Way too early draw conclusions but not too early to worry.

OL has gelled fairly well and should put Jets in position to start next season well. Especially if JD brings in reinforcements.

Yes, there’s still plenty of ways for the Jets to screw up. But there are reasonable chances the Jets will be substantially better next season.

Be an optimist and be happier. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

the biggest negative i saw was the lack of adjustment on both the offense and defense.  granted they didn't have any real outside receivers but the way they were being pressured kind of means they weren't going deep much.  as for the defense, they were getting mauled at the point of attack or took bad angles when making tackles or failing to set the edge.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

the biggest negative i saw was the lack of adjustment on both the offense and defense.  granted they didn't have any real outside receivers but the way they were being pressured kind of means they weren't going deep much.  as for the defense, they were getting mauled at the point of attack or took bad angles when making tackles or failing to set the edge.

We didn't need much adjustment going into the 2nd half, and yet we saw it anyways

The wrong way

11 minutes ago, addage said:

Look, Jets are a bad team!  We knew this going into the season. Vegas and the media put us at 4-5 wins +/-.  So if you’re watching expecting a win, life is hard. Saleh and JD are right where they expected to be.

The only real issue this year is player development. In general, that has gone fairly well. AVT, the Carters, QW senior, the young dbs are progressing.

Zach and Benton—important players—have not had up years. The jury is still out on them. Way too early draw conclusions but not too early to worry.

OL has gelled fairly well and should put Jets in position to start next season well. Especially if JD brings in reinforcements.

Yes, there’s still plenty of ways for the Jets to screw up. But there are reasonable chances the Jets will be substantially better next season.

Be an optimist and be happier. 

Totally agree. I think that first half Zach showed was one of his better ones, and if the Jets can go into halftime with leads more, that's progress. Zach is getting more accurate, and as much as people here say he isn't the only questionable throw that I saw in the first half was tipped. If he can get into a rhythm, he will play well. We saw this at BYU too

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I agree with some of this.

I think, for the offence, if the D is coming at you with lots of pressure, my limited football knowledge pushed me to believe we should be leveraging screens / draws more to help slow them down a bit? I think we only had the one screen to the TE that went for 25 yards. Would have liked to see more the keep the D honest. Also, I think we couldn't go deep because the D was just gunning for us, not that they were gunning for us because we couldn't go deep, but that may just be my interpretation.

For the D, I don't think it's about adjustments, I think it's about wanting it more. How many broken tackles?! As has been said before, no coach teaches you to miss tackles. There were multiple times when the D would have the Phins at TFL or minimal gain, then the RB would end up picking 4-6 yards. That provides a ton of flexibility to the Phins in what they can call. Start making a few of those plays and the game changes dramatically, you're forcing Tua to have to make more throws.

As much as we want to look at individual performances, its still a team game.  Zach playing with a lead vs playing from behind is completely different.  He was playing the second half without his top 3 WRs and Connor Mcdermott and Dan Feeney as the left side of his offensive line.  Thats not going to work.  I also dont understand how our OL communication is so poor, unless thats just Zach needing more experience. 

Defensively Hall has become an upper echelon starter and the PI on him was a terrible call but QW was invisible today and we got gashed in the run game by a very average OL and Duke Johnson - sadly that falls squarely on this scheme.  No team should ever be giving up 120+ scrimmage yards to duke johnson.

They need to draft defense and a TE and hope that Zach can take a step forward when he has more weapons.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Irish Jet said:

So we’re all gonna act like Zach’s final throw of the half never happened?

Cool.

Yea, let's focus on the one bad throw of the half. You can crap all you want on his second half, that was horrible, but his first half was fine.

You can see for this Saleh defense picking an Edge, particularly Karlaftis, could allow JD to let Quinnen walk and get more pass rush at the same time.  

I try to spend the Johnsons’ money like it was my own, and paying QW a big contract is not looking like a good investment.  The Jets just need to get to the point, like the Steeler, Packers and Patriots, where you identify your good draft picks to get good second contracts, as opposed to letting your own draft picks walk and paying money to other teams draft picks they don’t want to sign. 

• Upvote 1

people go ga ga over the stupid trick plays, and maybe we need them...but the fact we have so little talent that we need to run like 3 passes to the QB in one quarter makes me sad.

Douglas has some serious work to do in the offseason. This team needs just about everything.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, varjet said:

You can see for this Saleh defense picking an Edge, particularly Karlaftis, could allow JD to let Quinnen walk and get more pass rush at the same time.  

I try to spend the Johnsons’ money like it was my own, and paying QW a big contract is not looking like a good investment.  The Jets just need to get to the point, like the Steeler, Packers and Patriots, where you identify your good draft picks to get good second contracts, as opposed to letting your own draft picks walk and paying money to other teams draft picks they don’t want to sign. 

seems counterproductive to let ANY good players walk when you have so little talent on the team.

• Upvote 1

good - The defense starts with heart; the offense looked good with the OL opening holes and mostly protecting Zack. D got a bunch of turnovers including pick 6. Zack had a good half against a really tough D (good pass rush and secondary). Zack read D well, even rushed the QB sneak to trap 12 men. Scored 17 points in first half including TD on first drive. No INTs for Zack (but there was a fumble)

bad - The Defense either gets exposed early, or gets tired in the end. D is weak against run which just kills you. The WRs get no separation (or take too long). The TEs are terrible and yet they had most of the production in the first half. When Miami's D turned up the pressure, the OL could pass or run block. IOW Miami D adjusted, and Jets O couldn't; the same is true for Miami O and Jets D. Scored no offensive points in second half. No TD throws for Zack.