Sticking up for the OL

jgb

Just now, jgb said:

Mac Jones' top two receivers are UDFAs.

Justin Herbert played behind the worst OL in the NFL last year.

The surrounding cast does make a difference. But it doesn't turn the worst QB in the NFL to a guy worthy of building your team around.

Both of Mac Jones' top 2 receivers have at least 3 years of experience, and he has the best coach in the history of the NFL (Scumbag!) coaching him. He was put into a win-now team, of course he's doing better

Herbert is a terrible outlier to use in your argument

I'm not saying Zach played good but you're only encompassing half of the picture

A better comparison you should use is Darnold, who also played pretty badly in his rookie year. He isn't an outlier, he's the average rookie QB thrown into play

When a QB holds onto the ball too long, has no feel for the pocket and doesnt understand where the pressure is coming from they arent going to look good.

That said, they're pretty mediocre. AVT like becton last season is being vastly over rated by some on here. He is having a solid rookie campaign and looks to have room to grow but has had ups and downs and struggles. Some people have convinced themselves becton and avt are all pros. Maybe one day they will be.

1 minute ago, Hex said:

Both of Mac Jones' top 2 receivers have at least 3 years of experience, and he has the best coach in the history of the NFL (Scumbag!) coaching him. He was put into a win-now team, of course he's doing better

Herbert is a terrible outlier to use in your argument

I'm not saying Zach played good but you're only encompassing half of the picture

A better comparison you should use is Darnold, who also played pretty badly in his rookie year. He isn't an outlier, he's the average rookie QB thrown into play

I'll make a deal here and now. I will never use Herbert again to criticize Zach if his defenders never use Allen again to support him.

14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The Oline has definitely been better this year. Today, not their best day.

Yeah. Forget about Zach. We absolutely couldn't run the ball in the second half. There were defenders behind the line almost every time we ran. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

If that's his best, I've already won the debate.

100% agreed. 

13 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

LOL, kid played the least awful game  he ever played so you are defending all the other players for the people all blaming them? Personally I think the coaching staff, the team and Zach Wilson deserve a big thank for all they did to help this young man play his least awfulness today and I thank  you Johnny.. for making sure they do!!! Bravo sir! Bravo! 

So since I said least awful gave you haven’t  won anything but please allow me to suggest you might need an eye exam. 

Just now, The Crusher said:

100% agreed. 

So since I said least awful gave you have won anything but please allow me to suggest you might need an eye exam. 

Least awful is best. The only difference is you look down to see one, and up to see the other.

3 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I am shocked that this particular poster started this thread. 

We get it. You hate Zach. 

We get it. You hate Zach. 

We get it. 

No, I support the 99 guys on the team who at least resemble competent football players in spurts over the 1 who is the worst-rated in the league. The hate on this board for the Jets is really disappointing.

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Ok, that’s good. You get the win on that . Haha 

If the Jets are ever good again I'll be a SAR-level homer. But heart follows facts when it comes to the Jets, now. 

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

That part nobody minds,  it’s the constant sh*tting down our backs when it sits on our shoulders. 

The Jets did the sh*tting. I just have to much respect for my fellow posters to tell people it's raining.

26 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Perfect? How about one of his top 2 WRs and not play with 3rd string left tackle?

I'd settle for average average surrounding talent.  

Doesn’t matter who’s playing with him.  The best he’s done in a game s mediocre and that’s a fact.  Average at best.  Once a year.  One half per game maybe.  

I’m not trying to pile on but enough with the damn excuses and make the plays.  The best QB’s make wide receivers into stars.  Not saying Zach is one of the best QB but that’s what we are striving for right?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

Just now, jgb said:

If the Jets are ever good again I'll be a SAR-level homer. But heart follows facts when it comes to the Jets, now. 

The Jets did the sh*tting. I just have to much respect for my fellow posters to tell people it's raining.

Why do you hate the jets?  Today I felt they played a game worth watching. Couple hero balls from Zach and maybe they win this one. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Why do you hate the jets?  Today I felt they played a game worth watching. Couple hero balls from Zach and maybe they win this one. 

I do not hate them. I root for them to succeed. I don't want them to be embarrassed against JAX next week, screw the draft position. I think the team is nowhere near as bad as it looks and with competent QB play we'd have a pretty decent offense. I'm one of the most positive people on this board -- I think we're one piece away from a good football team.

It's just that for some reason "Like QB/Don't like QB" has become some kind of proxy for fandom and people can crap all over the weaponiz, OL, coaches, coordinators, etc., and still consider themselves "optimistic" because they like the QB.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

46 minutes ago, jgb said:

The Jets Offensive Line is so much better at their jobs than Zach is. I'm sick of the haterz blaming everything on a unit that is dramatically over-performing and showing great improvement. We got your back, guys!!!

12. NEW YORK JETS (UP 4)

Best-graded: C Connor McGovern | 75.2
Worst-graded: G Laurent Duvernay-Tardif | 57.9

The Jets have thrown a lot of resources at the offensive line in recent years, and while it’s still not a fantastic unit, it has made massive steps in the right direction, even after losing key members, such as Mekhi Becton, to injury. George Fant has moved over to left tackle, and while he was a liability there earlier in his career, he has allowed just one sack all season.

Rookie Alijah Vera-Tucker endured a tough run of play but looks to be past that poor stretch. He is back playing solid football. He has surrendered 38 pressures this season but been a far better run-blocker.

I think the Oline has been generally good the last few games, struggled a bit today, but I was also hearing that free runners were coming in and neither the RB nor the QB were picking them up, leading to Zack being sacked in under 2 seconds or running for his life.

Other situations, (ie - holding the ball too long once or twice) can make the Oline look bad, but I see it as shared responsibility (ie - Oline needs to give the QB 3-3.5 seconds to pass, the QB needs to get the ball out of his hands in 3-3.5 seconds as well).

Not sure about the posters coming in saying we need to spend 1 or 2 first rounders on the Oline... 

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

I do not hate them. I root for them to succeed. I don't want them to be embarrassed against JAX next week, screw the draft position. I think the team is nowhere near as bad as it looks and with competent QB play we'd have a pretty decent offense. I'm one of the most positive people on this board -- I think we're one piece away from a good football team.

It's just that for some reason "Like QB/Don't like QB" has become some kind of proxy for fandom and people can crap all over the weaponiz, OL, coaches, coordinators, etc., and still consider themselves "optimistic" because they like the QB.

You said they played like crap! People said the line didn’t play well and that made them hate the Jets. But calling them crap doesn’t? Damn dude wtf?

I agree with you though. I enjoyed the Mike White and Joe Flacco gave abs his good the offense looked. But..

This season wax 100% about Zach Wilson period, nobody cares that you don’t want to get embarrassed next week. They care about trying to find out if Zach is going to keep improving and I got  one don’t blame you for hating them for it. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, xJayce said:

I think the Oline has been generally good the last few games, struggled a bit today, but I was also hearing that free runners were coming in and neither the RB nor the QB were picking them up, leading to Zack being sacked in under 2 seconds or running for his life.

Other situations, (ie - holding the ball too long once or twice) can make the Oline look bad, but I see it as shared responsibility (ie - Oline needs to give the QB 3-3.5 seconds to pass, the QB needs to get the ball out of his hands in 3-3.5 seconds as well).

Not sure about the posters coming in saying we need to spend 1 or 2 first rounders on the Oline... 

Definitely shared responsibly. I am just highly skeptical that even a jump in OL from #12 to #5 will move Zach from the worst QB in the league (by QBR) into a guy who sees a second contract here.

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

You said they played like crap! People said the line didn’t play well and that made them hate the Jets. But calling them crap doesn’t? Damn dude wtf?

I agree with you though. I enjoyed the Mike White and Joe Flacco game and how good the offense looked. But..

This season was 100% about Zach Wilson period, nobody cares that you don’t want to get embarrassed next week. They care about trying to find out if Zach is going to keep improving and I got  one don’t blame you for hating them for it. 

Wait, what? I said who played like crap????

No Ints 2 weeks in a row. That's progress. He made the short passes. He was accurate. He made good decisions. Escaped the collapsing pocket several times. Crazy escape avoiding multiple rushers and then back across the field to Griffen for a big play. Another amazing escape to run for a first down. He made plays. We had no deep threat WRs. We moved the ball despite Cole and Mimms adding nothing. 

The whole offense sucked in the second half. How to put it all on Zach? There was crazy pressure on him, no running game, and no open receivers. The dolphins stepped it up on all fronts. It was a team loss, Zach was part of it. Give me a break that it was all his fault. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

Only 1 piece?

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

Wait, what? I said who played like crap????

20 minutes ago, jgb said:

LOL