Jump to content

Francesa on Giants


Barry McCockinner
 Share

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The Giants are about as bad as we are right now. Difference is we have been this bad for most of the 80's, 90's, and anything with 20 in front of it. 

I don't know if "We're Used to It" is a great way to feel as a fanbase...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

I miss Mike...at this moment on Sunday night I would be looking forward to the show on Monday and his take..say what you will about him...I went to a Francesa Con a few years ago and he met and took photos with everyone there over the course of 3 hours without complaining at all..I told him I have a son who is playing college ball and he was genuinely interested..he earned my respect that day.. Carton and Roberts is ghastly and completely unlistenable,

Francesca is the reason I stopped listening to the FAN in 2009 and made the switch to Sirius.  Never looked back.  The FAN has been joke for well over a decade.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

The Giants are about as bad as we are right now. Difference is we have been this bad for most of the 80's, 90's, and anything with 20 in front of it. 

This just isn't true. The Jets made the playoffs the same number of years as the Giants in the 80's , 90s and 00s. The only major difference is the two miraculous runs very mediocre Giants teams made to SB titles in 07 and 11.  The Jets were bad in the early to mid 90s and the past 10 seasons.  They were contenders for most the 80s and most of the 00s.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

I miss Mike...at this moment on Sunday night I would be looking forward to the show on Monday and his take..say what you will about him...I went to a Francesa Con a few years ago and he met and took photos with everyone there over the course of 3 hours without complaining at all..I told him I have a son who is playing college ball and he was genuinely interested..he earned my respect that day.. Carton and Roberts is ghastly and completely unlistenable,

I listened to Mike and the Mad Dog for over a decade at work but the longer Mike was on his own the more he became unbearable...he needed another person to balance out his personality and call him out once in a while.  But yeah I stopped listening to WFAN around 5 years ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

This just isn't true. The Jets made the playoffs the same number of years as the Giants in the 80's , 90s and 00s. The only major difference is the two miraculous runs very mediocre Giants teams made to SB titles in 07 and 11.  The Jets were bad in the early to mid 90s and the past 10 seasons.  They were contenders for most the 80s and most of the 00s.  

Yeah, those one & dones or 2nd round collapses (at best) from '83-'96 just screamed "contender" lol... Put the sour apple Kool Aid down and stop kidding yourself.

And I left the 1997 team out of the conversation because as much as the end of that season sucked, every Jet fan knew the worm was turning in our favor beginning with that '97 squad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, glenn31 said:

Yeah, those one & dones or 2nd round collapses (at best) from '83-'96 just screamed "contender" lol... Put the sour apple Kool Aid down and stop kidding yourself.

And I left the 1997 team out of the conversation because as much as the end of that season sucked, every Jet fan knew the worm was turning in our favor beginning with that '97 squad.

 Your memory and perception are just wrong.  The Jets were contenders in 85 and 86.  They were one of the best teams in the AFC in 85.  They missed a division title and home field advantage by a last minute TD loss to Miami.  They lost a tough playoff game at home vs the Pats who went on to beat  Oakland and Miami on the road to earn the privilege of getting stomped by the Bears. The Jets were the best team in the NFL for the first 11 weeks of '86 until the defense was decimated by injuries. Still, they did win a playoff game vs KC and they should have beaten the Browns the following week and played Denver in the AFC championship.  87-96 was a tough period.  They had a decent season in 88, beating the  Giants in the last game of 88, knocking them out of the playoffs.  They also made the playoffs in 91 (at 8-8).  I never said they were contenders in the early and mid 1990s.  But the 1980s - yes -  t he 81,82 85 and 86 teams were very good.  And they were good again from 97-2010  with an occasional bad year when the QBs were injured.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

I miss Mike...at this moment on Sunday night I would be looking forward to the show on Monday and his take..say what you will about him...I went to a Francesa Con a few years ago and he met and took photos with everyone there over the course of 3 hours without complaining at all..I told him I have a son who is playing college ball and he was genuinely interested..he earned my respect that day.. Carton and Roberts is ghastly and completely unlistenable,

Agreed.  As pompous as Francesa can be, he was far better than his replacements have been.  Plus the prank calls alone made the show awesome (even if you just followed Funhouse on Twitter)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

Fun fact, I actually worked at the country club mike belonged to, Many of the members there were absolutely terrible to the workers. Mike and his wife were extremely nice, went out of their way to be friendly and say hello how are you, I thought he came off like a jerk on the air sometimes but seeing how he treated us ‚Äúworkers‚ÄĚ changed my view on him completely¬†

That's actually awesome to hear.  I've never thought Mike was a bad guy but he definitely has been arrogant on the air.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, glenn31 said:

Yeah, those one & dones or 2nd round collapses (at best) from '83-'96 just screamed "contender" lol... Put the sour apple Kool Aid down and stop kidding yourself.

And I left the 1997 team out of the conversation because as much as the end of that season sucked, every Jet fan knew the worm was turning in our favor beginning with that '97 squad.

You were born in 1979. You know nothing about those teams of the early and mid 1980s!  I'm sure you were a football prodigy at age 6 during the 85 season.  Good try though portraying yourself as a expert on Jets history based on games you likely didn't even watch and seasons played when you were too young to remember them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Better than the Giants that year?

The Jets started out 10-1 and were blowing teams out. They blew out the Broncos (who won the AFC title) on Monday night in week 6-7 and sacked Elway multiple times. The Giants were 9-2 after 11 weeks and were wining close games.  The NY metro area was prepping for a potential subway SB. Then the Jets had some injuries and fell completely apart, losing 5 in a row to finish 10-6 while the Giants won out to go 14-2.  And the Giants went on to win the SB while the Jets lost in the divisional round.  But for the first 11 weeks, the Jets were the best team with the best record in the NFL.  

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The Jets started out 10-1 and were blowing teams out. They blew out the Broncos (who won the AFC title) on Monday night in week 6-7 and sacked Elway multiple times. The Giants were 9-2 after 11 weeks and were wining close games.  The NY metro area was prepping for a potential subway SB. Then the Jets had some injuries and fell completely apart, losing 5 in a row to finish 10-6 while the Giants won out to go 14-2.  And the Giants went on to win the SB while the Jets lost in the divisional round.  But for the first 11 weeks, the Jets were the best team with the best record in the NFL.  

Mark Gastineau single handily ruined the only chance at a Jets Giants SB.  Jets would have wiped the floor with Denver the following week, spread was going to be like 15 or some crazy sh*t.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

 Your memory and perception are just wrong.  The Jets were contenders in 85 and 86.  They were one of the best teams in the AFC in 85.  They missed a division title and home field advantage by a last minute TD loss to Miami.  They lost a tough playoff game at home vs the Pats who went on to beat  Oakland and Miami on the road to earn the privilege of getting stomped by the Bears. The Jets were the best team in the NFL for the first 11 weeks of '86 until the defense was decimated by injuries. Still, they did win a playoff game vs KC and they should have beaten the Browns the following week and played Denver in the AFC championship.  87-96 was a tough period.  They had a decent season in 88, beating the  Giants in the last game of 88, knocking them out of the playoffs.  They also made the playoffs in 91 (at 8-8).  I never said they were contenders in the early and mid 1990s.  But the 1980s - yes -  t he 81,82 85 and 86 teams were very good.  And they were good again from 97-2010  with an occasional bad year when the QBs were injured.  

They under the radar played the Bears very tough in 85 also . The final score was not an indication of that game . I recall even some of the Bears have been on the record about that. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

I miss Mike...at this moment on Sunday night I would be looking forward to the show on Monday and his take..say what you will about him...I went to a Francesa Con a few years ago and he met and took photos with everyone there over the course of 3 hours without complaining at all..I told him I have a son who is playing college ball and he was genuinely interested..he earned my respect that day.. Carton and Roberts is ghastly and completely unlistenable,

He earned your respect because he took pictures?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...