Are Zach's dropbacks too deep?

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

He was and is making the throw when guys are open.  His drops are fine. his pocket presence is fine.

Getting the ball out quickly is only a good idea when guys are open to get the ball out quickly.  

What I heard when he took a hit from the blindside and fumbled, in the pocket, was he held the ball too long - and it was his fault....but no one was open....So rather than back up to give himself time for someone to get open - you guys would rather him stand in a collapsing pocket to get hit.

Go look at the Eagles game when he had one WR that was capable of getting open - he stood in the pocket, stepped up and threw on time...

You need a pocket to stand in one - far too much pressure come up the middle.

If by pocket presence you mean when his hands are in his pockets - then maybe. 

His pocket presence right now is atrocious , the next time he steps up to avoid a rush , will be possibly be his first. Everything is back and to the right with this kid right now.  

7 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

His pocket presence right now is atrocious , the next time he steps up to avoid a rush , will be possibly be his first. Everything is back and to the right with this kid right now.  

He stepped up  in the pocket in the first half and threw a beautiful laser to Cole for what would have been a first down, but Cole dropped it.  

5 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

He stepped up  in the pocket in the first half and threw a beautiful laser to Cole for what would have been a first down, but Cole dropped it.  

Not saying it didn't happen , but I truly don't remember it. You have to agree though, he almost never steps up in the pocket. And I'm not talking , taking the ball and running, I'm talking stepping up to avoid a rush while continuing to scan his options. 

41 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I recall seeing him step up into the pocket a couple of times yesterday.  I remember being surprised seeing him do it, so maybe he's making some slight progress there. 

14 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

As I was watching the second half and the Fins were dialing up blitz after blitz, I found myself bewildered why zack was taking these 5 or 7 step drops. It should have been 3 steps and fire so the ball is out before the rush gets to him. I think this has been an issue in other games as well. I think with these deep drops, he is making it easier for edge rushers to get to him. Another issue is after he drops, he never steps up. 

It looks to me that he cant see the field from up in the pocket.  It is why he likes to drop deep or roll out.  If you watch Drew Brees, he often dropped back as far as Wilson does, *BUT* when Brees got to the back of his drop very, VERY quickly and took a look at the field, very, very quickly and made his decision on where and how to throw the ball very, very quickly.

Wilson is using part of the right tactic for a QB that is on the short side and has a low release point when he drops back beyond three steps, but he's not making a quick decision and quick throw as soon as he gets to the bottom of his drop.

I'd recommend he watch some Drew Brees film or give Brees a call and chat about the position.