Second half offensive game plan

BP

The lack of screens was alarming because when they do try play action or a roll out, there was a free rusher on almost every play.  I know they had a hodge podge at OL in there for the 2nd half, so I'm not sure if Zach was missing the protection calls or if guys were just missing their assignments but I do think they tried a few things here and there, especially on first down but they kept losing yardage and putting themselves in 2nd and long when it's hard to get creative. 

Also, there were plays out there to be made.  A few of those sacks, guys had beat their man on a cross or pick play and Zach just couldnt find them, which probably goes back to protection.  He was panicked and scared in the 2nd half.  He started pressing and everything went to sh*t.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, BP said:

The Dolphins made adjustments and stacked the line on first down and blitzed on almost every play. and the Jets made no adjustments. No play action passes on first down, and no screen passes or draw plays in the second half. They just continued to try and ram into a stacked line on first down.

This coaching staff can’t make in game adjustments. But yesterdays offensive collapse was on the coaching staff not making adjustments. They consistently put Wilson in 3rd and long passing situations with a sh*tty offensive line.

Big mistake having rookie coordinators along with a rookie HC. And their answers in the post game pressers are embarrassing. 

Actually I think it was execution. Yesterday  seemed like one of the times the play calls were good. There were a lot of missed blocks by the TE's and RB's. What is really wierd is Coleman was always known as a good blocker but we kept putting Carter in. Also Carter was never used in the passing game. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

The lack of screens was alarming because when they do try play action or a roll out, there was a free rusher on almost every play.  I know they had a hodge podge at OL in there for the 2nd half, so I'm not sure if Zach was missing the protection calls or if guys were just missing their assignments but I do think they tried a few things here and there, especially on first down but they kept losing yardage and putting themselves in 2nd and long when it's hard to get creative. 

Also, there were plays out there to be made.  A few of those sacks, guys had beat their man on a cross or pick play and Zach just couldnt find them, which probably goes back to protection.  He was panicked and scared in the 2nd half.  He started pressing and everything went to sh*t.

Like in the Eagles game, these teams know that simple blitzes will upend the entire Jets offense. The whole stadium seemed to know that the Dolphins DBs were coming off the corner, but Wilson never did anything about it—not one time. It’s either the worst coached team in football or the QB is a mush. Just bizarre that they have no answers for these things week after week.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

He was panicked and scared when they started blitzing on every down. The Jets of course had no answers. I don’t think the Dolphins blitzed once in the first half, and for the life of me I don’t know why. 

but they didn’t need to look at the film on Monday. They figured it out at halftime.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

Did anyone see how great Brady played last night without his top wrs and rb? 

Brady isn't an NFL QB anymore.  Namath and Montana are hawking health care for Seniors and Brady is hawking digital gold.  He's allready moved on.  

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I think that’s what happens when you only plan for half a game? Also think the fact we are pretty banged up with a lot of key guys out didn’t help. Plus I feel like they told Zach to be Mike White in the first half and he did it fairly well. But once the Dolphins solved the Mike White issue they had no plan for what comes next? I honestly don’t know, but I also think the  defense being invisible makes the whole thing just not work. None of it works. But I thinks it’s fair to say Zach likely did no worse than Mike White or Joe Flacco so I think that’s depressing but less than depressing than him not doing it. I don’t know. I’m afraid that when Zach gets to where he is going he will likely be a QB that needs a really if not exceptional team around him to be competitive. It’s all really depressing, that I do know. 

41 minutes ago, OilfieldJet said:

Poor coaching and a lack of resources, ZW should be on the bench until that changes.

Zack is playing well enough to continue to get more snaps. He needs the experience. We have stop this crap with our QBs being under duress and we are ruining them. Every QB for good amounts of times are under duress. The opposing defenses get paid too. Heck, should they bench Brady because at home he was so uncomfortable against the Saints D he scored 0 points and broke his Windows Pad on the sideline since he was so mad.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BP said:

The Dolphins made adjustments and stacked the line on first down and blitzed on almost every play. and the Jets made no adjustments. No play action passes on first down, and no screen passes or draw plays in the second half. They just continued to try and ram into a stacked line on first down.

This coaching staff can’t make in game adjustments. But yesterdays offensive collapse was on the coaching staff not making adjustments. They consistently put Wilson in 3rd and long passing situations with a sh*tty offensive line.

Big mistake having rookie coordinators along with a rookie HC. And their answers in the post game pressers are embarrassing. 

Kind of a strange take. I thought LaFleuer did a fantastic job manufacturing yards/points early in the game yesterday with the scripted plays.

Then everyone settled in and they kicked our ass because 

1) Our offensive line couldn’t block them

2) Our battered WR corps couldn’t get open 

3) Our rookie QB sucks even when you don’t account for the above.

What answers can the OC give when the players just don’t execute on any level? When we can’t run the ball we can’t score because Wilson sucks. There are only so many clever play designs to overcome that.

Also, a play action pass on first down against a blitzing, aggressive defense is a recipe for a sack and a huge loss.

1 hour ago, Copernicus said:

According to Jets X Factor's Joe Blewett the combination of LT McDermott and LG Feeney were "the worst combo to ever take a snap in NFL history", and that this was an actual stat.

(But it's more fun to just blame Zach and call him a bust)

Ummmmmmmm, Dan Freeney, took 2 snaps in the game.  2.  Two.  2. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Like in the Eagles game, these teams know that simple blitzes will upend the entire Jets offense. The whole stadium seemed to know that the Dolphins DBs were coming off the corner, but Wilson never did anything about it—not one time. It’s either the worst coached team in football or the QB is a mush. Just bizarre that they have no answers for these things week after week.

I watched a little bit of his every snap break down.  I noticed; he often actually tries to look the other way form the blitz, as if there is going to be a play on the opposite side of where they're sending the blitz.  Instead of seeing it and throwing at it.  He seemingly looks like he thinks can just go the other way when that is in fact, what they want you to do.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BP said:

He was panicked and scared when they started blitzing on every down. The Jets of course had no answers. I don’t think the Dolphins blitzed once in the first half, and for the life of me I don’t know why. 

but they didn’t need to look at the film on Monday. They figured it out at halftime.

I'm wondering who in charge of protection audibles.  I know Mangold used to handle those duties for Sanchez but who does it for Zach?  Because he clearly has no feel for where the rush is coming form at all.  

38 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I think that’s what happens when you only plan for half a game? Also think the fact we are pretty banged up with a lot of key guys out didn’t help. Plus I feel like they told Zach to be Mike White in the first half and he did it fairly well. But once the Dolphins solved the Mike White issue they had no plan for what comes next? I honestly don’t know, but I also think the  defense being invisible makes the whole thing just not work. None of it works. But I thinks it’s fair to say Zach likely did no worse than Mike White or Joe Flacco so I think that’s depressing but less than depressing than him not doing it. I don’t know. I’m afraid that when Zach gets to where he is going he will likely be a QB that needs a really if not exceptional team around him to be competitive. It’s all really depressing, that I do know. 

The defense held them to 10 points in the first half when the time of possession wasnt completely lopsided.  The 2nd half, they were on the field for 85% of the clock.  I dont care how good your D is, it is damn near impossible to play well while on the field that long.  The offense has to help the D out a little bit and the reality is, the Jets were scoreless in the 2nd half except for a pick 6.  I think it played a factor into their inability to stop the run too, like, I realize they dont have the horses in general but getting gashed by Duke Johnson fresh off the streets is just embarrassing.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I played football in college and a lot of the comments here are way off base. You ask any QB and they will all prefer man coverage to zone. It’s far easier to read.

The biggest adjustment from CFB to the NFL are the smaller throwing windows. Most young QBs end up holding the ball because They can’t anticipate. The great ones can throw receivers open. 

3 hours ago, BP said:

bart scott tore wilson a new one on the post game.  i think the film will show there were people open on just about every blitz the doltfins ran but wilson was trying to get more.  this kind of qb play is not good and they are leaving lots of yards on the table as well as points.  as you said, the jets didn't adjust.  and coming out after the half with a run play was just pretty foolish.

3 hours ago, BP said:

They blitzed, and played man.

The Jets have no healthy WR that can beat man, and are missing 2 starting offensive tackles and couldn't protect the QB.

3 hours ago, BP said:

It may be that they only have confidence in Zach to execute a game plan they spent a week practicing...

31 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Well then that changes things a bit. How about McDermott, the same? 

McDermott played 100% but I dont know how that even begins explaining the "stat" you shared.  He let up like 2 sacks on the day in his first start of the season, hardly the worst performance in NFL history. 

4 hours ago, BP said:

Agree with this.  If I didn't know better, I'd suspect they are trying to lose while appearing to try.

The Dolphins made a clear choice to eliminate any chance of the boot game in the 2nd half.  Crash play side zone runs and blitz into the boot.  Teams do this to Iowa weekly because those are the staples of the Iowa offense.  Iowa rarely has a counter in the passing game because 1) Their dropback concepts are atrocious and outdated. 2) Their WRs can’t win consistently in 1 on 1 matchups.  This is where iowas TEs come into play.  They can win 1 on 1

They usually counter with more ISO leads in the run game and that generally is successful.  The jets did this a few times in the 2nd half yesterday with success .  Wish they had more of those.