Honestly Where is the Bright Side With the Jets?

TerrapinJet

3 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

Right now IJ, there are 3 Q@Bs on the roster right now who are better QBs than Zach Wilson, unfortunately all signals going forward are that Saleh is fully prepared to anoint him as the starting signal caller sight unseen. I would like to see it battled out in camp between Flacco, Josh Johnson, Mike White AND the kid. Let the best man win.

JJ is gone... 

6 hours ago, TerrapinJet said:

QB: Clear Bust - people that say he has potential are just hoping he does. I respect the optimism but its not based on anything but hope. Hes shown nothing but disaster after disaster

OL: Awful - but honestly somehow not as bad as the QB/defense

Skill Players: Non Existent - we have noone. They are all jags. 

Defense: barely NFL caliber - perhaps the worst part of our team, including QB. Its a close call but i think the defense is somehow worse.

The draft will change none of this because our coaches cant coach. Even if they could draft (which they cant) the coaches still cant coach. 

Free agency could change some of this but even if you address one of these or two of these areas...the most important part, QB, will still suck and our coaches still wont be able to coach.

2022 is a rebuilding year. Rebuild years back to back and theres the bright side - one day theyll be a new regime to find new ways to be bad. I've learned to find joy in the comical nature of the jets. They find new ways to make me laugh just about every game.   Hope all is well!

-TerrapinJet

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

What were you watching?

They were competitive for 30 minutes. After that, the Jets were dominated by a mediocre team that was also decimated.

Our offense gained 50 yards in the second half.

They are a terrible running team and yet their 3rd string RB ran for about 150 yards 

Competitive? ????

Which usually happens when you dont have as much healthy talent as your opponent

7 hours ago, TerrapinJet said:

QB: Clear Bust - people that say he has potential are just hoping he does. I respect the optimism but its not based on anything but hope. Hes shown nothing but disaster after disaster

Defense: barely NFL caliber - perhaps the worst part of our team, including QB. Its a close call but i think the defense is somehow worse.

The draft will change none of this because our coaches cant coach. Even if they could draft (which they cant) the coaches still cant coach. 

Free agency could change some of this but even if you address one of these or two of these areas...the most important part, QB, will still suck and our coaches still wont be able to coach.

2022 is a rebuilding year. Rebuild years back to back and theres the bright side - one day theyll be a new regime to find new ways to be bad. I've learned to find joy in the comical nature of the jets. They find new ways to make me laugh just about every game.   Hope all is well!

-TerrapinJet

QB - I think he has gotten better since week 1, I think after a full offseason we will see a nice jump forward. I'm not writing the kid off after one season

OL - Awful early on but has played at worst average as of late. Will need to address C/T in some capacity

Skill Players - RBs are fine. WRs are deeper than years past, still need a #1 but I like Davis, Moore, and Berrios for the rolls they play. Davis has never had this many drops in his career, I expect him to get that cleaned up. Mims is a wasted pick from what it looks like. I like Keelan Cole but I'm not sure he'll be here next year. I'd like to address WR1 in FA with one of Gallup/Robinson/Juju or Adams

Defense - I'm not gonna lose too much sleep over this unit. Our top additions in Lawson, Curry, and Joyner all got knocked out before week 1 was over. We should expect to spend heavily on Defense this offseason by way of draft picks. This is easily the biggest bright side because we all knew we'd be lacking on that side of the ball by design.

- You say the coaches can't coach yet 3 of our 4 QBs have flourished in our new offensive system and the 4th QB (Zach) has made strides since week 1. Coaching also made the determination that it is more important to learn your roll in the defense rather than adjust to an entirely different defense we won't be playing moving forward. Disappointing from a Win/Loss perspective but I get it. We haven't had a chance to see our defense with players that this staff really wanted Lawson, Joyner, Curry.

- Free Agency, we have been told for 2 offseasons that this team will be built through the draft. I wouldn't expect many fixes as much as placeholders for FA. I am hoping we go for Michael Gallup, who I believe will fall around Corey Davis money.

- Every time you install a new regime, there is a high likelihood that you will have to rebuild. Can't expect to change everything about our team in just 1 offseason. I know it's tough trying to find the bright side of things

Just my .02

What were you watching?

They were competitive for 30 minutes. After that, the Jets were dominated by a mediocre team that was also decimated.

They are a terrible running team and yet their 3rd string RB ran for about 150 yards 

Competitive? ????

leading 17-10 at the half.  31-24  final score 

They had the ball with 1:30 to go and a chance to tie.  I call that competitive.  You can call it whatever you want. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jgb said:

The offense is much better than it currently looks. It's much closer to 1 man holding back 10 then the opposite. We are just a competent QB away from having a decent offense. 

The defense, much farther from fixing.

That's just because you don't have a scapegoat.

No one player you were steadfast against pre-draft.

5 hours ago, kmnj said:

how do u feel about mims? one could use the same argument u just made for Wislon-the reality is they both suck 

Mims plays an easier position to convert into the NFL.

Mims has been here two years

Wilson less than one.

And up until a few games ago most here were singing the praises of Mims talents.

I’m pumped to watch my second team go up against the Raiders.

The Browns are far from a great team, but they’re in a tight division race and the QB is fighting his ass off every week. He goes out there in a shoulder harness and plays on one ankle and gives it everything he has.

Its so much fun watching and rooting for a team that is out there trying to accomplish something. Are they a championship contender? No. But I don’t know how to jump on bandwagons. I just like watching a team I like decent football.

I get all happy with a .500 team led by a dousch like Mayfield.

Sounds like a lot of fun, I know I'm jealous.  My team is playing poorly, just find a second team.

• Haha 1

What were you watching?

Competitive? ????

1.  The fins have won 6 straight.  Doesnt sound so mediocre.  Other than theyre at .500, like your season team that youre so excited to root for

2.  Dolphins weren't decimated.  You have no idea what youre talking about

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Mims plays an easier position to convert into the NFL.

Mims has been here two years

Wilson less than one.

And up until a few games ago most here were singing the praises of Mims talents.

There is a big difference between athletic talent (which is immutable) and performance (which is a combination of talent, dedication, football intelligence, work ethic, and lots of other things).

Mims is talented, even compared to the population of NFL WRs. But in the end, you need to convert that into results.

He's basically what Zach Wilson is right now -- raw talent trying to put it all together. 

Let's hope Wilson trends the opposite direction than Mims.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

There is a big difference between athletic talent (which is immutable) and performance (which is a combination of talent, dedication, football intelligence, work ethic, and lots of other things).

Mims is talented, even compared to the population of NFL WRs. But in the end, you need to convert that into results.

He's basically what Zach Wilson is right now -- raw talent trying to put it all together. 

Let's hope Wilson trends the opposite direction than Mims.

I could go with the premise, though I dont know how talented he is compared to other WRs.  Is his talent enough to make up for whatever is causing his problems learning and excelling 

It is frustrating g though, he does seem to possess enough talent to succeed.  Which maybe why Saleh has said theyre not giving up on him.  We'll see how honest that is 

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I could go with the premise, though I dont know how talented he is compared to other WRs.  Is his talent enough to make up for whatever is causing his problems learning and excelling 

He's extremely athletically gifted

image.thumb.png.f3d3153752620c7a2f590d98acc2b462.png

It is frustrating g though, he does seem to possess enough talent to succeed.  Which maybe why Saleh has said theyre not giving up on him.  We'll see how honest that is 

Yes, it's really disappointing that he can't even contribute.

6 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Jets are unique in the NFL in that they are team with literally no strengths.   You usually see teams with at least something they do well, the Jets literally do not do a single thing well.    Not OL, not DL, not secondary, the LB's are a disaster, they must have missed 20+ tackles yesterday, they don't pressure the QB, they can't run the ball, WR's can't get open, also drop 3-4 passes each week, and the QB panics at the first sign of pressure, and throws grounders on short passes, 3rd kicker of the season, and the punter shanks at least 1 per game.   

"We didn't tackle well today but we made up for it by not blocking."

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It means there's no one on the defense that you're on a crusade against - so you can't blame the entire performance of the defense on one person...

Yeah, I was so wrong to rank Wilson the lowest of the first round QBs before he was a Jet.

Unreal.

I know this is an incredibly negative post, but how can you blame the guy? Does anyone really feel optimistic, and, if so, why?

This year has been a disaster.  Going into the season, I didn't expect to win a lot of games but I was hopeful that the team might be fun to watch.  Saleh had a good reputation, etc.  He's been a terrible disappointment.

I know it's very early but I bet if you took a poll around the league, most people would highly doubt that Zach Wilson will ever be a quality QB in the league.

The defense is putrid and the offensive line stinks.

And the team seems to be cursed by injuries year in and year out.

I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel.  I'm not getting caught up with the draft or free agencies and I try not to read about the team.  so much bullsh*t.  Maybe some day they will actually win games and make the playoffs but I wouldn't be on it.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, TerrapinJet said:

-TerrapinJet

Bill Belichick. Is that you again?

6 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I stopped here. Not a "clear bust." He is a 22 year old QB who is overwhelmed by the speed of the game. If you don't see his tools and talent, there isn't much left to talk about. We can agree that he is not ready to lead a team. I wouldn't argue for a moment about that.

Well said Nuu

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I get all happy with a .500 team led by a dousch like Mayfield.

Sounds like a lot of fun, I know I'm jealous.  My team is playing poorly, just find a second team.

I wanted Mayfield back in ‘18, loved him in college.

Ive always rooted for him.

Sorry if my 57 years of rooting for the Jets doesn’t pass the eye test for you.. ?‍♂️

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

1.  The fins have won 6 straight.  Doesnt sound so mediocre.  Other than theyre at .500, like your season team that youre so excited to root for

2.  Dolphins weren't decimated.  You have no idea what youre talking about

The Jets have won 5 games in two years under Douglas, and you’re on here every day saying everything is fine. What are people complaining about?

But yeah, I’m the one who has no idea. ?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, TerrapinJet said:

-TerrapinJet

Next year is year 1 of a complete rebuild. 

48 minutes ago, TMAC said:

I know this is an incredibly negative post, but how can you blame the guy? Does anyone really feel optimistic, and, if so, why?

This year has been a disaster.  Going into the season, I didn't expect to win a lot of games but I was hopeful that the team might be fun to watch.  Saleh had a good reputation, etc.  He's been a terrible disappointment.

I know it's very early but I bet if you took a poll around the league, most people would highly doubt that Zach Wilson will ever be a quality QB in the league.

The defense is putrid and the offensive line stinks.

And the team seems to be cursed by injuries year in and year out.

I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel.  I'm not getting caught up with the draft or free agencies and I try not to read about the team.  so much bullsh*t.  Maybe some day they will actually win games and make the playoffs but I wouldn't be on it.

Wow, what a difference Woody Johnson getting this team has meant. Think back to the Rivals board days and all of us die hard Jets fans who would never even THINK of not paying attention to the Jets. At 1 PM when the games start my son and wife sit in the LR and the game is found online. I'm here in my room but I can't help but to say "Hey what just happened there?" and before you know it I'm clicking on the same link and the game is on on my computer. Now if they decided to not watch the games there would be no. way that I'd be watching or caring about them either. But man Tommy, I didn't think that you had gotten past the Screw The Jets line. To think, there was a time that losing to Miami got one of our brightest young team leaders/builders fired the same night of the loss. Of course that was at a time before Woody Johnson would make the pronouncation that politics were THE most important thing that he cares about. Since that day, the Jets have lost 103 games and won 51 with zero playoff appearances, before that day after being shut out 34-0 by SF the Jets under Woody Johnson's ownership they were a .500 team playing 127 games  including splitting 12 playoff games and (2 AFCC game appearances). Yea losing to Chad and the Fins on the last game of the 2008 season got Eric Mangini fired at 3 in the morning by a Mike Tannenbaum phone call that he was woken up from a dead sleep and told to carry out the axing. Now, they have lost what 8 in a row to the DOLPHINS Our mortal enemy in fact they will be shut out and go 0-6 against our division in 2021. I don't think that has EVER happened before. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, TerrapinJet said:

-TerrapinJet

So this is not a feel good moment?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SoFlaJets said:

Wow, what a difference Woody Johnson getting this team has meant. Think back to the Rivals board days and all of us die hard Jets fans who would never even THINK of not paying attention to the Jets. At 1 PM when the games start my son and wife sit in the LR and the game is found online. I'm here in my room but I can't help but to say "Hey what just happened there?" and before you know it I'm clicking on the same link and the game is on on my computer. Now if they decided to not watch the games there would be no. way that I'd be watching or caring about them either. But man Tommy, I didn't think that you had gotten past the Screw The Jets line. To think, there was a time that losing to Miami got one of our brightest young team leaders/builders fired the same night of the loss. Of course that was at a time before Woody Johnson would make the pronouncation that politics were THE most important thing that he cares about. Since that day, the Jets have lost 103 games and won 51 with zero playoff appearances, before that day after being shut out 34-0 by SF the Jets under Woody Johnson's ownership they were a .500 team playing 127 games  including splitting 12 playoff games and (2 AFCC game appearances). Yea losing to Chad and the Fins on the last game of the 2008 season got Eric Mangini fired at 3 in the morning by a Mike Tannenbaum phone call that he was woken up from a dead sleep and told to carry out the axing. Now, they have lost what 8 in a row to the DOLPHINS Our mortal enemy in fact they will be shut out and go 0-6 against our division in 2021. I don't think that has EVER happened before. 

We've stopped caring about the game. We prefer to talk about draft capital and salary cap like they are points in the superbowl. We root for numbers that allow us to dream big during the off-season. The Dolphins... Pats... Bills... aren't the enemy any more. People who throw cold water on hope are.

• Upvote 1

I believe the offense is a QB away from being reasonable. Add another playmaker and we’re really in business. Our OL is not bad at all, I think we should keep adding depth and maybe a G in FA.

I believe our defensive issues are scheme related. The whole idea that a monkey could run it is part of the issue. On the opposite extreme a guy like Belicheck takes average players and schemes to their strengths. On our side we run a basic defense that doesn’t really scheme towards opponents, but rather it asks for players to make plays. We don’t have those players, and frankly I don’t think I’m this league you can spend so much capital on star players on defense. I want a defense where the scheme puts good players in positions to succeed, not a D that requires great players in order to field a good D.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Snell41 said:

I believe the offense is a QB away from being reasonable. Add another playmaker and we’re really in business. Our OL is not bad at all, I think we should keep adding depth and maybe a G in FA.

I believe our defensive issues are scheme related. The whole idea that a monkey could run it is part of the issue. On the opposite extreme a guy like Belicheck takes average players and schemes to their strengths. On our side we run a basic defense that doesn’t really scheme towards opponents, but rather it asks for players to make plays. We don’t have those players, and frankly I don’t think I’m this league you can spend so much capital on star players on defense. I want a defense where the scheme puts good players in positions to succeed, not a D that requires great players in order to field a good D.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

eugene levy applause GIF

• Sympathy 1

54 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

The Jets have won 5 games in two years under Douglas, and you’re on here every day saying everything is fine. What are people complaining about?

But yeah, I’m the one who has no idea. ?

Only smooth brains focus on wins and losses. We have tons of draft capital and cap space. Those are the new wins.

• Haha 1