If any Jets beat writers read this board.....

BCJet

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

We don’t need a beat writer to tell us that he won’t be back until next years training  camp. From the beating he took in training camp and his slow start yiu couid almost feel he wasn’t gonna be on the field much.  The injury wasn’t honestly on him but the effort to do the work to get back is. Because of his size/weight it’s likely a big factor in him getting ready to play again All the beat writer will get from the staff is,” he’s coming along nicely, taking longer than expected, we want to make sure he’s ready!” 

I dont disagree with anything in your post, its completely accurate but my point is that is not an acceptable answer from the coach.

We are talking about a player being paid millions of dollars who cant play but is NOT injured - in what world is that ok?  Making this worse, is the fact that him sitting out is forcing Connor McDermott to play a prominent role in the development and safety of a rookie QB.  How can Becton show his face in the locker room at this point?  

Just now, BCJet said:

I dont disagree with anything in your post, its completely accurate but my point is that is not an acceptable answer from the coach.

We are talking about a player being paid millions of dollars who cant play but is NOT injured - in what world is that ok?  Making this worse, is the fact that him sitting out is forcing Connor McDermott to play a prominent role in the development and safety of a rookie QB.  How can Becton show his face in the locker room at this point?  

You are right, but with Fant filling in and playing at a much higher level as a pass blocker I think the coaches have moved onto all the fires in front of them. Now that Fant went down it might come to the forefront depending  how long Fant is out and how poorly  that effects the pass blocking. 

Is it possible that Becton's issues are not physical and the team simply does not want to put that out there? I think it was training camp when saleh mentioned that there were other factors with Mekhi but did not go into details. I know it is easy to get on him because of his size and that automatically goes to he is lazy etc. but maybe it is something more and saleh is trying to do the right thing to protect his player.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

There are NY Jets busts.  Then there are Becton level busts.  This one is a particularly egregious.  

And just as Becton was going to sign an endorsement deal with Hormel Foods.  Plans were to build a signature line of cold cuts and other "game day-related" foodstuffs around Becton.

Kind of ridiculous to say this. Becton played well his rookie year. Year #2 ended up being a throwaway. Marcus Maye had the exact same career trajectory as Becton and ended up having a good career 

• Upvote 1

Just now, SteveElement said:

Kind of ridiculous to say this. Becton played well his rookie year. Year #2 ended up being a throwaway. Marcus Maye had the exact same career trajectory as Becton and ended up having a good career 

I'll stand by it.  And will guarantee you that at this time next year Becton will either be off the team of go through the same injury "trajectory".   We all saw similar problems with being winded or going off the field for "the sniffles" last year.  He's developed a pattern I think follows him until he's out of the NFL.   Two years, maybe?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

The team doesn’t care about Becton it seems and have written him off. That’s why you’re not getting much. Maybe he comes back next year motivated but this was a bad pick by Douglas.

If you are correct, then it will be guaranteed that Douglas picks a tackle in the first round of the upcoming draft.  They might even pick a tackle if they haven't written off Becton, since Moses will be gone after the season unless the Jets can resign him.  Edoga is a 3rd string backup, and he might be gone.  And Fant will be playing in the last year of his 4 year contract for almost $10M, assuming he will be brought back for year #4.

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

Can someone please press Saleh on Mekhi Becton - what we know today is simply not acceptable.

This is a top 10 pick at one of the most important positions on the field who had a 6-8 week injury 14 WEEKS AGO.  There was no setback, there was no "it was worse then originally thought" story, the guy simply isnt able to play football which is his only job.  The HC is responsible for the week to week roster and needs to be held accountable as to why he isnt holding Becton accountable to do his job.  

Rich Cimini is on twitter basically ripping Zach for "not showing accountability" and yet cant press the HC on what should be one of the biggest stories of the entire season????

Its time someone in this organization provides an answer about this.

What is there to ask?

We know what Saleh will say - Still working, no timeline, hope to see him before season's end etc. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

52 minutes ago, Alka said:

If you are correct, then it will be guaranteed that Douglas picks a tackle in the first round of the upcoming draft.  They might even pick a tackle if they haven't written off Becton, since Moses will be gone after the season unless the Jets can resign him.  Edoga is a 3rd string backup, and he might be gone.  And Fant will be playing in the last year of his 4 year contract for almost $10M, assuming he will be brought back for year #4.

Fant is locked in at LT. You can find a RT in the mid rounds.

• Upvote 3

Is it possible that Becton's issues are not physical and the team simply does not want to put that out there? I think it was training camp when saleh mentioned that there were other factors with Mekhi but did not go into details. I know it is easy to get on him because of his size and that automatically goes to he is lazy etc. but maybe it is something more and saleh is trying to do the right thing to protect his player.

Brute strength alone doesn’t cut it on this lvl, Lawson made sure of that. He had it easy in college.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

22 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

The beat writers…

They get thoughtful answers from Zach all year.  He doesn’t punish them for asking if he’s seeing ghosts and has been accommodating all around.  

One of them (DJ) asks a super loaded question, he passes and they all pounce. 

Zach should go 100% short generic answers for the rest of the season.  

Needs to go full “ I’m just here so I won’t get fined “

D7EFC60A-8395-46A1-8E0E-D8360DAC60DD.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Personally, I would build the OLine for 2022 with the assumption Becton isn't here.  Now, he WILL be here but the Jets shouldn't simply count on him to play a significant number of games.  The guy has played in 1 out of every 2 games on average since he got here.  I would try to extend George Fant, I'd take another run at Morgan Moses for 1 year, and I'd strongly consider drafting a quality OT in the 1st or 2nd round this year.  THEN... let Becton compete for a job at LT or someplace on the line like RT or RG.  As far as I'm concerned the only guys I'd write in with pen for next year are AVT, Fant and McGovern.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

The beat writers…

They get thoughtful answers from Zach all year.  He doesn’t punish them for asking if he’s seeing ghosts and has been accommodating all around.  

One of them (DJ) asks a super loaded question, he passes and they all pounce. 

Zach should go 100% short generic answers for the rest of the season.  

He should take a page out of Belichicks book and next time just say “We’re on to Jacksonville” over and over again, or even better pull a Marshawn Lynch and say “I’m here so I don’t get fined.” Lol

• Upvote 1