If any Jets beat writers read this board.....

BCJet

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Personally, I would build the OLine for 2022 with the assumption Becton isn't here.  Now, he WILL be here but the Jets shouldn't simply count on him to play a significant number of games.  The guy has played in 1 out of every 2 games on average since he got here.  I would try to extend George Fant, I'd take another run at Morgan Moses for 1 year, and I'd strongly consider drafting a quality OT in the 1st or 2nd round this year.  THEN... let Becton compete for a job at LT or someplace on the line like RT or RG.  As far as I'm concerned the only guys I'd write in with pen for next year are AVT, Fant and McGovern.

Douglas has some precident for this as well. Jason Peters was playing LT for the Eagles, Lane Johnson gets brought in to take over - gets moved to RT full time since Peters kept playing at a high level then the Eagles draft Andre Dillard in the 1st with both guys still there.

Douglas will not be shy to take OL, he knows that if Zach doesn't succeed neither will he.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, The Crusher said:

You are right, but with Fant filling in and playing at a much higher level as a pass blocker I think the coaches have moved onto all the fires in front of them. Now that Fant went down it might come to the forefront depending  how long Fant is out and how poorly  that effects the pass blocking. 

When the Jets said Fant wouldn’t play yesterday, and I started to think there might be an issue with him the Jets don’t want to make public for some reason.

You’re right about the comments we hear about him from the CS, but they’re the same gobbledegook we heard about Mims practicing well.

I think the OP might have a point here. It’s surprising the beats, and even the talking heads don’t talk about this more.

5 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

The beat writers…

They get thoughtful answers from Zach all year.  He doesn’t punish them for asking if he’s seeing ghosts and has been accommodating all around.  

One of them (DJ) asks a super loaded question, he passes and they all pounce. 

Zach should go 100% short generic answers for the rest of the season.  

Or maybe play a good game or two. That might stop the mean questions about playing like s**t compared to his backups.

53 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Becton is going to report next year at about 480 pounds. You might as well be talking about Refrigerator Perry's career in the present tense.

Fridge played 10 years and got a ring.

Becton played 10 minutes and got a super size.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

The beat writers…

They get thoughtful answers from Zach all year.  He doesn’t punish them for asking if he’s seeing ghosts and has been accommodating all around.  

One of them (DJ) asks a super loaded question, he passes and they all pounce. 

Zach should go 100% short generic answers for the rest of the season.  

He should stick to his one sentence reply as to why the offense looks very good when 3 b/u QB's play and looks terrible when he's playing.

"Yeah, I don't worry about that stuff"

That's the true window into Zack's personality. His 'thoughtful answers' are prepared PR BS prepared by the Jets staff.

• Thumb Down 3

3 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Douglas has some precident for this as well. Jason Peters was playing LT for the Eagles, Lane Johnson gets brought in to take over - gets moved to RT full time since Peters kept playing at a high level then the Eagles draft Andre Dillard in the 1st with both guys still there.

Douglas will not be shy to take OL, he knows that if Zach doesn't succeed neither will he.

Lane Johnson was drafted in 2013. Dillard not until 6 years later in 2019, when Peters was 37 and just signed a new contract for 1 year $6MM because they were expecting any upcoming season to be the last of Peters’s career. That’s not nearly the same situation to me so it’s not a precedent.

The only way he’s using a 1st on a tackle is if he’s totally written off Becton for good, in which case he’s also trading him for whatever he can get, or has zero interest in ever extending Fant.

Far more likely he’ll either re-sign Moses or bring in a different ~$5MM RT veteran as insurance for Becton not returning to the field plus doubly for in case of significant injury to him or Fant again.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Lane Johnson was drafted in 2013. Dillard not until 6 years later in 2019, when Peters was 37 and just signed a new contract for 1 year $6MM because they were expecting any upcoming season to be the last of Peters’s career. That’s not nearly the same situation to me so it’s not a precedent.

The only way he’s using a 1st on a tackle is if he’s totally written off Becton for good, in which case he’s also trading him for whatever he can get, or has zero interest in ever extending Fant.

Far more likely he’ll either re-sign Moses or bring in a different ~$5MM RT veteran as insurance for Becton not returning to the field plus doubly for in case of significant injury to him or Fant again.

Lane Johnson was taken 4th overall to replace a 31 year old Jason Peter's but Peter's played well so they kept Johnson at RT. I guess the first part is more applicable where we could move Becton to RT although Douglas wasn't there for that part in Philly

Assuming the JETS know they need to draft some good LB's, can someone from the press ask why they are not trying to get the 2 safeties NAS and SHERM practice time at the SAFETY position so we can see if they might help this team out in the future... With the corners playing well, and hopefully Hutchinson our first pick, a few new LB's and the return of Lawson can help this defense be much better next year.

15 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Lane Johnson was taken 4th overall to replace a 31 year old Jason Peter's but Peter's played well so they kept Johnson at RT. I guess the first part is more applicable where we could move Becton to RT although Douglas wasn't there for that part in Philly

Yes and no. Peters had just signed a multi year extension the year after they drafted Johnson. Doubtful they came to that decision based on poor play from Johnson as a rookie. It was rather that Peters missed the whole 2012 season after rupturing his Achilles twice in March and May and they didn’t know how he’d be after returning. As it turned out he was first team AP again lol.

Johnson certainly wasn’t drafted in round 1 to be a 3rd tackle / depth if Peters returned to form. He was drafted to be an immediate starter however things turned out with Peters, or to start at LT if he didn’t. Herremans was a G pushed to RT when they drafted a 1st round G anyway, and with that guard a bust whose heart wasn’t in playing - the team caught him working as a firefighter - it all aligned right to move Herremans back to G. Worst (“worst”) case was what happened: they’d have Peters-Johnson bookends, and with how weak that ‘13 draft was up top he also fit their slot in terms of pick value anyway.

Really not the same thing as these Jets, unless the team has already concluded they’re 100% done with Becton. But then they’d be drafting a starter not depth.

As far as Becton... I'd love to have Neal, however with Linderbaum dangling in front of us, I would rather take the Center for the next 10 years, and resign Fant, and move Becton to RT or RG and also resign Moses, or draft a RT in the 3rd or 4th.

Personally, I would build the OLine for 2022 with the assumption Becton isn't here.  Now, he WILL be here but the Jets shouldn't simply count on him to play a significant number of games.  The guy has played in 1 out of every 2 games on average since he got here.  I would try to extend George Fant, I'd take another run at Morgan Moses for 1 year, and I'd strongly consider drafting a quality OT in the 1st or 2nd round this year.  THEN... let Becton compete for a job at LT or someplace on the line like RT or RG.  As far as I'm concerned the only guys I'd write in with pen for next year are AVT, Fant and McGovern.
Serious 2nd 1st rounder on oline .. 3rd rounder on oline... id be good with 2nd 1st and a 2nd too.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Fant overachieving takes not one molecule of disappointment away from becton.

Douglas's 1st draft could be worse than the Idzik 12 unless something changes a great deal early next year.

The Hall pick by itself makes that draft better than the idiot 12

23 hours ago, Trotter said:

Is it possible that Becton's issues are not physical and the team simply does not want to put that out there? I think it was training camp when saleh mentioned that there were other factors with Mekhi but did not go into details. I know it is easy to get on him because of his size and that automatically goes to he is lazy etc. but maybe it is something more and saleh is trying to do the right thing to protect his player.

Yeah, heaven forbid if he is going through something mentally.  Can't accept that as a legitimate problem!

41 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yes and no. Peters had just signed a multi year extension the year after they drafted Johnson. Doubtful they came to that decision based on poor play from Johnson as a rookie. It was rather that Peters missed the whole 2012 season after rupturing his Achilles twice in March and May and they didn’t know how he’d be after returning. As it turned out he was first team AP again lol.

Johnson certainly wasn’t drafted in round 1 to be a 3rd tackle / depth if Peters returned to form. He was drafted to be an immediate starter however things turned out with Peters, or to start at LT if he didn’t. Herremans was a G pushed to RT when they drafted a 1st round G anyway, and with that guard a bust whose heart wasn’t in playing - the team caught him working as a firefighter - it all aligned right to move Herremans back to G. Worst (“worst”) case was what happened: they’d have Peters-Johnson bookends, and with how weak that ‘13 draft was up top he also fit their slot in terms of pick value anyway.

Really not the same thing as these Jets, unless the team has already concluded they’re 100% done with Becton. But then they’d be drafting a starter not depth.

I think this conversation is burying the lead.  The guy Douglas acquired while he was there was Dillard, who sucks and 3 years into his career can't unseat 2018 7th Jordan Mailata.  I guess our hope is that Douglas will draft guys like Mailata, but he seems to have busted on Becton and Dillard, which does not make me look forward to drafting another T high.  

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think this conversation is burying the lead.  The guy Douglas acquired while he was there was Dillard, who sucks and 3 years into his career can't unseat 2018 7th Jordan Mailata.  I guess our hope is that Douglas will draft guys like Mailata, but he seems to have busted on Becton and Dillard, which does not make me look forward to drafting another T high.  

Perhaps. Hard to know how much Dillard's drafting was due to Douglas or despite his protests to take someone else instead, since he wasn't the GM. I expect he didn't hate the pick, even if he liked someone else better, but we really don't know. 

Just saying even looking at a T that high is for filling a current T opening, not as a just-in-case pick who'd be a depth addition if Becton is starting in '22. I don't think that's burying the lede so much as looking at strategy/value going forward; anyone can see Becton isn't playing.

But yeah what a letdown. The footage of him "working out" on the field from ~10 days ago wasn't encouraging. He was moving like he was in 5 feet of water or giving Fant a piggyback ride. 

On 12/20/2021 at 8:35 AM, BCJet said:

I dont disagree with anything in your post, its completely accurate but my point is that is not an acceptable answer from the coach.

We are talking about a player being paid millions of dollars who cant play but is NOT injured - in what world is that ok?  Making this worse, is the fact that him sitting out is forcing Connor McDermott to play a prominent role in the development and safety of a rookie QB.  How can Becton show his face in the locker room at this point?  

So the last question of yesterdays news conference with Saleh asked him what the update on Becton was, and his answer was short and sweet:  "Same update".

It was a flippant response, and he spoke so quickly and answered the question so quickly that I'm not 100% sure that that is what he said, but I think it was.

I just don't understand his response.  The first round pick for the Jets last year, and now in week 15 of the 4-8 week injury for Becton, and the best we can get is a flippant 2 word answer. 

I would want to know further information such as:  1. Is Becton fully healed from the injury? 2. Is Becton in football shape?  If not, when do you expect Becton to be in football shape? 3. Will Becton play again this season, or are you shutting him down? 4. Can we hear from Becton directly? 5. What has caused a 4-8 week injury to now enter the 15th week without a better answer than saying the update hasn't changed since last week?  6. Will Becton play left tackle when he does come back, or will you stick with Fant, being that Fant has shown he can play well at left tackle?

If Saleh really respects Jets fans, he will do more to give an answer that is more palatable than a flippant 2 word answer that I can barely understand.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

DJ is getting hammered on Twitter for his article on Zach. More daily news drama.

I remember when I questioned how a straight out of journalism school (how he graduated with that grammar and spelling....), Miami Dolphins loving, non-New Yorker got picked by a Major NYC Newspaper to be the beat reporter for an NFL team and people here set me straight...

He should be writing columns for The Atlantic or some other random internet "news" site about Embry-Riddle intramural soccer or something. Not an NFL team. 

I Have No Idea Shrug GIF

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, billo83 said:

The Hall pick by itself makes that draft better than the idiot 12

Well he is not great shakes but that draft had dozier who played in the league for a number of years an is still in the league and Enunwa who had a season or so of being okay.  We'll have to see how Hall does down the line.  But the drafts are similar as far as being stink bad so far.

On 12/20/2021 at 5:24 AM, BCJet said:

Can someone please press Saleh on Mekhi Becton - what we know today is simply not acceptable.

This is a top 10 pick at one of the most important positions on the field who had a 6-8 week injury 14 WEEKS AGO.  There was no setback, there was no "it was worse then originally thought" story, the guy simply isnt able to play football which is his only job.  The HC is responsible for the week to week roster and needs to be held accountable as to why he isnt holding Becton accountable to do his job.  

Rich Cimini is on twitter basically ripping Zach for "not showing accountability" and yet cant press the HC on what should be one of the biggest stories of the entire season????

Its time someone in this organization provides an answer about this.

My theory is that he is having some emotional issues as well. LaFleur hinted at that in pre-season. Reality is the Jets need to plan like he will not be a part of the plan going forward and if he comes back it is a bonus.

Becton was injured.  The injury was not his fault and was not the result of poor conditioning. He got his leg rolled up.  He is in Florham Park, not home.  With the way this season has gone, who cares if he plays a game or two?  Let's see what happens in the offseason and preseason before jumping to the conclusion that he is lazy, or fat, or finished.  He may just be motivated and ready to go next season.  And if he is going through some mental or emotional issues, Saleh is likely justifiably protecting and shielding him from the likes of Cimini and DJ, who certainly would not be either understanding or sympathetic.  The past 10 years have been gold for writers like Cimini, who take pleasure in writing about failure and controversy.  The handling of the 22 year-old Wilson's response to one question after answering hundreds of questions since July is absurd and cruel and completely unnecessary.  Jets fans should be pulling for a talent like Becton to be back at 100% next season, not knocking this kid down and talking bust when nothing on the field has shown he is a bust.