Who would be your first pick at WR?

UntouchableCrew

Who would be your first WR off the board?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Who would be your first WR off the board?

• Jameson Williams, Alabama
    • Garrett Wilson, Ohio State
    • Drake London, USC
    • Chris Olave, Ohio State
    • Treylon Burks, Arkansas
    • Other

18 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Totally agree.   Davis hasn’t given the Jets receiver group any “toughness” at all.  He’s been dreadful in contested catch situations and his hands are still really inconsistent.   If I recall that was one of his biggest issues coming out of Western Michigan.  I think London becomes Zach’s best friend on day one, someone to go to when teams go man.   

I’m just wondering where London goes in this draft, if he runs 4.55 does he drop a bit?   I really don’t know.  

London still reminds me of Mike Evans coming out - Evans ran 4.53 if I remember correctly and went top ten in a better class (wide receiver and overall). Not apples to apples as prospects since Evans had more of a track record of production, but the skill set profile is still similar. I think London drops if he can’t break 4.6 or isn’t healthy - otherwise can’t see him outside the first round. Especially in this class.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Totally agree.   Davis hasn’t given the Jets receiver group any “toughness” at all.  He’s been dreadful in contested catch situations and his hands are still really inconsistent.   If I recall that was one of his biggest issues coming out of Western Michigan.  I think London becomes Zach’s best friend on day one, someone to go to when teams go man.   

I’m just wondering where London goes in this draft, if he runs 4.55 does he drop a bit?   I really don’t know.  

I would be ecstatic if he ran a 4.55. Just doesn't look sub 4.6 on film to me. 

1 hour ago, derp said:

London still reminds me of Mike Evans coming out - Evans ran 4.53 if I remember correctly and went top ten in a better class (wide receiver and overall). Not apples to apples as prospects since Evans had more of a track record of production, but the skill set profile is still similar. I think London drops if he can’t break 4.6 or isn’t healthy - otherwise can’t see him outside the first round. Especially in this class.

I see the comparison, but going back and watching Evan's after London and the legs look like they are moving so much faster including set up moves/cuts/agility; not just straight line. As someone else said, London just looks like hes in concrete (longer stride can attribute to some of that). I'm going to invest some time to finding some all 22. I'd like to see him through each play during a whole game. I hate WR highlights where the camera angle looses them for half the play. It might convince me otherwise. 

On 12/28/2021 at 9:08 PM, Paradis said:

Good post. Solid dialogue/thoughts. 

I urge to take a longer look at Pickens. You’re selling him short I believe. 

I see kind of Braylon Edwards style play with him. Not a top 3 pick, just feels like his routes/catch/after catch similar to Edwards. 

like this potential

• Upvote 1

Matt Miller released his top 25:

https://www.thedraftscout.com/p/2022-nfl-draft-updated-top-150-big?r=bv70f&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web&utm_source=direct

7. WR Drake London, USC

It’s important to remember just how dominant Drake London was before fracturing his ankle in the team’s eighth game. At 6’5” and 210 pounds he’s a big wideout with ball skills and an unstoppable presence on 50/50 balls.

14. WR Garrett Wilson, Ohio State

A tough wide receiver at 6’0” and 193 pounds, Wilson has sticky hands and is a sure route-runner. He doesn’t profile as a classic WR1 due to his lack of size or top-end speed, but he’s the type of receiver that will win with routes and hands.

15. WR Jameson Williams, Alabama

Teams that are eyeballing speed and chunk plays could identify Jameson Williams as their top wideout in this class. He might not be the scheme-fit for every team but his big play ability is electric.

20. WR Jahan Dotson, Penn State

Dotson doesn’t have the best size, but he’s a downfield threat that wins with burst and acceleration throughout his route tree. He’s a sure-handed weapon down the field and someone who can consistently win over the top.

21. WR Chris Olave, Ohio State

A lean wideout (6’1”, 170 lbs) but one who has consistently won with his hands and route-running. Olave is seen by some to have topped out his potential, but he arrives to the NFL with great football IQ and a diverse route tree.

22. WR Treylon Burks, Arkansas

Big (6’3”, 230 lbs) and explosive with the ball in his hands, Burks is a weapon after the catch. If your favorite offense runs slants and breaking routes, Burks’ ability to turn the short catch into a big play is phenomenal.

2 hours ago, IntoTheGreen said:

I see the comparison, but going back and watching Evan's after London and the legs look like they are moving so much faster including set up moves/cuts/agility; not just straight line. As someone else said, London just looks like hes in concrete (longer stride can attribute to some of that). I'm going to invest some time to finding some all 22. I'd like to see him through each play during a whole game. I hate WR highlights where the camera angle looses them for half the play. It might convince me otherwise. 

I felt Evans looked like he was in concrete in the open field in college which is actually part of why I made the comparison but I could see what you’re saying a little in set up moves and route running. Also need to watch London more. 

I also think on my end I’m projecting a little physical improvement from London as he transitions from training for hoops (much more endurance based which reduces explosiveness) and football to exclusively football - and that’s obviously a projection that may or may not actually come to fruition.

13 hours ago, derp said:

Really? I don't see it. Evans was one of the premier down field boundary guys (with and interior game as well) i've seen in the last 10-15 years... Maybe i'm being too rigid in my analysis, but London has more in comon with guys like Juju or Cooper Kupp, than Evans. Jordy Nelson would be where he could ascent to if he can get those feet moving. He's an expert at "coming back to the ball" and positioning his body. The latter jives with evans. It's about where they excel at i think they differ. *shrugs*. .... outsider of Burks though, he may be one of the easiest evals.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Paradis said:

Really? I don't see it. Evans was one of the premier down field boundary guys (with and interior game as well) i've seen in the last 10-15 years... Maybe i'm being too rigid in my analysis, but London has more in comon with guys like Juju or Cooper Kupp, than Evans. Jordy Nelson would be where he could ascent to if he can get those feet moving. He's an expert at "coming back to the ball" and positioning his body. The latter jives with evans. It's about where they excel at i think they differ. *shrugs*. .... outsider of Burks though, he may be one of the easiest evals.

I think you look where guys play on the field way more and better than I do and I just look at what I see them do regardless of where it is. Big, basketball background, look like they’re running in quicksand sometimes, physical after the catch, pretty natural hands, excels with the ball in the air and in contested situations because of the basketball background, surprisingly efficient on screens in college because of the physicality. Maybe skill set was less the right term - I (probably incorrectly) use that for physical tools more than technical skills. More macro than micro.

When I watch Evans and London the basketball background jumps off the screen at me and those other guys aren’t former basketball players or at least it’s not remotely obvious when I watch them. I’m sure you’re talking about more where those guys make plays on the field since physically the other three aren’t remotely close to London and Evans size wise. It’s just different things I think we look at.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

Burks is a much easier eval b/c of his size and physicality.  He won’t need to run a sub 4.5 to demonstrate his worth.  But i do think the wr rankings are going to be very fluid for a while, and the combine is going to matter a lot.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Burks is a much easier eval b/c of his size and physicality.  He won’t need to run a sub 4.5 to demonstrate his worth.  But i do think the wr rankings are going to be very fluid for a while, and the combine is going to matter a lot.  

Read yesterday that they are going to change the route running structure this year at the combine for both WR's and TE's to make them more like the present day NFL systems. 

18 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i don't know about much easier. London is super transparent prospect. Jameson Williams and his 4 routes for example is not. But the upside is so bright, you're pretty much blinded. Olave is bit of fools good, the closer you look, the less you like. Limited anyway. 

David Bell is next. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, derp said:

I think you look where guys play on the field way more and better than I do and I just look at what I see them do regardless of where it is. Big, basketball background, look like they’re running in quicksand sometimes, physical after the catch, pretty natural hands, excels with the ball in the air and in contested situations because of the basketball background, surprisingly efficient on screens in college because of the physicality. Maybe skill set was less the right term - I (probably incorrectly) use that for physical tools more than technical skills. More macro than micro.

When I watch Evans and London the basketball background jumps off the screen at me and those other guys aren’t former basketball players or at least it’s not remotely obvious when I watch them. I’m sure you’re talking about more where those guys make plays on the field since physically the other three aren’t remotely close to London and Evans size wise. It’s just different things I think we look at.

i can dig it. ....I didn't know he was a b-ball guy. Totally makes sense/see it now. 

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

i can dig it. ....I didn't know he was a b-ball guy. Totally makes sense/see it now. 

One of the things that I really like about London as a prospects...think this was his first year of full time football. Was dominant on the field production wise and just has a ton of room to grow technically.

Also figure the training for the two sports is different - sprinting for a few seconds at a time is way different than needing to run up and down a court for 30 minutes. Football training more about explosiveness, hoops more endurance. Believe he added some weight/strength last year and I'm sure he'll continue to fill out, huge frame, but if there's an off chance he gets a little more pop in those legs in addition to improving technically that'd be a nice bonus. Think that lack of experience means he must be pretty natural catching the ball too which is nice.

• Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, Paradis said:

i don't know about much easier. London is super transparent prospect. Jameson Williams and his 4 routes for example is not. But the upside is so bright, you're pretty much blinded. Olave is bit of fools good, the closer you look, the less you like. Limited anyway. 

David Bell is next. 

my main issue with London is that nearly all his catches are so contested, makes me wonder if he is getting separation and if he can do it in the pros.  With Jameson, yeah, you don’t really know how much of a traditional wr he will be but his speed/size makes him considerably more attractive than someone like ruggs.  

Ultimately i think after we scrutinize these wrs ad nauseaum, the jets will take an edge at 4, trade back, then take another defender, and then have 5 day 2 picks for wr/OL/TE.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/23/2021 at 10:23 AM, Columbia Jet Fan said:

A few other names I'd be curious to get people's opinions on who may fall into day two sleeper categories: 

Justyn Ross 

George Pickens

Joh Metchie III

Justyn Ross was a guy I was really excited about as a freshman, but injuries prevented him from playing his sophomore year and most of this year. He did light up Clemson in the national championship game and has great size. 

Pickens is another guy who was on track to be a first rounder before his ACL injury this spring. I've read some things about character concerns - so may not be a JD guy - but a tremendous talent. 

Metchie is another guy who will likely drop b/c of injury. He probably is somewhat redundant with Moore - so not sure he is the best fit - but an explosive player who can play inside or outside. 

Pickens is a wild card. Awesome potential as a freshman. Best WR on the team. I would definitely take a flier on him in the mid-rounds, Could blow up the combine if he's fully recovered from his ACL.

I am very doubtful we pick a WR with our two first round picks, so therefore players people have mentioned like Jalen Tolbert or David Bell make sense for us in the second round. If we don't draft one in the second round someone like Christian Watson makes sense in later rounds, but I would prefer a second round WR TBH. 

8 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

my main issue with London is that nearly all his catches are so contested, makes me wonder if he is getting separation and if he can do it in the pros.  With Jameson, yeah, you don’t really know how much of a traditional wr he will be but his speed/size makes him considerably more attractive than someone like ruggs.  

Ultimately i think after we scrutinize these wrs ad nauseaum, the jets will take an edge at 4, trade back, then take another defender, and then have 5 day 2 picks for wr/OL/TE.  

On the highlight reels. Throughout a game he’s winning with route running, body positioning and getting huge YAC.

• Upvote 2

Jets have dropped passes all over the field this year. Douglas can’t let that happen again. Zach Wilson needs a reliable target and the most reliable is Garrett Wilson. He runs great routes and catches anything close to him. He can also play on the spot or the outside. He should be the pick.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

10 hours ago, jetlaw said:

Jets have dropped passes all over the field this year. Douglas can’t let that happen again. Zach Wilson needs a reliable target and the most reliable is Garrett Wilson. He runs great routes and catches anything close to him. He can also play on the spot or the outside. He should be the pick.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Seriously. Corey Davis has terrible hands. I'd consider drafting 2 WRs in the 1st 2 rds. 

23 hours ago, Jethead said:

Pickens is a wild card. Awesome potential as a freshman. Best WR on the team. I would definitely take a flier on him in the mid-rounds, Could blow up the combine if he's fully recovered from his ACL.

You never really see Pickens in the open field which isn't super encouraging for him speed wise. I dug in a little and he ran a 4.73 coming out of high school and a former Georgia WR great who was interviewed and said Pickens would become one of the best Georgia WR's of all time talked about how Pickens may not be that fast but still very good and compared him to Alshon Jeffrey. 

All that to say that, while it doesn't mean Pickens won't be a good WR, I'd be a little surprised if he blows up the combine.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, derp said:

You never really see Pickens in the open field which isn't super encouraging for him speed wise. I dug in a little and he ran a 4.73 coming out of high school and a former Georgia WR great who was interviewed and said Pickens would become one of the best WR's of all time talked about how Pickens may not be that fast but still very good and compared him to Alshon Jeffrey. 

All that to say that, while it doesn't mean Pickens won't be a good WR, I'd be a little surprised if he blows up the combine.

If he posts a 4.5... 

10 minutes ago, Jethead said:

If he posts a 4.5... 

At his roughly 200 pounds that's not blowing up the combine. And that's on the faster end of what I'd expect anyway. The article with the other Georgia WR pegged him as around a 4.6 guy. Possible he's gotten faster but he's also been banged up.

He'd need to be sub 4.4 to be at "blow up the combine" status as light as he is and I think there's pretty much no way. Happy to eat crow if I'm wrong.

And again, none of this means he won't be a good WR. I just don't think he's a blow up the combine candidate.

If anything if you want to buy low on him with his profile it's better to see him run 4.58-4.62 and fall a little anyway.

On 12/24/2021 at 5:55 PM, derp said:

A few thoughts on the bold, because the transfer is interesting and something I’ve thought about.

One is that Burrow transferred from Ohio State because he couldn’t beat out JT Barrett and then Dwayne Haskins - sometimes guys just benefit from a change of scenery. Related and in Williams’ case - Metchie was supposed to be the guy at Alabama this year and Williams has just taken over so not like he’s playing with nobody. Alabama has had such a great track record of putting receivers into the NFL too and Williams is putting up really impressive numbers.

I also think there are a variety of valid schools of thought but if the Jets are taking a wide receiver in the first round it needs to be someone with significant upside. The offense doesn’t have a centerpiece, doesn’t have to be a wide receiver but I think taking one in the first round means they need to chase that. There are steady guys to be had in round two and those are usually the safer bets anyway.

I  just can't imagine the Jets taking a WR in the first. Not with their major defensive holes. Could see Neal at OT if he falls, but otherwise, all defense. Would be more useful to look at 2nd and 3rd round WR's. That's were JD will pick one.

1 minute ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I  just can't imagine the Jets taking a WR in the first. Not with their major defensive holes. Could see Neal at OT if he falls, but otherwise, all defense. Would be more useful to look at 2nd and 3rd round WR's. That's were JD will pick one.

Play time wise I'd be kind of surprised if they take Neal. The only way it makes sense is if they don't sign a starting guard in free agency or if they trade Becton. Otherwise there's nowhere to play him and I don't think a backup at a position that doesn't rotate makes sense in the top ten. What seems more likely to me is RG in FA, backup swing tackle day two who can take over for Fant if he, doesn't get re-signed after next season or Becton if they cut ties and hang on to Fant.

I think edge happens. But I don't think they double dip for two reasons.

The most important, and this is already being alluded to by beat writers, is that they're still going to prioritize Wilson's development. Which is smart, that's what can lead to the team having sustained success. Talent on both sides of the ball is deficient. Maybe the defense is worse - but the defense had more injuries as well. If it's close it goes to supporting the development of the young QB.

The other is that the big needs on defense besides more pass rush are linebacker, safety, and...defensive tackle. Defensive tackle and edge is actually the only thing I could see them doing in the first round to double dip on defense. I think the defensive line is what they view as a premium position on that side of the ball, and Fatukasi leaves as a FA. Safety...it's possible they take Hamilton - just a situation where I'll believe it when I see it. Not a premium position. Off ball linebacker also not a premium position and SF really didn't invest heavily. They could do either along with an edge but both strike me as unlikely. Corner, that room is pretty full, cheap, and young. They could add but the top prospect in the draft is coming off an injury. Seems like another position like LB where they'll try to be opportunistic.

So I think one offense one defense and the defensive player is an edge.

Offensively I've outlined why I don't think they go OL. No TE or RB worth taking in the first round let alone the top ten - that's easy to eliminate. That leaves WR. The WR position also works out nicely as they have two capable starters in Davis and Moore, Crowder out the door in free agency, and they run a lot of 11 personnel but not exclusively. Good situation to draft a guy, help the young QB, get the WR play time, but bring him along gradually too.

Overall think it's possible they work on the defense but locking in the QB is more important than the defense and I think WR is the cleanest way to address that side of the ball in this class.

1 hour ago, derp said:

Play time wise I'd be kind of surprised if they take Neal. The only way it makes sense is if they don't sign a starting guard in free agency or if they trade Becton. Otherwise there's nowhere to play him and I don't think a backup at a position that doesn't rotate makes sense in the top ten. What seems more likely to me is RG in FA, backup swing tackle day two who can take over for Fant if he, doesn't get re-signed after next season or Becton if they cut ties and hang on to Fant.

I think edge happens. But I don't think they double dip for two reasons.

The most important, and this is already being alluded to by beat writers, is that they're still going to prioritize Wilson's development. Which is smart, that's what can lead to the team having sustained success. Talent on both sides of the ball is deficient. Maybe the defense is worse - but the defense had more injuries as well. If it's close it goes to supporting the development of the young QB.

The other is that the big needs on defense besides more pass rush are linebacker, safety, and...defensive tackle. Defensive tackle and edge is actually the only thing I could see them doing in the first round to double dip on defense. I think the defensive line is what they view as a premium position on that side of the ball, and Fatukasi leaves as a FA. Safety...it's possible they take Hamilton - just a situation where I'll believe it when I see it. Not a premium position. Off ball linebacker also not a premium position and SF really didn't invest heavily. They could do either along with an edge but both strike me as unlikely. Corner, that room is pretty full, cheap, and young. They could add but the top prospect in the draft is coming off an injury. Seems like another position like LB where they'll try to be opportunistic.

So I think one offense one defense and the defensive player is an edge.

Offensively I've outlined why I don't think they go OL. No TE or RB worth taking in the first round let alone the top ten - that's easy to eliminate. That leaves WR. The WR position also works out nicely as they have two capable starters in Davis and Moore, Crowder out the door in free agency, and they run a lot of 11 personnel but not exclusively. Good situation to draft a guy, help the young QB, get the WR play time, but bring him along gradually too.

Overall think it's possible they work on the defense but locking in the QB is more important than the defense and I think WR is the cleanest way to address that side of the ball in this class.

Nicely reasoned. I would think the argument for WR in the first is that there is a drop off pretty quickly. I like guys like David Bell, who would go a bit later, but if they are really set at CB, they pass on Lloyd or Dean at OLB, and Hamilton is not there, youre argument for a WR makes sense. Agree they would not go TE, RB, or ILB. Or for that matter G or Center. Also, in support of your argument, the FA WR market is pretty bad. 

Re Neal, I see that as a fix for Becton, who would go to RT and Neal to LT.