Six years ago tonight

Jet_Engine1

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

That year with Fitz, Marshall, Decker and Ivory is probably the only time the Jets have had a legit good offense in 15 years. I thoroughly enjoyed that season.

The problem was all those players as well as Brick and Mangold were on the wrong side of their careers so even as it was happening you knew it wasn't sustainable. It was enjoyable as heck and Fitz is so likeable when playing well but god damn did it crash hard. 

Fitz takes a lot of the blame for how he played the following season but absolutely everyone around him sucked. There wasn't a single key player on that team who did another significant thing in the NFL after 2015 except Fitz. Everyone just fell off a f*cking cliff.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Hex said:

Don't get me wrong, the decent year was entertaining, but you should talk to Titans fans after they went 9-7 for the 20th year or something like that

They got sick of it, just like us Jets fans got sick of sucking

I'm not saying being decent is the same or worse than sucking by any means, but being content with average for longer than a year or two isn't a great idea either, and I feel like the end goal should always be in mind. I've argued with other about this, but I would rather suck for 2 more years if it mean building up to the Super Bowl. And we would have a decent year or two in between there to top it all off.

There are 2 types of decent in football: Decent but next year they'll be even better, and Decent but next year they'll still be decent.

I'm rooting for the first type of decent.

I'd like to see us be descent with a chance for more descent.

I'd enjoy being descent for so long I got "sick" of being 9-7 and competing for the postseason every single year for 20 years.

I also don't believe you get to greatness without first going to descent.  Suck direct to dynasty does not exist.

15 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

The problem was all those players as well as Brick and Mangold were on the wrong side of their careers so even as it was happening you knew it wasn't sustainable. It was enjoyable as heck and Fitz is so likeable when playing well but god damn did it crash hard. 

Fitz takes a lot of the blame for how he played the following season but absolutely everyone around him sucked. There wasn't a single key player on that team who did another significant thing in the NFL after 2015 except Fitz. Everyone just fell off a f*cking cliff.

When the QB sucks, everyone sucks.*

*Not a commentary on the Jets’ current situation, which is unrelated.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

I'd like to see us be descent with a chance for more descent.

I'd enjoy being descent for so long I got "sick" of being 9-7 and competing for the postseason every single year for 20 years.

I also don't believe you get to greatness without first going to descent.  Suck direct to dynasty does not exist.

IIRC, Belichick went 5-11 his first year with the Pats then straight to dynasty 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

I love Coke (the soft drink). No coffee for me, 1 liter of Coke in the morning and I'm good to go. But gimme a Pepsi, just as good.

Pepsi destroyed their product. Doesn't taste the same and their marketing has fallen off a cliff. Gimme a Mexican bottle Coke ice cold and a pizza - Heaven.

This thread is a joke.  First, the pining over Fitztragic and a season where the Jets missed the playoffs by losing the last game of the season in painful fashion because he crapped the bed?  Seriously?  That's your definition of fun and entertainment?  Decker and Marshall carried Fitz that season.  Fitz has a weak arm and an arrogant mentality, which is a dangerous combination.  He is also one of the most non-clutch QBs ever. He has never ever won a big game in his life.  Sure, he looks good for a few weeks, but then it falls apart.  It just took a little longer in 2015.  While watching 2015, you could see 2016 coming a mile away.  Whatever Fitz accomplished through smoke and mirrors in 2015 was overshadowed by the loss to Buffalo in week 17, which was on him (and Mevi$) and the horror show he was in 2016.  There is a reason he has been on 9 different teams and has never ever been on the field or even the sideline for a playoff game.  He stinks.  He is the epitome of a JAG, a bridge QB, a mirage, a fraud.  And 2016 wasn't Mac's fault. It was Fitz demanding wayyyy too much money.  As for best seasons for Jets QBs,  2015 does not even rank in the top 5.  Give me Namath in 67, 68, 69, 72: Todd in 81, O'Brien in 85, Testaverde in 98, and - yes - Pennington in 02 and 04.  

And no - Favre does not make the list.  He stunk as a Jet and was clearly using the Jets to get to the Vikings to stick it to GB.  He had a bad season and his stats were padded by 3 very good games vs Arizona, NE, and Ten. The rest of the season was either pedestrian or terrible and he was severely outplayed by Pennington.

The ultimate goal is to strive for a season of decency?  Really?  I've been a Jets fan for 56 years and I've seen plenty of "decent" seasons and they are not fun.  The Jets were decent in 67, 72, 74, 78, 79, 83, 88, 91, 92, 97, 99, 08, 11 ,13, and 15. Some of those season were indicative of a team on the rise, but some were clearly not.  2015 falls in the clearly not category.  I understand that  some of the younger fans have not seen a playoff game yet. But the Jets have not hosted a playoff game or won a division title since 2002.  Even some of the playoff years were just above decent.  As fans, we should want more than meaningful games in December. The goal is to build a team that makes the playoffs every season for a sustained period.  That is the best chance to make a SB.  Nobody expects a dynasty, but a few playoff seasons in a row is attainable.  These past 10 years have been rough, but do you really want another 2015 followed by another period of crap?  I don't.  I want a repeat of the early 80s, but with a SB, or a repeat of 97-06, but with a SB.  You don't get that with a free agent binges and retread veterans making up the core. You get that with a solid overall roster built by strong drafts.  

• Sympathy 1

22 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The ultimate goal is to strive for a season of decency?  Really?  

Ultimate goal?  Of course not.  Much better than what we’ve experienced the last 6 years? Absolutely.

We’d all be willing to handle what we’ve dealt with lately if it were to lead somewhere.  But it hasn’t.  Darnold was a bust and there’s a very good chance Wilson is one as well.  

So if they’re not gonna draft a QB worry a damn, then hell yes would I prefer “decency” to this.

On 12/22/2021 at 6:55 AM, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

This thread is a joke.  First, the pining over Fitztragic and a season where the Jets missed the playoffs by losing the last game of the season in painful fashion because he crapped the bed?  Seriously?  That's your definition of fun and entertainment?  Decker and Marshall carried Fitz that season.  Fitz has a weak arm and an arrogant mentality, which is a dangerous combination.  He is also one of the most non-clutch QBs ever. He has never ever won a big game in his life.  Sure, he looks good for a few weeks, but then it falls apart.  It just took a little longer in 2015.  While watching 2015, you could see 2016 coming a mile away.  Whatever Fitz accomplished through smoke and mirrors in 2015 was overshadowed by the loss to Buffalo in week 17, which was on him (and Mevi$) and the horror show he was in 2016.  There is a reason he has been on 9 different teams and has never ever been on the field or even the sideline for a playoff game.  He stinks.  He is the epitome of a JAG, a bridge QB, a mirage, a fraud.  And 2016 wasn't Mac's fault. It was Fitz demanding wayyyy too much money.  As for best seasons for Jets QBs,  2015 does not even rank in the top 5.  Give me Namath in 67, 68, 69, 72: Todd in 81, O'Brien in 85, Testaverde in 98, and - yes - Pennington in 02 and 04.  

And no - Favre does not make the list.  He stunk as a Jet and was clearly using the Jets to get to the Vikings to stick it to GB.  He had a bad season and his stats were padded by 3 very good games vs Arizona, NE, and Ten. The rest of the season was either pedestrian or terrible and he was severely outplayed by Pennington.

On 12/22/2021 at 7:05 AM, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The ultimate goal is to strive for a season of decency?  Really?  I've been a Jets fan for 56 years and I've seen plenty of "decent" seasons and they are not fun.  The Jets were decent in 67, 72, 74, 78, 79, 83, 88, 91, 92, 97, 99, 08, 11 ,13, and 15. Some of those season were indicative of a team on the rise, but some were clearly not.  2015 falls in the clearly not category.  I understand that  some of the younger fans have not seen a playoff game yet. But the Jets have not hosted a playoff game or won a division title since 2002.  Even some of the playoff years were just above decent.  As fans, we should want more than meaningful games in December. The goal is to build a team that makes the playoffs every season for a sustained period.  That is the best chance to make a SB.  Nobody expects a dynasty, but a few playoff seasons in a row is attainable.  These past 10 years have been rough, but do you really want another 2015 followed by another period of crap?  I don't.  I want a repeat of the early 80s, but with a SB, or a repeat of 97-06, but with a SB.  You don't get that with a free agent binges and retread veterans making up the core. You get that with a solid overall roster built by strong drafts.  

Who hurt you?

• Haha 1