Do Jets have the right people in charge?

Jet Nut

6 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Douglas blew the 2020 draft, and his handpicked quarterback, taken with the highest draft pick we’ve had in decades, looks atrocious. It won’t happen but we would lose nothing by replacing him. There are no signs, no data, no facts that indicate that he can build this franchise into a winning one. 

Saleh is pretty awful as well. 

@Lith posted a list of the highly drafted QBs over the last 10 years that had miserable rookie years. 2 of 9 went on to become FQBs (Allen and Stafford). The others bombed completely.

So I wouldn't say there is "no data" to indicate he can become a FQB but it is fair to say that the data does not favor that outcome as likely.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

“Everybody wants to win now, but the general rule is a GM needs three years to get anything done, assuming he’s not taking over a franchise in good shape,” a current NFL general manager said. “With the Jets, it was so bad there, you might get progress after three years. But that’s a five-year rebuilding project at least.

Found Belichick. Scumbag. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Wit said:

Great article. The jets were such a dumpster fire they needed five years to be turned around. Ouch. The rot wasn’t just the roster, but the scouting department, the internal workings of the staff. The results in the win loss record will start to show up as well. I believe. I hope. Firing and hiring a new team will just be knifing the organization in the gut and miring us into another decade if ineptitude. This franchise had to start somewhere. 

What a damning indictment of ownership. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Irish Jet said:

Absolutely no ******* NFL franchise takes 5 years to turn around.

What are we doing here? What are we actually suggesting? That Douglas gets another two years of league worst type performances before we can evaluate him?

This fanbase is trash. Cultists.

This is only Year 1 of Teh Rebuild™. So he gets 4 more years, actually.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

What are we doing here? What are we actually suggesting? That Douglas gets another two years of league worst type performances before we can evaluate him?

Well the forever rebuilding Detroit lions and Cleveland browns would like to have a word with you. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

It takes a good draft and some competent coaches to make it better. The Jets leading the league in guys in the trainers room isnt going to turn this around either. Where has Joe Douglas been anyways?

Sleeping under a tree waiting for the draft

“Someone like Joe Douglas comes in, you’ve got to realize he’s still doing things like hiring the scouts he wants, implementing his system, his way of writing reports, his way of setting up a draft board,” added former Eagles president Joe Banner, one of the co-founders of The 33rd Team. “So you really have to see a lot of negative stuff to think after one or two years you have to make a change.”

We're not building a ******* rocket ship here. The humps on Jetnation such as myself could handle the draft if we had to and do a better job.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Wit said:

Well the forever rebuilding Detroit lions and Cleveland browns would like to have a word with you. 

Matt Millen was the Lions' CEO for seven full seasons, from 2001 to 2007; during that time, the club compiled a record of 31–81 (with at least nine losses each season). Detroit's .277 winning percentage was among the worst ever compiled by an NFL team over a seven-year period; only the Chicago Cardinals of 1939-45 (10-61-3, .141) and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of 1983–1989 (26–86, .234) were less successful.

Just now, The Crusher said:

The discussions starts at deciding who of the two should go first in my opinion. 

Thankfully I have slats sticking up for me every day in the mod lounge. Then again, Jet Nut provides a lot of entertainment....

I don't envy your decision.

4 minutes ago, Wit said:

You literally couldn’t have picked a worse example lol.

Even putting aside the fact that the Lions famously persist with awful upper management I don’t even know what point you’re even trying to make here?

The Browns - like almost every other team in the league - don’t stick by GM’s who put together 5 consecutive losing seasons, so we actually should? 

Have you no standards? This is the god damn NFL. It’s literally designed to ensure teams are competitive. The idea that anyone should be entitled to a five year project is absolutely f*cking insane. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

“Everybody wants to win now, but the general rule is a GM needs three years to get anything done, assuming he’s not taking over a franchise in good shape,” a current NFL general manager said. “With the Jets, it was so bad there, you might get progress after three years. But that’s a five-year rebuilding project at least.

Found Belichick. Scumbag. 

Bill Murray Applause GIF by MOODMAN

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Nothing in the article says or hints that we should give JD another two years of leagues whatever type performances to evaluate him.  

But I do agree there is a large part of the fanbase that are trash.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

The discussions starts at deciding who of the two should go first in my opinion. 

They're tied at the hip.

I don't see any conceivable way you could 1) fire Saleh and let Douglas pick another coach or 2) fire Douglas and saddle the new GM with Saleh.

You need to either clean house and let these two see their plan through -- the latter seems like the more likely play.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

The Browns - like almost every other team in the league - don’t stick by GM’s who put together 5 consecutive losing seasons, so we actually should? 

Have you no standards? This is the god damn NFL. It’s literally designed to ensure teams are competitive. The idea that anyone should be entitled to a five year project is absolutely f*cking insane. 

Instead of playing the angry man maybe you should take the time to read, no one has said we need to stick with a GM who puts together 5 consecutive losing seasons.  

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

They're tied at the hip.

I don't see any conceivable way you could 1) fire Saleh and let Douglas pick another coach or 2) fire Douglas and saddle the new GM with Saleh.

You need to either clean house and let these two see their plan through -- the latter seems like the more likely play.

If JD drafts well and signs the right FAs but Saleh cant coach them into winners, I could see Saleh getting let go and JD sticking 

• Upvote 2

On 12/21/2021 at 3:19 PM, Matt39 said:

We're not building a ******* rocket ship here. The humps on Jetnation such as myself could handle the draft if we had to and do a better job.

Its amazing to me also.  After the draft, all the picks I've made in my mind become all pros.  All of them.  Funny how that works

• Haha 2

So here's the question.

Do you buy the idea that the roster was so bad that it will take multiple years to rebuild it? Do you believe that essentially have bare minimum NFL talent from whiffing in the draft for a decade can't be overcome in two years?

Because in reality Douglas has had two off-seasons during which he's gutted the roster and began to rebuild it and thus far it clearly hasn't been good enough. What is the right amount of time to know?

What is easy to like about Douglas is his "process" -- he likes to acquire draft picks, be smart in FA, keep contracts short, and seems to win almost every trade he makes. He values premium positions. He has a worthy pedigree. At a minimum, he's not some completely unqualified goof like Maccganan who seems to have no discernable plan. 

The biggest knock on him at this point is that the 2020 draft does look like a dog -- but if you believed in him when he was hired I think you need to give him more time to see if he can stack drafts more effectively. Disregarding the elephant in the room for a second (the QB position) I like the early returns on the 2021 draft and I want to see what he can do in 2022.

I'm far less confident in Saleh. Liked the hire but it's tough to watch a team whose coach built his reputation on defense, teaching, and motivation get just bulldozed and smoked on defense. He too deserves more time for sure. Needs more talent, more guys to fit his system. But I'm worried the Cover 3 Seattle defense he wants to run requires elite players and has been "figured out" by the league's top offenses. If that's the case I'm not sure how much value he's adding.

Ironically I feel better about LaFleur that I did before the season. As awful as Wilson has been I feel like at its core this offense works. From a scheme standpoint the defense worries me more which hasn't been the case... In my entire life as a Jets fan.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

They need to have a backup option. If they go into 2022 with Zach and nobody else it's likely going to be trouble.

I defer my thoughts for a designated thread where negative opinions about the QB are allowed.

• Haha 1