Jump to content

Do Jets have the right people in charge?


Jet Nut
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I'm confused by those that both think the franchise has been a dumpster fire with bad, or no leadership, for a decade, but who also think that the new administration should be fired if they don't turn things around in 2 seasons. The logic is truly baffling. It takes 53 players to create a winning team. As we've seen, a crappy starting RG can destroy an entire offense, and injuries to starters require that starting quality backups are waiting in the wings to seize their opportunity. You cannot remake a 53 man roster and secure a team's long term future through free agency. The really good franchises draft their players and only use free agency to fill a need they've had no luck filling through the draft.  As Hobson told Linda in Arthur (the original, I didn't see the remake), "Young woman this is a tie you cannot steal, this is a tie you will have to earn." If the Jets want to be a model winning franchise, they will have to earn it by building methodically through the draft and not being distracted by shiny objects and promises of quick fixes.

I respect your opinion.

But I do not agree.

Competence does not take multiple seasons to "rebuild" in the modern, parity-centric free-agent era NFL.

Competence, i.e. competing (even if not winning), i.e. not being a joke, is a one-to-two offseason effort.

Now, many here give JD a pass because his first year-and-a-half were with his friend and the man who hired him, Gase.  And many claim that we're "doing it right" by somehow failing to utilize free agency well.

OK, fine. 

But next year, JD will have had three drafts and offseasons to build this team to competence, two of them with this staff.

If we're still not competent, then I will no longer support JD at seasons end next year. 

Patience is fine, but it is not endless.  I expect any new regime to FIRST return this team to "mediocrity" as some call it, i.e. being a professional, competitive, non-joke team.

IMO we should be competitive next year.  Not what we are now. 

If we're not, it's on JD, and change may be warranted.

So we'll see.

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

doing it right

Easily The most annoying phrase about this rebuild no one has clearly articulated to me. The only semi couerent argument I have heard is not giving big contracts out. However he has 

Carl Lawson and 

Corey Davis 

Thats a lot of money. Fair or not, injury or not, how much have those two contributed to making this team better? 
 

So can someone please explain the “Right way” again

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Can you let us know when you'll be in the buidling next?

Maybe take some pictures, grab the medical report.  Give Bechton a piece of your mind? 

Btw, I've played hockey with a guy who dislocated his kneecap.  Gruesome. Couldn't walk normal for a year.  

You literally have no idea what you are talking anbout.  

Like I said it’s not that deep. Players play. Guys who game the system to hang in the trainers room don’t. It’s sports. Dudes who want to play play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think Becton needs to be constantly pushed and nobody on the coaching staff is capable of it because Saleh surrounded himself with weak personalities who wouldn’t threaten his job. 

Draft a guy who got to the league based off of nothing but his given gifts without a plan will be a guy who’s out of the league in 3 years. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

2 drafts, the first one when he had barely been in his seat for a different coahcing staff and the second one looking very very good.

Yup, time to cut bait, he's a failure.  

Lol.  

Yeah, I'm not bailing on a GM or a Coach universally acknowledged as great hires.

Fix the talent level, the team will prosper.  

What do you mean barely had been in his seat? His first draft he had been the GM for the jets for a full season already.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Draft a guy who got to the league based off of nothing but his given gifts without a plan will be a guy who’s out of the league in 3 years. 

Parcells had this quote about Jumbo Elliot when he was drafted, that Bo Schembechler said he’d be a ten-year OLT if you kicked him in the ass every day. Who’s kicking anyone in the ass on the Jets coaching staff? They’re all weak bitches and the team plays like weak bitches.  

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Like I said it’s not that deep. Players play. Guys who game the system to hang in the trainers room don’t. It’s sports. Dudes who want to play play.

It’s not that deep. Let us know when you’ll be in the building again and when you can grab his post-operative reports. And all his work out records. 

Or continue to speculate. Based on feelings. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

It’s not that deep. Let us know when you’ll be in the building again and when you can grab his post-operative reports. And all his work out records. 

Or continue to speculate. Based on feelings. 

Well this is a message board and it’s whole purpose is to serve fan speculation 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I respect your opinion.

But I do not agree.

Competence does not take multiple seasons to "rebuild" in the modern, parity-centric free-agent era NFL.

Competence, i.e. competing (even if not winning), i.e. not being a joke, is a one-to-two offseason effort.

Now, many here give JD a pass because his first year-and-a-half were with his friend and the man who hired him, Gase.  And many claim that we're "doing it right" by somehow failing to utilize free agency well.

OK, fine. 

But next year, JD will have had three drafts and offseasons to build this team to competence, two of them with this staff.

If we're still not competent, then I will no longer support JD at seasons end next year. 

Patience is fine, but it is not endless.  I expect any new regime to FIRST return this team to "mediocrity" as some call it, i.e. being a professional, competitive, non-joke team.

IMO we should be competitive next year.  Not what we are now. 

If we're not, it's on JD, and change may be warranted.

So we'll see.

Where in the article or anywhere els does it say we cant be competent in less time?  My take was serious contention would take longer and is a different thing.  I  just want the team to play with a purpose, to play as if it actually believes it can win and therefore we, the fans believe they can win.  More than anything I miss the days where while driving to the stadium I thought we at least had a chance to win the days matchup.  Not like today

Where in the world do you people get the idea that Gase hired JD?  Because he knew him from their 1 year together in Chicago and Gase signed off on him as someone who he could work with? Gase had nothing to do with the hire.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Dislocated kneecap, torn cartilage, surgery.

No one, not even his surgeons, can accurately predict when he'd heal. 4-8 weeks could very well have been 4-20 weeks.  

But we've got some doctors here making diagnoses. 

Dislocated kneecap.  Yeah, get back out there fatty.  

I’m surprised even the Becton apologists aren’t even a bit more curious on why the organization has been so coy on Becton’s status. JDs SS style ministry of information is keeping a tight lid on whatever is really going on. I can’t think of any reason to be so secretive if it’s not a negative. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, The Crusher said:

The discussions starts at deciding who of the two should go first in my opinion. 

Well that means Douglas goes and the new GM gets stuck with Saleh and headaches. Been a recipe for disaster the last 10 years. Why change now?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Probably right. The decision to not have a plan b for Zach not being ready is honestly a fireable offense. Kid should have never been given the starting gig, should have been obvious he needed time. 

i have to disagree with this. i dont see any benefit of him sitting the year. and if your talking about competition remember he was really good in preseason. he would have beat out anyone we brought in.

how good can he see from the sideline? is it better than under center? 

sorry i just dont see it. i think he learned more yesterday about Miami and its blitz then he did watching Flacco play them the 1st time.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just feel like Saleh is a good man caught up in this idea of results being positive ... as long as he is a nice guy, the players will play well for him on their own.

Some players are not mature. Some need their asses kicked as motivation ... not everyon is a CJ Mosley.

Camp cupcake hasnt worked ... let's see if it is more of the same next year.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk





  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

My ranking of Most Problematic Jets personnel (excluding Zach Wilson, who is terrific) starts with Saleh, who has done nothing well since being hired, and further down the list is Douglas. If Douglas hopes to survive, he needs to step in and whack some of these bums that Saleh has hired and bring in some experienced hands, preferably at DC. Saleh is possibly the most inept coach I’ve seen here since Kotite.

i agree.

i hope JD tells Saleh to give up this defensive scheme. a better defense and we have a extra 4 wins ( Miami 2, Carolina, Atlanta )

imagine how happy we would be at 7-7

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, mrmajix said:

I’m surprised even the Becton apologists aren’t even a bit more curious on why the organization has been so coy on Becton’s status. JDs SS style ministry of information is keeping a tight lid on whatever is really going on. I can’t think of any reason to be so secretive if it’s not a negative. 

Or no reason to be open about anything other than to placate emotional fans. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

JD is the best Jets GM in over a decade.  The dude has earned an extension.  Ten year minimum.  Saleh needs another year or two to turn it around.  I'm confident the bastardized way the Johnson were able to corral these two to work for the Jets will pay huge dividends.

  • Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Where in the article…

I was not responding to the article. 

Quote

 My take…

Nor was I responding to you.

Quote

I just want the team to play with a purpose, to play as if it actually believes it can win and therefore we, the fans believe they can win.

That would be a good start.

Quote

Where in the world do you people get the idea that Gase hired JD?  Because he knew him from their 1 year together in Chicago and Gase signed off on him as someone who he could work with? Gase had nothing to do with the hire.  

Gase was the acting GM at the time JD was hired, was involved in the firing of the previous GM, and was, I believe, involved in the interviewing of JD. Given the power vested in Gase at that time I have no doubt Gase was involved in his hire.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

They're tied at the hip.

I don't see any conceivable way you could 1) fire Saleh and let Douglas pick another coach or 2) fire Douglas and saddle the new GM with Saleh.

You need to either clean house and let these two see their plan through -- the latter seems like the more likely play.

Steve Keim hired Wilkins as HC in Arz and drafted Josh Rosen in 2018. 
 

The latter 2 were gone in ‘19 and Keim - who most would assume picked the HC and FQB, and thus “tied at the hip” with them as well - kept his job and rebuilt with Kinsbury and Murray. 
 

They could fire Saleh and keep JD, especially since the ‘21 draft has gleaned players as opposed to the mulligan of COVID 2020 draft. My 2¢.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Let's be honest. Saleh so far has been a disaster. 

 

The Defense has regressed to being the worst unit in the league, and his chosen DC has been simply terrible. Ulbrich essentially calls games at the same level of insanity ALL YEAR that Gregg Williams did ONCE and got fired for. 

 

Bob Saleh has managed to make us actually question if Adam Gase really deserved to get fired. Think about that. JFC.

 

Eric Bienemy,  Brian Schottenheimer,  Brian Daboll....pretty much ANYONE not named Urban would have been better choices, ESPECIALLY for a team picking a QB to DEVELOP with a top 2 pick. 

They literally paired an inferior Todd Bowles to an inferior Sam Darnold.

WTF were they THINKING???

It’s really come into stark focus this week, imo. Teams are out there competing their asses off with entire position groups on the Covid list and Jets fans are giving a pass to Saleh week after week when his vaunted defensive scheme is making backup running backs look like Walter Payton even though he has highly-rated DT’s and an $18 million dollar former All-Pro ILB on his defense. The team isn’t competitive, it isn’t smart, and it isn’t fun. Player who showed promise under the execrable Adam Gase have absolutely packed it in under Saleh. He hired his inexperienced and clearly overmatched pals as coordinators. It’s really hard to pick out one thing he does well. Teach? No. Motivate? lol. Inspire? **** no. Strategize? Clearly no. He was overrated as a DC (thanks to a vicious running game in San Fran) and he’s been exposed as a fraud here, Honestly, if I’m Joe Douglas, I have to think about firing this dude before he costs me my career, and even then it’s probably too late.

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They have the right coach and GM, both are learning on the job. The roster is young and banged up. No veteran in the secondary only one real LB. Corners are rookies who flash potential. Rookie play caller rookie QB. What did you really expect. This team needs 2 more drafts just to be competitive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JD is the best Jets GM in over a decade.  The dude has earned an extension.  Ten year minimum.  Saleh needs another year or two to turn it around.  I'm confident the bastardized way the Johnson were able to corral these two to work for the Jets will pay huge dividends.
I support this extension idea... solidify the foundation.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Or no reason to be open about anything other than to placate emotional fans. 

If Becton is secretly at Atlantic Health Facility working out like a madman, rehabbing, getting stronger, getting counseling on nutrition and comes back next year at 345lbs, faster and stronger, nobody will care.

 

I hope that's what he's doing. So much potential and natural ability. Be a shame for him to waste it. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Let's be honest. Saleh so far has been a disaster. 

 

The Defense has regressed to being the worst unit in the league, and his chosen DC has been simply terrible. Ulbrich essentially calls games at the same level of insanity ALL YEAR that Gregg Williams did ONCE and got fired for. 

 

Bob Saleh has managed to make us actually question if Adam Gase really deserved to get fired. Think about that. JFC.

 

Eric Bienemy,  Brian Schottenheimer,  Brian Daboll....pretty much ANYONE not named Urban would have been better choices, ESPECIALLY for a team picking a QB to DEVELOP with a top 2 pick. 

They literally paired an inferior Todd Bowles to an inferior Sam Darnold.

WTF were they THINKING???

No. Saleh has not been a disaster. 

Ulbrich has been a bit suspect, but he is also missing Lawson, Maye, Joyner, Cashman, and Curry. I don't know how much more Williams could have done with this defensive group. I'll give you that Williams likely would have squeezed out a bit more from this group, but not much more. 

No. Saleh did not manage to make us question if Adam Gase deserved to be fired. 

No. Eric Bienemy, Brian Schottenheimer, or Brian Daboll would have not been better choices. 

No. They didn't even figuratively pair an inferior Todd Bowles with an inferior Sam Darnold. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

No. Saleh has not been a disaster. 

Ulbrich has been a bit suspect, but he is also missing Lawson, Maye, Joyner, Cashman, and Curry. I don't know how much more Williams could have done with this defensive group. I'll give you that Williams likely would have squeezed out a bit more from this group, but not much more. 

No. Saleh did not manage to make us question if Adam Gase deserved to be fired. 

No. Eric Bienemy, Brian Schottenheimer, or Brian Daboll would have not been better choices. 

No. They didn't even figuratively pair an inferior Todd Bowles with an inferior Sam Darnold. 

@Jet_Engine1 The Jets lost Blake Cashman so they were helpless against future Hall of Famer Duke Johnson. Hope this helps.

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

No. Saleh has not been a disaster. 

Ulbrich has been a bit suspect, but he is also missing Lawson, Maye, Joyner, Cashman, and Curry. I don't know how much more Williams could have done with this defensive group. I'll give you that Williams likely would have squeezed out a bit more from this group, but not much more. 

No. Saleh did not manage to make us question if Adam Gase deserved to be fired. 

No. Eric Bienemy, Brian Schottenheimer, or Brian Daboll would have not been better choices. 

No. They didn't even figuratively pair an inferior Todd Bowles with an inferior Sam Darnold. 

Who is “Curry” again?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...