to the fans that preach "patience"

kmnj

18 minutes ago, slats said:

Some of the most vocally impatient fans here are not now, nor have ever been, Jets’ season ticket holders. I preach patience purely to assist my fellow Jet fans with their general mental health. Joe Douglas, Robert Saleh, and Zach Wilson are all returning next year as the GM, HC, and starting QB, respectively, whether you or anyone else has patience or not. I’d rather live in that reality than in the fire everyone they suck mentality that’s simply not going to happen. I’d rather discuss what needs to improve in a constructive way rather than just bitch and moan. But that’s me. Everyone else is free to look at it how they wish, but praying for these guys to be fired or Zach to be replaced seems awfully, painfully futile to me. 

Exactly

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, slats said:

Some of the most vocally impatient fans here are not now, nor have ever been, Jets’ season ticket holders. I preach patience purely to assist my fellow Jet fans with their general mental health. Joe Douglas, Robert Saleh, and Zach Wilson are all returning next year as the GM, HC, and starting QB, respectively, whether you or anyone else has patience or not. I’d rather live in that reality than in the fire everyone they suck mentality that’s simply not going to happen. I’d rather discuss what needs to improve in a constructive way rather than just bitch and moan. But that’s me. Everyone else is free to look at it how they wish, but praying for these guys to be fired or Zach to be replaced seems awfully, painfully futile to me. 

Very eloquently put.  Well said, Sir.  

8 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

You keep saying theres progress when there is none. The product on the field is miserable. In what world are our cornerbacks playing well? It isnt this one.

If you want to just ignore what you are seeing and choose to live on nothing but hopes and dreams, and drink the Douglas kool aid, that's fine.

But dont piss on my shoulder and tell me its raining. Because the only accomplishment Douglas has achieved is somehow cultivating a cult like fan base based on nothing.

Agree to disagree then my brother. 

I cant help you if all you see is gloom and doom.

I see a brighter future for this team for the first time in many years. I'm sorry you don't but please dont block my optimism with your black clouds of doom.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Lith said:

What option do we have other than to be patient.  We are not likely to win more than 3 or 4 games this year.  We still lack playmakers on both sides of the ball.  And we have a QB who is not where i had hoped he would be at this stage of his rookie year. 

Free Agency is likely to be a downer for us.  It is awfully tough for the Jets to sign top tier FAs who are more likely to want to go to a winner than be part of a never ending rebuild.  Either we are going to have to overpay, which has not exactly worked out for us in the past (Mosley, Bell, Johnson, etc.) or we will be active in the second wave of FA while the guys we talk about all through Jan/Feb choose to sign elsewhere.

This is where we are at and it sucks.  I really hope JD, Saleh and Co can find a way to take a signfiicant step forward next year -- I really want to watch meaningful football in November and December.  I am just vey skeptical that it happens next year. 

So i have no choice to be patient.  But it sucks.

When does your patience run out? If we win 6 or less games next year are you still going to be patient?

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I'm not going to sit here and brag about improvement, but I think this post is slightly misguided because I think youre making it seem much worse than reality.  

The 2021 NY Jets are giving up a whole 1.8 more points a game than the 2020 NY Jets.  Yes, they dropped 6 spots in the standings, from 26th to 32nd, so yes, the worst but really, what are we talking about, it's not even 2 whole points worse a game.  This D was never respectable last year, and it was destined for last place the day Lawson went down this year.

On the flip side, the offense is averaging 2 more points a game and went from 32nd, to 26th.  Sound familiar?  Further, the Jets had 7 games last year where they scored 10 or less points, this season?  3.  And we know the offense can be very good since they led the league in yards for the 4 weeks Zach was out.  

In 21, the Jets have lost 7 games by 1 TD or less this season.  Last year, they only had 4, 1 score losses.  Last year they led the league in double digit losses.  Adam Gase had more double-digit losses than he did wins as a Head Coach.  Last year, they had 9 double digit losses, this year, they've had 6.  

Yes, the season isnt over and this could change but there has been tangible results and ironically, the one that matters the most, is the win column.  This team will win double the number of wins from 20 to 21.

I'm actually kind of surprised by this because the D seems so awful. 

I live in TN, so no way to be a season ticket holder, but I've been a Jet fan for 50+ years and endured lots of bad years. 

As a general rule, I feel that a GM or HC should get 3 full seasons to show what they can do, but maybe take a year off of that if they are taking over a decent team and it regresses badly. I also feel like GMs should get to pick at least one HC before they get fired.

JD took over an awful team suffering from the terrible Mac years.  He seems to have had a bad 2020 draft, but a good 2021 draft, even if Zach does not pan out.  So, the upcoming 2022 is very important for him.  I'll agree with the "fire JD" crowd if the team does not play noticeably better next year.  He'll have had 3 full years (drafts and free agency) and got to pick his HC.

As for Saleh, 2022 is key for him, too.  I still remember the Jets firing Pete Carroll after just one year to hire Rich Kotite.   

1 hour ago, Copernicus said:

Thanks for the response RBS, points well taken. Some of your thoughts we are lock step, others I would debate slightly.

The idea of sitting a high drafted QB seems to be a thing of the past. My honest opinion, there are positives and negatives on both sides. Zach has a year under his belt. He knows what to expect next season. Is that better than what Trey Lance experienced? Will Trey Lance benefit or will SF suffer with one less year to evaluate before pulling the trigger on a huge deal?. Everyone's different and time will tell. I cant blame the Jets for starting Zach, if it works great, if it doesnt it doesnt. It's not a crazy idea to start a QB drafted #2 right away.

Might not be the norm, but starting a vet over a highly drafted QB is still fairly commonplace.

• Andy Dalton started ahead of Fields, Jimmy G over Trey Lance 
  • Herbert only started last year because of a freak injury to Tyrod 
  • Alex Smith over Mahomes for 15 games

People also forget Burrow was a 24 y/o rookie. 

If we're asked to be patient, or we hear the rumor that Saleh told the Jets management/ownership that '2021 was going to be rough', then why throw your most valuable asset out there for a beating?

For a long stretch of the season I did not post, because I genuinely do not enjoy the 'same old planes' narrative. But sometimes cliches are true. And unfortunately, this season has done nothing to dispel that notion. 

Hopefully we draft well and spend free agent coin like pre-revolutionary french nobility this offseason. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, kmnj said:

I have read over and over again since Joe got here (actually with the two clowns before )that fans need to be patient and "there is a plan" and we are "building through the draft" and it will take a few years.

my question to those that keep  preaching patience ( you know who you are)  do you have season tickets and if so for how many years (if you are willing to answer that)

I personally walked away from my paid psls.  I had over 300 home and road games in attendance. I ran out of patience and left for other reasons as well. 

I get having hope and wanting to support your team but when people are spending thousands of dollars every year to ask them to be patient is a big ask these days and to expect them to not be critical when the team is stuck in the basement of the league year in and year out is also a big ask

Here's the reality:

A successful turnaround will require patience. That doesn't mean that any particular situation in which people say "have patience" will ultimately be successful, and the fact that patience didn't pay off before tells you nothing about whether it'll pay off this time.

Early returns on Wilson are terrible, and the team shouldn't avoid making potential QB moves because of the sunk cost. But the reality is there's not going to be a meaningfully better option available next year (the draft class is terrible and the FA class isn't loaded with options https://overthecap.com/free-agency/). The Jets should be looking to sign a guy like Taylor, Bridgewater, or Mariota to compete with Wilson for the starting QB job next year; Bridgewater in particular would be a great fit for this offense (high completion percentage, generally makes good decisions). But that's about the best they can do, and they certainly shouldn't do something stupid like deal multiple first round picks for a Watson or Russell Wilson (for different reasons)

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

When does your patience run out? If we win 6 or less games next year are you still going to be patient?

I have been a fan for 50 plus years.  I want a winner as much as the next guy.  If they win 6 games next year, it will suck.  It is not going to make me feel better if I screamed and hollered for guys heads.  Or if I stopped watching the team.  I am not a season ticket holder, I live out of town, so my financial support for the team is limited anyway.  So it will be another lost season and I will wait for the next one.  What choice do I have?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Might not be the norm, but starting a vet over a highly drafted QB is still fairly commonplace.

• Andy Dalton started ahead of Fields, Jimmy G over Trey Lance 
  • Herbert only started last year because of a freak injury to Tyrod 
  • Alex Smith over Mahomes for 15 games

People also forget Burrow was a 24 y/o rookie. 

If we're asked to be patient, or we hear the rumor that Saleh told the Jets management/ownership that '2021 was going to be rough', then why throw your most valuable asset out there for a beating?

For a long stretch of the season I did not post, because I genuinely do not enjoy the 'same old planes' narrative. But sometimes cliches are true. And unfortunately, this season has done nothing to dispel that notion. 

Hopefully we draft well and spend free agent coin like pre-revolutionary french nobility this offseason. 

I agree...they really should have sat Zach at least until after the bye week, and maybe longer.  Of course, it may not matter, Zach might just end up a massive bust, but the Jets could've handled it better given a first year HC and OC.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I'm not going to sit here and brag about improvement, but I think this post is slightly misguided because I think youre making it seem much worse than reality.  

The 2021 NY Jets are giving up a whole 1.8 more points a game than the 2020 NY Jets.  Yes, they dropped 6 spots in the standings, from 26th to 32nd, so yes, the worst but really, what are we talking about, it's not even 2 whole points worse a game.  This D was never respectable last year, and it was destined for last place the day Lawson went down this year.

On the flip side, the offense is averaging 2 more points a game and went from 32nd, to 26th.  Sound familiar?  Further, the Jets had 7 games last year where they scored 10 or less points, this season?  3.  And we know the offense can be very good since they led the league in yards for the 4 weeks Zach was out.  

In 21, the Jets have lost 7 games by 1 TD or less this season.  Last year, they only had 4, 1 score losses.  Last year they led the league in double digit losses.  Adam Gase had more double-digit losses than he did wins as a Head Coach.  Last year, they had 9 double digit losses, this year, they've had 6.  

Yes, the season isnt over and this could change but there has been tangible results and ironically, the one that matters the most, is the win column.  This team will win double the number of wins from 20 to 21.

Jets defense gave up

323 yards per game in 2019

387 yards per game in 2020

391 yards per game in 2021

Notice a pattern?

But it goes beyond stats. A lot of the games, teams are going into garbage time by the 3rd quarter. This has happened several times throughout the year. Games that should have been one sided blow outs on the scoreboard and stats, ended up looking far closer then the games actually were because the opposing team straight up stopped playing.

We saw what happened in that Patriots game when a team played to the whistle.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Jets defense gave up

Notice a pattern?

But it goes beyond stats. A lot of the games, teams are going into garbage time by the 3rd quarter. This has happened several times throughout the year. Games that should have been one sided blow outs on the scoreboard and stats, ended up looking far closer then the games actually were because the opposing team straight up stopped playing.

Man, I didn't realize that the loss of Jamal Adams would affect the Jets that much!!

:-)

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

I have been a fan for 50 plus years.  I want a winner as much as the next guy.  If they win 6 games next year, it will suck.  It is not going to make me feel better if I screamed and hollered for guys heads.  Or if I stopped watching the team.  I am not a season ticket holder, I live out of town, so my financial support for the team is limited anyway.  So it will be another lost season and I will wait for the next one.  What choice do I have?

We have literally seen what happens to a GM (Idzik) and a coach (gase) when fans make enough noise.

When someone is doing a poor job for 3 years, 2 more isnt going to change things. They're just going to do a poor job for 5 years and waste everyone's time. Macc should have been fired before he was. We didnt lose anything by firing idzik and Gase early.

The league has had countless examples of teams moving on quickly from a GM/Coach/QB and it being the right decision. Wr could have held on to Darbold for 10 years and he still would have defenders on this board.

The only thing that matters in this league is results, everything else is just window dressing. There is nothing to suggest this regime is suddenly going to take us to great heights. 

35 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

But dont piss on my shoulder and tell me its raining. Because the only accomplishment Douglas has achieved is somehow cultivating a cult like fan base based on nothing.

For me, how patient I feel about my team is a very personal thing.

I can be as patient as I choose.  I'm not going to "preach" patience to anyone.

If you want to constantly b*tch and whine about the Jets, have at it.  I'm not going to change your mind just as you'e not going to change mine.  

I'm not going to "piss" down your shoulder about anything, I don't know you nor do I care about you or your b*tching and whining.

I feel like exercising some patience at this time. And for as long as I choose to do so.  I'm sorry if it offends you because some of us personally feel that way. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

For me, how patient I feel about my team is a very personal thing.

I can be as patient as I choose.  I'm not going to "preach" patience to anyone.

If you want to constantly b*tch and whine about the Jets, have at it.  I'm not going to change your mind just as you'e not going to change mine.  

I'm not going to "piss" down your shoulder about anything, I don't know you nor do I care about you or your b*tching and whining.

I feel like exercising some patience at this time. And for as long as I choose to do so.  I'm sorry if it offends you because some of us personally feel that way. 

I want my team to win. Some of you seem fine with losing. 

We will never agree. 

Seeing the Jets stick with Douglas in 2022 is very stubborn of ownership. It's similar to the doubling down Seattle has done when signing their GM to an extension after the Jamal Adams trade. The aggressive move would be to get the mistakes out the building à la the Arizona Cardinals. The cheaper move would be to stay the course.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

In 2020 the Jets had the worst MOV in the league at -13.4. 

With 3 games left in the 2021 season the Jets again own the worst MOV in the league at -12.7. It's going to probably go up to around last seasons negative MOV with the last two games vs the Buccaneers and Bills. 

5 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Seeing the Jets stick with Douglas in 2022 is very stubborn of ownership. It's similar to the doubling down Seattle has done when signing their GM to an extension after the Jamal Adams trade. The aggressive move would be to get the mistakes out the building à la the Arizona Cardinals. The cheaper move would be to stay the course.

Everyone wants to point to the Arizona Cardinals. they were 5-10 Kingsbury rookie year with Murray. How is this so different than with Zach that Saleh should be fired and Zach cut?

Rookie of the week twice, has cut down on his INTs over the last 6 games dramatically, looks more confident, and came out 6-6 on short and intermediate throws with multiple TD drives against a good Miami defense.

How is this so different?

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

The Cards still employ the GM who drafted Josh Rosen. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Everyone wants to point to the Arizona Cardinals. they were 5-10 Kingsbury rookie year with Murray. How is this so different than with Zach that Saleh should be fired and Zach cut?

Rookie of the week twice, has cut down on his INTs over the last 6 games dramatically, looks more confident, and came out 6-6 on short and intermediate throws with multiple TD drives against a good Miami defense.

How is this so different?

The Cardinals in 2019 had an MOV of -5.1 and play in the NFC West which had the the 13-3 Seahawks, 12-4 49ers, and the 9-7 Rams. The Cardinals beat the 11-3 Seahawks in week 16 at Seattle by two touchdowns 27-13. You see the Jets doing something like at Buffalo in 17 days?

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

Actually the Jets are averaging only 15.1 points per season with Zach, which is really all that matters and that's lower than last years league worst, historically bad offence when you'd assume there's nowhere to go but up. It's been hugely inflated by games where QB's irrelevant to future of the franchise have played. And this is the problem with this season. Douglas has taken his shot at QB and it looks as bad it could possibly have looked. We went into this season wanting progress but more than that we wanted signs that Zach was the guy. What we have seen is the exact f*cking opposite.  

We are not better than last year at all. We've played a far easier schedule and that is the source of the "improvement". Some of those games where we lost by one TD or less just weren't competitive. Carolina and especially Atlanta absolutely steamrolled us until garbage time. We will double the win total simply because we play Jacksonville and Houston while Mike White inexplicably had the greatest debut of all time. As for the defence we are a lot worse. We're giving up .5 YPC more this year which doesn't sound like much but it is. We've already given up 200 more yards on less attempts. That was after gaining our all pro linebacker who sat out last season, yet another excuse I heard as to why the group was so bad in 2020. 

I think people were too kind on Douglas last season. I don't think there's ever an excuse for a franchise being that bad. The closest you could get is the Houston situation where you've built your franchise around a QB who you're paying not to play. They went all in for a Superbowl and missed. The excuse I heard for 2020 from 90% of Jets fans was Adam Gase, which has turned out to be complete horsesh*t. The team is bereft of talent, it has less talent now than when Douglas inherited this group in 2019. It's his roster that is bottoming out the point differentials for the second year in a row. It's disgraceful and the fact that anyone's acting like this was the plan is sheer delusion. We're so far away from being competitive that it's ridiculous.

Cant argue with the first part.  Zach has been horrendous and that hurts but I find solace in knowing, it's on the QB.  In the years past, the Jets were winless and terrible when Darnold went out.  Not the case now, it's 100% on Zach and I'm of mind there is no way they're going into next season without competition, but I could be wrong but would find it hard to believe they're that stupid.  QB, IMO, is the biggest problem on the team.  Which sucks but there actually might be legitimate options to bring in next year to compete. 

Disagree wholeheartedly the team is not better than last year.  It absolutely is.  The fact that your best players are all 1-3 years into their career alone is a huge steep in the right direction.  OL, RB, WR, CB are all better than they were last year.  The biggest factor in showing improvement is, when the Jets win Sunday, they will have doubled their win total from last year.   It's reasonable to assume that all of those players will be better next year with more experience and their 2nd year in a new system.  And, let's be real, with better QB play, the Jets easily win 3-4 more games this year. 

They're not far from being competitive at all.  One more good draft, better QB play, some folks getting healthy, and this team around .500 in the wild card mix next season.

10 minutes ago, slats said:

The Cards still employ the GM who drafted Josh Rosen. 

You comparing Joe Douglas' track record right now (5-25)  with Steve Keim's at the end of the 2018 season?

Steve Keim's record before drafting Kyler Murray in the 2019 NFL Draft, which is from 2013 through 2018 season: Regular Season 52-43-1, Playoffs 1-2. Went to NFC Championship game in 2015. 

Advantage Keim

54 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Jets defense gave up

Notice a pattern?

Cool.  Well with all that wonderful data they're a whopping 1.8 points per game worse on D.  Yet, they're not getting blown out by double digits at anywhere near same rate as last year and not being held to less than 10 points every other game like they were last year.  And the reason for all that is because they are better than last year.

47 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

We will never agree. 

That's what you took out of that.

Well done.  

We will never agree because you don't understand what any of us are saying.  Just keep b*tching and whining, it seems to be working out for you.  

4 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

We will never agree. 

Or maybe, some of just understand that no matter how hard we close our eyes and wish for winning, we have no control and dealing in reality seems a little easier on the constitution than believing everything sucks and is never going to get better despite, things getting better.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

Or maybe, some of just understand that no matter how hard we close our eyes and wish for winning, we have no control and dealing in reality seems a little easier on the constitution than believing everything suck and is never going to get better despite, things getting better.

The problem is, the root cause of losing, us fans aren't cheering loud enough from our living rooms, aren't pissed off enough on a fan forum message board.

WE MUST SHOUT LOUDER or the losing will just continue.  

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

In 2020 the Jets had the worst MOV in the league at -13.4. 

With 3 games left in the 2021 season the Jets again own the worst MOV in the league at -12.7. It's going to probably go up to around last seasons negative MOV with the last two games vs the Buccaneers and Bills. 

Soooo, they're getting better?  ;-).

3 games really skew that number.  Week to week, the Jets are considerably more competitive and better than they were last year. When they win Sunday, they will have double their win total.

But, I did preface some those things could change by the end of the year in my original post. 

11 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

That's what you took out of that.

Well done.  

We will never agree because you don't understand what any of us are saying.  Just keep b*tching and whining, it seems to be working out for you.  

I'll see you in the Joe Douglas has been fired thread in 1-2 years.

How is the blind hope and delusion working out for you so far?

9 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Or maybe, some of just understand that no matter how hard we close our eyes and wish for winning, we have no control and dealing in reality seems a little easier on the constitution than believing everything suck and is never going to get better despite, things getting better.

The reality is the jets are one of the worst teams in the league with almost no talent.

3 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

The reality is the jets are one of the worst teams in the league with almost no talent.

Yep!  No doubt!  This was to be expected. 

The reality I tend to focus on is, the talent they do have is young and this wont be the Jets roster forever.  They can acquire more talent and pretty sure they're in good position to do so with 4 picks in the top 40, 2 being in the top 10 and 50k in cap space.

So OP wants the franchise to be perpetually myopic (essentially to repeat 2015 as often as possible) so season ticket holders feel better about themselves? The irony of it all is that doing what OP asked is exactly what got us into this position. 

You think restarting this process next year (say JD and Saleh are fired in a few weeks) improves anything? You think guys should get less than a full season to prove themselves? The best part of all of this is the hypothetical roster transactions to build this "improve the team immediately, damn it" dream. 20/20 hindsight on draft picks and FAs, assuming top FAs who in their right mind want no part of coming to the Jets would magically come here.

My old man had season tickets from '84 until the PSL garbage started. Personally, I think people are out of their mind to pay the price tag for a PSL and season tickets for any football team so I understand why season ticket holders are upset. Paying thousands of dollars for the privilege to be miserable isn't good for anyone's mental health but your immediate happiness doesn't dictate front office/personnel decisions. I attended 100+ games during the 80s through the 00s but I wouldn't go to another Jets game even if I were given free tickets, save a playoff game. Give me a 70" HDTV and the comfort of my own home. If the team stinks it's no skin off my back.