2 Questions for the Jets fans who want tank the rest of the season

DoomProphet

I haven't had a chance to pay attention to next year's draft so I'm going to defer to you guys. I wanna know is really that big a difference between Hutchinson & Thibodeaux and the next few picks?

I just think if we lose to Jacksonville it will be a DISASTERm after the epic dumpster fire their season has been with Urban Meyer at the helm.

Is it worth it to go through the humilation of that to get one of the first 2 picks?

Let me know. Thanks guys. Happy Holidays to all of you!

9 minutes ago, DoomProphet said:

I haven't had a chance to pay attention to next year's draft so I'm going to defer to you guys. I wanna know is really that big a difference between Hutchinson & Thibodeaux and the next few picks?

I just think if we lose to Jacksonville it will be a DISASTERm after the epic dumpster fire their season has been with Urban Meyer at the helm.

Is it worth it to go through the humilation of that to get one of the first 2 picks?

Let me know. Thanks guys. Happy Holidays to all of you!

I don’t think it is. Team needs wins. Zach needs a confidence boost. The fans need SOMETHING to feel good about. 
Jacksonville doesn’t need a pass rusher. They’ll draft one anyways, but they should trade down if they have the number one  pick. 

• Upvote 4

Hutch = High Floor & High Ceiling

Thib = Lower Floor & Higher Ceiling

Karlaftis is really good, heard people mention arm length when discussing him but can't confirm it's an issue

Ojabo would be my 3rd Edge I'd look at because of his knack for strip sacks.

Ideally landing Hutch/Thib/Ojabo + Hamilton should add some major turnover potential to this defense.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Karlaftis is really good, heard people mention arm length when discussing him but can't confirm it's an issue

Ideally landing Hutch/Thib/Ojabo + Hamilton should add some major turnover potential to this defense.

Does Gholsten come to mind?

23 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Not how I would approach the draft. I can see taking one of the EDGE guys if he is BAP at like 2 or 3 but we have far greater needs than EDGE, and I would still prioritize top picks for offense. We have a ton of picks we can shore up the line, S, and especially LB. Zero chance I take a safety super high. Absolutely none. The only way you get value from a safety that high is if he turns out to be Ed Reed 2.0 and that is like super unlikely.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

As messy as the O has been this year, it is easier to spot progress in the O’s performance.  The OL for instance has steadily improved.  There are a bunch of guys who will be available day 1-2 who can continue that unit’s progress.

That is less true for the D. Saleh’s schemes depend on a strong edge rush. By getting a top line DE, the Jets can jump start their D. The way this draft seems to lay out, the Jets best chance to make a significant step up in quality is to land one of the DEs.  A stronger edge makes Q that much more effective.

Can the Jets get there without the talkathon?  Sure.  It’s just harder.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Teams and players have to learn how to win.   
The good teams from the great ones are separated by tight margins. The teams that understand how to and find ways to win are the ones that win Super Bowls. 
You have to start winning.  It’s not meaningless.  It’s meaningful to start to understand how to win.  

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Not how I would approach the draft. I can see taking one of the EDGE guys if he is BAP at like 2 or 3 but we have far greater needs than EDGE, and I would still prioritize top picks for offense. We have a ton of picks we can shore up the line, S, and especially LB. Zero chance I take a safety super high. Absolutely none. The only way you get value from a safety that high is if he turns out to be Ed Reed 2.0 and that is like super unlikely.

So you’re saying Jamal Adams over Mahommes wasn’t ideal????

• Haha 2

This draft class is pretty meh at this early stage, who knows

Imagine last years draft, we would be deciding between Kyle Pitts and Jamar Chase.  But we HAD to take the QB last year, glad we did because I can’t imagine how much worse I’d be feeling if we had kept Sam Darnold and were looking at the QB’s in this draft as saviors. 

Im sure a lot of this draft class will hit.  Just really no blue chippers outside of the top 2 Edge.  Stingley could be another Jalen Ramsey but has question marks. But as of now he’d be my third preference.  Maybe Evan Neal.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, David Harris said:

This draft class is pretty meh at this early stage, who knows

Imagine last years draft, we would be deciding between Kyle Pitts and Jamar Chase.  But we HAD to take the QB last year, glad we did because I can’t imagine how much worse I’d be feeling if we had kept Sam Darnold and were looking at the QB’s in this draft as saviors. 

Im sure a lot of this draft class will hit.  Just really no blue chippers outside of the top 2 Edge.  Stingley could be another Jalen Ramsey but has question marks. But as of now he’d be my third preference.  Maybe Evan Neal.

Last years first round is shaping up to be incredible. Worst possible time to be QB needy it seems. Every other position is producing stars. Sewell and Slater look like HOF’ers in the making. So do Chase and Pitts. It’s ridiculous.

The year before we chose Becton with Wirfs and Lamb on the board too, although I’m pretty sure Ruggs was the highest WR on our board so maybe Becton isn’t too bad by comparison.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I would have said, like Mark Cannizaro, that the Jets to win the Toilet Bowl to show progress.  

But with 1/3 of the roster on the Covid list, who cares?  This game means nothing.  Losing and getting a better draft pick is the better course.  

I had the same conversation at work today.  What were we thinking reading about this thing spreading and travelling, going to office parties, etc.  

The NFL should have locked down.  These guys are going out and about.  They are going to get sick.  it is everywhere. 

This game is going to be a complete mess.  They should postpone it. But it does matter if the Jets win.  I think its better that they lose.

What matters is that the Jets are competitve in 2022.  If they are not, they need a reboot.   

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I disagree, Lawson's torn Achilles is a serious question mark, that generally means a loss of burst. We've already lost Vinny Curry. I would say Edge, is a big need and provides the most value with the 4th pick.  I'd probably rank Hamilton, Linderbaum, Williams and Stingley as my next 4 picks. I'm definitely not against offense, I just think the 2nd best Center grabbed in the 2nd round is a better value than the drop off at the Safety position after Hamilton. Without considering retaining our own FAs like Berrios, LDT, and Moses there are a few offensive guys I like.

Free Agency

WR -  Michael Gallup

WR -  Amari Cooper (if cut so they can retain Gallup)

WR - Allen Robinson

WR - Mike Williams

- I don't think he'll spend top end money on WR

TE - Mike Gesicki (if not tagged)

TE - David Njoku

TE - Zach Ertz

TE - OJ Howard

G - Brandon Scherff

G - Laken Tomlinson

G - Connor Williams

5 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

All I heard last season from the anti-tank crowd was the same mantra as in your post.  "If the Jets don't win a game or two, it will be a disaster". "The team needs some wins to avoid humiliation". "We need to start a winning culture". Tell me, what did the two wins last season mean for this season vs an 0-16 season?  It appears that both edge rushers that are likely to be picked 1-2 in the 2022 draft are potential All-Pro players and they play a position of tremendous need for the Jets.  Isn't it better to lose a game in December that nobody will remember a month or 2 weeks after to get a shot at these players than to win a meaningless game that nobody remembers  a week or two later. Tell me, how much did the win at Houston earlier this season make the team better now or next season?  

Have you seen who is picking?

What the hell are you waiting for, then? Hire him already': How Jets GM Joe  Douglas has impressed at every stop of his career – The Athletic

We are screwed.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, varjet said:

I would have said, like Mark Cannizaro, that the Jets to win the Toilet Bowl to show progress.  

But with 1/3 of the roster on the Covid list, who cares?  This game means nothing.  Losing and getting a better draft pick is the better course.  

I had the same conversation at work today.  What were we thinking reading about this thing spreading and travelling, going to office parties, etc.  

The NFL should have locked down.  These guys are going out and about.  They are going to get sick.  it is everywhere. 

This game is going to be a complete mess.  They should postpone it. But it does matter if the Jets win.  I think its better that they lose.

What matters is that the Jets are competitve in 2022.  If they are not, they need a reboot.   

I'm tired of re "boots or builds".  This team should be winners next year or contracted.  Get back to 28.

Gone;

Jets

Jaguars

Lions

Falcons

End it.

32 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I disagree, Lawson's torn Achilles is a serious question mark, that generally means a loss of burst. We've already lost Vinny Curry. I would say Edge, is a big need and provides the most value with the 4th pick.  I'd probably rank Hamilton, Linderbaum, Williams and Stingley as my next 4 picks. I'm definitely not against offense, I just think the 2nd best Center grabbed in the 2nd round is a better value than the drop off at the Safety position after Hamilton. Without considering retaining our own FAs like Berrios, LDT, and Moses there are a few offensive guys I like.

Free Agency

WR -  Michael Gallup

WR - Allen Robinson

WR - Mike Williams

TE - David Njoku

TE - Zach Ertz

TE - OJ Howard

G - Brandon Scherff

G - Laken Tomlinson

G - Connor Williams

Well I did say if we pick really high that we likely go edge with our initial first rounder. However after that I am not specifically targeting defense, and I am not taking a CB or S in the Top 15.

I would roughly rate our needs:

First two rounds after first pick: OT,WR, TE, IOL,  LB, NT, EDGE

And then after I would add S RB CB

I would not necessarily reach for anyone because of priority and very open to trading down and getting more 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders.

I'm all for losing out, because draft picks can actually make a tangible difference on the team next year.  

They aren't huddling up next year on 3rd and 7 against the Pats in the 4th quarter going "Hey, remember that win against Trevor Lawrence?  Let's pretend like these guys are the JAGS! Urban Sucks on 3.....1..2..3.."

Every draft class has great studs, be it in the first, second, or later rounds.  The idea is the higher the pick, the better the chance we have of actually drafting the guy.  Even if we buy into the theory that this draft is loaded at whatever position, it still serves us better to have the higher pick because then the option of trading down presents itself, where we still maintain the ability to pick from the deeper pool, but gain more assets.  

I'm not going to care about a win against the useless Jags or any other team past Sunday because we're playing for nothing at this point.  

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

All I heard last season from the anti-tank crowd was the same mantra as in your post.  "If the Jets don't win a game or two, it will be a disaster". "The team needs some wins to avoid humiliation". "We need to start a winning culture". Tell me, what did the two wins last season mean for this season vs an 0-16 season?  It appears that both edge rushers that are likely to be picked 1-2 in the 2022 draft are potential All-Pro players and they play a position of tremendous need for the Jets.  Isn't it better to lose a game in December that nobody will remember a month or 2 weeks after to get a shot at these players than to win a meaningless game that nobody remembers  a week or two later. Tell me, how much did the win at Houston earlier this season make the team better now or next season?  

Players don't tank.  Coaches don't tank.  End of story.  Everyone should let this narrative go. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Free Agency

WR -  Michael Gallup

WR - Allen Robinson

WR - Mike Williams

TE - David Njoku

TE - Zach Ertz

TE - OJ Howard

G - Brandon Scherff

G - Laken Tomlinson

G - Connor Williams

not a bad list.  i'm all for edge and/or wr in the first round.  i also wouldn't discount getting an offensive tackle/center with one of the higher picks.  safety?  if there's a polumalo or ed reed then certainly.  lb and te should be addressed as well. and i also wouldn't be averse to trading back with one of the top picks to get additional picks this and next year.  in short there are still many spots that need to filled or upgraded but with 4 picks in the first two rounds they should be able to find some really good players.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

There are so many good edges in this draft.  Every article I read mentions another good edge I’ve never heard of.  

This year they throw the word explosive around like the draft is a room full of babies on an applesauce diet    I hope the combine doesn’t get cancelled   

Completely agree.  

39239332-FA12-43BD-9BBA-895652A680AF.jpeg