2 Questions for the Jets fans who want tank the rest of the season

DoomProphet

4 hours ago, Copernicus said:

Yeah, I see the guy who traded THREE players (Adams, Darnald, Williams) with zero worth to us (and the whole league knew it) because we were never going to resign them for TWO first rounders, a second, third , fourth and fifth

I also see a guy who drafted players who are mostly improving 

A guy who drafted a secondary that has totally out played their draft positions in Hall, Carter, Guidry, and Echols 

A guy who picked off others practice squads and look to be a part of our future in Braxton Berrios, Quincey Williams and Elijah Riley

Developed UDFAs Huff and Lamar Jackson

Guess you're not happy with Michael Carter (Rb), Alijah Moore, and AVT?

Or trading Daniel Brown for our current starting RG? (then getting Daniel Brown back)

And yes, a QB who has played well enough to be rookie of the week twice and over the last 6 games has dramatically reduced his INTs and leads (or 2nd) in all rookie QBs in major categories like Tds and yards.

Yeah, we are so screwed

This sounds really good up until the moment you realize that all of that has translated into 3 wins.

20 hours ago, DoomProphet said:

I haven't had a chance to pay attention to next year's draft so I'm going to defer to you guys. I wanna know is really that big a difference between Hutchinson & Thibodeaux and the next few picks?

I just think if we lose to Jacksonville it will be a DISASTERm after the epic dumpster fire their season has been with Urban Meyer at the helm.

Is it worth it to go through the humilation of that to get one of the first 2 picks?

Let me know. Thanks guys. Happy Holidays to all of you!

Agree Yes Siree Bob GIF - Agree Yes Siree Bob Yes - Discover & Share GIFs

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ZachEY said:

If this were true, how come after we had those late meaningful wins in prior seasons that cost us draft position, we didn't see any noticeable improvement in the team the following year?  They still sucked the following season, despite learning how to win.

This team is completely different than last year's team.

New HC, new OC, new DC, new systems, New QB, new WR's, new RB's, new CB's, new LB's...I think you could see my point here.  

3 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Having a quarterback drafted 2 overall not look like a turd is also meaningful.

Congratulations on ruining another thread by with such eloquence.

There are countless Zach Wilson sucks threads - you should stick to those, I'm sure those threads can use your poetic writing style.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

Really don’t think there’s an offensive guy worthy of a top five pick, or one that would be a better value or fill a bigger need than an Edge. This defense needs edge rushers to operate, the Jets have none until Carl Lawson proves otherwise. And I don’t think the Jets can afford to count on that in 2022. 

I think the first pick is EDGE if we get one of the Top 2. Past that not something  I target

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Congratulations on ruining another thread by with such eloquence.

There are countless Zach Wilson sucks threads - you should stick to those, I'm sure those threads can use your poetic writing style.

It’s like when Google had an internal slogan, “don’t be evil.”  You knew they’re were going to start the robot apocalypse some day.  

Calling a kid a bust his first scrimmage and booing him his first two home games means he’s going to hit.  So in 20 years when some kid boots a ball at shortstop to let the winning run in his dad can say, “they booed Zach Wilson his first game son.   CRAP! ROBOTS WITH GUNS!  RUN!!!” 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This team is completely different than last year's team.

New HC, new OC, new DC, new systems, New QB, new WR's, new RB's, new CB's, new LB's...I think you could see my point here.  

My point has nothing to do with this specific year.  For as long as I've been on these boards, people have said exactly what you've said, and in many circumstances, we've gotten those late season wins when we've been long out of the playoffs.  I've yet to see any tangible evidence that we've improved the following year based on "learning to win."

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Bang on brother.  Even the 'best QB in decades' savior Trevor Lawrence hasn't done much.  Its almost like rookie QB's are served best by sitting for a year or two.  

I want players and coaches who, even though they know the team sucks currently, go out and give it their all.  If you want players to go out and suck on purpose so they can get the next 'saviour' the following draft, then I would suggest you give up cheering for a sports team.

I agree 1000%.  Prospects are just that.  We think we need to tank to get a player and then some other player, ranked behind a stud turns out to be the years best.  Ive seen it so many times.  I always remember everyone killing Herm and the Jets for beating Oakland I think and costing us a chance at the next greatest offensive threat, a combo of Barry Sanders and Gale Sayers, the great....Reggie Bush.  

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Unless the "we're done here" attitude on a message board is shared by the FO regarding Becton, I don't think they're touching OL in round 1 for a 3rd year in a row. Only way I could imagine is if they trade up from round 2 to add a third pick in round 1 (which itself would probably have to follow trading down from the higher or both original round 1 picks). 

I'm still expecting either:

1. a veteran RT signing/re-signing in the $5MM range, in case of another extended OT starter injury, plus an iOL pick on day 2
  2. an 8-figure G/C veteran and a round 3-4 prospect to groom for the future at C or RT

Plus maybe another $2-3MM iOL veteran if they want to swap out Feeney.

Round 1...

Hard to say without knowing what they do or don't do in FA first, but swapping in S for OL and I'd tend to agree with you on the non-edge possibilities.

If they trade down into the latter half of the round, I could also see TE, but I say this not knowing which if any '22 prospects will be ranked that highly. 

I don't think Becton is done at all. I am not adverse in getting a OL in the 1st round. I believe either Neal, Ikem or Cross would make a nice addition to this line. While all the pundits love Hamilton, he doesn't move the needle for me. Dean out of Georgia would help out in the front 7, along with whoever they take at edge. A 1st round or either Karlaftis, Thib and Hutchinson plus Dean solidifies the front 7. Wilson gives the Jets a true #1 receiver. The Jets have some options, they are in a prime position at #4 to get the player that wows them and get the player that falls for whatever reason.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Claymation said:

I don't think Becton is done at all. I am not adverse in getting a OL in the 1st round. I believe either Neal, Ikem or Cross would make a nice addition to this line. While all the pundits love Hamilton, he doesn't move the needle for me. Dean out of Georgia would help out in the front 7, along with whoever they take at edge. A 1st round or either Karlaftis, Thib and Hutchinson plus Dean solidifies the front 7. Wilson gives the Jets a true #1 receiver. The Jets have some options, they are in a prime position at #4 to get the player that wows them and get the player that falls for whatever reason.

Neither do I. I think it's recency bias. I'm not saying I'm not totally sympathetic, nor that they should go in with a T depth chart of Fant & Becton plus just Edoga/McDermott-level backups, but he's still a top talent. Wirfs has been way, way better & more reliable; ok, what's done is done.

While I'd never say never - depends who's there and in what slot (and what they do or don't do in FA) - I don't see them going OL in round 1 again with so many greater needs and filling iOL really never being a round 1 requirement. LTs? Sure they tend to go in round 1, and often in the top half of the round at that, and teams very frequently feel they must burn a 1 on the position. But the rest (center in particular)? Of course not; let alone in the top half of round 1, which no team has done since...ever, so far as I can tell.

They've arguably got half a starting team of more pressing needs. Frankly if the team's TE and/or RB are going to outright ignore free rushers it won't matter if all 5 on the OL are all pros. 

I can't comment on the individual players you've listed, beyond just looking up and then regurgitating what others think, so I'll take your word for it that they're top prospects. But again, unless they've totally and completely given up on Becton they're not drafting an OT in the first round. And I mean completely. It's yea or nay on him; they won't have some confidence in him but aren't 100% sure so they therefore take a round 1 OT to make up for that concern. No way. Sign a veteran at $5MM (maybe even a drop more) for the year to fill that just-in-case OT role. Not a 1st round pick. Not with this sorry-ass starting defense and almost half a starting team of more pressing needs.

It's good that there's a handful of 1st round OT prospects (plus probably a few QBs). That means that many more non-OT/QB prospects reaching our 2nd round pick(s), or reaching us later in round 1 if we trade down. 

On 12/23/2021 at 1:51 PM, ZachEY said:

This sounds really good up until the moment you realize that all of that has translated into 3 wins.

Of all the basement to your teams that we are a part of , The Texans , The Jaguars , The Lions , The Bears , We are on the cusp of separating ourselves from them . We played both the Texans and Jaguars and beat them. We also beat two pretty good teams in the  Titans and the Bengals . You have to crawl before you walk . I would argue that the Jets are crawling and struggling to stand whle the other teams are barely crawling. 

• Upvote 1