Tight End Class

JazzyJet

One guy who seems to be going under the radar is James Mitchell. He seems like a great dual threat TE (blocking and receiving) he was injured very early in the season with a torn acl which will hurt his draft stock. 6’3 250 who declared for the draft a few weeks ago He’s a late round sleeper I’d be interested in. 

So I got bored and started looking into the mid - later round guys. Here’s a few that peaked my interest. 

Cole Turner - Nevada

He switched from wr to te recently and gained 35 lbs quickly to fit the role. He’s been shedding some of the excess fat and is trying to gain more muscle. He’s a beast in the red zone and has good hands. He’s blocking isn’t great yet, but that’s expected transitioning from wr. He’ll be a project that needs a year or 2 to develop, but I can see him being very good eventually. 

James Mitchell - Virginia Tech

Mitchell is a good athlete and has some solid receiving skills. He’s a decent blocker too. He hasn’t had a ton of production yet, but was probably going to have a big season this year, but he got injured early on. I can see him being a starter early on. 

Josh Whyle - Cincinnati 

Whyle at this point is basically a big receiver. He has great speed and quickness. His catch radius is insane. His blocking can use a ton of work. If he declares he’ll probably go first out of these guys in round 3.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe i'm seeing Tre McBride slide into R1 convos.... i mean i can totally believe it, but i can't. Ugh

I'm just about done WRs, and getting ready to sink my teeth in the best TE draft class I can recall in a long... long time. 

The top 4 are just *chef's kiss*

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, Paradis said:

I can't believe i'm seeing Tre McBride slide into R1 convos.... i mean i can totally believe it, but i can't. Ugh

I'm just about done WRs, and getting ready to sink my teeth in the best TE draft class I can recall in a long... long time. 

Well needed after last year's crap-fest after Pitts and Friermuth. It's like everyone is 6'5 and can catch and block this year to varying degrees. Even the mid-round guys are going to be NFL caliber role-players. A receiving TE that can block would just make such a big difference to the offense.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Just an FYI…..Sam LaPorta is staying in school.   

Iowa got some special water or something, huh. Makes some sense though, he's going to be overshined by the rest of this TE class, he could probably try his luck next year.

Haven't seen any word on Linderbaum, who I'd be disappointed if he goes back to school because the center class becomes gross from there in terms of high-end talent.

On 1/12/2022 at 10:41 PM, Paradis said:

Which four?

Ive seen some love for Wydermeyer, how’s he stack up with McBride?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, David Harris said:

Which four?

Ive seen some love for Wydermeyer, how’s he stack up with McBride?

I think others are higher on Kolar and Otton and others but for me, Wyder, McBride, Isiah Likely and Jeremy Ruckert are 4 lights out TE prospects. I’m gonna go deep on them soon. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

I think others are higher on Kolar and Otton and others but for me, Wyder, McBride, Isiah Likely and Jeremy Ruckert are 4 lights out TE prospects. I’m gonna go deep on them soon. 

Cade Otton is the least dynamic player to be called dynamic I’ve seen in this draft. Kolar is an unathletic F- tight end, that’s a bad combo.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Cade Otton is the least dynamic player to be called dynamic I’ve seen in this draft. Kolar is an unathletic F- tight end, that’s a bad combo.

Agreed on both, plus Kolar is an ineffective blocker and his receiving skills don't compensate enough for that deficiency. Too many good TE prospects in this draft to go for those two over others.

On 12/29/2021 at 5:37 PM, RedBeardedSavage said:

CJ Uzomah in free agency.

Jeremy Ruckert in the draft.

I'd be onboard with that big time.

Either Shultz or Uzomah in FA, and then either McBride, Wydermyer or Ruckert in the Draft.

Griffin still under contract for next year immediately goes to TE3 from being our TE1 the past two years.

Shultz, McBride, Griffin with Cager transitioned to TE on the Practice Squad?  Not bad.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Paradis said:

*Loosens belt*

73E68744-7B50-4ED9-884A-17C06BC59A20.png

best part of the senior bowl coaching assignment.  This team gets to look at all these guys upclose and personal.  

We've been on the Ruckert train for over a year now, and hopefully his stock doesnt get so so high at the senior bowl that we can grab him, as I think thats going to end up being the case with mcbride. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

best part of the senior bowl coaching assignment.  This team gets to look at all these guys upclose and personal.  

We've been on the Ruckert train for over a year now, and hopefully his stock doesnt get so so high at the senior bowl that we can grab him, as I think thats going to end up being the case with mcbride. 

It will be interesting to see how high his stock rises because athletically he’s not the most dynamic for the position.  I remember him coming out of high school and he was 6’5” 230 but running in the high 4.8’s.  Since then he’s put on 20 pounds at OSU and probably looks like he’s running in same range.   He’s most likely a solid late day 2 early day 3 guy.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

It will be interesting to see how high his stock rises because athletically he’s not the most dynamic for the position.  I remember him coming out of high school and he was 6’5” 230 but running in the high 4.8’s.  Since then he’s put on 20 pounds at OSU and probably looks like he’s running in same range.   He’s most likely a solid late day 2 early day 3 guy.  

And I’m ok with that. He doesn’t need to be Kyle Pitts. I didn’t fall in love him because he was doing his best Jimmy Graham or Hernandez impression. I think he’s an all around Freiermuth type who will be a better pro than the OhSt offense suggested. We’ll still need nab a F guy.  If I had my way we’d take Isaiah Likely too. 

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

And I’m ok with that. He doesn’t need to be Kyle Pitts. I didn’t fall in love him because he was doing his best Jimmy Graham or Hernandez impression. I think he’s an all around Freiermuth type who will be a better pro than the OhSt offense suggested. We’ll still need nab a F guy.  If I had my way we’d take Isaiah Likely too. 

Agreed.   Ruckert is the guy who will do the dirty work in this receiving group.  Make contested catches with guys hanging off of him, be the much needed red zone target and chain mover.   

• Sympathy 1

• 1 month later...

No feel for how he blocks or is in contested situations (so the important stuff) but stumbled upon Gerrit Prince today. Yards per route run are pretty impressive, lots of YPC for a TE. He looks like he can move. Think he gets some buzz after he runs tomorrow.