Draft Offense Draft Defense Which way do we turn?

Maynard13

So both sides of the ball are in dire need of being upgraded.

Defense - Our run defense is deplorable as is our pass rush. Losing Lawson was a dagger in the heart to this defense.  The secondary was no bright light either but it would have been better with a forceable pass rush.  The LB's are abysmal which just makes the DL look even worse than they are.  Mosley has fallen off the face of the earth. And thats the positive side of the LB's. Cashman hurt again. Suprise Suprise Suprise. As was the other FA we signed who I cant even remember his name because (Davis?) - did he even play a game?  QW played well but at best was not very consistent. He's a good depth piece.  

The Offense - Where do we begin?  The OL again was a huge dissapointment. Better but still lacking.  C, G, RT are desperately needed in upgrades. WR's.  Moore looks like a star in the making. Me Like.  Berrios has been a Chrebet like clone (kinda). Great job and a must resign. Davis has been an abysmal failure. Lets leave it at that.  Mims ughh. Doubt he's back next year.  There's only so much rope anyone is given regardless of potential.  This is an area that MUST be addressed.  RB - Carter looks good BUT he is by no means a rb that can carry the load. He is no Marshall Falk, Barry  Sanders, LT etc. Jets need to find that type of RB ( Walker, Spiller, Reese in round 2)  A RB like this will immediately take the pressure off Zach.  I know its using a high pick on a RB BUT when was the last time we had a runner like this? Freeman McNeil? Thats ages ago.  TE's -       . Exactly. Vacant. 

Ok so where do the resourses go from the draft and FA cash?  Many want to focus on offense. Many want strictly defense.  Neither approach is wrong. BUT I would prefer to focus on both equally and zero in on positions that are of dire most need.  Start with the draft.  We need a pass rush. Lawson will be back, Hoorary! Combine him with Thib or Hutch and we have a nice duo.  Hopefully we get one or the other with out 1st pick.  2nd 1st rounder - trade back and get a 2nd rounder. Not to far back and take Linderboom.  Best center in ages to come out. Protecting Zach is paramount.  Round 2 - three picks!  RB Walker ( dude is electric), LB Brandon Smith (fast lb flying all over. Perfect for Saleh defense.) S Brandon Joseph - heady safety who's a ball hawk.  On to round 3 pick 68. Not messing around here and taking TE McBride whgich is the TE I want. He's projected to go around 83 BUT not taking a chance and take him at 68. Reminds me of Kelce. Round 4 - Picks 109 and 121. Trading 109 and add a draft pick next year  to grab LB Chad Muma.  He's an ole skoll LB in the mold of Zach Thomas, Bob Crable. Love this guy. Pick 121 John Ridgeway 6'6 320 DT. BEAST Stick him next to QW.  Pick 146 Cade Mays G - can play all over OL.  Great depth piece. Pick 159 Tyler Smith OT 6'6 320 SLEEPER.  DONE.

FA - Sign TE Schulz, G Schreff, WR Allen Robinson, CB JC Jackson, resign Fant, Moses

Undrafted - WR Christian Watson ND State - Fb Zander Horvath OL Aaron Frost 

This is the draft JD MUST hit on. Its the draft to transform this roster. He has the picks, he has the cash. 

There's a lot here. Its early. lol. 

Having said that, this would be quite the Jet fan wet dream. 

I'm not going to comment on potential draft day trades or FA moves. Too many variables there. I just know that the Jets are once again going into this draft with needs at premium positions. They have 2 top 10 draft picks and will be drafting BPA. My guess is they will be targeting one of the top 2 Edge rushers or E. Neal. If all three are gone, it puts the Jets in a tough spot and we may see a selection Jet fans hate like Hamilton or Karlaftis or even Stingley (barring a trade down, which I said I am not speculating on). 

At the Seattle pick its much of the same. If the Jets take Neal early I think they target a top Edge rusher. Ojabo comes to mind. I think his stock will skyrocket after the combine. Maybe Karlaftis will still be there? Who knows. If the Jets get their pass rusher early, they will look for an O-lineman like Green or Ekwonu, maybe even Linderbaum? Theres also the potential that a guy like Hamilton slides and the Jets simply can't pass up on him and we end up going ALL defense in Rd. 1 or no pass rusher. That would also not surprise me. 

I think its tough to predict what the Jets will do in Rd. 2. We all know they need S, TE, LB, WR and CB. RB to a lesser degree. But it will depend on what happens in FA and who is available. If I was them I'd take one of the top TEs like McBride or Wydermyer and a top LB like Dean, Brandon Smith or Harris.  

Best Case Scenario, IMO:

1a. Hutchinson 1b. Ekwonu 2a. Dean 2b. Wydermyer. 

• Upvote 1

Both sides of the ball are really bad. I think what the defense needs is mostly immediate impact guys at non premium positions - linebacker, safety. To me that screams a defense heavy free agency - maybe in number of positions but definitely in dollars. Better than spending day one/two picks on less premium positions when they also need help at more premium positions - and sometimes the rookies aren’t ready anyway as we’ve seen. Edge rush is also an issue - it’s a great pass rusher class and it’s easier to draft those guys than find them in free agency, so that should definitely be addressed via the draft.

Offensively in FA I lean that Douglas brings in someone to play right guard, some tight end help, and a Keelan Cole level WR on a one year deal. Starting guard and some guys who have a shot to play but also could get replaced by draft picks. Then in the draft improve pass catchers and be opportunistic about the OL. I think also a mid round QB happens.

More or less I think both need a lot of work but I’d think free agency is a little more defense and draft is a little more offense.

• Upvote 1

I've done these mix match type of mock off seasons in the past. Honestly, there is no position on this team that can't use an upgrade. There is no elite or near elite unit on the team. I don't care whether it is on offense or defense, the Jets need to grab 2 elite players with their top 10 picks. Difference makers.  

• Upvote 1

Saleh's defensive approach stresses rushing the passer.  I think we're going to be picking at #2, lesser possibility at #1.  Regardless, that gives us the opportunity to grab Thibouex or Hutch.  While we already have JFM and Lawson coming back to man the edge positions, you cant pass up either of these two guys up and JD wont if they are available.  We will know more tomorrow LOL.  That 2nd 1st rounder is the tricky one. A trade back is possible if Seahwaks lose out and stay in top 10.  If the pick falls back to around 14-16, then it would be harder to trade back and you just grab either Linderboom or Devin Lloyd.  The Iowa center would be my number 1 choice, in fact, he'd be my target from 12-16 and I wouldnt trade back further than that.  We have so many positions that need to be upgraded or just flat out need to be filled. Thats bad. But the good is that we have a lot of picks and FA cash to spend which gives JD space to juggle things to his liking.  Its going to be very intertesting and unlike the previous 2 drafts JD conducted.

If you believe that it is possible to "ruin" a young QB by putting them in a system with no real help then I think you have to focus on offense.  Pick up a pass rusher with the first pick especially if we end up top 2, but then the next 3 picks I think you go offense.

Just as a small example Allen's breakout year came when the Bills went on picked up Stefon Diggs.  Not necessarily causation, but I think if you want your young QB to truly breakout you need to make sure the offense around him is good.  I really would like some more big pieces on the OL, and a star WR/TE combo and a solid bruiser RB with hands.  Once you lay the foundation for a truly great offense, it'll be easier to pick up more talent in FA who want to come play in it.

I would much rather have a top 10 offense and the 25th ranked defense than 18th and 18th.

On 12/23/2021 at 12:52 PM, Maynard13 said:

So both sides of the ball are in dire need of being upgraded.

Defense - Our run defense is deplorable as is our pass rush. Losing Lawson was a dagger in the heart to this defense.  The secondary was no bright light either but it would have been better with a forceable pass rush.  The LB's are abysmal which just makes the DL look even worse than they are.  Mosley has fallen off the face of the earth. And thats the positive side of the LB's. Cashman hurt again. Suprise Suprise Suprise. As was the other FA we signed who I cant even remember his name because (Davis?) - did he even play a game?  QW played well but at best was not very consistent. He's a good depth piece.  

The Offense - Where do we begin?  The OL again was a huge dissapointment. Better but still lacking.  C, G, RT are desperately needed in upgrades. WR's.  Moore looks like a star in the making. Me Like.  Berrios has been a Chrebet like clone (kinda). Great job and a must resign. Davis has been an abysmal failure. Lets leave it at that.  Mims ughh. Doubt he's back next year.  There's only so much rope anyone is given regardless of potential.  This is an area that MUST be addressed.  RB - Carter looks good BUT he is by no means a rb that can carry the load. He is no Marshall Falk, Barry  Sanders, LT etc. Jets need to find that type of RB ( Walker, Spiller, Reese in round 2)  A RB like this will immediately take the pressure off Zach.  I know its using a high pick on a RB BUT when was the last time we had a runner like this? Freeman McNeil? Thats ages ago.  TE's -       . Exactly. Vacant. 

Ok so where do the resourses go from the draft and FA cash?  Many want to focus on offense. Many want strictly defense.  Neither approach is wrong. BUT I would prefer to focus on both equally and zero in on positions that are of dire most need.  Start with the draft.  We need a pass rush. Lawson will be back, Hoorary! Combine him with Thib or Hutch and we have a nice duo.  Hopefully we get one or the other with out 1st pick.  2nd 1st rounder - trade back and get a 2nd rounder. Not to far back and take Linderboom.  Best center in ages to come out. Protecting Zach is paramount.  Round 2 - three picks!  RB Walker ( dude is electric), LB Brandon Smith (fast lb flying all over. Perfect for Saleh defense.) S Brandon Joseph - heady safety who's a ball hawk.  On to round 3 pick 68. Not messing around here and taking TE McBride whgich is the TE I want. He's projected to go around 83 BUT not taking a chance and take him at 68. Reminds me of Kelce. Round 4 - Picks 109 and 121. Trading 109 and add a draft pick next year  to grab LB Chad Muma.  He's an ole skoll LB in the mold of Zach Thomas, Bob Crable. Love this guy. Pick 121 John Ridgeway 6'6 320 DT. BEAST Stick him next to QW.  Pick 146 Cade Mays G - can play all over OL.  Great depth piece. Pick 159 Tyler Smith OT 6'6 320 SLEEPER.  DONE.

FA - Sign TE Schulz, G Schreff, WR Allen Robinson, CB JC Jackson, resign Fant, Moses

Undrafted - WR Christian Watson ND State - Fb Zander Horvath OL Aaron Frost 

This is the draft JD MUST hit on. Its the draft to transform this roster. He has the picks, he has the cash. 

Great post man. I’ll just touch on a few of my views. 

For FA I believe that going after Jessie Bates or Marcus Williams is a must. The jets have nothing at safety besides a project in Davis. Jessie Bates fills the single high safety role extremely well and will be my first choice.  

This is the perfect time to sign OL with becton and AVT on rookie contracts. Instead of Schreff who is older, injury prone, and will demand a massive contract id look at Connor Williams and James Daniels. They are both young with great potential and won’t be that expensive (hopefully). Daniels has experience at Center also which is a plus. 

TE I like Shultz, but he is limited athletically and is a 1 year wonder. I’d rather go for Njoku or OJ Howard. While they may have not turned out as expected they are terrific shots to take. 

signing these guys will make it much easier to go BPA in the draft instead of forcing needs. 

As far as WR goes I’m not really a fan of going after a big ticket guy like Robinson. This draft has some fantastic options in rounds 1-3. Maybe sign someone like Kirk or Gallup if anyone. 

• Upvote 1

We still need to build this offense.  If Im Joe D, I do the following:

Take Neal the LT at 4.

Take Burks WR at 7

Take McBride TE with 1st pick in 2nd round

Take Charbonnet RB with 3rd round pick.

Im also trading Becton for a late 1st or early 2nd.  So you can use that pick and our other 2nd round pick on D.

Then we obviously still have free agency and rounds 4-7 in the draft to round out the roster.

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We still need to build this offense.  If Im Joe D, I do the following:

Take Neal the LT at 4.

Take Burks WR at 7

Take McBride TE with 1st pick in 2nd round

Take Charbonnet RB with 3rd round pick.

Im also trading Becton for a late 1st or early 2nd.  So you can use that pick and our other 2nd round pick on D.

Then we obviously still have free agency and rounds 4-7 in the draft to round out the roster.

Trade becton because he missed a season due to injury, but played great his rookie year? Makes sense. You must have really wanted maye gone early on too 

If we want Thibs or Hutch we are going to have to trade up. 

Personally I think it would be worth it to give up a 2nd and a future 3rd to move up to second overall pick this year and grab Thibs/Hutch. 

they are just at another tier above Karlaftis and Ojabo. If we don’t get That top tier edge rusher, it doesn’t who we go with at the number 4 pick - it’s going to be a reach

34 minutes ago, Be_a_Jet said:

If we want Thibs or Hutch we are going to have to trade up. 

Personally I think it would be worth it to give up a 2nd and a future 3rd to move up to second overall pick this year and grab Thibs/Hutch. 

they are just at another tier above Karlaftis and Ojabo. If we don’t get That top tier edge rusher, it doesn’t who we go with at the number 4 pick - it’s going to be a reach

I’m not sure this is true. 

Neal has been playing lights out recently and was excellent vs Georgia. The jags very well may take him to protect Lawrence. 

The Texans or Lions may take a qb. They are creeping up boards as expected. Corrall is very similar to Wilson as far as intangibles go and played better competition. Pickett looks like Derek Carr or Kirk Cousins and seems ready to start day 1. Malik Willis is very similar to trey lance who went #4 last year. Willis has a better pedigree than lance because he was at Auburn an SEC school for 2 years. He’s been carrying liberty all season and had a great bowl game with 5 tds. 

This team has way too many holes to be giving up picks to trade up for guys who aren’t on the same level of the Bosas, Chase Young, Myles Garrett 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, BurntDice said:

Great post man. I’ll just touch on a few of my views. 

For FA I believe that going after Jessie Bates or Marcus Williams is a must. The jets have nothing at safety besides a project in Davis. Jessie Bates fills the single high safety role extremely well and will be my first choice.  

This is the perfect time to sign OL with becton and AVT on rookie contracts. Instead of Schreff who is older, injury prone, and will demand a massive contract id look at Connor Williams and James Daniels. They are both young with great potential and won’t be that expensive (hopefully). Daniels has experience at Center also which is a plus. 

TE I like Shultz, but he is limited athletically and is a 1 year wonder. I’d rather go for Njoku or OJ Howard. While they may have not turned out as expected they are terrific shots to take. 

signing these guys will make it much easier to go BPA in the draft instead of forcing needs. 

As far as WR goes I’m not really a fan of going after a big ticket guy like Robinson. This draft has some fantastic options in rounds 1-3. Maybe sign someone like Kirk or Gallup if anyone. 

I’ve been hearing about Bates and checked his film out and he is lights out. Doubt he’s not resigned but he’s a guy that could ignite a defense.  Would be an amazing addition and we definitely need some talent. I can see how Schreff would be a risky move. JD has to get a premier guard in here somehow. Still hope we can land Linderboom. And hopefully we resign Fant who has been rock solid this year. 

JD may just have to go thru the draft to acquire talent. What top player wants to come to a bottom dweller? 

I doubt we get Hutch or Thibedoux now. Would have been nice. But if not, trade back on both - add picks. The one LB that would be a great consolation prize if Devin Lloyd.  We could come out of the 1st round with Linderboom, Lloyd and some extra picks. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

I’ve been hearing about Bates and checked his film out and he is lights out. Doubt he’s not resigned but he’s a guy that could ignite a defense.  Would be an amazing addition and we definitely need some talent. I can see how Schreff would be a risky move. JD has to get a premier guard in here somehow. Still hope we can land Linderboom. And hopefully we resign Fant who has been rock solid this year. 

JD may just have to go thru the draft to acquire talent. What top player wants to come to a bottom dweller? 

I doubt we get Hutch or Thibedoux now. Would have been nice. But if not, trade back on both - add picks. The one LB that would be a great consolation prize if Devin Lloyd.  We could come out of the 1st round with Linderboom, Lloyd and some extra picks. 

I do think we will trade back with one of the picks.  

• Upvote 1

On 12/26/2021 at 9:34 PM, BurntDice said:

Trade becton because he missed a season due to injury, but played great his rookie year? Makes sense. You must have really wanted maye gone early on too 

Ok, then slide Becton to RT, let Fant play LT and Neal can play guard for a year or 2.

Building this offense for our rookie qb is still the number 1 priority.

• WTF? 1

20 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Ok, then slide Becton to RT, let Fant play LT and Neal can play guard for a year or 2.

Building this offense for our rookie qb is still the number 1 priority.

Drafting a tackle at 4 and forcing him to play guard is beyond dumb. Just draft a guard in the mid rounds (where they usually go) and sign a FA guard. The line doesn’t need to be all 1st rounders. The only team in the league with 3 first rounders is the lions. How’s that working out for them? 

8 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

The answer is offense.

I think we should add a WR, TE & RB in the first two rounds.

If Becton is truly a bust, not just unlucky this year, add an offensive tackle (probably the first pick).

Don't worry so much about defense right now; we're trying to develop a quarterback. 

Without ZW developing everything else is pointless.  So I favor offense heavily.  

It’ll be interesting to see what holes are filled by FA before the draft.

An alternate though as to D draft needs.

I think the one surprise in the draft may be that the Jets draft a DT. While we went into this season thinking the D line was a strength, it hasn't been. IMO it is due to a lack of quality depth in the interior line. After Q and JFM (who plays both DE and DT), there is no one that can be counted upon to play quality snaps.  So, I do think that with a 4th round pick or earlier the Jets may select a DT.

As to LBs in the draft, that entirely depends on how the Jets view Nasirildeen, Sherwood and Davis. The first two were drafted as developmental players but Sherwood was starting in week 1. Do the Jets view one or both as starters next season. And do they view the Davis FA signing as a mistake? He was injured and did not play well upon his return. Saleh made some excuses for him i.e. it takes awhile to get into game shape after an injury, but Saleh defends ALL of his players. If the Jets think they have starters in Quincy, CJ and and Sherwood for next season with Hamsah as a back-up, they may not draft a LB at all this season.