Betty

BettyBoop

Only two months until NFL free agency and four months to the draft and I can hardly wait!  It's going to be an epic offseason for the Jets!  Here are my predictions.

• The Jets will finish the season 4-13 and have the #4 and #9 picks in the draft.  Not exactly going out on the limb here, but wait, there's more!
  • Douglas will end the season with $2mm in cap space to carry over to 2022, which brings him to $51.5mm to start the offseason.  Douglas will then begin the purge by cutting Rankins, Van Rotten, Griffen, Shaq Lawson, Edoga, Wesco, Cashman, Perrine and Vinnie Curry thus adding an additional $24.5mm to the war chest, bringing the total to $76mm to play with.
  • It's time to play hardball with some guys and he will ask Fant and McGovern to redo their contracts and take pay cuts.  Fant will balk but he will come back after realizing he ain't getting $10mm per from another team and settles on $6mm per for a two year deal.
  • Douglas, realizing his job is on the line will spend heavily in free agency.  He will actually outbid other teams to sign a legit #1 WR, OL, TE, S and LB/Edge.  Let's face it, he will have to outbid other teams to entice guys to join this team.
  • Douglas then goes into the draft desperately needing another Edge, OL, TE, WR, S and RB.  Douglas's prayers are answered with Matt Coral, Kenny Pickett and Malik Willis shooting up draft boards starting a bidding war for QB desperate teams looking to move up.  WFT, Denver and Vegas, I'm looking at you here!
  • After losing out on Deshaun Watson and Russell Wilson, Denver offers up their first, second and 2023 second for #9 and Douglas has his plan in motion.
  • Douglas then picks George Karlaftis, Edge and Ikem Ekwanu, G/OT in the first round; Brandon Smith, LB, Jordan Battle, S, and Jalen Tolbert, WR in the second; Jarrett Patterson, C in the third; and Trey McBride, TE and Tyler Algeier, RB in the fourth.

In the last few rounds Douglas picks Bumper Poole and Andrew MEvis because he likes their names.

• Haha 1

We already have a great start by locking up this stud (TYJDTY):

aj1lvttx0y9pgmyecznt.jpeg

Current Contract

John Franklin-Myers signed a 4 year, $55,000,000 contract with the New York Jets, including a $2,000,000 signing bonus, $30,215,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $13,750,000.

I am so relieved!!!!!

TYJDTY, TYJDTY, TYJDTY, TYJDTY, TYJDTY, TYJDTY, TYJDTY, TYJDTY...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Bronx said:

We already have a great start by locking this stud (TYJDTY):

Current Contract

John Franklin-Myers signed a 4 year, $55,000,000 contract with the New York Jets, including a $2,000,000 signing bonus, $30,215,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $13,750,000.

I am so relieved!!!!!

If only there was a way to get out of this contract after next season….

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bronx said:

We already have a great start by locking this stud (TYJDTY):

Current Contract

I am so relieved!!!!!

I think I saw him last week

1. Fant will not be hard balled. He is a JD guy and he has earned his next contract. This is something JD has preached extensively, rewarding the guys that actually deserve it.  

2. There arent any legit #1 WRs that will be available when FA starts, there rarely are. Adams will stick with Rodgers wherever he is, Godwin tore his ACL, William's play severely dropped off halfway through the season for some reason despite Herbert being a stud, that leaves everyone vying for Allen Robinson. 

3. I'll shoot myself in the face if that's how our draft plays out. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, JTJet said:

2. There arent any legit #1 WRs that will be available when FA starts, there rarely are. Adams will stick with Rodgers wherever he is, Godwin tore his ACL, William's play severely dropped off halfway through the season for some reason despite Herbert being a stud, that leaves everyone vying for Allen Robinson. 

Odell 🤩

8 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Only two months until NFL free agency and four months to the draft and I can hardly wait!  It's going to be an epic offseason for the Jets!  Here are my predictions.

• The Jets will finish the season 4-13 and have the #4 and #9 picks in the draft.  Not exactly going out on the limb here, but wait, there's more!
  • Douglas will end the season with $2mm in cap space to carry over to 2022, which brings him to $51.5mm to start the offseason.  Douglas will then begin the purge by cutting Rankins, Van Rotten, Griffen, Shaq Lawson, Edoga, Wesco, Cashman, Perrine and Vinnie Curry thus adding an additional $24.5mm to the war chest, bringing the total to $76mm to play with.
  • It's time to play hardball with some guys and he will ask Fant and McGovern to redo their contracts and take pay cuts.  Fant will balk but he will come back after realizing he ain't getting $10mm per from another team and settles on $6mm per for a two year deal.
  • Douglas, realizing his job is on the line will spend heavily in free agency.  He will actually outbid other teams to sign a legit #1 WR, OL, TE, S and LB/Edge.  Let's face it, he will have to outbid other teams to entice guys to join this team.
  • Douglas then goes into the draft desperately needing another Edge, OL, TE, WR, S and RB.  Douglas's prayers are answered with Matt Coral, Kenny Pickett and Malik Willis shooting up draft boards starting a bidding war for QB desperate teams looking to move up.  WFT, Denver and Vegas, I'm looking at you here!
  • After losing out on Deshaun Watson and Russell Wilson, Denver offers up their first, second and 2023 second for #9 and Douglas has his plan in motion.
  • Douglas then picks George Karlaftis, Edge and Ikem Ekwanu, G/OT in the first round; Brandon Smith, LB, Jordan Battle, S, and Jalen Tolbert, WR in the second; Jarrett Patterson, C in the third; and Trey McBride, TE and Tyler Algeier, RB in the fourth.

In the last few rounds Douglas picks Bumper Poole and Andrew MEvis because he likes their names.

i like a lot of this.  i don't know if there's enough cap to sign the five player positions , all with top flight players.  a true no. 1 receiver is good but it seems like these guys become prima donas when they get their first big contract.  maybe it's better to use a first rounder on one. i'd also like them to trade one of their top picks back and pick up something in the future draft.

2 hours ago, JTJet said:

1. Fant will not be hard balled. He is a JD guy and he has earned his next contract. This is something JD has preached extensively, rewarding the guys that actually deserve it.

Definitely agree. Joe Douglas might be better served offering him an extension while he’s still under contract, with the staff possibly considering moving Becton to the right side. 

Also don’t see any desperation moves from JD. Don’t see his job on the line. I do think that he will be active in free agency, but about as active as he was last year (which brought in a couple high-priced guys and a number of one-year deals). While the fans are jumping out of windows with their heads cut off, he’ll be staying the course. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, DJF71 said:

Douglas will have all this money and not spend it and then he will hit on 30-40% of his draft picks. Jets will win 5 games next year.

I just think Woody restricts the amount he will let JD spend from the cap money...he considers that as an out of pockets savings,  not as capital to be spent on the team...your analysis is spot on. 

• Upvote 1

The only real OL under contract in 2023 are Becton and AVT.  Fant and McGovern have to be extended, and it won't be for cheap money.  

We need to find 2 real starting LBs and 2 starting Ss, who are actually good and not just filler.  There is no scheme-they need to make plays on their own.   Mosley can be starter 3 and Quincy, Hamsah and Sherwood can be backups.   Similarly, Davis and somebody else can be S3 and S4.  If we pick an Edge in the draft and let Curry and Shaq go, and maybe sign a tier 2 FA CB, the defense is much, much better.  

15 hours ago, JTJet said:

3. I'll shoot myself in the face if that's how our draft plays out. 

I'd give big money to Robinson and wouldn't think twice.  4 year deal for top end money.   

On 12/23/2021 at 11:38 PM, BettyBoop said:

i am not playing games with Fant or McGovern. teams are going to want them. pay them. and i would also bring back LDT. hes played pretty well. 

the line has played well this season. its important to keep them together and not keep changing them up. 

i can see him spend money in FA but spread it around. i dont see any big contracts. and i dont expect the top guys wanted to come here.

we need to stop with the trade backs and stay where we are. every one of these trade back scenarios i have seen always has us taking an OL in the 1st rd. i swear some of you guys do this just to justify picking another OL in the 1st rd. 

if we pick an OL in the 1st rd for the 3rd year in a row i will fly the "Fire JD " plane myself. and you guys know i have been defending JD all year, but that will lose me. stupidest move ever. only done by the worst NFL teams.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bronx said:

We already have a great start by locking up this stud (TYJDTY):

Current Contract

I am so relieved!!!!!

Why do people keep bringing up his contract? It’s not hard to look it up. It’s essentially a 1 year 12.5 mil deal with almost no dead money after next season. Not a big contract by any means. It’s almost all backloaded with no guarantees after 2022. 2023 is only 12.3 mil which about on par with guys who have the same production he’s having this season. 

• Like 3

Very few these things will happen, other than some of the obvious high-dollar cuts (e.g. Rankins) and Douglas exploring trade-down options. But he’s not moving down from #4 to #9 for a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year. A 1st next year is what he’ll want, or he may as well make his pick up top. What he doesn’t need are more picks in 2022; that many rookies aren’t seeing the field together again unless he wants a repeat of 2021. 

Very unlikely he’ll cut anyone still on his rookie contract in March. The extra $ cleared is negligible and there’s no rush on guys like Edoga, Perrine, etc. though I do think they’ve got uphill battles to make the roster. If he needs a couple extra dollars for a particular signing, yes he could make a couple of these cuts early, but he could just as easily structure a new FA’s deal so it hits 2022 a little less. If/when those guys get cut later, their unused cap space amounts will carry over anyway so it’s the same net space available in ‘23.

After spending on Corey Davis, while anything’s possible, it’s more likely he’ll use a high draft pick to find a “#1” WR. He’ll probably find (or re-sign) a Crowder type, though there may still be some bad blood over getting the squeeze put on him months after FA/draft were over.

There’s no way Fant is taking 2 years@$6MM, and no he won’t have much difficulty getting $10MM as a UFA if he calls JD’s bluff. He’s a legit starting LT and the salary cap is way too high to get a reliable starter, very much in his prime at 30yo, for so little. What you’re outlining is the same money for this year and locking himself into $3MM for next year. 0% chance of that, and possibly even less.

Possible but unlikely with getting McGovern to take a pay cut. Only way that happens is if it’s well after the draft and he puts the squeeze on him; but that’d mean he’s already drafted McGovern’s replacement & he may as well just cut him or wait until the summer. 

Yeah it could happen, but I really doubt he takes an OL in round 1 for the 3rd straight year. Regardless, it certainly won’t happen after spending “heavily” on the OL in FA. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Betty needs a hobby .

Knitting GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 1

Why do people keep bringing up his contract? It’s not hard to look it up. It’s essentially a 1 year 12.5 mil deal with almost no dead money after next season. Not a big contract by any means. It’s almost all backloaded with no guarantees after 2022. 2023 is only 12.3 mil which about on par with guys who have the same production he’s having this season. 
Exactly ... extremely team friendly deal. A+ work by JD ... once again.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

JD should be begging Fant and McGovern to extend a year or two for the same money.   There are no replacements for them.  

If he could find a way to get an edge and WR1 and OL in round 1 that would be awesome.  So trading down for another pick in 2022 would work. The rest of the draft can be defense other than trying to find a TE. 

• Like 1