Is Zach Wilson a Bust?

Maxman

1 hour ago, DetroitRed said:

The answer is nobody knows , and you’re lying if you say you do.   I agree with competition ( that lit his fire in college) , but he  will be in the mix next season.  In the meantime, its a waste of time to debate 

Agree 100%. To me it’s great to have an opinion but to be so certain he’s a bust, to say they knew it all along, they knew it before the draft, and if it happens they told you so from the beginning, that’s what I find most annoying. Because you’re right no one can know for sure right now. As to the debate being a waste of time, true but you could probably say that about all the time we spend here!

• Upvote 3

Declaring him a bust this early is way too premature IMO.  Obviously not a lot has gone as we hoped as a team overall.  Ton of injuries/including to ZW) hasn’t helped.  One positive is that the picks have gone down lately which is good.  I do think ZW feels he needs to do too much sometimes which gets him into trouble but that can be easily fixed. I also like how he can keep plays alive and has starred to use his legs more to gain yardage.  Look I get it fans want him to be great right away I mean ego wouldn’t want that.  But we gotta give him at least this year to get comfortable.  If he is still having the same issues this time next year then I can understand the panic.  However I have seen good signs lately.  Is he there yet?  Hell No but I’m looking forward to his growth in Year 2 after going through the grind of a NFL season with a lot of obstacles 

• Haha 1

This is a conundrum because Zach appears not to get it, but if we go off and spend $20mm on another QB that will reduce resources to help him get it next year. 

The odds are against him but not zero.   The best path in my opinion is to go all in on him next year.  If he busts, that is a higher draft pick and more money for JD’s replacement to work with.   Giving him a better defense too will also help him. 

Zach has done the work to recover in the past.  That is our best hope for 2022.  

Tender White and look for a Hoyer/Flacco type.  

• Upvote 1

He’s a bust so far. Very unimpressive.
Will he be a bust going forward? Probably.
Could he turn it around and become a legit franchise QB? Sure.
Is that likely? No.
Should we have competition for him next year? Absolutely.
Will we? I doubt it.
He’ll likely get what I’ve said all along: 3 years, effectively uncontested, to show who and what he is.
So we’ll be asking this same question thru the end of 2023 unless ZW shows he’s the man. He alone has the power to silence the cynics and doubters, who, I assure you, want to be silenced. There is no joy in ZW being a bust.

We should not be devestated if a second round pick brings in young competition.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

He’s a bust so far. Very unimpressive.

Will he be a bust going forward? Probably.

Could he turn it around and become a legit franchise QB? Sure.

Is that likely? No.

Should we have competition for him next year? Absolutely.

Will we? I doubt it.

He’ll likely get what I’ve said all along: 3 years, effectively uncontested, to show who and what he is.

So we’ll be asking this same question thru the end of 2023 unless ZW shows he’s the man. He alone has the power to silence the cynics and doubters, who, I assure you, want to be silenced. There is no joy in ZW being a bust.

This post should be pinned at the top of the message board. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Sam stunk, Zach stinks but that does not mean 100% pure bust.

He's not going to work out IMHO but I'm not willing to close the book just yet. I do believe he deserves a few games next year , due to his work ethic, to show he can fix the many problems he currently faces. If he does not look like a totally different QB the first 3-4 games next year you have to make a change and yes I do believe he and Mr. White should compete for the Job at the beginning of next year.

Mike White's limitations as an NFL QB were very clear as soon as there was any real tape on him, he simply does not have the arm to push the ball down the field or outside the hash marks.  Take away the short stuff and he is going to struggle.  That is not ok for an NFL starter.

Zach has a lot of work to do, but until the middle of next year, we wont know what he is or is not.

• Upvote 3

no telling at the moment.  he's sort of got the same excuses that darnold did.  no real receivers, injuries, oline not playing well, and just a weird season overall.   all of these are true.  there have been improvements to all of the above but not to the point where they're consistently good day in and day out.  add to that a defense that has regressed from last season and it just makes it harder for wilson to play very well.

obviously he needs to be accountable for those bunny passes he's missed and other parts of his game that aren't working.

I cannot label Zack Wilson a bust after one year as the starting QB. Let look at the facts so far:

1) The whole offensive line has been shaky (Becton out all season and Van Roten was a turnstile at right guard) Wilson has been running for his life when passing.

2) Only two WR's (Davis and Moore) have played good though the season. But the others have not stepped up when needed!!!! I have seen way too many passes dropped and when needed they can't get opened.

If Douglas fixes those areas, Wilson will succeed on this team!!!!

I reserved judgment until after the Saints game. I wanted to be fair and give him at least half a season. Since then I have been super critical of him and saying he sure looks like a bust. My issue is is instincts- and am of the opinion ( you either have what it takes instinctually - or you don’t). As of this minute I don’t think he does, i think he looks to be a bust. I hope I’m wrong- but also think regardless of what I or anyone wants -he will be here through his rookie deal. He has more time to figure it out. Let’s hope it clicks or this franchise is set back even further. What the Jets cannot and must not do is come back next year with all their eggs in Zach’s basket without a real back up plan. Wouldn’t be fair to the rest of the players or fans.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Two posts that should really start the conversation. Can’t call the kid a total bust yet, but obviously tilting so hard so deep in that direction. But, if Warfish  is right they give the kid two more unrivaled years? Then the entire front office needs to go with him. Once the O line started to gel the offense has shown it works when it has someone who is able to execute it is behind center. With solid free agent and draft additions to the offense  it could be fun AF to watch next year. If the damn defense improves team could modestly compete. Making sure we got a QB that can operate the offense as close to it’s potential needs to really be the goal for next year! If they really give this kid two more years and he doesn’t improve? Everyone needs to go!

7E85EB33-90ED-434D-9799-E9387CEC6B39.gif

I really cant imagine no contest in camp next year. How can you expect anyone to give 2 sh*ts about their performance on this team if the NY Jets go into the season with the same intentions ie; nothing matters but Zach Wilson.  Logically, I cant imagine it.  And JD will be what, 6-27 since his first full draft?  They cant possibly come into another season thinking another double loss season is acceptable. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

That said, there is absolutely no way you can go into next season with Zach as the unrivaled starter. They absolutely must sign or trade for a legitimate veteran QB who can go put a respectable season down for JD if Zach falters.  Whether it's signing Mariota, Winston, Bridgewater, Mitch, or trade for Minshew but they have to bring in someone still relatively young who gives Zach real competition.  JD cant have another last place in the division finish, losing 10+ games.  I do think everyone is fired if that happens and I think these guys have to know that they've tied their career to what has been all measures, a disaster. 

Still, not ready to call him a bust. 

It’s going to be interesting to see what they do at the backup QB spot. And I say backup, because that’s what that QB will be - not a player brought in to actually compete with Wilson. But I like your list. That’s the level of QB I’d be looking to bring in. Even without any true competition, the message will be clear: we’ve brought in a QB to play if you don’t show significant improvement. I don’t think they’ll have too a quick a hook for Zach, but they won’t let him get them fired, either. 

I don’t know what gets them fired, either. I’m also thinking they need to avoid the 10+ losses next season. That 7-9-1 might be fine, but 6-11 might not be enough. It’s also possible that they’re here to open 2023 unless there’s just a complete meltdown. If I’m not mistaken, they’ll still have three years guaranteed left at the end of next season. I don’t see the Johnsons as very excited to pay that out. They probably have a longer leash than most fans would like. Hopefully Zach makes the jump to a mid-range QB next season, making this whole conversation moot. Benching Zach and winning with his replacement also keeps their jobs, if not Zach’s, and I think they’ll have to be ready to do that. Sam Darnold’s failure has the fans extremely impatient with Zach -fairly or not- and I suspect everyone in the building knows it. 

For the Mike White fans, I’ll be a little surprised if he’s in the mix. They won’t tender him above the right of first refusal, if they tender him at all, and I have to hope/believe that they want a higher caliber QB on the roster. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, slats said:

It’s going to be interesting to see what they do at the backup QB spot. And I say backup, because that’s what that QB will be - not a player brought in to actually compete with Wilson. But I like your list. That’s the level of QB I’d be looking to bring in. Even without any true competition, the message will be clear: we’ve brought in a QB to play if you don’t show significant improvement. I don’t think they’ll have too a quick a hook for Zach, but they won’t let him get them fired, either. 

I don’t know what gets them fired, either. I’m also thinking they need to avoid the 10+ losses next season. That 7-9-1 might be fine, but 6-11 might not be enough. It’s also possible that they’re here to open 2023 unless there’s just a complete meltdown. If I’m not mistaken, they’ll still have three years guaranteed left at the end of next season. I don’t see the Johnsons as very excited to pay that out. They probably have a longer leash than most fans would like. Hopefully Zach makes the jump to a mid-range QB next season, making this whole conversation moot. Benching Zach and winning with his replacement also keeps their jobs, if not Zach’s, and I think they’ll have to be ready to do that. Sam Darnold’s failure has the fans extremely impatient with Zach -fairly or not- and I suspect everyone in the building knows it. 

For the Mike White fans, I’ll be a little surprised if he’s in the mix. They won’t tender him above the right of first refusal, if they tender him at all, and I have to hope/believe that they want a higher caliber QB on the roster. 

If they dont create an actual competition in camp with a real QB after what they've witnessed with Zach and more importantly, without Zach, I will go ahead and wave the white flag and declare this entire regime a bust and not give a single **** until everyone is gone.  I'll throw the first hundred down for the plane and banner.

@The Crusher

everyone GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1