Is Zach Wilson a Bust?

Maxman

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I dont agree that it should be his job to lose, but I agree that it will be his job to lose.  That said, if they dont bring someone in that can actually do that, and really considered it a competition that Zach can lose, personally I'm done with these guys.  I'm not a fan of the New York Zach Wilson's, I'm a fan of the New York Jets.

Fair enough, but who should they bring in?  A decent vet QB?  Draft another guy in the 3rd round or so (I would really hope NOT with one of the first and second rounders)?

34 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

In all seriousness, here’s what I don’t like about him in a nutshell- go to his last press conference this week. He was asked about watching a lot of film- his answer was “it’s not the QB’s responsibility to analyze hours and hours of film. The coaches do that and devise a game plan based on what they see. It’s our job to execute that game plan”. The other thing he said was to the effect “I have to make sure I know the plays in detail so I know exactly where my guys will be”

Those are two statements he made this week and go right to my point that he doesn’t know the NFL game at all. The coaches pour through film to come up with a game plan, I agree. It’s also the QB’s job to know the Offensive plays through and through,I agree. What’s missing is while Zach is not pouring over film and working so hard to know our own plays, he’s not grasping what the opposing DEFENSE is trying to do before the game, before the play, and during the play. Knowing where your own players will be is basic common football. Knowing where the defense is going to be and how to combat that BEFORE THE SNAP is 90% of being a QB in this league. Unfortunately Zach spent an entire college career going against such scrubs that Zach didn’t even have to worry about the D because he had time to react to what he saw mid play. He will never have that time in the NFL. Part of why Tom Brady is the best QB probably ever is because he was studying Defense alongside the greatest defensive mind in the game. He knew what the D was going to do before the play even started. More than any other player in the NFL Zach needs to be studying NFL level defensive schemes and strategies, otherwise he’s not going to make it in this league.

I’d like to preface this post with the fact that Zach is a nice boy, such a good boy!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

There are quotes from Mike that Zach could be teetering on the edge of watching too much film and trying to prepare too much to the point that it could be getting in his head.

Dislike his play all you want, motivation and work ethic are not a question for this kid.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Sam stunk, Zach stinks but that does not mean 100% pure bust.

He's not going to work out IMHO but I'm not willing to close the book just yet. I do believe he deserves a few games next year , due to his work ethic, to show he can fix the many problems he currently faces. If he does not look like a totally different QB the first 3-4 games next year you have to make a change and yes I do believe he and Mr. White should compete for the Job at the beginning of next year.

If he busts he busts; who knows.....but hey at least we didn't give up 3 # 2s for him.   

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

It’s too early!!! Zach clearly didn’t have much to work with and the defense is terrible. This team is gonna have to click together as a unit first before they ever be ready to compete  and win. 

One thing I like about him though is he learns from his mistakes. Dude really hasn’t been that bad , seems like he just been learning as he goes through the season. He could’ve been more prepared sure enough! But I put that on the coaches.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, rtnelson said:

There are quotes from Mike that Zach could be teetering on the edge of watching too much film and trying to prepare too much to the point that it could be getting in his head.

Dislike his play all you want, motivation and work ethic are not a question for this kid.

Agreed

I didn’t question motivation and work ethic. What I said is he doesn’t understand the principles of an NFL defense. Nice kid though, such a nice boy.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

18 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I hate the Peyton Manning first season comp you made @GREENBEAN. Yea Peyton threw a lot of INT's but he was 3rd in the league in passing yards and 5th in the league in passing TD's. I doubt many would have been calling him a bust but we do have some special posters.

Wilson is 30th in YPG and 33rd in TD passes.

The Peyton comparison is total bullsh*t and lazy.  Zach hasn’t shown anything resembling Manning’s upside.

20 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Go back to what should have happened last year.

Don't draft a QB.  Build a decent team first with a serviceable veteran QB first.  

Then look for a young QB.

But yeah Zach looks like dog sh*t.  💩 

Maybe bring Sam back?

Correct. Except for bringing back Sam.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

Fair enough, but who should they bring in?  A decent vet QB?  Draft another guy in the 3rd round or so (I would really hope NOT with one of the first and second rounders)?

You didn't pose the question to me, but imo, it has to be a vet.  Bring in a Mariota/Trubisky/Winston/MInshew type.  Someone who has played competent NFL football and is still young enough to have a career ahead of him if we catch lightning in a bottle.  I would hope Zach beats the veteran out, but I just don't see how you can hand the job to Wilson after the season he has had, and I have had enough of trying to develop young QBs.  Bring in a vet, use draft capital to add playmakers to help either Zach or the vet be successful. 

Let the two guys compete, and the better man plays. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Why was he good in camp and the preseason? 

I think there are a couple of reasons.   From all accounts, he looked great in 7 on 7, but that is without rushers around him and no pocket to worry about.   Beat reporter DJ Bien-Aime (not looking up spelling) kept tweeting about Zach holding onto the ball too long and was ridiculed for it.   I don’t think the other beat writers mentioned this that I recall.   Also, Zach never faced a starting defense in the preseason games.   All three teams rested their starters during the preseason games, so Zach saw at best the second string versus the Jets Starters.

I am still hoping there is a second year jump from Zach that we never saw from all of the other Jets QBs and he will be ok, but it’s not looking good.   My other thinking is that all three of Zach, Wilson, and Lawrence can’t all be complete busts can they?   Because they all look equally as bad right now.

• Upvote 3

Zach basically said recently that he’s getting differing messages from the CS and hints it’s been confusing him. It’s possible. They also hired his personal coach John Beck recently so you’d think they’re trying hard to work with him. Look he’s gone 2 straight games without a pick. And we’re seeing on other teams good QBs throwing picks and pick 6s. But both of those games the team has been almost shut out in entire halves. It’s obvious you can’t win this way. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Zach haters are spectacular people.  

I don't hate Zach.

He seems like a nice young man. My issue with him - based on his play in games this season - is I don't think he'll ever be a FQB and is much more likely to be out of the league in 3 years.

This is not hate for Zach. It's an assessment of his play. If I have any hate it's reserved for JD.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, AL047 said:

I cannot label Zack Wilson a bust after one year as the starting QB. Let look at the facts so far:

1) The whole offensive line has been shaky (Becton out all season and Van Roten was a turnstile at right guard) Wilson has been running for his life when passing.

2) Only two WR's (Davis and Moore) have played good though the season. But the others have not stepped up when needed!!!! I have seen way too many passes dropped and when needed they can't get opened.

If Douglas fixes those areas, Wilson will succeed on this team!!!!

Vera Tucker, McGovern and Fant have not been shaky all season. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Another JN false narrative has settled in.

Zach won the job by playing well in camp and the preseason.  The practice reports were overalll positive with some ups and downs.  

Go rewatch the preseason all pass video if you are interested in real info.  He will win a competition next year so save the cash and build.   Games will tell the story.  

Edit—- it takes 7 min to test my claim:

This is not accurate, he was named the starter going into camp.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

I’d like to preface this post with the fact that Zach is a nice boy, such a good boy!

I’m sure you think this is cute, but really it’s just disrespectful to @Maxman . Please don’t do this. He opened a conversation about Wilson, because such conversation is welcome. 

I’ll also have to check out what press conference you’re talking about. By all accounts, Zach’s allegedly a film junkie. Doesn’t sound right that he’d not be watching film. 

• Post of the Week 1

So yea it’s early but it’s also not like his 3rd or 4th game…from what I see the results are unsettling. 

I be ok if he couldn’t read a defense and had picks in between solid touchdowns. But that’s not Zach right now.

Hes just bad mechanically, in accuracy and doesn’t bring any pop to the game. His short game is maddening. It’s the worst I see in many years to be honest.

Am I totally done with Zach? No, let’s see the next 3 weeks.

But like i said you gotta give this kid a competition in 22. We tossed away a year to tank to draft him and another year we jumped on the sword for “development” 

From all I hear is 22 is the year this team stars showing some winning ways. We won’t win if he continues to play this way and thats what makes me nervous as hell

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Why would they force Zach to compete next year if they didn’t do it this year? 

Because by all measures, nobody cared about this season in the entire building.  Not JD, not Saleh, not Woody...they have a "plan", and this year was going to suck, so we can afford to ride or die by giving Zach as much volume as he can handle and see what we have moving forward.  Well, if they look at what they got out of Zach Wilson, then they'll be honest with themselves and realize they cant gamble on Zach getting better and defeating the odds because if he doesnt, they'll be staring at another 10-loss season.

This isnt Chicago or Jacksonville with a new coaching staff coming in next season, installing a new system and working with a clean slate.  Saleh used this entire year to install his plan or whatever, so the clock starts ticking next year and I just dont think Woody puts up with 3 straight seasons with double-digit losses.

I'm hoping, I know but I just cant imagine them being that stupid.  Maybe that makes me stupid?  I dont know anymore, Tom.  The ineptitude is unbelievable so maybe I'm just hopeful that something has to finally give? idk fml

• Haha 1