Is Zach Wilson a Bust?

Maxman

So put any QB you'd like to name on this team . . . . are you telling me our record would be that much better?  Maybe a game or two, but probably not much better if at all.  If you don't protect any QB, don't have NFL caliber receivers (not talking bout Moore), can you really expect to have better results?  You can't throw to receivers that aren't open or when you don't have time.  I think the kid has a really good arm, is athletic but like most rookies, needs some time to develop (and needs a team around him).

The key is this coming draft, which has to be dead-on right, and not being so cheap with free agent spending.  I guess this year's FA spending was somewhat lower than we would have liked, but breaking this thing down to what we have now and not overspending when you weren't going to win anyway was probably a good idea.  No more excuses from this point forward.

We were all ready to through the OC under the bus but he's been much better since being in the booth.  Let's hope this year's experience, better protection and NFL caliber receivers next year have the same result for ZW.

Merry Christmas all,

J

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheClashFan said:

Fair enough, but who should they bring in?  A decent vet QB?  Draft another guy in the 3rd round or so (I would really hope NOT with one of the first and second rounders)?

I mentioned it earlier, but I'd go sign Winston, Mariota, Bridgewater, Trubisky or trade for Minshew, something like that because I dont think taking a late round flier is real competition.  By all measures, the guys above are considerably better players so you would think in an honest competition, they all have legitimate chances to win.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Jayzcat said:

So put any QB you'd like to name on this team . . . . are you telling me our record would be that much better?  Maybe a game or two, but probably not much better if at all.  If you don't protect any QB, don't have NFL caliber receivers (not talking bout Moore), can you really expect to have better results?  You can't throw to receivers that aren't open or when you don't have time.  I think the kid has a really good arm, is athletic but like most rookies, needs some time to develop (and needs a team around him).

The key is this coming draft, which has to be dead-on right, and not being so cheap with free agent spending.  I guess this year's FA spending was somewhat lower than we would have liked, but breaking this thing down to what we have now and not overspending when you weren't going to win anyway was probably a good idea.  No more excuses from this point forward.

We were all ready to through the OC under the bus but he's been much better since being in the booth.  Let's hope this year's experience, better protection and NFL caliber receivers next year have the same result for ZW.

Merry Christmas all,

J

The funny thing is that many on here were rooting for losses last year and salivating over Trevor Lawrence yet he looks maybe worse right now.  That doesn’t mean he is a bust at all but I do find it funny that those same people don’t say a peep about his struggles.  Rookie QBs are going to struggle that’s pretty common especially when it’s a rebuilding teams with as many injuries as the Jets have. Like I mentioned in a previous post ZW still needs to fix his issues but lately I like that the interceptions have decreased and he is starting to run more instead of forcing it.  He still has a ways to go but we need to have a tiny bit of patience 

• Upvote 2

Lots of silly stuff crystallizes into the group think.  

“Bring someone in to compete.”   But ignore Zach looks good in camp and preseason.  If a guy looks that good and is drafted 2 he’s going to get the job.  

Bringing in a QB like that (they won’t come this season btw but staying in fantasy land for the purpose of discussion).  Anyway a QB that good would be burning enough money to bring in a true WR1.  Crazy talk.  

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I mentioned it earlier, but I'd go sign Winston, Mariota, Bridgewater, Trubisky or trade for Minshew, something like that because I dont think taking a late round flier is real competition.  By all measures, the guys above are considerably better players so you would think in an honest competition, they all have legitimate chances to win.

I dont think winston is a fit here but someone like Mariota would be great as his mobility in this offense could be very interesting.  

45 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Because by all measures, nobody cared about this season in the entire building.  Not JD, not Saleh, not Woody...they have a "plan", and this year was going to suck, so we can afford to ride or die by giving Zach as much volume as he can handle and see what we have moving forward.  Well, if they look at what they got out of Zach Wilson, then they'll be honest with themselves and realize they cant gamble on Zach getting better and defeating the odds because if he doesnt, they'll be staring at another 10-loss season.

This isnt Chicago or Jacksonville with a new coaching staff coming in next season, installing a new system and working with a clean slate.  Saleh used this entire year to install his plan or whatever, so the clock starts ticking next year and I just dont think Woody puts up with 3 straight seasons with double-digit losses.

I'm hoping, I know but I just cant imagine them being that stupid.  Maybe that makes me stupid?  I dont know anymore, Tom.  The ineptitude is unbelievable so maybe I'm just hopeful that something has to finally give? idk fml

Yeah, I think they made the calculation that having a viable starter on the roster to press Wilson* would hurt his development, and the way they handled Mike White kinda supports that idea. I think they’re fully invested in Zach Wilson* and will go into next season with Flacco and a no-chance-at-playing #3 UDFA type behind him. Merry Christmas to ye.

27 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Lots of silly stuff crystallizes into the group think.  

“Bring someone in to compete.”   But ignore Zach looks good in camp and preseason.  If a guy looks that good and is drafted 2 he’s going to get the job.  

Bringing in a QB like that (they won’t come this season btw but staying in fantasy land for the purpose of discussion).  Anyway a QB that good would be burning enough money to bring in a true WR1.  Crazy talk.  

And ignore posts like this to continue building the group think lol.  

51 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Love to see Winston here. 

243354FD-54B3-4171-BF82-4B8AB931F2FF.gif

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Trevor Lawrence has faced the best of the best in college for years and succeeded at every turn. He ran an NFL style offense and faced off against the highest levels of college defenses regularly. I expect every rookie QB to struggle, it’s nuts not to. Trevor Lawrence needs the game to slow down for him and he needs some competency at the coaching position. That may never happen, but Lawrence is at least “potty trained” for the NFL.

Zach on the other has never faced anything even remotely close to top tier college football, not even close. Zach has struggled at B level college football until his final season. He’s never faced an opponent that employs NFL level defensive tactics and frankly he has no idea what defenses are doing. He’s all but admitted he’s still trying to figure out what his own offense is doing. So Zach still needs to learn the NFL game, then once he does we can focus on reps slowing down the game. But alas because we’re starting him from day one he’s spending most of his time in a mental brain blender and isnt really learning anything,he’s just trying to keep from drowning. Zach is the ultimate example of a project QB. He was never worth the #2 overall pick and he has no business starting. He’s not a QB that a team like the Jets should be drafting, he should have went to a team looking to build a pipeline where 2-3 years from now he’s sat behind a veteran and learned the game.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

You must not watch a lot of college football.

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Because “he was good in preseason” when he threw 20 passes over two games isn’t indicative of much. 

true but you got to figure he does the same next preseason too against vanilla defenses. there is no way Wilson doesnt start next season no matter who you bring in. and unless you see a 4 INT game i doubt they dont ride him for the year. 

there will come a time where JD and Saleh will have to think about their own self-preservation but it would take a disaster on Zachs part IMO.

like what your seeing now. a good half. then a bad game. then a great half then bad. ... it keep going like this he looks like hes on the verge of putting it all together. 

once they bench him hes benched for good. there telling him and everyone they have no faith in him. there going to make sure its painfully obvious before they do that.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, doitny said:

true but you got to figure he does the same next preseason too against vanilla defenses. there is no way Wilson doesnt start next season no matter who you bring in. and unless you see a 4 INT game i doubt they dont ride him for the year. 

there will come a time where JD and Saleh will have to think about their own self-preservation but it would take a disaster on Zachs part IMO.

like what your seeing now. a good half. then a bad game. then a great half then bad. ... it keep going like this he looks like hes on the verge of putting it all together. 

once they bench him hes benched for good. there telling him and everyone they have no faith in him. there going to make sure its painfully obvious before they do that.

This Jacksonville game is huge for him, because he’s going to get wrecked against the Bills and Bucs. The Jets org, the coaches, and his teammates need one game to point to where they can say that he wasn’t an open deterrent to winning. I think, inside the building, he has to give them some confidence that they’re not all just wasting their time on him. If he sucks against Jacksonville, especially against Lawrence, he’s going to show up next Spring with the weight of the world on his shoulders to play well right out of the box, and with little reason to expect that he can.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This Jacksonville game is huge for him, because he’s going to get wrecked against the Bills and Bucs. The Jets org, the coaches, and his teammates need one game to point to where they can say that he wasn’t an open deterrent to winning. I think, inside the building, he has to give them some confidence that they’re not all just wasting their time on him. If he sucks against Jacksonville, especially against Lawrence, he’s going to show up next Spring with the weight of the world on his shoulders to play well right out of the box, and with little reason to expect that he can.

i agree but if the covid list doesnt change im not sure it will be a fair assessment of Zach.

hes missing Davis, Moore, 2 Smiths, and last i heard Crowder was out with a Calf. so hes got Berrios , Cole and Mims.

and AVT and LDT are out,. and there not sure if Fant will play.

this wont be fair to judge him on.

Tell me more about this pro style Clemson offense and ferocious ACC defenses.

The ACC might as well be the 85 Bears compared to the ferocious likes of WKU, North Alabama, and UTSA. If Zach faced the ACC his entire season we wouldnt be talking about him at all because he wouldn’t have been drafted, period. If you can’t look at the makeup of Trevor Lawrence as a player and his experience and not see the absurdly marked difference between him as a prospect and Zach then I don’t know what to tell you.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

12/24. 110 yards. 0 TD’s. 0 INT’s. 

Jetnation rejoices at the progress.

30/30 400 yards 4td 0int

Jetnation shrugs it off as just Jacksonville.  Discussions of the end of Darnold's rookie year ensue.

Covid has destroyed any real meaning in this game anyway.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

The ACC might as well be the 85 Bears compared to the ferocious likes of WKU, North Alabama, and UTSA. If Zach faced the ACC his entire season we wouldnt be talking about him at all because he wouldn’t have been drafted, period. If you can’t look at the makeup of Trevor Lawrence as a player and his experience and not see the absurdly marked difference between him as a prospect and Zach then I don’t know what to tell you.

Then say that instead of making up things like Clemson running a pro style offense and Lawrence playing against the highest levels of college defenses regularly.

3 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

If you think Zach wouldn't have been drafted last year if he played in the ACC you're kidding yourself.  The ACC is full of garbage teams with terrible defenses.  Lawrence was likely overrated, but his situation is also bad in Jacksonville.  Which is why nobody is ready to give up on him.  Have you watched Lawrence play this year?  He's throwing picks directly to the defense even late in the year.  It's bad.

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That was the plan until half the team went on the Covid list.   Now if Zach was smart he would go to the local pub and pick up covid.