Is Zach Wilson a Bust?

Maxman

3 hours ago, Jets723 said:

I think some people are reading way too much into that comment.  He has been a class act since he’s been here

Yeah, haven't we heard multiple reports that they have to kick him out of Florham park for staying too long and studying too late?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

That seems unlikely.

Hyperbole of course.  Zach could come out with a home run of a game and I can already see the "it's just Jacksonville" posts.

It's likely to be bad again this week, since a quarter of the already terrible roster and the head coach are out with Covid.  That will continue to fuel you and people like you through the offseason due to TB and Buffalo both outclassing the entire Jets roster most likely with their second strings.

This offseason is going to be tiresome.

• Upvote 2

Just now, peebag said:

The whole team is a bust.  Kid is a rookie with no support system in bn place and a bunch of people asking him to be TB12 part duex.

People think because Darnold was bad, but people wanted to see him with a better supporting cast.  Means Zach will be bad because people want to see him with a better supporting cast.

It really is just DPTSD.

6 minutes ago, rtnelson said:

Hyperbole of course.  Zach could come out with a home run of a game and I can already see the "it's just Jacksonville" posts.

It's likely to be bad again this week, since a quarter of the already terrible roster and the head coach are out with Covid.  That will continue to fuel you and people like you through the offseason due to TB and Buffalo both outclassing the entire Jets roster most likely with their second strings.

Absolutely.  I think part of it is some have become accustomed to being miserable and are afraid to show any hope.  Also there are those that feel that what they claim is right and everyone else is wrong (they’ve actually said that).  The fact is nobody knows what Wilson will ultimately become.  It’s too early to make a determination one way or the other 

8 minutes ago, rtnelson said:

Yeah I can see that too but you know what shuts that up really quick? Consistency. 

• Upvote 2

Then say that instead of making up things like Clemson running a pro style offense and Lawrence playing against the highest levels of college defenses regularly.

He did, he beat Alabama in a national Championship game, literally the #1 defense in the league. His offense is essentially an RPO where he was required to read multiple levels of defense pre and post snap. Zach played a one read offense (whether it was designed that way I doubt it), and then just ran around until someone got open. Nobody he faced was ever even remotely close to the level of defenses Lawrence faced. It’s just absurd to even try to compare the ACC defenses to the likes of pretty much any team Wilson faced.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Trevor Lawrence has faced the best of the best in college for years and succeeded at every turn. He ran an NFL style offense and faced off against the highest levels of college defenses regularly. I expect every rookie QB to struggle, it’s nuts not to. Trevor Lawrence needs the game to slow down for him and he needs some competency at the coaching position. That may never happen, but Lawrence is at least “potty trained” for the NFL.

Zach on the other has never faced anything even remotely close to top tier college football, not even close. Zach has struggled at B level college football until his final season. He’s never faced an opponent that employs NFL level defensive tactics and frankly he has no idea what defenses are doing. He’s all but admitted he’s still trying to figure out what his own offense is doing. So Zach still needs to learn the NFL game, then once he does we can focus on reps slowing down the game. But alas because we’re starting him from day one he’s spending most of his time in a mental brain blender and isnt really learning anything,he’s just trying to keep from drowning. Zach is the ultimate example of a project QB. He was never worth the #2 overall pick and he has no business starting. He’s not a QB that a team like the Jets should be drafting, he should have went to a team looking to build a pipeline where 2-3 years from now he’s sat behind a veteran and learned the game.

You just spout BS like it's the gospel truth. you have hated him before he took a snap and your opinion at this point is utterly worthless. I am not even in the mood to post videos and things to counter your crap. 

You just spout BS like it's the gospel truth. you have hated him before he took a snap and your opinion at this point is utterly worthless. I am not even in the mood to post videos and things to counter your crap. 

I wouldn’t bother either, you could post mountains of videos it still doesn’t change the fact Wilson has no shot of being a successful NFL QB.

44 minutes ago, rtnelson said:

Maybe if the guy stacked 2 solid games in a row together he silence his critics

You can’t roll with the rookie excuse forever 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

He did, he beat Alabama in a national Championship game, literally the #1 defense in the league. His offense is essentially an RPO where he was required to read multiple levels of defense pre and post snap. Zach played a one read offense (whether it was designed that way I doubt it), and then just ran around until someone got open. Nobody he faced was ever even remotely close to the level of defenses Lawrence faced. It’s just absurd to even try to compare the ACC defenses to the likes of pretty much any team Wilson faced.

In their 1st seasons, Lawrence played 2 top 30 defenses and Wilson played zero.

Wilson played against 2 top 10 defenses in San Diego State and Utah.  Then 29 Tennessee and 16 Washington. So 4 top 30 defenses total in 2019.  Lawrence played 2 that year.

Their final college season Wilson played against 2 top 30 defenses, Lawrence 1.

So in all over their 3 year careers, Wilson played more games against the upper echelon of college defenses than Lawrence did.

This stuff isn’t hard to fact check.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

In their 1st seasons, Lawrence played 2 top 30 defenses and Wilson played zero.

Wilson played against 2 top 10 defenses in San Diego State and Utah.  Then 29 Tennessee and 16 Washington. So 4 top 30 defenses total in 2019.  Lawrence played 2 that year.

Their final college season Wilson played against 2 top 30 defenses, Lawrence 1.

So in all over their 3 year careers, Wilson played more games against the upper echelon of college defenses than Lawrence did.

This stuff isn’t hard to fact check.

It’s not about facts for many.   It’s about emotions.   

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Biggest game in Zach’s and Saleh’s career on Sunday. The Jags are the worst team they’ll face this season. If they come out and suck, their offseasons are going to be brutal. 

At this point, there is little they could do this year to inspire longterm confidence in most of us. Sam was good in 3 of his final 4 games as a rookie and people overvalued that greatly. If Wilson plays well in his final 3 games, people will just bring up Darnold, and rightfully so. 

Bottom line - wilson has to look like a different player next year. He has to take the proverbial “second year jump” 

• Sympathy 1

He hasn’t played enough games to be a bust.  Focus on the Jets being the youngest team in the NFL, with the most rookies starting/getting snaps.  4 rookie of the week awards and a bright future for quite few guys. This time next year if the team looks the same we have a problem.