***OFFICIAL JETS VS JAGUARS/TWO TERRIFIC ROOKIE QBs GOING MANO Y MANO MAÑANA THREAD****

T0mShane

34 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Davis Mills put up 21-27 for 254 and 2 TDs while leading the friggin Texans to 41 points today.

Meanwhile Jets fans are trying to convince themselves how 105 yards passing on 22 throws is actually good.

On his long run, #5 on the Jaguars let him stroll on by. On his TD pass, he threw it behind a wide open offensive tackle, and his team needed a kick return to score points. It looked like a bad preseason game out there where everyone had a 4:35 tee time. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

On his long run, #5 on the Jaguars let him stroll on by. On his TD pass, he threw it behind a wide open offensive tackle, and his team needed a kick return to score points. It looked like a bad preseason game out there where everyone had a 4:35 tee time. 

You think the soft throw on the opposite side of the receivers body from the closest defender was an accident? 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I took a few quiet hours away from football to ponder this, and I wish to report that I will *not* be jumping on the Zach Wilson bandwagon. He hit a Jaguars defender in the helmet while that Jaguars defender was on the ground. You guys can keep him. I’m on Team #TradeZach.

You clearly didn't watch the Youtube video with all of Zachs throws.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Not the point of my post, but ok.

I know it wasn’t but people tend to fail to take into account draft capital when assessing a pick.  A miss at # 2 overall is several orders of magnitude worse than a miss at pick 12 because of the draft capital surrendered while picking a bust. 

It’s why the Jamal Adams pick was arguably the worst pick in Jets history, even though he wasn’t a bad player here, because of the QBs that were sitting there that could have been taken instead, or the capital that could have been acquired in a trade down.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I know it wasn’t but people tend to fail to take into account draft capital when assessing a pick.  A miss at # 2 overall is several orders of magnitude worse than a miss at pick 12 because of the draft capital surrendered while picking a bust. 
Good thing it looks like JD did not miss on his number 2 overall pick for his franchise QB pick then.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It’s why the Jamal Adams pick was arguably the worst pick in Jets history, even though he wasn’t a bad player here, because of the QBs that were sitting there that could have been taken instead, or the capital that could have been acquired in a trade down.

ok

Don't know why you're barking this at me.

Down, boy, down!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I never said I believe in Trevor Lawrence.  I think he’s probably a bust too.  But Jacksonville sure runs their offense like they believe in him.  And that’s pretty important. 

The Jets have been running an offense that probably best suits a rookie who has needed to correct parts of his game that had never been an issue in the past.  Also an offense that for now prioritizes ball security ie game manager, which isn’t even close to his skill set, which has been put in in the hopes he gets his feet under him by being able to accomplish the easy stuff.  He seems to have passed that test since coming back from the injury.

He has no skill position talent around him and he has a beyond a patchwork OL in front of him.

I have a feeling Wilson will be running an offense that looks like he is “believed in” all next year...and beyond.

Also way way too early to think that Lawrence is a bust.  His team is garbage too.

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The opportunity cost is an unknown.

And while I didn’t like the Adams pick, history and reports have indicated, IIRC - but don’t hold a gun to my head and I could be wrong- that Mac had NO LEAGUE TIES and couldn’t move the pick because no other GMs wanted to trade with him. 

with JD, I’d factor in draft capital as an opportunity cost when making that decision, but with our previous 2 GMs (Max and Idzik) trade downs were not because they never showed (historically) the astute trade down/up ability and savvy like JD has. 
Mac was HOSED by Indy. JD hosed Sea and Carolina 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

The Jets have been running an offense that probably best suits a rookie who has needed to correct parts of his game that had never been an issue in the past.  Also an offense that for now prioritizes ball security ie game manager, which isn’t even close to his skill set, which has been put in in the hopes he gets his feet under him by being able to accomplish the easy stuff.  He seems to have passed that test since coming back from the injury.

He has no skill position talent around him and he has a beyond a patchwork OL in front of him.

I have a feeling Wilson will be running an offense that looks like he is “believed in” all next year...and beyond.

Also way way too early to think that Lawrence is a bust.  His team is garbage too.

Darnold’s team was garbage too.  Didn’t mean he was secretly good.

I think Lawrence’s chances are better than Wilson’s but am pessimistic on both.

I don’t think it’s ever too early to assess a QB and think maybe he doesn’t cut it.  After all, only about a dozen guys on the planet can play the position at a high level at any given time.  And since it’s never been a more favorable time to be a QB, it’s also easier to be able to tell when a kid isn’t going to turn into a success. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Darnold’s team was garbage too.  Didn’t mean he was secretly good.

I think Lawrence’s chances are better than Wilson’s but am pessimistic on both.

I don’t think it’s ever too early to assess a QB and think maybe he doesn’t cut it.  After all, only about a dozen guys on the planet can play the position at a high level at any given time.  And since it’s never been a more favorable time to be a QB, it’s also easier to be able to tell when a kid isn’t going to turn into a success. 

Good points.

I just think it’s too early to reserve total judgement on either right now.

Not saying either is going to be Troy Aikman, but it would have been easy to write him off after going 1-15 on team that had better players than who Wilson has on his unit.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Good points.

I just think it’s too early to reserve total judgement on either right now.

Not saying either is going to be Troy Aikman, but it would have been easy to write him off after going 1-15 on team that had better players than who Wilson has on his unit.

Yes, but Aikman might as well have been playing a completely different game.  And I really don’t think he was deserving of being in the HOF anyways.  Eli Manning was probably better than Aikman.  Aikman only threw for 20+ TDs in a season once.  Even in his era he was pretty unimpressive.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, but Aikman might as well have been playing a completely different game.  And I really don’t think he was deserving of being in the HOF anyways.  Eli Manning was probably better than Aikman.  Aikman only threw for 20+ TDs in a season once.  Even in his era he was pretty unimpressive.

He had some team built around him.  Never seen an OL like that..ever.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Lawrence is dealing with a total mess with this Jax CS. Again, no idea how anyone with functioning grey matter lets Brian Schottenhiemer anywhere near this kid. They've wasted a season with this imbecile running things. The last sequence of the Jags offense at the very end of the game is grounds to fire everyone, if they hadn't already sent Meyer packing. 

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Lawrence is dealing with a total mess with this Jax CS. Again, no idea how anyone with functioning grey matter lets Brian Schottenhiemer anywhere near this kid. They've wasted a season with this imbecile running things. The last sequence of the Jags offense at the very end of the game is grounds to fire everyone, if they hadn't already sent Meyer packing. 

Excellent point, I didn’t even think about that. It’s quite possible that Lawrence will already be destroyed “in the crib”.

Jet fans should actually rejoice knowing that Wilson is under the watchful eye of someone who is now OC who actually appears to be talented even though he’s a rookie OC at that.  Would be pure misery knowing Wilson was under a Schottenheimer sentence.  When that happens you’re constantly questioning as to why your QB is playing terribly.  Is it because he’s just no good?  Or is it because he has this idiot with an Encyclopedia Britanica sized playbook that his father gave him to look “smart”, that Brett Favre threw in the garbage the minute he saw it, as his OC?

Poor Lawrence.  Poor poor Lawrence.

• Upvote 1