***OFFICIAL JETS VS JAGUARS/TWO TERRIFIC ROOKIE QBs GOING MANO Y MANO MAÑANA THREAD****

T0mShane

1 minute ago, ZachEY said:

Guess which QB (or team) threw for the least amount of yards against Jacksonville all season?  Nearly 100 yards below their average yards allowed.  And with their best pass rusher sidelined.

They ran 36 times for 273 yards, of which, the qb had 91.  Why would you throw when you can dominate like this?

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A bridge QB like Trubisky or Minshew.  Would have loved to have ended up with Pitts or one of the young WRs.

And another 1st in '22. The trade down - some of us were calling for before the draft - is looking better and better with every passing week.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I gotcha.  At this point, it’s all we can hope for though so time to throw your hands up and take the good as it comes  ??‍♂️.

Agreed.  But I wouldn't call today "good."  I also never called today a condemnation of Zach.  I look at it as sort of a push.  He played with no help, but he also wasn't unproductive against a very bad team.  He had a nice run, made a few plays, limited his mistakes that made the box score, but also threw three would-be INTs, two of which were completely on him, the third should have been caught, but may have benefitted from more touch - I'd have to watch again.  He also netted the least passing yards against Jacksonville all season and was 94.5 below the season average.

If he plays this way next week, what do you imagine happens?

• Upvote 4

49 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I would have still wanted us to trade Darnold.  It didn’t have to be an either/or situation.

It was widely reported that teams were offering a 1st for Sam. But no, JD HAD to wait until Zach's pro day before he'd make a decision on Sam. And what happened - the QB market dried up and he was lucky to get the 2nd and 4th.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Berrios, Wilson, and Carter made the plays that won this game today. Meanwhile, sunshine threw the ball into the ground on 3rd and goal from the 1. 

That was absolutely a mistake, but, come on, be honest, if Wilson did that, the majority of people would (maybe rightly?) blame the coaching staff.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Guess which QB (or team) threw for the least amount of yards against Jacksonville all season?  Nearly 100 yards below their average yards allowed.  And with their best pass rusher sidelined.

Zach Wilson threw for more TDs against the Jags than Kyler Murray, Josh Allen, and Carson Wentz combined. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Big_Slick said:

It was widely reported that teams were offering a 1st for Sam. But no, JD HAD to wait until Zach's pro day before he'd make a decision on Sam. And what happened - the QB market dried up and he was lucky to get the 2nd and 4th.

Ehhhh if there is 1 thi g we know about Joe Douglas is that he doesn't lose trades. I'm very skeptical on this "report" given the track history. Seems more like we were fluffing our stock.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don’t know why people consider him to be funny.  

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

Man he is the worst I swear, and his damn ads are in every single bus in Indianapolis I swear.

He will forever be tied to that crapstorm of a uniform reveal. Amazingly both the highlight AND the lowlight of his career. 

Living entirely off his first season of Curb, which was great.  Since then... ugh.

• Upvote 3

Just now, ZachEY said:

Living entirely off his first season of Curb, which was great.  Since then... ugh.

Random thought, but watch the documentary "Long Shot" on Netflix. 

Curb your Enthusiasm and Larry David literally saved a man from going to prison through sheer happenstance. 

It's only an hour but holy hell. 

16 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Maybe they’re not hiding the qb, but rather, trying to overcompensate for having no weapons.

Three things:

1. Agreed, since when is running the football a lot hiding the QB? We threw it 22 times, this wasn't what Bellicheck did with Mac Jones in the three attempt game. We ran the ball for 273 yards! It worked. 

When you are running the ball down someone's throat you keep doing it until they stop you. If they'd gone away from it this board would have been livid. 

2. We moved the ball well all game and if not for horrible coaching decisions not taking short fgs we would have been up comfortably most of the game. This is the Shanahan offense from SF and what I expected us to do from the start of the season running behind Becton and Vera Tucker. Whenever we see Mekhi back and esp if we get a quality C in the draft, I expect us to do this a lot under Lafleur. Then if we get a TE...

3. McDermott's wasnt a trick play. He was the third or fourth option from how it was broken down in to the post conference and Zach took it after oncoming pass rushers took away the other side of the field. To call that a trick play is cynical - he wasn't intended to be the target at the snap. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Agreed.  But I wouldn't call today "good."  I also never called today a condemnation of Zach.  I look at it as sort of a push.  He played with no help, but he also wasn't unproductive against a very bad team.  He had a nice run, made a few plays, limited his mistakes that made the box score, but also threw three would-be INTs, two of which were completely on him, the third should have been caught, but may have benefitted from more touch - I'd have to watch again.  He also netted the least passing yards against Jacksonville all season and was 94.5 below the season average.

Given the circumstances, I’ll take what was given today. ~200 yards, 2TDs, while missing his LG, C, RG, WRs 1, 2, 3, all while playing for a team who’s defense couldn’t stop a nosebleed.  The “should be” INTs were two tipped balls and a pass that should have been a catch by the guy we employ to be TE1.  I didn’t really see any egregiously bad decisions.

Did he light the world on fire?  Absolutely not.  Did I expect him too?  Absolutely not.  I fully expected him to sh*t his pants today.  That’s what this team has conditioned me to expect.  I was pleasantly surprised.

As for next week?  Again, context will be needed.  I’m hoping Elijah Moore and Crowder will be back to provide a much needed boost, but know that there is a chance that this doesn’t happen.  If they’re out and we’re looking at another game like today?  Well, and this might upset some, I’m going to give him a break.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Ehhhh if there is 1 thi g we know about Joe Douglas is that he doesn't lose trades. I'm very skeptical on this "report" given the track history. Seems more like we were fluffing our stock.

It was widely reported by multiple reputable sources that were literally quoting JD.

9 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Reliably informed Bucs are -17 next week vs. Jets. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Am I missing something? He scored more touchdowns than he had turnovers and didn't cost them the game. That's good by literally every measure we have. Dropped INT's are a useful number but we don't count them with INT's 1-to-1 for a reason. Played with no help is a vast understatement considering they were using a benched offensive lineman because they were completely out of end zone targets. Not to mention doing it all uphill against a backup head coach that couldn't decipher the grand mystery of when one should take an easy 3 while playing at home. A completely decontextualized comparative analysis isn't very useful if the guy isn't even playing with half a deck.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Three things:

1. Agreed, since when is running the football a lot hiding the QB? We threw it 22 times, this wasn't what Bellicheck did with Mac Jones in the three attempt game. We ran the ball for 273 yards! It worked. 

When you are running the ball down someone's throat you keep doing it until they stop you. If they'd gone away from it this board would have been livid. 

2. We moved the ball well all game and if not for horrible coaching decisions not taking short fgs we would have been up comfortably most of the game. This is the Shanahan offense from SF and what I expected us to do from the start of the season running behind Becton and Vera Tucker. Whenever we see Mekhi back and esp if we get a quality C in the draft, I expect us to do this a lot under Lafleur. Then if we get a TE...

3. McDermott's wasnt a trick play. He was the third or fourth option from how it was broken down in to the post conference and Zach took it after oncoming pass rushers took away the other side of the field. To call that a trick play is cynical - he wasn't intended to be the target at the snap. 

Nothing wrong with running the ball. Reminder of JAX OC Brian Schottenheimer,  inexplicably with a 2nd half lead, deciding to turn Sanchez into Darryl Lamonica vs. a Tebow/Broncos team such Mike Pettine had to be restrained from kicking his ass. Would still like to see Wilson do a lot more passing, but get you don't get away from something that's working. 

Desperately need a good pass-catching TE. 

1 minute ago, Big_Slick said:

It was widely reported by multiple reputable sources that were literally quoting JD.

I mean, yea, I'd be saying we had first round offers too if I were the GM. I'd love to know which team was offing a 1st for Sam prior ro Zach's Pro Day but decided not to after. It feels like that doesn't add up.

So I watched all of Wilson's throws against Jacksonville. He absolutely looks better than he did earlier in the year. He got the ball out fast and was generally accurate. Yes, Jacksonville sucks, but that is who he played today. I think you can win games with what you saw today if you have a very good running game and a very good defense. I'm still not convinced you can win games because of him, but you might be able to win games with him as long as he plays like today and everything else around him is very good. That's not worth spending the second overall pick on, but it is what it is at this point. Hopefully he keeps it up against better defenses the next 2 weeks. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Given the circumstances, I’ll take what was given today. ~200 yards, 2TDs, while missing his LG, C, RG, WRs 1, 2, 3.  The “should be” INTs were two tipped balls and a pass that should have been a catch by the guy we employ to be TE1.  I didn’t really see any bad decisions.

Did he light the world on fire?  Absolutely not.  Did I expect him too?  Absolutely not.  I fully expected him to sh*t his pants today.  That’s what this team has conditioned me to expect.  I was pleasantly surprised.

As for next week?  Again, context will be needed.  I’m hoping Elijah Moore and Crowder will be back to provide a much needed boost, but know that there is a chance that this doesn’t happen.  If they’re out and we’re looking at another game like today?  Well, and this might upset some, I’m going to give him a break.

There's that perspective issue/lowering the bar though.  He did do much better than sh*tting his pants, yes.  It also wasn't an impressive QB performance.  My take isn't an extreme one here, though a few smooth brains want to paint it as such.  It's simply that today doesn't move the needle on Zach Wilson.  It was an okay performance with a ravaged team vs. a terrible team also without meaningful players.

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Am I missing something? He scored more touchdowns than he had turnovers and didn't cost them the game. That's good by literally every measure we have. Dropped INT's are a useful number but we don't count them with INT's 1-to-1 for a reason. Played with no help is a vast understatement considering they were using a benched offensive lineman because they were completely out of end zone targets. Not to mention doing it all uphill against a backup head coach that couldn't decipher the grand mystery of when one should take an easy 3 while playing at home. A completely decontextualized comparative analysis isn't very useful if the guy isn't even playing with half a deck.

Earlier you said today he flashed that he "might be average."  If I accept that as true, I'd also call that a disappointment.  Again, I'm not denying the circumstances of today.  I'm simply disagreeing that anything from today changes anything.  I don't think it should have anyone feeling any worse about Wilson, but it also shouldn't have anyone feeling any better.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

I mean, yea, I'd be saying we had first round offers too if I were the GM. I'd love to know which team was offing a 1st for Sam prior ro Zach's Pro Day but decided not to after. It feels like that doesn't add up.

JD announced he was not even taking calls about Sam until after Zach's pro day so he 'could watch the ball come out of Zach's hand' up close and personal.

I'm not going to go back and research the reported offers - so you can have your version of events and I'll have mine.

29 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Maybe they’re not hiding the qb, but rather, trying to overcompensate for having no weapons.

Jacksonville wasn’t exactly trotting upper echelon talent out there on offense.  Laquon Treadwell was their WR2 and I believe they were missing a couple key OL as well.  They still opted not to go ultra conservative. 

4 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

There's that perspective issue/lowering the bar though.  He did do much better than sh*tting his pants, yes.  It also wasn't an impressive QB performance.  My take isn't an extreme one here, though a few smooth brains want to paint it as such.  It's simply that today doesn't move the needle on Zach Wilson.  It was an okay performance with a ravaged team vs. a terrible team also without meaningful players.

Earlier you said today he flashed that he "might be average."  If I accept that as true, I'd also call that a disappointment.  Again, I'm not denying the circumstances of today.  I'm simply disagreeing that anything from today changes anything.  I don't think it should have anyone feeling any worse about Wilson, but it also shouldn't have anyone feeling any better.

HATER

• Haha 1