Terrible meaningless win ughhh!!

Rhg1084

Just now, Jet Nut said:

And you’re wrong unfortunately.  I don’t get the ZW not only has to win but he has to perform at some level for it to count.  How many open WRs not named Barrios did you see?  How many dropped balls did he have by WRs not named Barrios?  

We can disagree.  Its not a big deal.  

Just now, Jet Nut said:

What does it deprive of us?  Who is it that you just have to have today in aprils draft that you’re so damn sure we won’t have a shot at in December?  Fans do this same dumb dance crying about who we lost out on because we’re the Jets and somehow you believe we win games every December that costs us draft picks.  

Exactly….  So we lose for the one year wonder with Hutchinson or the injury prone Thibodeaux?  Both could be great but this not a Myles Garret compare.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What does it deprive of us?  Who is it that you just have to have today in aprils draft that you’re so damn sure we won’t have a shot at in December?  Fans do this same dumb dance crying about who we lost out on because we’re the Jets and somehow you believe we win games every December that costs us draft picks.  

I mean, in retrospect, if we had won a couple more games in 2020 and lost out on Zach Wilson, would anyone really be that upset right now?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Butterfield said:

Barely 100 yards passing against the worst team in the league.  

How many players were missing today?  
The Jets put the worst team in the NFL on the field today.  The Jets on the field were not the worst team in the NFL.  Sorry, doesn’t work

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, OMA said:

Exactly….  So we lose for the one year wonder with Hutchinson or the injury prone Thibodeaux?  Both could be great but this not a Myles Garret compare.  

Or by the time of the draft, after the combine, Bowl games, interviews etc out all turns upside down

1 minute ago, BloodGreen said:

In 2005 we beat Buffalo in the final game of the season giving us a 4-12 record. New Orleans and Tennessee both lost in the final week, giving them picks 2 and 3 in 2006 draft. So we fell to the 4th pick in 2006. Saints and Titans picked Reggie Bush and Vince Young, we drafted D’Brickashaw Ferguson at 4. I’d say that meaningless win worked out pretty well for us.

Ok that’s a good one.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Zach looks great against a franchise that's potentially even more inept than we are. 

And you’re mad about it.  
Damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t.  
lets face it, ZW plays well you and a large portion of the board have nothing to tag on about.  That would suck, you and the crew have been so insightful for the rest of us.  

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

And you’re mad about it.  
lets face it, ZW plays well you and a large portion of the board have nothing to tag on about.  That would suck, you and the crew have been so insightful for the rest of us.  

Very true 

4 minutes ago, OMA said:

Looks looked in on those two guys but I’ll take two top ten picks and two top in 2nd round to add more talent.  Ol, dl, lb, cb..  

If we tale a DL in the first 2 rounds I will club a baby seal in front of PETA. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1) Because even though there’s a lot of young talent on this team, a very large % of the roster won’t be back next year.  It’s still a bad team so turnover will be high.  

2) Due to the COVID impact, many of the guys who played TODAY won’t even be in the NFL next year, much less Jets. So it’s even less meaningful than other December Jets wins in lost seasons.

3) There’s no “carryover effect”.  Today was just a lot of bad football where neither team looked good at really any point.  These wins don’t build for the future.  They get quickly forgotten.

So even if you want to argue that draft positioning is meaningless (it’s not), there’s no tangible benefit to todays win.  We learned very little about the team and especially very little about Wilson. 

Oh FFS to all of this 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BloodGreen said:

In 2005 we beat Buffalo in the final game of the season giving us a 4-12 record. New Orleans and Tennessee both lost in the final week, giving them picks 2 and 3 in 2006 draft. So we fell to the 4th pick in 2006. Saints and Titans picked Reggie Bush and Vince Young, we drafted D’Brickashaw Ferguson at 4. I’d say that meaningless win worked out pretty well for us.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA.  End thread!

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

And you’re mad about it.  

The ideal scenario would’ve been for Zach to play great but the jets still lost.  Instead we won a game with a kick return TD plus our QB getting a big run even though that’s not really a core part of his game (or shouldn’t be).  Plus, on that play, he basically took advantage of the Jags being afraid to get penalized for a late hit on the QB (since the league tries to be overprotective of QBs).

These are not the sorts of plays we’re going to build a foundation with.  And this was not the game we should’ve wanted “fool’s gold” in. A playoff game - sure.  But this game?!  No thanks. 

• Upvote 4
  • WTF? 1

A few random thoughts to add the conversation / carnage:

• We keep saying we want Zach to improve. He needs experience to improve. Experience comes from playing and succeeding. He isn't going to suck tremendously for 14 games then suddenly "ping, I'm a great QB". It just doesn't happen. Winning is the best sort of experience to build on. Just my opinion.
  • Zach was ripped apart for throwing all those INTs in his earlier games. He has thrown zero in the last 3 games, and only 2 in the last 5 (since his return from injury). Compare that to the 9 INTs in 6 games before his injury and ask ... is that "progress"? Is that "development"?
  • Carter had his first 100 yard rushing game this week. And he looked really good doing it - behind a second string O line and against a D that knew the Jets were running it anyway. You can almost smell the "Pepsi Zero Sugar". Good to see a foundational player continuing to step up and improve as the year goes on.

Lastly, on a personal note, the game was just what I needed to see, having tested positive yesterday for bloody Covid - it was crazy, it was wacky, it was entertaining, and it cheered me up when I needed it. Far from meaningless in my books. Think of all the fans, especially the kids, who attended the game and hopefully had a good time with their dads, making memories. Try to tell them that we should have lost because in 4 months time we could then draft a player who in 10 months time might make the team a bit better.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, jamesr said:

A few random thoughts to add the conversation / carnage:

• We keep saying we want Zach to improve. He needs experience to improve. Experience comes from playing and succeeding. He isn't going to suck tremendously for 14 games then suddenly "ping, I'm a great QB". It just doesn't happen. Winning is the best sort of experience to build on. Just my opinion.
  • Zach was ripped apart for throwing all those INTs in his earlier games. He has thrown zero in the last 3 games, and only 2 in the last 5 (since his return from injury). Compare that to the 9 INTs in 6 games before his injury and ask ... is that "progress"? Is that "development"?
  • Carter had his first 100 yard rushing game this week. And he looked really good doing it - behind a second string O line and against a D that knew the Jets were running it anyway. You can almost smell the "Pepsi Zero Sugar". Good to see a foundational player continuing to step up and improve as the year goes on.

Lastly, on a personal note, the game was just what I needed to see, having tested positive yesterday for bloody Covid - it was crazy, it was wacky, it was entertaining, and it cheered me up when I needed it. Far from meaningless in my books. Think of all the fans, especially the kids, who attended the game and hopefully had a good time with their dads, making memories. Try to tell them that we should have lost because in 4 months time we could then draft a player who in 10 months time might make the team a bit better.

Great Post!   Hope you are doing well!

I get the idea of better draft position and only beating the lowly Jags, but as fan since they were the original Titans i cannot bring myself to root for them to lose..........The Lions came within a eyelash of beating the Falcons which could have harmed their draft position.......The Texans walloped the Chargers to them not a meaningless game even though they could have damaged their draft position........The Jags came within a yard of losing the number one pick in a meaningless game to fans.......It is what teams do!

6 minutes ago, JetsMetsRangers said:

I get the idea of better draft position and only beating the lowly Jags, but as fan since they were the original Titans i cannot bring myself to root for them to lose..........The Lions came within a eyelash of beating the Falcons which could have harmed their draft position.......The Texans walloped the Chargers to them not a meaningless game even though they could have damaged their draft position........The Jags came within a yard of losing the number one pick in a meaningless game to fans.......It is what teams do!

No team is going to lose on purpose.  Blaming a team for not tanking is just ridiculous.  I mean we have two picks in the top 10 and 4 in the top 40.  Not sure why some are bitching , our draft position is really good 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The ideal scenario would’ve been for Zach to play great but the jets still lost.  Instead we won a game with a kick return TD plus our QB getting a big run even though that’s not really a core part of his game (or shouldn’t be).  Plus, on that play, he basically took advantage of the Jags being afraid to get penalized for a late hit on the QB (since the league tries to be overprotective of QBs).

These are not the sorts of plays we’re going to build a foundation with.  And this was not the game we should’ve wanted “fool’s gold” in. A playoff game - sure.  But this game?!  No thanks. 

We won, stop whining about how we won vs how we should have won.  Zach didn’t do a lot but made a lot of big games to win the game.  The idea that they won a game on a KR and a scramble play that you’ve decided isn’t something he should do is comical.  

• Upvote 1