Terrible meaningless win ughhh!!

Rhg1084

55 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I can be happy when we win or lose as long as I see a true foundation for the team going forward.  If Zach threw for 400 yards and 4 TDs I'd have been happy.  But a KR and fluky run (where the Defense gave up on the play) is not how we're going to win games in this league.  

It may have been a fluke, but Zack read the situation well, ran well, and even made a couple of moves. This is what you want out of your QB. Sure, maybe they tackle him at the 20, but it still would have been a big play and a 1st down - who knows what would have happened after that.

And, the Jets are always loosing to teams with fluky plays. Talking about a fluky play, the Jags scored a TD on a fumble forward into the end zone - yep they wrote that one up. Scoring on a fluke isn't a crime and it showed one thing many of us have been eating for - Zack to realize he was better off running. Are the Jets going to win 10 games a year that way, no. But, they are just as unlikely to have someone pull a fake punt in their own side of the field on their first possession of the game. BTW, a team giving up doesn't do that - a team with 2 wins trying to go to 3 wins does that.

But, they would loose 17 games a year if Zack doesn't progress and run when it is smart to run. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I can be happy when we win or lose as long as I see a true foundation for the team going forward.  If Zach threw for 400 yards and 4 TDs I'd have been happy.  But a KR and fluky run (where the Defense gave up on the play) is not how we're going to win games in this league.  

If you’re going to win in this league consistently there are a few things you need to learn to do.

beat teams you’re supposed to

win games ugly. No team looks great every Sunday

Special teams, the run game performing well, and a QB going off script and making a big play with his legs are good things, not bad.

This is pro ball. A win is a win. If you’re going to be disappointed when your team wins, you’re doing this wrong. As far as Wilson developing? I’m not sold on him, that’s for sure. I’m not going to knock him for yesterday though, he got the job done and I enjoyed watching him do it.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

It's funny, when he plays okay, it doesn't count as he didn't get the win. When he gets the win, it is about how he played. While I get the skepticism of Zack's future, I am not sold myself, they did win the game. More importantly, Zack helped win the game. Maybe not with his arm, but with his head and legs. Was it the White performance against Cincy, no, of course not, but he played reasonably well and the team won.

Add to that the people who criticize the Allen first year comparison because Allen ran way more are out there criticizing Wilson for a rushing TD.    

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Apparently, a big chunk of this board if you have been following along.

You want a competitive team that can play week in and week out, who wants to win and bring this team a super bowl.  UNLESS of course, it is too late in any given season, then you want the players to choose to tank so they can get a rookie to come in and save the team for next season, even though at any given time there are probably 8-15 players who won't even be on the team.

Sounds like a GREAT philosophy!

I never said they should tank.  I just don’t think it was an impressive win, and don’t think it was anything to be excited about.  

1 hour ago, Greensleeves said:

He was the highest rated QB all day leading up to the night game - not sure what Dak was rated - without his top 3 wideouts. Not sure what you are expecting, cause almost all the QBs were worse than Zach on the day.

Sorry, I’m just waiting for a top pick to show up.  Maybe it will happen, I just haven’t seen it yet.  

I have no problem with rooting for losses when it means that Gase is out the door and a top QB pick is on the horizon. I can't root for losses when we have a potential franchise QB and many of the players who we are riding with for the next five to ten years. I'm sure that EDGE 1 and EDGE 2 are spectacular players, but there are always guys who slip through the cracks and become franchise changing players. For every Nick Bosa that we miss out on by one pick, we also miss out on the Marcus Mariota types because of a "meaningless win." 

Trader Joe can and will move up if he feels that EDGE 1 and EDGE 2 are the guys. Lord knows we have enough draft capital to move up two or three spots. 

• Upvote 1

I think this win was worth the move down for Zach’s confidence, he beats the 1st pick, makes no major mistakes and a few highlight reel plays, and has shown some steady improvement this game.  He can build on this with confidence in the off season.  Hopefully the next two weeks he holds his own… super entertaining game, a rare occurrence as a fan of this team.

1 hour ago, Butterfield said:

I never said they should tank.  I just don’t think it was an impressive win, and don’t think it was anything to be excited about.  

Fair enough.  But what we want, like/dislike/get excited about/don't get excited about is irrelevant.  

The players themselves go out and try and win, and that is what you want.  If you have players who cash it in, those are the guys you don't want on your team.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

So do you think Zach should try to play like Lamar Jackson?

We won on 2 fluke plays.  If Zach was slinging the ball all over the place (even if we won) then I'd have been happy.  But we won with his legs and a KR.

We won.  You think we won on fluke plays, go ahead.  We won because we outplayed them IMO.  I don’t understand you that with only four wins you can’t just enjoy it for what it was instead of dissecting a win to the nth degree and to then point out why it really wasn’t enjoyable

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I’m with you on everything you’ve said, except this.

We we’re a 2 point favorite yesterday, and we’re picked to win by all four of the studio panel on nfl network.

The Jags weren’t at an advantage, they’re a bigger mess than we are.

I’m in agreement that they’rea mess.  But IMO, with all the COVID players out of the lineup we were at a disadvantage. Look how much time TL has to look over the field, wait for WRs to get free.  Then look at how rushed ZW was.  I think both were because of both our lines being hit with COVID. Plus who was Zach throwing to?   That’s all.  

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I’m in agreement that they’rea mess.  But IMO, with all the COVID players out of the lineup we were at a disadvantage. Look how much time TL has to look over the field, wait for WRs to get free.  Then look at how rushed ZW was.  I think both were because of both our lines being hit with COVID. Plus who was Zach throwing to?   That’s all.  

That’s fair, you’re certainly entitled to your opinion, and I could’ve worded my reply better.
I shouldn’t have used the word “disagree” in my post, because in truth I felt the same way you did. With all we were missing, I was surprised to see we were favored and all those analysts pick us.

• Upvote 1