For all the Mac Jones lovers

Bronx

15 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Not sure I agree. Zack had the highest upside and would also likely have 9 wins at this point if he was leading the Pats with the team they have.

Zach likely would not have won the job in TC against a veteran QB.  He would likely be on the bench for half the season on the Pats.  If you wanted upside the QB to take with the highest ceiling and lowest draft capital risk was Davis Mills.  He's much better than Zach and Lawrence right now and plays for a terrible team.  

• Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, Mo Lew said:

A sunk cost is a sunk cost. Accounting for previously wasted capital in any future decision is exactly what bad management does. 

JD has already proven he is willing to cut bait with bad picks.

He put Zuniga on the practice squad, he cut the first  QB he drafted and I'm almost certain Mims won't be on the team next year.

You need to give guys time to blossom, but sometimes it's just apparent and good management will move on.

• Upvote 4

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Mac Jones is still a rookie.  He's going to struggle on occasion.

He'll be fine and have a good career.  He'll be managed properly and he'll grow into the role and continue to get better.

With that said, I think the concerns of him being the next Brady are probably a bit over blown though.

I really do think the Bellichick has an overblown view of his role in making Brady great. He made Brady an excellent game manager and student of the game (aided by stealing Defensive signals), but Brady did the rest. Anything can happen, but my money is on Mac Jones not being the next brady, and for that matter, I don't think he will ever be considered a top 10 QB in the NFL. My hat is off to the kid for making the most of what little he has in QB skills.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I really do think the Bellichick has an overblown view of his role in making Brady great. He made Brady an excellent game manager and student of the game (aided by stealing Defensive signals), but Brady did the rest. Anything can happen, but my money is on Mac Jones not being the next brady, and for that matter, I don't think he will ever be considered a top 10 QB in the NFL. My hat is off to the kid for making the most of what little he has in QB skills.

Simply there isn't much evidence to suggest Jones is going to have anywhere near the career of Tom Brady. But he can be a very servicable starter. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Simply there isn't much evidence to suggest Jones is going to have anywhere near the career of Tom Brady. But he can be a very servicable starter. 

Needs couple years of the TB12 regimen. This place is full of fools if they think Bill hasn’t mentioned that to him. 

• Sympathy 1

48 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

JD has already proven he is willing to cut bait with bad picks.

He put Zuniga on the practice squad, he cut the first  QB he drafted and I'm almost certain Mims won't be on the team next year.

You need to give guys time to blossom, but sometimes it's just apparent and good management will move on.

Either way, JD looses. If he keeps him, it is because he drafted him highly; if he cuts him, it was a bad draft - so either way, the talk will be the same.

In reality, Mims was a roll of the dice. JD passed over him at the top of the second and couldn't pass on him again. His athletic gifts were too high to ignore, but he was a risk. Drafting a risk at the right spot isn't a bad draft as it is a risk. Unless Mims does something stupid, or the Jets happen to draft/sign 3-4 WRs, I think he gets another year or at least another training camp. I would guess this is his last one without showing something...

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He'll be fine and have a good career.  He'll be managed properly and he'll grow into the role and continue to get better.

With that said, I think the concerns of him being the next Brady are probably a bit over blown though.

What? Rookies - especially drafted in the first are supposed to be great the second they hit the field. 14 games in and a good QB should carry the team, make the WRs better and never throw a bad pass. Haven't you been reading the board? :-)

The only way Mac Jones would be considered a bust on this board is if the Jets drafted him. The only way a QB drafted by the Jets could be considered the next "fill in the blank" by this board is if he is sitting on the bench :-)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

The kid has an amazing  head for the game  and  a nice feel for the short passing game. Lacks the arm strength and or elite athleticism most FQB have. “ Time to say hello to Tom’s little friend!”

He's Chad Pennington pre-injury.

I'd be very happy to have Chad Pennington pre-injury level of quality playing for us right now.

• Upvote 2

Jones is probably a big game or two away from ROY, and he's had an excellent season overall (best amongst rookies by a long shot)..  Having said that, he's been terrible all month (in cold games), and there are definitely concerns about his arm strength.

In the last two games, there are 2, maybe 3 interceptions that were perfectly thrown balls..  Well timed..  Perfect accuracy..  Good decision.  But picks, b/c the ball simply didn't get there fast enough.  And that is not necessarily something that can be fixed easily.  You can improve arm strength a little (maybe 5-10%) but it does show that you do need some physical to be a good qb, particularly in december.

2 minutes ago, Hael said:

Jones is probably a big game or two away from ROY, and he's had an excellent season overall (best amongst rookies by a long shot)..  Having said that, he's been terrible all month (in cold games), and there are definitely concerns about his arm strength.

In the last two games, there are 2, maybe 3 interceptions that were perfectly thrown balls..  Well timed..  Perfect accuracy..  Good decision.  But picks, b/c the ball simply didn't get there fast enough.  And that is not necessarily something that can be fixed easily.  You can improve arm strength a little (maybe 5-10%) but it does show that you do need some physical to be a good qb, particularly in december.

Same as Chad, I bet we hear every offseason how "Mac Jones was really working on his arm strength and velocity by crushing the weight room".

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'd be very happy to have Chad Pennington pre-injury level of quality playing for us right now.

Yeah, but Chad wouldn't. LOL

Certainly better than what we have now. Zach is honestly a mess right now. Cute feel good game but the  kid still has so far to go I honestly don't see him getting close to what we were all hoping for.  Just like Pennington the team surrounding Mac will need to literally be loaded with talent on both sides of the ball to win it all. Or maybe Cheating? I guess Mac is in the right place. 

if I had to choose between Mac or Zach right now I'd honestly choose neither.  See very little chance of either of them taking a team all the way and see no chance of either of them taking this disaster of a franchise anywhere close. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

For perspective:

Josh Allen, 2018 QBR:  67.9

Zach Wilson, 2021 QBR: 67.9

Mac Jones, 2021 QBR: 90.2

Jones has the advantage of playing for the best NFL head coach in the history of the game, after playing for a guy with pretty much the same status among college teams during his college career.  He's also playing with one of the most experienced and successful offensive coordinators in the game.  There was every reason to believe he'd be maximized early on.

Josh Allen has the physical tools to be elite, and his experience and coaching staff has allowed him to do just that.

Zach Wilson is in the same situation Josh Allen was a few years ago, but we don't yet know (and won't know) if both he and the coaching staff are capable of growing his performance to elite levels.

If the Jets get some more o-line help and a true #1 receiver, they have all the pieces needed to not hold Wilson back, assuming the coaching staff does it's job.

I would argue the 2022 draft is the most important one for the Jets since 2018.

On 12/26/2021 at 5:52 PM, rtnelson said:

I think this is fairly accurate.  They would have guided him along dinking and dunking just like they did with Mac.  But when they needed the bigger plays he has the arm to do it.  Coaching, culture, and talent around you is almost everything in a rookie QB's first year.  Even the most casual of NFL fan knew that Mac Jones had the best situation the moment he was picked.

or people that know anything at all about football...

o

7 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Yeah, but Chad wouldn't. LOL

Certainly better than what we have now. Zach is honestly a mess right now. Cute feel good game but the  kid still has so far to go I honestly don't see him getting close to what we were all hoping for.  Just like Pennington the team surrounding Mac will need to literally be loaded with talent on both sides of the ball to win it all. Or maybe Cheating? I guess Mac is in the right place. 

if I had to choose between Mac or Zach right now I'd honestly choose neither.  See very little chance of either of them taking a team all the way and see no chance of either of them taking this disaster of a franchise anywhere close. 

You must have some sort of axe to grind or just don't know what to look for in a young QB. The kid has immense talent, but that doesn't mean he should torch a team when you can run the ball at will and you're without your top 3 wideouts and the other guys can't catch and run the wrong routes. It's a team game and Zach had the highest QBR yesterday going into the night game - without half his line and his top 3 wideouts AND his head coach. Despite all of that, he throws for a TD, almost rushes for a 100 yards, and some SOJF call him a mess. He will probably win his 3rd rookie of the week award (if Carter doesn't win it this week). He also has elite arm strength. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

o

You must have some sort of axe to grind or just don't know what to look for in a young QB. The kid has immense talent, but that doesn't mean he should torch a team when you can run the ball at will and you're without your top 3 wideouts and the other guys can't catch and run the wrong routes. It's a team game and Zach had the highest QBR yesterday going into the night game - without half his line and his top 3 wideouts AND his head coach. Despite all of that, he throws for a TD, almost rushes for a 100 yards, and some SOJF call him a mess. He will probably win his 3rd rookie of the week award (if Carter doesn't win it this week). He also has elite arm strength. 

Got to appreciate the your either dumb or an inherently bad person if you don’t see what I see lead. For  the record? Your a mess too. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

There won’t be another Brady, so yea. 

I'll echo the comments that he seems very Pennington-like as a player. If he avoids injury he probably has a long career as a game manager-type that might not win the big game but can get close. He's a rookie so like Wilson he has a lot of opportunity to get better (or worse). He came out of the most NFL ready college roster playing for a coach that Belichick borrowed from for his own offense so you would expect Jones to do ok in NE. As long as NE keeps the air of a desirable place to play they can surround him with good players and remain a competitive team.

19 hours ago, Hael said:

Mac Jones has been exposed.

His skill set does not translate to deep playoff runs in the Northeast.

Our guy is trending Up.  If some hate hearing that, that’s ok.  Also, most importantly, with his Arm and now you’ve seen the Wheels, he can, to steal a line from I think it was the first “Rocky”, where his Trainer tells him “You can become a Very Dangerous Poy-son”....Mac Jones doesn’t have ANY of that.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, rbstern said:

For perspective:

Josh Allen, 2018 QBR:  67.9

Zach Wilson, 2021 QBR: 67.9

Mac Jones, 2021 QBR: 90.2

Jones has the advantage of playing for the best NFL head coach in the history of the game, after playing for a guy with pretty much the same status among college teams during his college career.  He's also playing with one of the most experienced and successful offensive coordinators in the game.  There was every reason to believe he'd be maximized early on.

Josh Allen has the physical tools to be elite, and his experience and coaching staff has allowed him to do just that.

Zach Wilson is in the same situation Josh Allen was a few years ago, but we don't yet know (and won't know) if both he and the coaching staff are capable of growing his performance to elite levels.

If the Jets get some more o-line help and a true #1 receiver, they have all the pieces needed to not hold Wilson back, assuming the coaching staff does it's job.

I would argue the 2022 draft is the most important one for the Jets since 2018.

Bill Walsh was the best HC of the post merger era and it's not close.   He reinvented NFL offense and fielded great defensive teams during the same period.  He's coaching tree blows BB away.   He's tree produced Multiple SB winners vs trash at the NFL level.  

22 hours ago, Warfish said:

I agree, although I think he’s Chad pre-Raiders playoff game. That was the real beginning of the end for Pennington, pre- injury. Raiders had him figured out. If Mac Jones can’t materially improve his arm strength over the next year or two, he could be in for a similar fate. Seems like that’s already recently started happening. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Mac Jones has been exposed.

His skill set does not translate to deep playoff runs in the Northeast.

Our guy is trending Up.  If some hate hearing that, that’s ok.  Also, most importantly, with his Arm and now you’ve seen the Wheels, he can, to steal a line from I think it was the first “Rocky”, where his Trainer tells him “You can become a Very Dangerous Poy-son”....Mac Jones doesn’t have ANY of that.

Our forum’s honorary namesake would be proud. Zach already has four more career rushing TDs than Ken O’Brien. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, slats said:

I agree, although I think he’s Chad pre-Raiders playoff game. That was the real beginning of the end for Pennington, pre- injury. Raiders had him figured out. If Mac Jones can’t materially improve his arm strength over the next year or two, he could be in for a similar fate. Seems like that’s already recently started happening. 

You rang? 

E844E446-208A-4234-BCDE-EE30146692E5.png

23 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

This is where this place gets stupid…. Threads like this.

Jones is having a really good rookie year, he’ll probably finish second in ROY (Parsons has it locked up). He’s a better player than Wilson right now… you can argue all you want about ceilings, but he just is.

If Zach played half as well this year, we’d be ecstatic, but we won and they lost yesterday, so the clowns are coming out for victory laps.

Let’s worry about our guy getting better, and JD hitting on his draft picks. This offseason’s draft and Zach’s growth will determine whether or not we’ll compete in the next 3 years. 
Like it or not, Jones and the Patriots are going to be one of the teams we have to catch up to.

Threads like this is why Jets fans have the reputation they do. It’s embarrassing

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Certainly a possibility, aye.  Limited arm strength (or pass velocity) is a big liability against the inhuman athleticism of NFL DB's, no question.

With that said, I'd also expect Jones to improve in other areas (like everyone here says Wilson will), including his timing, decision making, audibling, reading Pro D's, etc.

Improvement in those other areas will help offset the league from just teeing off on him due to limited arm strength to some degree.

Only time will tell.  His likely ROTY first season is one he and the Pats can build on.

On 12/26/2021 at 4:47 PM, Bronx said:

Nice job today.

Screenshot_20211226-174439_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e14dbd4ce239e54aff50711bea65a004.jpg

Games a lot different when you’re not playing with the advantage of a lead.  
Can’t wait to see him play on a Pats team that isn’t one of the NFLs better teams and they need him to provide points

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Certainly a possibility, aye.  Limited arm strength (or pass velocity) is a big liability against the inhuman athleticism of NFL DB's, no question.

With that said, I'd also expect Jones to improve in other areas (like everyone here says Wilson will), including his timing, decision making, audibling, reading Pro D's, etc.

Improvement in those other areas will help offset the league from just teeing off on him due to limited arm strength to some degree.

Only time will tell.  His likely ROTY first season is one he and the Pats can build on.

I’m certainly not counting him out. Brady was a little soft in the arm when he first got on the field, too. Seems like Belichick is bringing Jones along the same way, only faster. I wonder if Tom left any of that TB12 super-juice lying around… 

• Haha 1