Game Observations (JAX)

KRL

42 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I agree that Berrios could be a full time slot WR.   He has good hands, is quick after the catch and has a toughness that the rest of the WR group simply doesnt.  Mims should be embarrassed to show his fact at the facility at this point.

I think Coleman would be an excellent 3rd RB but JD needs to find a backup to carter - someone like Robert Jones would be an excellent complement to carter and RB is a position you can pay for in FA so that you dont need to use a draft pick on someone.

I really like Kroft as the 2nd TE and hopefully we can find a starter in the draft. 

Defensively its great that we were able to get all these young CBs game experience and Hall can be a real "#1" in this defense as but Saleh needs to figure out how to fix the run defense.  Guys like Phillips and Foley are excellent run stoppers and have been really marginalized in this defense which has to be fixed. 

I agree with most of this, except...

I do not want to "pay" at RB.  A free agent RB is fine, especially if it is a rotational guy that is stuck behind somebody, but actually paying for one?  Like we did with Bell?  **** that.  Hell I don't want to really pay any.  I think you draft them and then you ride them and dump them.  They don't last as long as other positions and can be good out of the gate.  Look at the 49ers.  They drafted Sermon in the 3rd, but they followed that up with Elijah Mitchell who has been pretty damned good in the 6th.   

I think they have a plan for the run D.  I'm not sure we will like it, but I think they play to stop the pass and can scheme against the run okay when the time comes. The last couple of weeks we have seen some stops at the goal, they can probably stop the run when they know it is coming, but otherwise they are about stopping the pass.  That is one reason I am less enamored with our corners being allegedly shut down or high rated by PFF.  Hall in particular.  I see him getting beat in one on one fairly regularly.  As they fill out the roster, I think they will flow to the ball better and things will improve.  

Not sure what this means for Fatukasi, but Phillips is an RFA that I assume they will tender.  I like Fatukasi, but he may be worth more to someone else than to us.  

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I do not want to "pay" at RB.  A free agent RB is fine, especially if it is a rotational guy that is stuck behind somebody, but actually paying for one?  Like we did with Bell?  **** that.  Hell I don't want to really pay any.  I think you draft them and then you ride them and dump them.  They don't last as long as other positions and can be good out of the gate.  Look at the 49ers.  They drafted Sermon in the 3rd, but they followed that up with Elijah Mitchell who has been pretty damned good in the 6th.   

I think they have a plan for the run D.  I'm not sure we will like it, but I think they play to stop the pass and can scheme against the run okay when the time comes. The last couple of weeks we have seen some stops at the goal, they can probably stop the run when they know it is coming, but otherwise they are about stopping the pass.  That is one reason I am less enamored with our corners being allegedly shut down or high rated by PFF.  Hall in particular.  I see him getting beat in one on one fairly regularly.  As they fill out the roster, I think they will flow to the ball better and things will improve.  

Not sure what this means for Fatukasi, but Phillips is an RFA that I assume they will tender.  I like Fatukasi, but he may be worth more to someone else than to us.  

When I say "pay a RB" I mean more like give a Robert Jones $10 million over 3 years, definitely NOT a Leveon Bell type deal

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

At the time he was a steal, maybe.  But maybe other teams had red flags on him, which explains why he dropped.  And also why we traded out of the first draft slot without taking him.  Maybe we got cute and talked ourselves into drafting him when he fall after our trade out.  Sometimes it’s worth over drafting a player you are super confident in than convincing yourself you got a steal when a guy dropped even after you traded out.  

All of JD's first four picks in 2020 were very physically gifted guys, potential high ceiling but low floor guys either because they were raw (Becton, Davis), of questionable effort (Mims) or had an injury history (Zuniga).  You're gonna whiff on guys like that sometimes...maybe most of the time.  As of right now, all four of them have been disappointments to some extent. Mims and Zuniga look like total busts.

Maybe b/c of Covid JD was not able to vet Mims enough.  He did fall in the draft despite his tools...so there had to be concerns about him.

In 2021, it seems like JD picked much more "polished" players in AVT and Moore.  Zach Wilson is another boom bust type guy...hopefully he'll pan out, but he's got a long way to go.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, bgivs21 said:

I wouldn't rule us out just yet. Jax needs o-line help in the worst way and Cam Robinson was playing on the franchise tag this year. It's possible he's gone and they need a LT, and Neal would be there for the taking. 

The Lions/Texans could potentially take a QB (or another team falls in love and they trade up for one). Which would potentially give us one of Thibodeaux or Hutchinson. 

That's a total dream scenario.  Unfortunately the Texans rookie QB has looked good and I think they stick with him.  But yeah Jax needs an OT BADLY.  

Realistically I think our #4 pick (barring a trade down) comes down to Neal or Stingley, maybe Karlaftis.  Can't wait to start this off season. 

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Sign Barnette from the Eagles, Draft Karlaftis at #4 and Linderbaum or a WR (Garrett) at #6. I would prefer a trade down but sometimes just need to take the players you want when your OTC. Either of those 3 should make excellent pros.

I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat.  I really think that C is the most underrated position on the OL.  Linderbaum is supposedly the best prospect at that position in a long time, and McGovern could slide to RG and improve two spots on the line at once.  JT might choose to take an OT in the first two rounds, though, instead of C.  The draft supposedly is deep at OT.

Edge, C, WR/TE, LB/CB would be a nice first four picks.  Jets need a young OT, too, with Becton such a huge ??.  Maybe round 3 or 4 to take a developmental guy?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Unless something drastic takes place it looks like we'll be picking #4 which
would probably take us out of Hutchinson & Thibodeaux.  When Michigan plays 
Georgia keep an eye on Hutchinson's running mate David Ojabo.  His frame
looks like he would fit as a 4-3 DE:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/4426507/david-ojabo

I think he is a definite sleeper there pending his testing numbers

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, KRL said:

Normally with another season down the drain I would be more concerned with
draft position than a win.  But it looks like the Jets are going to have
four picks within the first 50 selections, so if Joe Douglas can't improve
this roster shame on him.  So I'm glad the Jets beat JAX 26-21 and "doubled"
their win total from last year, but with two bad teams and so many players
missing there's not a ton to analyze:

Special Teams

- Braxton Berrios isn't and shouldn't be anything more than our #4/#5 WR
next year.  BUT he's an excellent returner who solidified a place on this
team with a 102 yard TD return yesterday.  On top of that credit to Berrios
for making tough catches over the middle and not having the case of the
"dropsies" that too many of our WR have.

Defense

- Nothing was impressive about the defensive effort.  I know Quinnen Williams
and John Franklin-Myers didn't play but there was no pass rush which enabled
Trevor Lawrence all day to throw.  The run defense was mediocre (31 rushes / 
132 yards) and CJ Mosley dropped a game ending INT which almost became the game
losing TD.  Looking forward I want the DE spot reconfigured, Carl Lawson needs
to come back healthy and I want Bryce Huff kept.  After that two high draft picks
have to be used on pass rushers.  With those moves I would rotate Lawson, Franklin-
Myers, Draft Pick, Draft Pick and Huff at DE.  And to get as many pass rushers
on the field I would kick Franklin-Myers inside to DT on passing downs.  Without
big time talent and constant pressure from the front four this defense will be
continually picked apart.

Offense

- Fantastic commitment to the running game and excellent production (36 rushes /
273 yards).  But if they do it against TB and/or BUF I'll be more impressed.
Michael Carter continues to demonstrate elite "contact balance" and explosion as
he generated 118 yards on 16 rushes.  And don't be surprised that we aren't seeing
Ty Johnson anymore after his 3 drop fiasco a couple of games ago.  I didn't think
it was possible but I could see Tevin Coleman being brought back next year (14
rushes / 57 yards) when healthy he hits the hole quickly and shows good speed.

- How sad is this stat, Conor McDermott had more catches, yards and TD's than Denzel
Mims and Jeff Smith combined (1/1/1 to 0/0/0).  We either need to sign a free agent
WR or draft one high.

QB

- Zach Wilson was in "game manager" mode which didn't generate much in the way of stats
(14/22, 102 yards, TD).  But credit to him for displaying good judgment on when to leave
the pocket, as Wilson generated 91 yards on 4 rushes and a TD.  Baby steps to be sure and
I still have questions about whether he can be a franchise QB.  Let's see what Wilson
does against two playoff teams (TB & BUF) who are fighting for seeding.

Great write up as always and thank you for doing this over the years. 

I try not to get caught up in the "franchise" definition when describing young high draft pick qb's.  To me,  I just look at the player in general and ask if we can build a team with this qb and so far the answer is yes.  He displays leadership, obvious arm talent, clear athleticism,  intelligence and he's coach-able. All traits that you need in your starting qb right? Now its up to Douglas and the coaching staff to mold this young qb into something special. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, KRL said:

Let's see what Wilson
does against two playoff teams (TB & BUF) who are fighting for seeding.

You don't need to wait to have some idea of how badly the Jets will look against two very well coached teams with good rosters.

I can already tell you.

The Jets will look like the one of the worst teams in the league.  

No rocket science there. 

• Upvote 3

In the grand scheme of things, if you look at past drafts it is not like the Jets passed over that many good pass rushers.  If there is someone projected to be an impact EDGE when they pick, they need to pick him.  

This does feel like the draft where the Jets need more good players, so trading down should be on the table.    This team has so, so many needs, and I think the best team in the end will be the team that picks the best players regardless of position.  So I would:

• Extend Fant and McGovern if they are not hurt.  Maybe even McDermott.   Resign Moses or Trade Becton-whoever stays plays RT.
  • I think it is very important for 2022-2023 that the Jets sign a FA WR.   Maybe take a chance on Godwin.  
  • Sign a G, including LDT.  Feeney, GVR and Edoga go and need to be replaced.   Look for OL in the draft to back up and compete.
  • Sign at least one top S.  Set the market in comp.   Same thing with LB.  The other S and LB can be guys on the roster and draft picks. 
  • If they grade Karlaftis as an EDGE who can be very good on this team-take him.  
  • The second round could easily be WR and TE.  The third round could be LB, S, CB.  Fourth Round same plus RB.  
  • Rankins could get cut, and the Jets should look to add another IDL.  I am not seeing a 2nd contract for Quinnen.  Second contracts for DL are suckers bets.  Let him play out his fifth year option and have a plan to replace him-if we need him year 6 he can be franchised.  
  • I actually think the key to 2022 will be the players they are able to sign in FA and then perform.   If the Jets can add a starting WR, LB, G, S and TE in FA, this team is much better next year.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I think he is a definite sleeper there pending his testing numbers

I think Oregon guy could drop. There are some flags there. Will depends how he tests. Hutchinson feels like #1 unless a team falls for a QB.

Is the Bama receiver considered an elite guy? There will be other pass rushers who test well with production that should be considered. TJ Watt should have been a Jet if they ignored all the chalk and didn’t want either QB. Taking a safety in the top 5 would be insanity.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Phillyjet said:

At the time he was a steal, maybe.  But maybe other teams had red flags on him, which explains why he dropped.  And also why we traded out of the first draft slot without taking him.  Maybe we got cute and talked ourselves into drafting him when he fall after our trade out.  Sometimes it’s worth over drafting a player you are super confident in than convincing yourself you got a steal when a guy dropped even after you traded out.  

And that is fair.  It is also how we got Hall.

Talk about crappy timing.  First time GM, running your first NFL draft, and you have not been able to talk to, or meet, any of the players.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

This is true. At the time people were surprised that he fell to the 2nd round and were very happy to get him there. Now, with the 20/20 hindsight many are saying it's another JD wasted draft pick. It was a reasonable pick, especially with the state of our receivers but for some reason he just didn't work out. He has the physical tools. 

This is where getting to meet the players and talking to them help.  You can have all the physical traits any team could dream of; if you don't have it between the ears, you won't put it together.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

If that is your thinking, then the Jets should fall down to the lower half of the 1st round, build more draft capital, and look at guys like Drake London and Treylon Burks, or look at one of the top TE.  A top TE would do as much for this offense as a top tiered WR.  This is another draft that is deep with WR.  I am sure we will take one.  It is VERY unfortunate that Mims did not work out.  Its easy to say he was a wasted pick.  However, at the time, he was a steal.  Oh well.

Trading down would be fine.

6 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Good thoughts. I think Berrios could be the full-time slot guy. The defense blows whether Williams plays or not. Both first rounders used on pass rushers I' be fine with. It's the second most important position after QB. 

Tevin Coleman is a decent back, just always nicked up. Hard to commit anything to him.

Agree on Berrios being our starting slot WR since he is in the mold of Wayne Chrebet, and he is explosive at returning kicks. Crowder is likely gone. We can keep Cole as our #4 WR. So Moore is in an ideal world a number 2 if we get a true number 1 from the draft since they are hard to get in FA. Davis will be back but don't know that he would be a number 1. 

8 hours ago, section314 said:

Watching the game yesterday, we need to use  our two first rounders on a pash rusher and a #1 receiver. Anything else would be criminal.

Agree 1000%.  Davis is not a starting WR for a playoff team. There were better mid round

receivers in the last draft. QW doesn't play with effort of the league's better pass rushers.

Saleh pimping him as an All Pro is a disparagement of Jets fans intelligence and hurtful

to  building a playoff quality defensive line

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, KRL said:

Special Teams

- Braxton Berrios isn't and shouldn't be anything more than our #4/#5 WR
next year.  BUT he's an excellent returner who solidified a place on this
team with a 102 yard TD return yesterday.  On top of that credit to Berrios
for making tough catches over the middle and not having the case of the
"dropsies" that too many of our WR have.

Just curious why that thought on Berrios? Watching the highlights from yesterday's game, looks like he's tough as nails, sneaky quick (not sure how actually fast he is, just seems to get to where he needs to go), is often at the right place (ie - 3 and 10, he'll break his route at the sticks for the First down). He's shown more ability than a lot of the other starters this year. Curious what has you pushing him to basically a fringe receiver?

Not saying he'd be a 1st, but 3rd?

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

All of JD's first four picks in 2020 were very physically gifted guys, potential high ceiling but low floor guys either because they were raw (Becton, Davis), of questionable effort (Mims) or had an injury history (Zuniga).  You're gonna whiff on guys like that sometimes...maybe most of the time.  As of right now, all four of them have been disappointments to some extent. Mims and Zuniga look like total busts.

Maybe b/c of Covid JD was not able to vet Mims enough.  He did fall in the draft despite his tools...so there had to be concerns about him.

In 2021, it seems like JD picked much more "polished" players in AVT and Moore.  Zach Wilson is another boom bust type guy...hopefully he'll pan out, but he's got a long way to go.

I think this is a good observation.

I think JD is a bit of a home run swinger, takes a bit more chances on getting the high ceiling guys (even AVT - he traded two 3rds and a 1st for a guard)

I also think it's a bit of their philosophy.  Well, at least we've heard Saleh say things like most guys are all on a similar level except for the few real difference makers...

Big swings - but expect more strike outs than most.  

Feels like in the aggregate of the two years - he's doing okay.  

Next year will make or break this franchise - 4 picks in the top 40 is a big deal.

• Upvote 1

My favorite observation was the energy of the team. They showed real excitement when the offense made big plays. The locker room video of them amped up, and cheering when Saleh came on the screen, was encouraging.

Obviously it’s a disappointing season for fans, but it’s an extremely young inexperienced team. It was nice to see a positive locker room, considering we see turmoil in others. You see the Giants, Panthers, Jags, Browns and others have leaks, public call outs, tweets from players criticizing decisions. Gives me hope these young guys want to grow together 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I think JD is a bit of a home run swinger, takes a bit more chances on getting the high ceiling guys (even AVT - he traded two 3rds and a 1st for a guard)

I also think it's a bit of their philosophy.  Well, at least we've heard Saleh say things like most guys are all on a similar level except for the few real difference makers...

Next year will make or break this franchise - 4 picks in the top 40 is a big deal.

He needs to draft like he did this year, even better, We have so many holes and lack depth… Can’t always go for superstars, we need good players, football players, obviously in some positions we need the skill… Im hanging with JD, had some real bad luck with free agents and injuries…. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I saw an article written last year which basically justified JD’s 2020 picks, as if you were picking straight out of a Draft Guide.   That is basically what happened in 2020-someone picked out of a Draft Guide.  It was a mulligan year, but everyone still paid for it.  If 2022 looks like 2020, and we will know that at this time next year, JD should be gone. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, KRL said:

How sad is this stat, Conor McDermott had more catches, yards and TD's than Denzel
Mims and Jeff Smith combined (1/1/1 to 0/0/0).  We either need to sign a free agent
WR or draft one high.

Draft a WR in Round 2.

Elijah Moore, Corey Davis, Draft Pick, Keelan Cole/FA, Berrios should be the 5 WRs.

Crowder will walk and I've just about given up on Mims and Jeff Smith.  Question - What ever happened to Vyncint Smith? I thought he had potential WR4/5 to him.

We need a #1 WR. Would put Davis as the #2 where he belongs, Moore in the Slot as the #3.

Berrios is good depth and a special teamer but he isnt a starter. 

Cole/crowder/Mims will likely be gone so you need to draft/sign a few WR's to replace them. 

Crowder quietly leads the team in receptions. You need to replace that.

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

We need a #1 WR. Would put Davis as the #2 where he belongs, Moore in the Slot as the #3.

Berrios is good depth and a special teamer but he isnt a starter. 

Cole/crowder/Mims will likely be gone so you need to draft/sign a few WR's to replace them. 

Crowder quietly leads the team in receptions. You need to replace that.

I agree with this. I like Berrios a lot, but Moore should be the first guy to move to the slot when they go three wide. I could see them hitting the position in free agency for more of a sure thing. If not, they’ll need to use a high pick, quite possibly a first. It’s TE that they really need. I’d like to see one big free agent signing there, and another one drafted by the fourth or fifth round (and if they took one in the second, I wouldn’t be upset at all). 

21 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Agreed 100% w/ RB.   Whenever they've leaned on Johnson or Perine or let Walter get some run, they play well enough.  With the way Carter is playing, I'd throw another late rounder at it and be done with it.  Bring back Coleman cheap if you really want but it's not necessary at all. 

I was kind of surprised at the lack of change in the front 7 during the offseason but didnt really know what system they were going to install.  Still, I assumed they would have added some field general type w/ experience in the system who could help install ala Bart Scott and Jim Leonard for Rex.  Saleh didnt do that so it makes me think he felt he could install his system with what he inherited.  I have to wonder if he's second guessing that at this point because it just doesnt seem the like the LB'ers and DE's fit what need to be done up front for this to work.  The 49'ers look so different when they're on the field.  What Dan Quinn is doing with Dallas is ridiculous.  Obviously they have more talent but still, schematically, it's doesnt look the same at all.

I say all that to say, I have no idea what their trying to do on D but it's awful. 

• Upvote 1

I like Berrios a lot too but wouldn’t grossly overpay him. We made a mistake not re-signing Andre Roberts and could have signed him for less than Berrios will probably get. As for the Jax game we could have lost it. It was that close down to the last few plays. You take the W sure but look how we scored our points not via a sustained offense. If you want to compare Zach to Lawrence IMO Trevor more effective. 

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I like Berrios a lot too but wouldn’t grossly overpay him. We made a mistake not re-signing Andre Roberts and could have signed him for less than Berrios will probably get. As for the Jax game we could have lost it. It was that close down to the last few plays. You take the W sure but look how we scored our points not via a sustained offense. If you want to compare Zach to Lawrence IMO Trevor more effective. 

Lawrence was good between the 20s but couldn't put the ball in the endzone (and has 1 TD in the last 8 weeks). 

Both QBs had a 4th and goal at the goal line in the 4th quarter. One QB threw a TD pass and one didn't. 

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I like Berrios a lot too but wouldn’t grossly overpay him. We made a mistake not re-signing Andre Robert’s and could have signed him for less than Berrios will probably get. As for the Jax game we could have lost it. It was that close down to the last few plays. You take the W sure but look how we scored our points not via a sustained offense. If you want to compare Zach to Lawrence IMO Trevor more effective. 

Completely disagree. 

We could have easily blown them out too.  Jets missed two TD inside the 5.  See how that works?

If you're going to take one teams miss on 4th down inside the 5, you have to look at the others.  The Jets controlled this game on offense.  It was a very nice, if not explosive, job by Zach controlling the offense and doing what was needed.

The defense couldn't get ANY pressure on TL, with D-backfield filled with practice squad players and he still looked bad.

23 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Completely disagree. 

We could have easily blown them out too.  Jets missed two TD inside the 5.  See how that works?

If you're going to take one teams miss on 4th down inside the 5, you have to look at the others.  The Jets controlled this game on offense.  It was a very nice, if not explosive, job by Zach controlling the offense and doing what was needed.

The defense couldn't get ANY pressure on TL, with D-backfield filled with practice squad players and he still looked bad.

I didn’t see any potential for a blow out but we did leave 7 points on the field and only won by 5 with Jax at the 1 yard line and could have (should have) scored. You can’t get much closer than that. We scored one Td on Zach’s 52 yard run which is not sustained offense a great play but not the norm you won’t see that again maybe ever in his career. A Td on the Berrios run. And another Td on a pass to an offensive lineman. So I’ll take it but it was almost an L we won in spite of ourselves. 

• Thumb Down 1

12 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I didn’t see any potential for a blow out but we did leave 7 points on the field and only won by 5 with Jax inside the 5 and could have (should have) scored. We scored one Td on Zach’s 52 yard run which is not sustained offense a great play but not the norm you won’t see that again maybe ever in his career. A Td on the Berrios run. And another Td on a pass to an offensive lineman. So I’ll take it but it was almost an L we won in spite of ourselves. 

There was literally only one drive the entire game where they shouldn't have come away with points.  Their 2nd drive was a 3 and out.  That was the Jeff Smith drop on 3rd down which should have extended the drive.  I guess 2 if you want to count the kneel down.  The Wilson run came after they stared on the 9 and they had already traveled 40 yards on the drive before that play.  They came away with nothing after a 70 yard drive before the half and again on the ridiculous looking fake.  Passes to offensive linemen are okay for Parcells, but not Saleh?  That offensive lineman was an eligible receiver.  That makes him a TE.  Would you feel oh so much better if it were Yeboah? 

24 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

There was literally only one drive the entire game where they shouldn't have come away with points.  Their 2nd drive was a 3 and out.  That was the Jeff Smith drop on 3rd down which should have extended the drive.  I guess 2 if you want to count the kneel down.  The Wilson run came after they stared on the 9 and they had already traveled 40 yards on the drive before that play.  They came away with nothing after a 70 yard drive before the half and again on the ridiculous looking fake.  Passes to offensive linemen are okay for Parcells, but not Saleh?  That offensive lineman was an eligible receiver.  That makes him a TE.  Would you feel oh so much better if it were Yeboah? 

I’m happy with the outcome. You can over analyze any game and that’s what I’m doing. If Ws were things of beauty the Patriots would have zero rings. They took what they could get. I’m just saying  maybe the key play was the Trevor run along the sideline to the Jets 5. And then a 4 yard run to the 1. You can’t get any closer to losing a game you had in the grasp than that. But I’ll take it. 

• Upvote 1