Becton Thread from last season

Becton played pretty well for Adam Gase and packed it in when Saleh got here. Same with Mims. Good luck to Bobby Salads if he thinks he can make a living coaching 53 Braxton Berrioses.
I could coach 53 Braxton Berioses to the Suoer Bowl.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I forget that story(?) I remember some Bradway ****ery, but what did he do exactly?

https://www.espn.com.sg/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/299368/cornerstone-to-corner-crisis-post-revis-jets-mired-in-12-year-slump

In 2007, the New York Jets witnessed potential greatness at the University of Pittsburgh pro day. They fell so hard for Darrelle Revis that top scout Terry Bradway called the office before boarding his flight out of Pittsburgh and told the team's brass that they would have to trade up for the talented cornerback because there was no way he would last until the 25th pick.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/mike-tannenbaum-s-draft-mantra-quality-over-quantity

"Darrelle was a late-declaring junior," Tannebaum said. "There wasn't a lot of information on him, period. So when you watched the tape you just couldn't see him playing against great competition. So Terry Bradway [the Jets' former GM, then a scout] called me from the airport in Pittsburgh after Darelle's workout. We needed a corner terribly, and we had a first-round pick [No. 25]. He's telling me he's phenomenal. What a lot of people didn't realize about Darrelle is how strong he was. In addition, he had an unbelievable workout. His change of direction was incredible. So now you marry that with quickness and you have a Hall of Famer, obviously."

————————————

Mangenius DEBUNKED. 

13 hours ago, freestater said:

Terrible pick. Sets the franchise back. Joe Douglas ****ed up and the guy he passed on is likely to be a perennial pro-bowler and we're left trying to figure out where Big Raincheck *might* do best for three games next year. 

So JD effed up because Becton got injured? I guess following that logic the Bengals effed up taking Burrows who practically had a similar injury and missed most of last year. Dummies.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

If we can get him there I'm all for it.

Wouldn’t pick Linderbaum in the first round as I have concerns about him being a little lite at 290 and will get pushed around by d tackles that have 30-40 pounds on him   Second round for sure but not first round 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, genot said:

McGovern has played at a pro bowl level. Why use a high pick on a center,  when we have so many other needs?

1) McG has played ok, but not pro bowl level.

2) McG is a better guard than he is center. You can upgrade 2 positions with one guy.

3) If you have a chance to take a top prospect like Linderbaum and improve your o-line for 5-10 years you do it. I'm not saying take him in the top 10, I wouldn't because of positional value. But if you can trade into the mid-late first round either by trading one of the firsts and adding other picks or both of the seconds to move up, I think it makes sense.

4) Not only is Linderbaum a great prospect, he is a great scheme fit.

You don't pass on Kyle Pitts because you have a decent TE on the roster. You don't pass on Ja'Marr Chase because you have a decent WR on the roster. And you don't pass on Linderbaum because you have Connor McGovern on the roster.

https://saturdaytradition.com/iowa-football/pff-says-iowa-center-is-the-best-theyve-ever-graded/

Build a dominant o-line and you will have built a contender.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, genot said:

McGovern has played at a pro bowl level. Why use a high pick on a center,  when we have so many other needs?

I get we need a lot, and while he has played better since dumping GVR, the thought is that one player added at a low rookie salary is better than spending millions on a RG when we can just slide McGovern over to RG where he played even better for Denver. BTW, this wouldn't be a problem if we had drafted Creed Humphries last year like I wanted to.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

I get we need a lot, and while he has played better since dumping GVR, the thought is that one player added at a low rookie salary is better than spending millions on a RG when we can just slide McGovern over to RG where he played even better for Denver. BTW, this wouldn't be a problem if we had drafted Creed Humphries last year like I wanted to.

Keep McGovern at Center. We have a strong left side, with chemistry. Play Becton on the right side. Tackle or guard. When AVt was hurt and Roten was in there, our o-line was a problem. Not any more, when we're healthy. 

i really dont understand the negativity the way i didnt understand it for CJ Mosley at the time. Beckton is a 22 year old kid trying to grow into his potential as an all pro LT. And BTW he looked like the best tackle in that draft before GVR rolled up on him in week 1.

• Post of the Week 1

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I wanted CeeDee Lamb

Totally fair.  I'm not even sure that I wanted WIrfs, but I remember the constant tackle comparisons and the need was glaring.  I was just surprised at the amount of people shouting down talk that we should take Wirfs over Becton.  Becton had the lowest floor.  Weakest conference, least time on the radar, etc.  With Wirfs athletic profile, I don't see why Becton would have a higher ceiling, but I can certainly see his lower floor. 

The one that confused me was Thomas.  He started dropping during the process, but I felt like people were overthinking him.  Seemed like he'd be plug and play and certainly highest floor.  When last season started he looked the worst of the bunch, He has settled in and looks very good now.  I never really got a good feel for Wills, I didn't like him, but not for any good reason.  Just from reading draft profiles.  I loved the idea of Isaiah Wilson for the right side, but felt he was overdrafted.  He busted in Tennessee and Miami and now that his rap career fizzled is with the Giants.  If he takes things seriously they may have something there.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

i really dont understand the negativity the way i didnt understand it for CJ Mosley at the time. Beckton is a 22 year old kid trying to grow into his potential as an all pro LT. And BTW he looked like the best tackle in that draft before GVR rolled up on him in week 1.

Completely agree. 

It's fascinating to me how quickly this fanbase wants to give up on young players. Every young player has to immediately be great and have zero growing pains with no adversity, or he's a bust and a complete piece of sh*t. Just craziness.

This last decade of losing has mentally broken the fanbase. 

Becton was never good. He had an average/below average grade as a rookie from PFF, which is supported by the sacks allowed (7 or 9 depending on what source you use) and bottom of the pack in penalties. He missed parts of multiple games. And he got absolutely smoked every single day in training camp as a healthy second year player.

Fans were (and still are) enamored by his size. Too bad Joe Douglas was the one of them. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Becton was never good. He had an average/below average grade as a rookie from PFF, which is supported by the sacks allowed (7 or 9 depending on what source you use) and bottom of the pack in penalties. He missed parts of multiple games. And he got absolutely smoked every single day in training camp as a healthy second year player.

Fans were (and still are) enamored by his size. Too bad Joe Douglas was the one of them. 

Revisionist history. He had a fine rookie season - many considered him a pro-bowl snub.

Getting smoked in shorts in training camp is as meaningful as spring training stats.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

To belabor this point a little further, I challenge anyone to go back and look at what people were saying about Brick a year into his career. A lot of the geniuses in this fanbase thought he was over-drafted and would never be an above average left tackle after his rookie year. You have to let these guys learn how to be pros. 

There are obvious concerns over Becton's durability and ability to stay in shape and maybe he will eat himself out of the league, but the idea that his career is over here already is just loony tunes. Personally, if we do end up staying at #4 overall, I'd be tempted to just take Neal and move Becton to RT. Then take another guard or center later in the draft. We could potentially have an excellent OL after just one more offseason. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

I've been begging for a young stud C, too.  I think C is so underrated b/c a smart one can make important line calls for protection, etc., begin the "captain" of the OL.  McGovern is okay, but can easily slide to RG.  Do that, and the interior of the OL looks very strong going into next year. McGovern also has a knee injury now.  Supposedly minor like Becton's supposedly was, but you never know with knee injuries.

Linderbaum is the best C prospect in years.  That guarantees nothing, of course, but he could be the next Mangold for the Jets. I get not taking him with their first pick this year, but with the second 1st rounder, I'd do it in a heartbeat, even if that pick is in the top 10.  Quite a few mocks have him going in the top 10, FWIW.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

To belabor this point a little further, I challenge anyone to go back and look at what people were saying about Brick a year into his career. A lot of the geniuses in this fanbase thought he was over-drafted and would never be an above average left tackle after his rookie year. You have to let these guys learn how to be pros. 

There are obvious concerns over Becton's durability and ability to stay in shape and maybe he will eat himself out of the league, but the idea that his career is over here already is just loony tunes. Personally, if we do end up staying at #4 overall, I'd be tempted to just take Neal and move Becton to RT. Then take another guard or center later in the draft. We could potentially have an excellent OL after just one more offseason. 

Normally I'd be up for that, but Fant has looked pretty good in pass protection this year, and this year's draft is supposedly deep with OT, so they can wait.  They might consider extending Fant for LT.  Cross fingers on Becton for RT, and draft a young OT in round 2 or 3 to push Becton. They also might look into extending Moses if he'd resign for a reasonable deal.

The Jets need a young developmental swing OT, anyways, since Edoga is trash. 

If they do take Neal, that's fine. but I think I'd take the best Edge or CB on the board with the first pick, then maybe OL with the second...I'd take Linderbaum if he's there. There will still be nice OT prospects available in the 2nd round.

:-)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TheClashFan said:

Normally I'd be up for that, but Fant has looked pretty good in pass protection this year, and this year's draft is supposedly deep with OT, so they can wait.  They might consider extending Fant for LT.  Cross fingers on Becton for RT, and draft a young OT in round 2 or 3 to push Becton. They also might look into extending Moses if he'd resign for a reasonable deal.

The Jets need a young developmental swing OT, anyways, since Edoga is trash. 

If they do take Neal, that's fine. but I think I'd take the best Edge or CB on the board with the first pick, then maybe OL with the second...I'd take Linderbaum if he's there. There will still be nice OT prospects available in the 2nd round.

:-)

Yes, I have been on the edge bandwagon for some time. If the Jets think Karlaftis is the goods at 4, I won't complain at all. But if they don't think Karlaftis is worthy, don't reach. Take the blue chip tackle prospect. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Move Becton to RT next year. Simple as that. Fant has played amongst the best in the league with a QB that doesn’t have a clue behind him, he’s earned the job. Sign/draft depth at RT and be prepared when Becton misses 5 games when he chips a fingernail eating a bucket of ice cream.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Unfortunately this needs to be the plan, and it was basically the plan this year.  

4 hours ago, k-met57 said:

I disagree, he looked like the best tackle in the draft about half way through year one.

He then got hurt, tapped out of a couple of games, got nicked, his play fell of a bit.

Then in camp this year most reports had him getting totally destroyed on a daily basis.

Questions about durability an play cropped up at the end of last year, then he looked bad in camp then his 6-8 injury was season long.

The guy obviously still has a ton of potential but he is a worry going into next year.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, CSNY said:

Wouldn’t pick Linderbaum in the first round as I have concerns about him being a little lite at 290 and will get pushed around by d tackles that have 30-40 pounds on him   Second round for sure but not first round 

Doesnt factor into that much.  He's a tactician. Look at his film. He's an outstanding blocker and has gone up against much bigger guys.  And he's still just a kid. He will get bigger/stronger.

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Totally fair.  I'm not even sure that I wanted WIrfs, but I remember the constant tackle comparisons and the need was glaring.  I was just surprised at the amount of people shouting down talk that we should take Wirfs over Becton.  Becton had the lowest floor.  Weakest conference, least time on the radar, etc.  With Wirfs athletic profile, I don't see why Becton would have a higher ceiling, but I can certainly see his lower floor. 

The one that confused me was Thomas.  He started dropping during the process, but I felt like people were overthinking him.  Seemed like he'd be plug and play and certainly highest floor.  When last season started he looked the worst of the bunch, He has settled in and looks very good now.  I never really got a good feel for Wills, I didn't like him, but not for any good reason.  Just from reading draft profiles.  I loved the idea of Isaiah Wilson for the right side, but felt he was overdrafted.  He busted in Tennessee and Miami and now that his rap career fizzled is with the Giants.  If he takes things seriously they may have something there.

I’m surprised to read that you were an Isaiah Wilson guy. You liked the traits that much? I recall being very depressed about the Becton pick because whenever we take a “low floor…but HIGH CEILING!” guy, we always get the floor. Wirfs, imo, was safer, but I thought what Darnold always needed was a catch and run receiver to take some stress off of him. Becton flaking all the way out annoys me and I’m putting it all on Saleh. It’s on the coach to get guys like that to play hard unless they’re absolute Huey Richardson-style turds. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I’m surprised to read that you were an Isaiah Wilson guy. You liked the traits that much? I recall being very depressed about the Becton pick because whenever we take a “low floor…but HIGH CEILING!” guy, we always get the floor. Wirfs, imo, was safer, but I thought what Darnold always needed was a catch and run receiver to take some stress off of him. Becton flaking all the way out annoys me and I’m putting it all on Saleh. It’s on the coach to get guys like that to play hard unless they’re absolute Huey Richardson-style turds. 

I thought Wilson would drop and I liked the idea of a right side pairing with Damien Lewis.  That was more of a mock draft thing that for the Jets.  I didn't see Wilson as a first, but his early selection and bust both shocked me.  I thought Fant at LT and Wilson at RT would probably be okay, that would have allowed us to take Jeudy, Ruggs or Lamb.  Seems like Mims and Becton is about as bad as any of those pairings, but we wouldn't have gotten Wilson and would have been rolling with Ezra Cleveland (a G in Minny) or Josh Jones (a G in Arizona).

7 hours ago, k-met57 said:

He looked good on 2020, in 2021 all the way from OTA’s he looked ******* horrible.

2 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

He looked good on 2020, in 2021 all the way from OTA’s he looked ******* horrible.

2021 Plantar facciitis then dislocated knee, torn cartilage and surgery.

Or he's just a lazy fat slob.  

Kind of like Quninnen Williams.

Let's get third rounders for both of them.  

1 minute ago, Peace Frog said:

2021 Plantar facciitis then dislocated knee, torn cartilage and surgery.

Or he's just a lazy fat slob.  

Kind of like Quninnen Williams.

Let's get third rounders for both of them.  

In the end it doesn't matter why a guy is not playing.

Dee Milliner was a good CB he just had broken shoulders before, during and after.