JDs updated 2020 Draft Class

JTJet

Not a good class even if some of the guys come around. There’s still variability in the class though.

Hall: solid starter

Becton: bust to ok RT. I still have hope he can get past the injury issues. But right now, he’s a bust.

Davis: backup to ok starter.

Mann: he was good before the injury. Let’s see how he does next year

Everyone else is a non factor.

Overall, just a really disappointing class. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Would like to see who was picked around each pick, maybe up to 5 later on each pick, just to really rub it in. 

I have done that analysis.  It is brutal.  

It was not like this was a bad draft.  Plenty of good players picked within 5-10 of every Jets dud pick.  

• Upvote 1

1-Becton-picked after him were Wirfs, Jeudy, CD Lamb, Justin Jefferson (WRs are undervalued )

2-Mims-picked after the original pick (before JD traded down)-Claypool, Trevon Diggs, Cam Aker.  After actual pick, Kristian Fulton.

3A-Davis-picked after him was Damien Lewis.

3B-Zuniga-picked after him were Bryan Edwards, Lloyd Cushenberry, Zack Moss, Devin Duvernay, Lucas Niang.

4th round and below is a blur, but there are all sorts of OL and WR down there, including Biadasz, Nick Harris, Michael Onwenu, Peoples-Jones.

If JD just took OL and WR (other than Mims) in the 2020 draft, this team would have at least 4 more wins. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

50 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The people giving up on Becton are blowing my mind.

I get this but sometimes where there's smoke there's fire.

Seems like there's something off here...don't know if he's lazy or his body type just isn't built to hold up or maybe it is just bad luck...

I haven't given up on him but I can understand the concerns.

• Upvote 3

I cant be a hypocrite, I loved this draft at the time.  I wanted Becton and while I hated him trading back at the time, I was stoked because I wanted Mims.  And while I knew Zuniga could never stay healthy, I liked that pick based on his athletic profile for edge.  I think Perine can play, or at least he has when given the opportunity, not sure what his future is, but he seems to be buried. 

It's been bad so far, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, while very concerned, I'm not ready to give up on Becton just yet.  And if by chance, somehow, he does reach his potential, this was not a disaster draft.  Coming away with 2 high end starters at premium positions and some depth is a decent draft by all measure, especially when you consider the situation for JD; first ever draft, covid offseason, drafting for a different system and coaching staff, etc.  

I find it more important that he hit a homerun this year (could be a grand slam if Wilson hits).  I'd rather focus on the fact that he improved from 20-21 and that he drafted well with Saleh because this is his handpicked coach and they're executing the go forward plan together.  I'm hoping he can continue that tread because if he it does it again with 4 picks in the top 40, the Jets will be a better Football team trending in the right direction in 22. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

3 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I'm sorry... 

... sorry that it bursts your "JD is an omnipotent godlike being" schtick. 

Nobody cares that your opinion of JD's first ever draft as a first time GM wasn't over the moon like you might have hoped for. All most of us care about is he gets better and that he drafts the correct players for the current CS.  Get over it.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Nobody cares that your opinion of JD's first ever draft as a first time GM wasn't over the moon like you might have hoped for. All most of us care about is he gets better and that he drafts the correct players for the current CS.  Get over it.

Plenty of people care, because it matters a lot more than you'll ever admit. 

Deal. 

AND, nobody expected it to be "over the moon", but even slightly below average would have been acceptable, and it wasnt even that. 

1 hour ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Real bad, but don't really care tbh.  It was JD's first draft with Gase as coach.  He clearly improved this last draft, and set himself up well for the next one.  If he nails it "again" all this b*tching will be water under the bridge.

The problem with letting JD off so easy is that there are many on this board, for example, who would have done a better job in the 2020 draft...that alone is a damning indictment of JD...just what was he doing all those months when he was invisible? 

• Upvote 1