JDs updated 2020 Draft Class

JTJet

25 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I get this but sometimes where there's smoke there's fire.

Seems like there's something off here...don't know if he's lazy or his body type just isn't built to hold up or maybe it is just bad luck...

I haven't given up on him but I can understand the concerns.

Remember Year 1?  Many times Becton had some supposed minor issue that took him off the field.  Once he was throwing up I think and that cost a good portion of the game.

Just not good vibes about projecting going forward.

• Upvote 2

Thoughts on each:

Becton - Talent is there, but nagging injuries have been a serious issue that was not an issue prior to his selection. Still have hope for next year but we may be forced to go OT in the first due to his inability to stay on the field.

Mims - Woof was I wrong on this one, I wanted him so bad. Thoroughly disappointed, expect him to be traded or cut in the offseason.

Davis - Hoping he can be one of our starting safeties next year but I'd be on the watch out for better players. I think worst case he provides a highly athletic backup.

Zuniga - Bust

Perine - Unfortunately I think this was a pick for the previous regime, does not appear to be cut of the mold of Carter, Coleman, and Johnson.

Morgan - I complained about this pick to begin with, made no sense with all the other areas of need. Bad selection.

Clark - Was really hoping he could challenge GVR for the starting spot, not sure if there is a consensus on his health but would appear he'll never play a snap. I do like the swing at the position at this point in the draft though.

Hall - A+ pick, gem of this draft class. You have a 6% chance of landing a starter in the 6th round and Joe Douglas found a starter at a premium position.

Mann - As previously mention, low percentage chance of finding a starter this late. I do like Mann's potential but our fill in for him this year, Morestead, played better than what we've seen from Mann since returning. I do think this pick will end up being fine in the long run.

This draft really hinged on Becton and Mims, so far both have been a disappointment for entirely different reasons. I'll say this, I'm hoping a lot of the issues with this class stem from the incompetence of Adam Gase and his play style because the 2021 class is the complete opposite, easily our best draft in over 15 years and may be the best class of the 32 teams this year.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

16 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

The problem with letting JD off so easy is that there are many on this board, for example, who would have done a better job in the 2020 draft...that alone is a damning indictment of JD...just what was he doing all those months when he was invisible? 

I get it, and people have every right to be very critical of JD because the Jets have sucked and still suck since he's gotten here.  That being said every good GM in the league doesn't hit on every draft.  

The reason I still "support" JD is because he has not made absolutely mind-blowingly stupid decisions like our past GMs (I guess minus the kicking situation).  While the results have been lackluster, there have been VERY few decisions through drafts and FA that I haven't liked.  Our FA group this year was destroyed by injuries and last year's was a "trial run" in Gase's final year.  But contracts have been generally smart and because of that we aren't tied down to many underperforming FAs and we have a ton of picks still coming up.

Wilson is obviously tied to JD, but if he can live up to a round 1 QB status and JD has another above average class we can certainly be set up for long term success depending on this coaching staff.  I still believe we are heading in the right direction even though we suck.  I never had this feeling while the team was under Idzik or Macc.  Just my opinion.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

Trump Wrong GIF - Trump Wrong - Discover & Share GIFs

Sure. 

Until someone other than Braden Mann from the 2020 draft class completes a full season, I'll kick back in the recliner with a beer. 

Hall has a chance, but theres still 2 weeks left. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Sure. 

Until someone other than Braden Mann from the 2020 draft class completes a full season, I'll kick back in the recliner with a beer. 

Hall has a chance, but theres still 2 weeks left. 

Your opinion means more to you than most reading this thread.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JTJet said:

20211227_170704.jpg.28a179082fc5f5f75fe6b93fc927ad48.jpg

Out of a current 279 possible games, JD got 124 games out of this class so far. 

More than half this class wont be on next year's roster. 

Hit on 1 pick with Bryce Hall. 

Brutal. 

Don’t worry, someone on the board told me Douglas gets a mulligan for this draft.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, JTJet said:

I don't care either way, but you replied, so clearly it's got your juices flowing. 

Obviously you wanted a little attention.  I'm happy to oblige in your education.  My gut says JD lasts longer in the NFL than your negativity and handle on JN.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

If he nails it "again" all this b*tching will be water under the bridge.

are you new here? well welcome to Jet Nation. lol

if JD builds a team that wins us the SB in a few years there are people on this board who will never let him live that draft down.

10 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Joe Douglas was hired on June 7th, 2019 and had 10 months and 16 days to prepare for the 2020 Draft held on the dates April 23rd through April 25th. The entire 2019 NCAA college football season was played and all Bowls were played as well as the NFL Combine taking place at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis from February 23rd through March 1st.  How was it a "covid off-season" when it came to preparing for the 2020 NFL Draft?

no combines, no pro days, no physicals.... 

watching a game on TV and watching them go through these drills up close mean something.

6 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

Obviously you wanted a little attention.  I'm happy to oblige in your education.  My gut says JD lasts longer in the NFL than your negativity and handle on JN.  

Keep reaching lol. 

He may last long in the NFL, and if it's with the Jets and we are successful, he will get credit from me. But it HAS to be deserved, and the 2020 draft deserves no credit what so ever other than Hall. 

I have plenty of positivity for where it should be focused at, and that's not the 2020 class. 

1 minute ago, JTJet said:

Keep reaching lol. 

He may last long in the NFL, and if it's with the Jets and we are successful, he will get credit from me. But it HAS to be deserved, and the 2020 draft deserves no credit what so ever other than Hall. 

I have plenty of positivity for where it should be focused at, and that's not the 2020 class. 

Identify where it should be focused at?

4 minutes ago, doitny said:

if JD builds a team that wins us the SB in a few years there are people on this board who will never let him live that draft down.

Honestly I will be extremely happy about that, he will get all the credit in the world if he accomplishes that.

But he is a long long long ass way from that as it stands, you get credit based off of what you have currently done, and that's nothing to date other than absolutely crushing peoples nuts in trade value. 

Just now, Jetscode1 said:

Identify where it should be focused at?

Theres hope for the 2021 draft class, seems to be potential in the secondary, MC1 looks quite good, MC2 looks good, Moore seems to be great, Zach has potential and I hope it clicks for him. 

JD gets credit for this current draft class as it stands, 100%. But that doesnt absolve him from the travesty of the last class. 

If he strings more 2021s together, the stench of the 2020 class wont matter, but it does matter right now, because its severally affected our team. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Are you confused? There was a NFL Combine in 2020. It was before the pandemic officially started in mid March.

my bad, it was the 2021 combine that was cancelled. 

but there were no pro days and Physicals. and all interviews were done in voom

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Theres hope for the 2021 draft class, seems to be potential in the secondary, MC1 looks quite good, MC2 looks good, Moore seems to be great, Zach has potential and I hope it clicks for him. 

JD gets credit for this current draft class as it stands, 100%. But that doesnt absolve him from the travesty of the last class. 

If he strings more 2021s together, the stench of the 2020 class wont matter, but it does matter right now, because its severally affected our team. 

ok thats fair

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, doitny said:

my bad, it was the 2021 combine that was cancelled. 

but there were no pro days and Physicals. and all interviews were done in voom

It's all good. There were a few challenges before the 2020 Draft, but I believe it was easier to evaluate players before that draft than the 2021 Draft because of better film from the college football season played in 2019. The 2020 college football season was trash compared to 2019. 

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Joe Douglas was hired on June 7th, 2019 and had 10 months and 16 days to prepare for the 2020 Draft held on the dates April 23rd through April 25th. The entire 2019 NCAA college football season was played and all Bowls were played as well as the NFL Combine taking place at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis from February 23rd through March 1st.  How was it a "covid off-season" when it came to preparing for the 2020 NFL Draft?

Because the process was totally different.  No combine, in person visits, etc. lots of challenges for a GM in his first ever draft.

Personally, I’m more focused on the home run  in the draft he hit with the head coach he picked, not the one that doesn’t look very good with the one he was given. 

• Upvote 1

Becton 9.85 RAS

Mims 9.77 RAS

Zuniga 9.74 RAS

Davis, track star or whatever.

You can't draft for scheme when you don't have schemes because the coach is a lame duck with years on his contract and everybody knows it. Douglas drafted athletes. It didn't work out. It doesn't mean the plan was unreasonable. .300 hitters go 0 for 4 all the time. It's not like one guy did his job terribly in 2020 and then great in 2021.

• Upvote 1

I have been very negative on JD’s 2020 drafting, but I am now going to provide an excuse. 

We all think that JD got hired as a GM of a multibillion $ team and that JD could now focus on scouting college players and make the right draft picks. 

JD inherited a bunch of Maccagnan’s (and Idzik’s, and Tannenbaum’s, and Bradway’s-literally) scouts. He has to move to a new organization, have lots of meetings, and deal with the entire organization.  He entrusted said scouts to scout the players.  Yes, he did bring his own lieutenants with him, and there are questions as to what they were doing.  He had to work with Adam Gase and his team, including Gregg Williams who was not really part of the team, to scout the players.  As we have seen, involvement of the coaches plays a CRITICAL role in scouting.  It may be the most important.  The Jets coaches in 2020 were not good and probably checked out.  

What is frustrating to me is that JD focused on 2 high value positions in 2020 and now is potentially rebooting.  In 2021, after QB we drafted LG, slot WR, RB and secondary/LB.  The 2 “LBs” are to be determined.   But the 2021 looks like a very solid draft overall.  It would appear that JD learned from 2020 and that the system is better now.  

So JD is 1-1.  I think he needs to “win” 2022.  If Zach looks lost in 2022 (and if Lance and/or Fields look better) and he loses the 2022 draft, I think the Jets need to move on.  We will not be able to trust JD to pick the next QB. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Becton 9.85 RAS

Mims 9.77 RAS

Zuniga 9.74 RAS

Davis, track star or whatever.

You can't draft for scheme when you don't have schemes because the coach is a lame duck with years on his contract and everybody knows it. Douglas drafted athletes. It didn't work out. It doesn't mean the plan was unreasonable. .300 hitters go 0 for 4 all the time. It's not like one guy did his job terribly in 2020 and then great in 2021.

I hadn't considered this. I'd love to know if those were the motivators behind those picks. The Bills did something similar with Allen and Edmonds, highly athletic players taken on high upside.

I loved how JD changed his philosophy after that dreadful first draft.

In his first draft, he traded down early to take the highest rated players that had fallen - MIms, Davis for example.  JD let that draft play him.

In his second draft, he identified the guys he really wanted and then aggressively tried to trade up to get them.  JD played that draft.  Bravo.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, doitny said:

lol you're right.   I've lurked here for enough years to get what you mean.

"That draft could have helped us win 2 SBs instead of just one."

• Haha 2