Karlaftis- DE

PepPep

A very familiar prospect to most people here. But the more I watch the more I like this guys game and how it translates to the NFL. He's not a perfect prospect by any means but I think he will fit quite nicely in Saleh's scheme. Doesn't just rely on power but has a real gettup, quickness and relentless motor. Uses his hands really well with a plethora of moves. 

I think he should be a serious consideration at #4 if Thib, Hutch and Neal go top 3. The Giants might scoop him up before our Seattle pick hits if we pass on him at 4.  

Would you take Karlaftis at 4 if Thib, Hutch and Neal were off the board?

Wonder when the last time 3 pass rushers went top 5...

George Karlaftis Career Highlights | Purdue EDGE | 2022 NFL Draft Prospect - YouTube

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

10 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I said this in a thread recently somewhere but I think after the combine the perceived gap between Hutchinson, Thibideux and Karlaftis will be minimal.

Karlaftis is a game wrecker.

I think you can add Ojabo and Jermaine Johnson to that list as well.   Thibodeaux will start to be de-valued some as people start picking his game apart.   

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Nice write up. Its weird to me that with his strength and power he struggles to disengage with blockers in the run game. I know his 'football IQ' is specified as the reason. But I wonder if the aforementioned lack of length has something to do with that and OTs tend to 'envelope' him a bit in the run game.  

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Nice write up. Its weird to me that with his strength and power he struggles to disengage with blockers in the run game. I know his 'football IQ' is specified as the reason. But I wonder if the aforementioned lack of length has something to do with that and OTs tend to 'envelope' him a bit in the run game.  

Lots of people are saying that’s because of his short arms. If a lineman can get a hold of him he has a hard time disengaging 

In a deep edge class I wonder if Karlaftis falls a little more than projected now. Production is better advanced stats wise than sack wise and he’s raw. Maybe if he absolutely blows up the combine but the length is going to be a negative too.

Feel like there’s enough to nitpick and enough other edges in this class that he could slip a little. It’ll be really interesting to see how his combine goes.

Curious where the Jets would like him too - Lawson and JFM are very different edges and the 49ers under Saleh ran with very different edges too. Karlaftis is somewhere in between - I lean the Lawson side since that seems to be a better stylistic fit but who knows. Not sure if the length is key for this scheme either so maybe they like him a little more than other teams.

He reminds me of a guy who would kill it with the Steelers. Just a big compact guy who looks like he’s been shot out of a cannon most of the time.

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I think you can add Ojabo and Jermaine Johnson to that list as well.   Thibodeaux will start to be de-valued some as people start picking his game apart.   

This is a guy who seems to be rising already. Started messing around with the PFF simulator about 3 weeks ago, and he was going pretty consitently 28-35 Now, it's 20-25 range. This might be another guy who is going to be a big riser after the combine. Another one I can see moving also is the ND C Patterson. He will probably test very well, and people will realize that ND is an Oline factory these days. I could see him in play for us with one of our 2's.

• Upvote 1