Root for wins? Root for Draft Postion? What do REAL Jets Fans do?

JetNation

Hutch.jpg

It has become an annual exercise among frustrated Jets fans looking to claim superior fandom via their outlook on how to approach every Sunday.  Do you want to win every week no matter what, or do you want losses and a higher draft pick?

On this week’s episode of JetNation RadioAM, we cover each approach and if one mindset makes any one fan better than another.

The post Root for wins? Root for Draft Postion? What do REAL Jets Fans do? appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 3

This year, 'tanking' is not a big deal for the jets, like it or not we have our new QB at least for a few years. 

However winning meaningless games at the end of a year is terrible for a team.

The Jets have often totally screwed themselves out of important players by winning late meaningless games that make you feel good for about 5 minutes then live with the fact you had to chose Vernon Gholston for the next 10 years.

The example I will use is one I've talked about a few times on here.

The Eagles vs WFT last year.  Doug Pederson and the Eagles just got eviscerated in the media for pulling hurts and not trying hard enough to beat Washington in a totally lost season.  The fact they lost meant they were picking 6th instead of 10th if they had won.  Since they were picking 6th they were able to make the deal with Miami, get an extra 1st rounder this year and still were able to draft DeVonta Smith.

The Jets are getting hammered in their last two games so no worries there. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

There is no such thing as "real" Jets Fans.

There are only Jets Fans.

What you root for is purely decided by what you prioritize and how you think winners are built. 

In each case we're all rooting for the same end result: a Jets Super Bowl win.

We just see different routes to get there.

Well said.  In the end, it is all irrelevant.  The players are going to play to win.  What we do is irrelevant.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

What you root for is purely decided by what you prioritize and how you think winners are built. 

Old School Reaction GIF

• Haha 2

All you needed to do was watch Trevor play on Sunday to understand that it’s best off to just win football games.

I feel like we are stuck in a never ending cycle of wanting to lose out the second the playoffs are out of reach or even when the second they feel like they are. It’s ok to go 7-10 and try to build off that… it doesn’t always have to be all or nothing

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I'm rootig for the Jets to be watchable win or lose.  I love good football.  Wins will come once we start playing good football.  We're not win or lose.  

Hot damn, this is actually a really good take.

I want the Jets to look GOOD.  Competitive.  Not overmatched.

If we beat the Bucs and Buffalo, great.  If we look good, lose a nailbiter or close game to 2 of the best teams in the league and it helps our draft position?  

I'm fine with that.  No shame there.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Pretty much what the video said.  More than one way to skin a cat and we all want the same thing with different opinions on how to get there.

28 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Many of the same people who are currently talking about tanking for a better pick wanted to trade down when the Jets had the second pick last April.

They're full of sh!t. Pay no mind.

Better picks = better draft capital = better return in a trade.  Even if you don't intend to use a top pick, trading down with a QB needy team is always an option.  You can't do that very often from, say, the 6th pick.

It's really not that hard of a concept to accept.  In a season going nowhere, having the highest pick is preferable to the alternative.  It gives you greater control over the board.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Many of the same people who are currently talking about tanking for a better pick wanted to trade down when the Jets had the second pick last April.

They're full of sh!t. Pay no mind.

The Jets most definitely should have traded down with the Niners last year. They would have had the 12 pick, which ended up being Micah Parsons, they would have had picks 4, 7, and 21 this year and another first next year. The Jets would be in pole position to trade for any QB they like this off-season.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets most definitely should have traded down with the Niners last year. They would have had the 12 pick, which ended up being Micah Parsons, they would have had picks 4, 7, and 21 this year and another first next year. The Jets would be in pole position to trade for any QB they like this off-season.

It's gonna get messy around here when people come to terms with the fact we didn't draft Aaron Rodgers or Josh Allen last year. lol

58 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Better picks = better draft capital = better return in a trade.  Even if you don't intend to use a top pick, trading down with a QB needy team is always an option.  You can't do that very often from, say, the 6th pick.

It's really not that hard of a concept to accept.  In a season going nowhere, having the highest pick is preferable to the alternative.  It gives you greater control over the board.

In a draft that’s weak up top with no clear-cut QB pegged to go #1 overall, that might not be true.

In some drafts, if you’re looking to trade down, there’s such a thing as starting out too high. The draft capital required to move up to #1 removes a lot of teams from the running. It’s too early to know yet if this is such a draft, but so far it looks like it.

So anyway it doesn’t always give you greater control because someone else has to want your pick so badly they’ll fork over 3 first rounders or something. So sometimes it means you’re stuck with your original pick because no GM wants to appear to get swindled in a trade-down from that high up. There’s a good chance that roughly pick #5 (give or take) is a sweet spot for picking up an extra 1st rounder and/or more in 2023, which is what I think he’d be after. 

41 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In a draft that’s weak up top with no clear-cut QB pegged to go #1 overall, that might not be true.

In some drafts, if you’re looking to trade down, there’s such a thing as starting out too high. The draft capital required to move up to #1 removes a lot of teams from the running. It’s too early to know yet if this is such a draft, but so far it looks like it.

So anyway it doesn’t always give you greater control because someone else has to want your pick so badly they’ll fork over 3 first rounders or something. So sometimes it means you’re stuck with your original pick because no GM wants to appear to get swindled in a trade-down from that high up. There’s a good chance that roughly pick #5 (give or take) is a sweet spot for picking up an extra 1st rounder and/or more in 2023, which is what I think he’d be after. 

Right, but in the instance he was talking about, he was specifically talking about last year’s draft class where there were indeed quite a few teams looking to move up for QBs.  

And while 2022 may well fail to be a class like that, that’s not the norm.  Classes without top end talent occur about once a decade, maybe twice.

And of course it’s so f**king Jetsy that we ended up with two top 10 picks in THIS class…

• Upvote 1

If the Jets beat Tom Brady and/or the Bills and screw up their playoff seeding in some way, I’m gonna whip out the ban hammer like I’m playing whack-a-mole on anyone crying about meaningless wins. 
Sad to think there are some here who will be happy to see a smiling Brady on Sunday while fantasizing about draft picks.

Personally I'd like nothing more than a "meaningless win" and making TBs route through the playoffs that bit harder.

I realize the chances are slim to none, but that's football. Go Jets!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, undertow said:

It's gonna get messy around here when people come to terms with the fact we didn't draft Aaron Rodgers or Josh Allen last year. lol

Honestly, I'm not defending Wilson at all here. But at the same time I don't fault JD for taking him. His arm talent made him worthy of the pick at the time. 

• Upvote 1