RIP Legend John Madden

AFJF

Walked by him one day in front of Grand Central standing there alone just like any other guy. He noticed I noticed I him. I just gave him an affirmative nod which he kindly returned.  RIP Big Guy. 

my pop back in the 80s met him with a “hey big john!” in the city and got a nice wave back.
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

The Madden Bus is headed to heaven's gate. RIP John Madden

RIP Legend.

He wasn't just a great NFL Coach and NFL Broadcaster.

He was NFL Football.  PERIOD.

And Chris Collinsworth is delusional at 4;14 in hoping he'd be compared(as a broadcaster) to John Madden.  Holy "Ego Trip", Batman.  ?

46 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

4.4 Billion in sales say quite a few folks.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

This sounds like the Bose argument. A lot of audiophiles say they don't  like Bose because Bose has amazing brand recognition and they tell anyone who will listen how (insert unknown expensive speaker brand) is superior  and how Bose puts out a crap product because they don't have to make it good anymore. So are you saying Madden puts out a crap product, because as a person who has owned some pretty expensive audio equipment,  I will say Bose is certainly not the best value, but there is nothing wrong with anything they make as far as quality. 

13 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

You know a long time has passed when you see Jets fans paying homage  to John Madden.  Back in the Namath vs Lamonica days, we all hated his guts, lol.

But that was because he was so good.

He's best teams were after Lamonica left and Stabler took over.   We were actually uncompetitive trash during most of his run in Oakland. 

I still consider the Raiders our biggest rivals but that was in the late 60's..  The games in the 60's with Davidson and that huge DL going against us were like world wars.   After 1970 we were a terrible team.   Ben Davidson who was a lightening rod in our rivalry retired at the end of the 71 season.  Lamonica was done as a starter after 72.

I actually found myself rooting for several of those Raider teams in the playoffs in the 70's.  Probably loyalty to the AFL.  

• Upvote 1

To me, John Madden = NFL.  I remember as a young boy watching him coach and later on always looked forward to any game he was announcing.  RIP, John.  You are one of the big reasons the NFL became so immensely popular.  You helped 'make the game' what it was when it was great.  Thank you!

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:
This sounds like the Bose argument. A lot of audiophiles say they don't  like Bose because Bose has amazing brand recognition and they tell anyone who will listen how (insert unknown expensive speaker brand) is superior  and how Bose puts out a crap product because they don't have to make it good anymore. So are you saying Madden puts out a crap product, because as a person who has owned some pretty expensive audio equipment,  I will say Bose is certainly not the best value, but there is nothing wrong with anything they make as far as quality. 

This is an excellent analogy.

I just want the opportunity to own more than Bose (i have McIntosh stuff incidentally)

In the case of Madden ... they have owned exclusive NFL and NFLPA licensing for decades ... eliminating the possibility of competition and as such, a higher end product.

Madden is 'ok' ... but EA squashed a superior product in 2k sports and i always hoped for a return of healthy competition.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Dcat said:

To me, John Madden = NFL.  I remember as a young boy watching him coach and later on always looked forward to any game he was announcing.  RIP, John.  You are one of the big reasons the NFL became so immensely popular.  You helped 'make the game' what it was when it was great.  Thank you!

We grew up Madden. Boom!

• Upvote 1

One of the greatest lines uttered about John Madden came from Curt Gowdy, at the end of the Super Bowl when Madden's Raiders destroyed the Vikings. They were carrying him to the center of the field to shake hands with Bud Grant, and Gowdy cracked " that's the hardest thing the Raiders had to do today." Classic.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

This is an excellent analogy.

I just want the opportunity to own more than Bose (i have McIntosh stuff incidentally)

In the case of Madden ... they have owned exclusive NFL and NFLPA licensing for decades ... eliminating the possibility of competition and as such, a higher end product.

Madden is 'ok' ... but EA squashed a superior product in 2k sports and i always hoped for a return of healthy competition.

It sounds like your issue is with the NFL and NFLPA for signing that exclusive rights  agreement.

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't play Madden, never did so I don't  know if it's  a good game or not

Back in the early 90s, it changed the game in regards to realism in a football video game.  Until then, Tecmo Bowl was the best but wasnt very realistic.  I havent played it since the late 90s but in the Genesis/Super nintendo era, it was a classic.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Back in the early 90s, it changed the game in regards to realism in a football video game.  Until then, Tecmo Bowl was the best but wasnt very realistic.  I havent played it since the late 90s but in the Genesis/Super nintendo era, it was a classic.

I played the very first Madden game to come out. Back then you commanded a game of X's and O's and if you didn't  follow exactly what the play called for, you got buried. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

50 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Cmon now, everyone knows the best way to break off a long run in real life is to repeatedly make a big circle wherein all 11 defenders follow you like you’re the pied piper.  

• Haha 1