Jason Whitlock-Why V.Young is dropping

Bugg

I rarely agree with this guy, but this is about right. Young doesn't seem to understand what he's about to get involved with and what it will take in terms of preparetion, and it's why he's looking so bad.

You have to wonder whether Vince Young knows what job he's applying for, or if he even realizes that he is "applying" for a job.

The NFL doesn't recruit starting quarterbacks. It's not the Marines out looking for a few good men. When it comes to picking its quarterbacks, The League is Halle Berry on Oscar night. She can pick any designer she pleases, and the world's most renowned designers are just grateful for the opportunity to be considered.

Vince Young doesn't get this. He thinks joining the NFL will be similar to joining the NCAA. He mistakenly believes he's holding all (or most of) the cards, and that come April's draft some lucky GM is going to feel like a lottery winner when Vince Young stands next to Paul Tagliabue and pulls on a Saints or Texans or Titans cap.

Vince Young is clueless. And I'm not talking about his score on the Wonderlic test. I'm talking about his understanding of what it takes to make it in the NFL as a quarterback.

Humility is the No. 1 ingredient.

The most prestigious and most difficult job in all of sports -- NFL quarterback -- is played at a high level by the men willing to humble themselves and prepare like each Sunday is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

This isn't the NBA, and Young isn't Shaquille O'Neal. You don't get the first half of the season to play your way into shape. It's not Major League Baseball, and Young isn't Roger Clemens. You don't get to stay at home with your family on certain road trips.

This isn't the University of Texas, and Young is no longer able to rely on his superior athleticism and instincts to outduel his competitors.

Young's success in the NFL will hinge almost exclusively on his willingness to prepare. And that's exactly what Young's Wonderlic score and other curious decisions call into question -- his will to prepare and his level of humility.

The fact that Young had to take the Wonderlic twice in order to score a 16 is an indication to me that Young did not prepare for the test, particularly the first time. That speaks to Young's arrogance. So does his choice in representation and his decision to visit the president and the White House sans sports coat and tie.

Are you following me?

When you have a chance at being the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, securing a $25 million signing bonus and landing one of the 32 most important jobs in professional sports, you don't pick a family friend and local criminal defense attorney (Major Adams) to head up your campaign.

That's not keeping it real. It's foolish and arrogant. It raises questions about your decision-making and maturity.

Now, had Young wanted to give Major Adams a break, Young could've easily stipulated to any experienced potential agent that Adams work as co-counsel. A deal such as this would've provided Adams with a tremendous learning experience and protected Young's interest.

It would've given Team Vince, the loosely formed management posse representing Young, some much-needed professionalism. A seasoned agent might be able to explain to Young the difference between being an NFL quarterback and an NBA small forward.

Small forwards travel with posses decked out in white T's, bling bling and agents in sweat suits. NFL quarterbacks don't.

When Young hit radio row at Super Bowl XL with posse and Major Adams in tow, that was the first time I sensed that Young might not grasp that the rules are different for QBs and DBs. When I learned that the leader of Young's posse (and the man calling the real shots for Team Vince) is a longtime friend and Houston nightclub owner who goes by the nickname "Black," that's when I told a friend to keep an eye on Young's draft stock.

"It's gonna dip."

A starting NFL quarterback is the face of a billion-dollar corporation. He is one of the three or four highest-profile individuals in his city and perhaps in his state. His every move is cussed, discussed and analyzed by millions of people who don't have a clue about playing the position.

It's impossible to exaggerate just how much more important the NFL is than every other sport in this country. Vince Young foolishly thinks that the Texas Longhorns and Mack Brown are more important than the Houston Texans and Gary Kubiak. Young thinks playing USC for the national championship was real pressure.

Playing quarterback in the NFL is the equivalent of getting in the sack with Jenna Jameson. Oh, everybody wants to do it, but it can be an incredibly humbling and "short" experience.

Just ask Ryan Leaf or countless other can't-miss prospects. Michael Vick is in the process of getting humbled. He was supposed to reinvent the position. I don't believe the position will ever be reinvented. The guys who have consistent success will always be the guys who prepare the hardest.

Before any NFL owner gives Young a bunch of guaranteed dollars, the general manager better make sure Young is going to hit the film room and practice field just as hard as Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb and Tom Brady. The GM also should make sure that the head coach and offensive coordinator -- not some let's-hit-the-strip-clubs posse member -- have the ear of the quarterback.

Playing QB in The League is a different animal.

It's an honor. So far, Vince Young isn't treating it like an honor. He's treating it like it's his right, granted to him by an MVP performance in the Rose Bowl. You can be a fool and argue that Young proved all he needed to prove in Texas' upset of USC. Hmm. Didn't Redskins running back Tim Smith and Cowboys cornerback Larry Brown have big games on football's biggest stage and later prove to be frauds? And what don't people understand about the concept that NFL quarterbacks have to prove themselves week to week?

Right now Young is proving that he doesn't have the necessary intangibles to thrive as a starting QB. He carries himself like a wide receiver.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many Rose Bowls does this guy have to win?

Vince Young can fail the Wonderlic, SAT, SAT II, MCAT, LSAT and the Army ASVAB test and it still would not make an ounce of difference as to what he does on the field which is win football games.

5 years from now, when Brooks Bollinger, Jon Kitna, Brodie Croyle, and Chad Pennington are out of the NFL and Patrick Ramsey is holding field goal snaps Young will be an effective starting qb in the nfl, maybe even a pro bowler.

But hey, at least we'll be able to say we didn't draft someone who got a 6 on the wonderlic.

He's dropping because once the circle jerk over one game ended, people started looking at his whole body of work along with his skills as a passer and realize he's alot more like Tommy Frazier and Eric Crouch than Steve McNair.

Holy bat**** man!! More like Tommy Frazier and Eric Crouch? Come on now, I'm the biggest Husker fan you'll ever meet but You could have combined Frazier and Crouch and still wouldn't have had half of the passing qb that Young is.

He threw for over 3000 yards and had just 1 less Pass TD than Leinart, in about 100 less attempts. He's also the only QB in NCAA history to both do that and have more than 1000 yards rushing. He didn't get 2800 of those pass yards and 700 of those rushing yards in the rose bowl. Just so you know. He also led all QBs in QB rating in college as well. Again, his rating did not go up 100 points after one game.

Vince Young wasn't just great in one game in college. He was great all year, and just absolutely out of this world that one game.

You can have lots of reasons for not thinking Vince Young will be a good NFL QB, but intelligence and his college track record are not two of those reasons. That is just ignorance.

The arguments people make against Vince are usually the same as for every QB, that is, that he's no sure bet. Nobody is. That the shotgun will prevent him from being an NFL QB...most college QBs, including Pennington, played a lot of shotgun. His delivery, or other uncertainties, I think are valid. But not this junk in this article...

He threw for over 3000 yards and had just 1 less Pass TD than Leinart, in about 100 less attempts. He's also the only QB in NCAA history to both do that and have more than 1000 yards rushing. He didn't get 2800 of those pass yards and 700 of those rushing yards in the rose bowl. Just so you know. He also led all QBs in QB rating in college as well. Again, his rating did not go up 100 points after one game.

Vince Young wasn't just great in one game in college. He was great all year, and just absolutely out of this world that one game.

You can have lots of reasons for not thinking Vince Young will be a good NFL QB, but intelligence and his college track record are not two of those reasons. That is just ignorance.

The arguments people make against Vince are usually the same as for every QB, that is, that he's no sure bet. Nobody is. That the shotgun will prevent him from being an NFL QB...most college QBs, including Pennington, played a lot of shotgun. His delivery, or other uncertainties, I think are valid. But not this junk in this article...

A lot of people on this site live on some kind of fantasy world so no matter what Vince Young does he'll never be any good in their eyes.

Will Vince Young tear up the NFL as a rookie? No but neither does any other rookie qb not named Ben Roethlisberger.

With the right coach and offensive system Young will be a good NFL QB.

i have to dismiss this article outright....

the only thing it says is that VY is dumb becuase he :

1. didnt prepare for the wonderlic

2. hired his friend, an attorney to represent him.

so what? first of all, the wonderlic tests are what they are. I dont think too many people "prepare" for them. If you dont like the score thats legit but to beat him down for not studying is nonsense.

His rep- well, what is really dumb here? I saw a big interview with David Bowie recently. Guess what? he has no management. he says that he knows what he wants per show and what other are getting that compare to him.He says that managers for stars are ridiculous wastes of money.

well, if VY wants a person who he knows and trusts to represent him thats HIS right. The guy is a lawyer, the bar is tough so he must have half a brain.

Oh so VY knows a guy named "black" at a club? jesus h christ.

Ill tell you what this is all about _RACISM. sorry but i call em likes i sees em. white america accepts a black star with no problem as long as he has a good working attitude. If a black superstar with attitude comes around, watch out.

Haha look at dumb vince young..hes eating chicken wings and listens to rap. he cant be mature enough to run his own life but he can rule the rose bowl. He cant be smart, because he has a friend named "black" who runs a -you guessed it - hip hop club in Texas.Us white folks know all about the hiphop thing and how it conflicts with our ways of life. And look out here comes his buddy with a funny name, watermelon rinds and a law degree that he must have recieved from a crappy school. He probably has a smelly ass and gold teeth to boot.

well, VY may be a jerk, a bust whatever but before one prints an article on such a subject they should get some real reasoning

and furthermore, whit**** is totally wrong in his opening.....

A guy like VY doesnt need to think he is trying to get a job, he has already earned one, one which will pay him sick money. Thats why teams will be wheeling and dealing and using a high pick to draft him.

Its not like there are 50 plumbers trying to get the one open job in town. This is supply and demand and even a dead slobodan milosevic knows that blue chip QB prospects get hired. and fast.

Ill tell you what, if this was turned around and it was some white douche bag who scored a 16 on the wonderlic who had his dads lawyer represent him and listened to country music, this wouldnt even be an issue.

"you don't pick a family friend and local criminal defense attorney (Major Adams) to head up your campaign.That's not keeping it real. It's foolish and arrogant"

You can put up a good argument for it being foolish, but where does arrogent come into play?

"When I learned that the leader of Young's posse (and the man calling the real shots for Team Vince) is a longtime friend and Houston nightclub owner who goes by the nickname "Black," that's when I told a friend to keep an eye on Young's draft stock"

thats also when he told his friend he was late for his KKK meeting

:yawn:

Yeah ok, Dickie. Any white guy who is critical of ghetto behavior is a "racist". What do you call black people who are critical of it? Or those people don't exist? All black people act like Vince Young? He's the standard by which they all measure themselves?

Stop with the generalization's.

When I go for a job interview, I have to wear a suit and tie, and I have to shave. Tie's cut the circulation off to my brain, and lack of facial hair makes me feel vulnerable. I'd probably do interview's much better if I could show up in jeans and a t-shirt, with some Stones background music. Whether you like it or not, people judge you based on appearance, attitude, and behavior. There are standards. I don't have to like it, but I have to accept it.

So I'll tell you what Dickie, when you own your own business that employs hundreds of people, make sure you hire everybody who walks in the door- doesn't matter what they look like, how they act, just hire them. They can show up late, smoke pot, sexually harrass the secretary, park there cars on the front lawn, it's all good.

Yeah, you do that Dickie.

For the record, Jason Whitlock happens to be African-American.

Cannot disagree that most in sports and entertainment managers are overpaid, but that isn't the point. Let me understand-David Bowie, with 40 years in show business and his drunk and drugging behind him, now probably does do as good a job as any manager could. That's hardly analagous to a 21-year old coming out of college with zero business experience who hasn't been in the NFL for 5 minutes. In fact, Young has surrounded himself with a "posse" of hangerson and neer do well pals.That's that managing yourself, that's mismanaging. And that's Whitlock's whole point-he could've kept these knuckleheads around if he got at least one seasoned person to guide him through this and took it seriously.

Bwahahahaha.

Dickie missed the entire point of the article. It's not that the author is saying that pro athletes need to look/behave a certain way (or "white way" as Dickie seems to feel). Rather that quarterbacks specifically - and further, quarterbacks entering the NFL draft - need to have a certain amount of non-"me" humility.

"Humility is the No. 1 ingredient"

is it really? there are no arrogent atheletes who are great? How about shaq?

That was the point of the article. NFL quarterbacks are different from NBA players, where a superstar like Shaq/Kobe/Iverson/etc CAN be a successful 1-man show no matter how arrogant or distasteful others may find the behavior.

Does Terrell Owens' lack of humility prevent him from catching big passes and working in the NFL?

Again, as Whitlock pointed out, QB is different than other positions. I would've picked a different example other than TO, since it is EXACTLY his lack of humility that prevented him from working in the NFL last year; it is EXACTLY his lack of humility that got him a lower contract; it is EXACTLY his lack of humility that will get him a lower contract than his premiere talent dictates. It is also his ARROGANCE in picking a dumbass agent who doesn't check his mail/messages or read the newspaper to tell him the new deadline for his star client opting out of his contract - not that TO seems to have made the effort himself either.

Ill tell you what, if this was turned around and it was some white douche bag who scored a 16 on the wonderlic who had his dads lawyer represent him and listened to country music, this wouldnt even be an issue.

Trying to keep an open mind, though, I do agree with Dickie on this statement. But that wouldn't be really an equivalent comparison. If it was a white guy from the back woods of wherever & he hired a moonshine-still operator (with a law degree) & took him everywhere he went, and refused to get any professional to help him in his professional decisions, I think that guy's wonderlic-6-scoring, sidearm-throwing, option-QB stock would plummet as well.

Small forwards travel with posses decked out in white T's, bling bling and agents in sweat suits. NFL quarterbacks don't.

When Young hit radio row at Super Bowl XL with posse and Major Adams in tow, that was the first time I sensed that Young might not grasp that the rules are different for QBs and DBs. When I learned that the leader of Young's posse (and the man calling the real shots for Team Vince) is a longtime friend and Houston nightclub owner who goes by the nickname "Black," that's when I told a friend to keep an eye on Young's draft stock.

damn, stay away from this potential thug turd

"Humility is the No. 1 ingredient"

is it really? there are no arrogent atheletes who are great? How about shaq?

Does Terrell Owens' lack of humility prevent him from catching big passes and working in the NFL?

It was Steve Young who said that to be a good qb in the nfl you need to have an ego. This is Steve Young, maybe the most polite humble guy saying that.

He's not JUST African-American. He's also the sports writer with the single quickest trigger finger when it comes to screaming racism.

This was a surprising article from that fat %@#$.

whitlock is a negro? well isnt that special.

I may have over-reacted at my caliing him a racist, but you guys are not being fair and YOU are missing the point.

My points are valid. A top 5 pick doesnt need to beg for a job. He is entitled to have a "posse", thats his personal business.

I like how the club owner named "black" just flew over all your heads. What difference does that make?

I may have over-reacted at my caliing him a racist, but you guys are not being fair and YOU are missing the point.

My points are valid. A top 5 pick doesnt need to beg for a job. He is entitled to have a "posse", thats his personal business.

I like how the club owner named "black" just flew over all your heads. What difference does that make?

It would make teams equally leery of a dumb & cocky, white country-boy rookie whose toothless "posse" all wore overalls (without shirts) & picked the owner of "The Barnyard" pub whose nickname is "The Colonel" as his agent.

As an owner I'd stay away from that inbred dumbass as my $40M QB like the plague.

Or at the very least, it would surprise no one to see such a player's stock drop like Young's.

Bwahahahaha.

Dickie missed the entire point of the article. It's not that the author is saying that pro athletes need to look/behave a certain way (or "white way" as Dickie seems to feel). Rather that quarterbacks specifically - and further, quarterbacks entering the NFL draft - need to have a certain amount of non-"me" humility.

That was the point of the article. NFL quarterbacks are different from NBA players, where a superstar like Shaq/Kobe/Iverson/etc CAN be a successful 1-man show no matter how arrogant or distasteful others may find the behavior.

Again, as Whitlock pointed out, QB is different than other positions. I would've picked a different example other than TO, since it is EXACTLY his lack of humility that prevented him from working in the NFL last year; it is EXACTLY his lack of humility that got him a lower contract; it is EXACTLY his lack of humility that will get him a lower contract than his premiere talent dictates. It is also his ARROGANCE in picking a dumbass agent who doesn't check his mail/messages or read the newspaper to tell him the new deadline for his star client opting out of his contract - not that TO seems to have made the effort himself either.

Trying to keep an open mind, though, I do agree with Dickie on this statement. But that wouldn't be really an equivalent comparison. If it was a white guy from the back woods of wherever & he hired a moonshine-still operator (with a law degree) & took him everywhere he went, and refused to get any professional to help him in his professional decisions, I think that guy's wonderlic-6-scoring, sidearm-throwing, option-QB stock would plummet as well.

what exactly is your evidence to suggest that a QB cant be arrogent as an NBA star. your just saying stuff without supporting it.

despite TO's lack of humility, he always has a big coin job waiting for him and he is still the best WR out there.

My point here, whether an uncle tom wrote it or a white devil, is that whatever VY has been doing is not worth the paper the article is written upon.

Not studying for a wonderlic?

Having friends in hip hop?

Hiring a friend, an attorney to represent him and not stienberg?

These are MINOR nothings and the focus here is all wrong.

Heres the funny thing: All thoughout this article, NOT ONE MENTION of VY stepping on the guy when he was down. Now THERES a story, a legit piece to beat down VY to. And yet, it isnt even mentioned.

Only his personal nonsense is mentioned, because it is not what white america likes to see. I dont care who wrote it. White america is ok with black stars, but the second they show their ethnic quirks, instead of wearing gay polo shirts at the golf club, they get an uneasy feeling.

You guys are entitled to your opinion, i still say the article was weak. I say that it speaks to the inherent racism in american society. those who feel differently are either delusionsional, misguided or a bit racist themselves.

sorry charlie

It would make teams equally leery of a dumb & cocky, white country-boy rookie whose toothless "posse" all wore overalls (without shirts) & picked the owner of "The Barnyard" pub whose nickname is "The Colonel" as his agent.

As an owner I'd stay away from that inbred dumbass as my $40M QB like the plague.

Or at the very least, it would surprise no one to see such a player's stock drop like Young's.

dude im not saying that his stock is dropping due to racism im saying that the focus in the article is misguided.

Ill tell you what, there are probably a bunch of crackers as you have described. Thing is, nobody is writing articles about THEM.

what exactly is your evidence to suggest that a QB cant be arrogent as an NBA star. your just saying stuff without supporting it.

despite TO's lack of humility, he always has a big coin job waiting for him and he is still the best WR out there.

My point here, whether an uncle tom wrote it or a white devil, is that whatever VY has been doing is not worth the paper the article is written upon.

Not studying for a wonderlic?

Having friends in hip hop?

Hiring a friend, an attorney to represent him and not stienberg?

These are MINOR nothings and the focus here is all wrong.

Heres the funny thing: All thoughout this article, NOT ONE MENTION of VY stepping on the guy when he was down. Now THERES a story, a legit piece to beat down VY to. And yet, it isnt even mentioned.

Only his personal nonsense is mentioned, because it is not what white america likes to see. I dont care who wrote it. White america is ok with black stars, but the second they show their ethnic quirks, instead of wearing gay polo shirts at the golf club, they get an uneasy feeling.

You guys are entitled to your opinion, i still say the article was weak. I say that it speaks to the inherent racism in american society. those who feel differently are either delusionsional, misguided or a bit racist themselves.

sorry charlie

well said DK i agree with you (I VOTE YOUNG fOR OUR QB ALL DAY LONG)6foot 5 good arm and the best thing you need in the nfl, sorry guys but SPEED KILLS watch out AFC if he comes:cheers:

dick -

i think the point is that VY needs to udnerstand that the NFL is a business. if he expects a check for $20M he needs to understand that he will be the face of the franchise immediately and needs to represent himslef as such. that is an ungodly amount of $$. think about it, if you were about to sign your name to a check for $20M wouldn't you want to have no doubts in your mind.

do you think that it could cause some aprehension that when marketing himself for that 1 time life-changing check he rolls with a nighclub owner named "black"?

Wow. This thread is interesting....

I can understand the prejudice involved with black athletes, especially quarterbacks, and I think some of that might be at play here. That being said, I think Whitlock is alarmed that Vince Young failed to do the little things, the most simple, to prepare himself for the most difficult job in sports.

An NFL qb spends countless hours preparing himself, from watching and breaking down film, to practice, etc.

An NFL qb must use good judgment as well, and it is a major part of his job. This kid used poor judgment and it is alarming. Should he be killed for it? I don't think so, but Young needs better counsel. These things may not sound like a great deal, but to coaches and GMs, it may be enough for them to shy away from him.

When it comes down to it, how many coaches and GMs would feel comfortable handing over the keys to the franchise, as well as a boat load of money to Vince Young? Unfortunately, I think some sterotyping/prejudice might play a part, but he isn't exactly helping himself.

When it comes down to it, how many coaches and GMs would feel comfortable handing over the keys to the franchise, as well as a boat load of money to Vince Young? Unfortunately, I think some sterotyping/prejudice might play a part, but he isn't exactly helping himself.

BINGO!!!!

Archived