How I Would Address FA

BurntDice

Just now, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

If you sign Kirk are you cutting Corey Davis? Kirk and Eli Moore are basically the same height. If we sign a wr I’d prefer a guy like Gallup who is a little taller and imo has more upside.

Kirk would play slot with Moore and Davis on the outside. I’d take a taller guy like Burks in the draft. Davis can be cut after next year with less than 1m in dead money if needed. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I would definitely sign up for this. I would also have Gallup high on my list for WR. I'm not sure what to make of Douglas and paying top dollar for a safety, we are going to find out a lot this offseason with that area of need and Hamilton in the draft.

I like Gallup too, but not as much as Kirk. He isn’t great at getting open and drops the ball more than I prefer. 

if we’re really trying to go for the Seahawks style of system then a great FS is very valuable. Earl Thomas was invaluable to them. Bates was one of the best safeties in the league last year and play’s Thomas’s role extremely well. Neither Jamal or maye have that skill set. I like Hamilton too, but I’m hoping and praying that thib/hutch falls to us and we trade down the hawks pick and take a lb or wr. 

heres Gallup’s targets this season. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, ZachStepdad said:

I would try to sign one of the FA wrs and the best guard or center available. Draft a pass rusher and the best CB available or if Neal falls to us draft him and top CB in 2nd round. If the picks hit and the FA and Zach plays even a bit better we can contend in this division.

I’m all for finally making a push for the division/playoffs my man! One can dream 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'm a little iffy on kirk, i like the other moves. 

I'm not sure who is available at linebacker in Fa but we desperately need someone there imo.

This lb fa class seems very weak. The only guy I saw that might be worth taking a look at is Anthony Walker (Brown’s). I could be missing someone tho 

• Upvote 1

Yes for Bates and Connor for the right price. Neither move the needle so much for me. Kirsk seems like players we already have in Moore, Berrios and Crowder. Njoku is also a no for me. He reminds me of many TE projects of our past going all the way back to Johnny Mitchell and Kyle Brady to most recent in Kellen Davis,  Austin Sefairian Jenkins, and Herndon, so much talent but never truly puts it together

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

I would offer Bates a contract worth $38,000,001 in guaranteed money, thus making him the highest paid safety in the League. 

I don’t know if JD wants to pay safeties top dollar… why not sign Maye for a year? 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BurntDice said:

I’m open to criticisms so let’s discuss. Contract estimates are taken from Spotrac. 

First  priority is to go after Jessie Bates (Age 24 S Bengals) He’s young and is a fantastic single high safety. We have nothing at safety besides a project in Davis. 15 mil

Connor Williams ( 24 G Cowboys) he has been on an upward trend since entering the league. He’s athletic and fits this offense extremely well. Has pro bowl potential. He’s had issues with flags this season, but that’s  an outlier based on the rest of his career. Now is the time to spend a bit on OL with Becton and AVT on rookie contracts. 10 mil

Christian Kirk (25 WR Cardinals) A great route runner with very solid hands. Has a catch % around 88%. Gets open with ease and is excellent at finding the soft spot in zone coverage. 12 mil

David Njoku (25 TE Brown’s) has all the tools to be a completely dominant TE. He’s been good, but not great with the Brown’s. His contract shouldn’t be too high because he hasn’t produced as expected. Worth a shot to see if he takes off. 7 mil

All these guys are young and should be potential building blocks to pair with the draft. With a FA class like this it makes it much easier to focus on the draft without forcing needs. 

Good post.

I think Douglas will sign a WR, TE and OL and spend the bulk of the rest of free agency (and draft) on defense.  Did anyone else see the 32nd ranked rushing team (the Dolphins) gash the Jets defense?  They're terrible.  

Connor Williams would be a great get, but I would prefer his Cowboy teammates Dalton Schultz and Michael Gallup.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, BurntDice said:

I’m open to criticisms so let’s discuss. Contract estimates are taken from Spotrac. 

First  priority is to go after Jessie Bates (Age 24 S Bengals) He’s young and is a fantastic single high safety. We have nothing at safety besides a project in Davis. 15 mil

Connor Williams ( 24 G Cowboys) he has been on an upward trend since entering the league. He’s athletic and fits this offense extremely well. Has pro bowl potential. He’s had issues with flags this season, but that’s  an outlier based on the rest of his career. Now is the time to spend a bit on OL with Becton and AVT on rookie contracts. 10 mil

Christian Kirk (25 WR Cardinals) A great route runner with very solid hands. Has a catch % around 88%. Gets open with ease and is excellent at finding the soft spot in zone coverage. 12 mil

David Njoku (25 TE Brown’s) has all the tools to be a completely dominant TE. He’s been good, but not great with the Brown’s. His contract shouldn’t be too high because he hasn’t produced as expected. Worth a shot to see if he takes off. 7 mil

All these guys are young and should be potential building blocks to pair with the draft. With a FA class like this it makes it much easier to focus on the draft without forcing needs. 

First, I don't like spending 15 Million on a safety, period!!!  So, that is a no for me.

Second, I am tired of signing players like David Njoku who have underperformed on another team, but we want to hope that when they come to the Jets, will reach their potential.  Usually, they continue to underperform.  So, that is a no for me.

As far as Christian Kirk and the guard from Dallas, I am neutral right now.  I can go either way on both of these guys.

I would like the Jets to resign Duvernay, and feel that he is a solid if unspectacular player at right guard.  Why not bring back Moses as well at right tackle?  If both of these guys can be brought back, then the Jets could use their resources in the draft on wide receiver, edge rusher, linebacker, tight end, cornerback and safety in the earlier rounds. In the later rounds, grab a center and running back.

If the Jets were to spend big money in free agency, I would want it to be for a stud tight end, stud wide receiver, or a stud cornerback, which would allow the Jets to focus on other needs in the draft.

I'm sure that if you asked 10 different Jets fans, they would have 10 different opinions on what the Jets should do.  This is what I would do.

• Upvote 1

My top targets, since you didn't ask:

Safety - Justin Reid, Marcus Williams, Quandre Diggs (Resign Maye)

There's actually a lot of great options at Safety this free agency. Showing you why it's dumb to waste a top pick on a safety no matter how good they are. It's not worth it. 

Linebackers - Hasson Reddick should be #1 priority IMO. Underrated, still young and on the upside of his career. 

WR - Chris Godwin, Mike Williams (great YOLO jump ball guy to have)

• Sympathy 2

Look at the Bills, Patriots and Dolphins use their safeties.  This defense needs 2 stud safeties.  This year we should try one and hopefully draft one.  Otherwise we roll with Davis, others and the FA.

The Jets need multiple WR, OL and LB for the long term.  So trying to sign one and the draft one of each is a good thing.  For WR I would spend big on an impact player, but we should be considering drafting one high.  Look at the recent first round WRs. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Copernicus said:

Yes for Bates and Connor for the right price. Neither move the needle so much for me. Kirsk seems like players we already have in Moore, Berrios and Crowder. Njoku is also a no for me. He reminds me of many TE projects of our past going all the way back to Johnny Mitchell and Kyle Brady to most recent in Kellen Davis,  Austin Sefairian Jenkins, and Herndon, so much talent but never truly puts it together

Kirk would be crowders replacement and I don’t see berrios as a starting caliber slot. Kirk also has a great arm for the trick plays Lafleur likes to run.  I’d draft another TE in the draft to pair with Njoku. He shouldn’t be locked in as #1 TE with how he’s performed. 

heres every target for Kirk weeks 7-15. I like that he’s always open and rarely drops the ball. 2 issues our wrs seem to have. 

25 minutes ago, varjet said:

Look at the Bills, Patriots and Dolphins use their safeties.  This defense needs 2 stud safeties.  This year we should try one and hopefully draft one.  Otherwise we roll with Davis, others and the FA.

The Jets need multiple WR, OL and LB for the long term.  So trying to sign one and the draft one of each is a good thing.  For WR I would spend big on an impact player, but we should be considering drafting one high.  Look at the recent first round WRs. 

I totally agree with you. Sign a s and draft one too. I don’t have faith in locking Davis on as a starter. 

38 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

My top targets, since you didn't ask:

Safety - Justin Reid, Marcus Williams, Quandre Diggs (Resign Maye)

There's actually a lot of great options at Safety this free agency. Showing you why it's dumb to waste a top pick on a safety no matter how good they are. It's not worth it. 

Linebackers - Hasson Reddick should be #1 priority IMO. Underrated, still young and on the upside of his career. 

WR - Chris Godwin, Mike Williams (great YOLO jump ball guy to have)

Reddick struggled really bad as a 4-3 DE and improved vastly when switching to a 3-4 Edge. He doesn’t have the range to play OLB in a 4-3 and isn’t good as a DE in a 4-3. He just doesn’t fit this system 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

A good tight end is a QB’s best friend…

Mike Gesicki would be a great signing.

I'm feeling he gets franchised.  would love to have him even if his run blocking is crap.

Honest question about Njoku - what's his problem?  Why hasn't he lit it up with all his physical talent?    

10 hours ago, BurntDice said:

don't know who these players are but the positions certainly need to be filled.  it would be great to find guys on their first free agent contract like conklin was.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

A good tight end is a QB’s best friend…

Mike Gesicki would be a great signing.

I don’t think they’ll go after him. He is terrible at blocking and you know when he’s out there is to run a route. It seems like theyll go after guys who are at least decent at blocking. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I'm feeling he gets franchised.  would love to have him even if his run blocking is crap.

Honest question about Njoku - what's his problem?  Why hasn't he lit it up with all his physical talent?    

Doing a quick search, it just sounds like because the Browns are incompetent. They signed Austin Hooper to TE1 money and he hasn't lived up to it and fans are saying if Njoku was on another team he'd probably be a pro bowler. And Browns haven't given him a real chance. 

Sounds like a perfect FA signing!

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, BurntDice said:

First, Bates ain’t going nowhere. Bengals are up and coming. No way they let him spring free.  Next that  guard is average. JD wants elite potential-see AVT. Next TE - Njoku will be costly and what he really done next to nothing. And there are like 8 really good TE’s in this draft that can step right into a starting role. Sign a vet cheap to go along with one. Next Kirk. We have Moore who is playing the slot. He’s better equipped there. Why stick him outside when he’d be more effective from the slot. Kirk would be overkill as he’s just another slot guy. Pass pass pass. 

17 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

First, Bates ain’t going nowhere. Bengals are up and coming. No way they let him spring free.  Next that  guard is average. JD wants elite potential-see AVT. Next TE - Njoku will be costly and what gas he really done next to nothing. And there are like 8 really good TE’s in this draft that can step right into a starting role. Sign a vet cheap to go along with one. Next Kirk. We have Moore who is playing the slot. He’s better equipped there. Why stick him outside when he’d be more effective from the slot. Kirk would be overkill as he’s just another slot guy. Pass pass pass. 

Bates mentioned that he’s pissed because the contract negations weren’t going how he wanted with them. It seems very similar to the Maye situation. It seems like a 60/40 shot that he’ll hit FA. 

Williams is only 24 and has been playing well every season since entering the league. He’s a former 2nd round pick and is definitely good enough to be a pro bowl guard in a couple years. He’s also very athletic and fits the wide zone scheme great. 

Njoku wont cost that must. Spotrac is usually on point with contracts and they have him pegged at 7 mil. He has 500 yards and 3 tds.  this season which is more than all the Jets  TEs combined. 

Moore has been playing outside on most plays and not in the slot. He’s been playing great on the outside and Lafleur seems to agree. 

also here’s all of Moores targets week 1-9. It shows that he’s been playing on the outside and NOT in the slot as you mentioned. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Good post.

I think Douglas will sign a WR, TE and OL and spend the bulk of the rest of free agency (and draft) on defense.  Did anyone else see the 32nd ranked rushing team (the Dolphins) gash the Jets defense?  They're terrible.  

Connor Williams would be a great get, but I would prefer his Cowboy teammates Dalton Schultz and Michael Gallup.

Fins 32nd ranked rushing team embarrassed the Jets DL - yet again. Hands down, our DL is pathetic. It needs to be turned over, upside down. QW has been incredibly disappointing this year. Is he going to be resigned? Wow. JFM. WTF ? Where did this guy go? I mean this is just deplorable.  A 4-3 defense where all 7 of these guys need to be replaced LOL ? It’s like JD may just have to draft a DL in 1st round this is so bad and trade QW who is just a busy. I wouldn’t be shocked if JD grabs that DL from Bama Jordan Davis 330 6’6.  I mean something MUST be done. 

19 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Bates mentioned that he’s pissed because the contract negations weren’t going how he wanted with them. It seems very similar to the Maye situation. It seems like a 60/40 shot that he’ll hit FA. 

Williams is only 24 and has been playing well every season since entering the league. He’s a former 2nd round pick and is definitely good enough to be a pro bowl guard in a couple years. He’s also very athletic and fits the wide zone scheme great. 

Njoku wont cost that must. Spotrac is usually on point with contracts and they have him pegged at 7 mil. He has 500 yards and 3 tds.  this season which is more than all the Jets  TEs combined. 

Moore has been playing outside on most plays and not in the slot. He’s been playing great on the outside and Lafleur seems to agree. 

also here’s all of Moores targets week 1-9. It shows that he’s been playing on the outside and NOT in the slot as you mentioned. 

He’s a better slot guy, which fits his skill set. He’d be ridiculous in the slot. Practically uncoverable. If we could get Bates GREAT but hopefully not to expensive 

7 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

He’s a better slot guy, which fits his skill set. He’d be ridiculous in the slot. Practically uncoverable. If we could get abates GREAT but hopefully not to expensive 

Why’s he need to play slot? Because of his height? Antonio brown played on the outside for the Steelers and he’s the same size as Moore.