How I Would Address FA

BurntDice

2 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Gesicki stinks. He’s a WR, not a TE. He’s never in line, can’t block at all. If we waste money on him, I’ll be pissed.

Completely agree - he would be an atrocious signing.  The TEs that are actually good are good blockers and force teams to stay in a base defense rather then simply go nickel as they are essentially glorified Wrs.

As for the LB question,  Foysade Oluokon is an OLB on Atlanta who is a free agent.   Hes a young player with speed who has played in this defense under Ulbrich and has 5 sacks and 4 ints over his past 2 years as a starter.

Id love Bates but Im not sure how/why he leaves cincy unless its strictly money. 

I also dont know why people want to move McGovern to guard - do we know he can play well in that spot?  Are we possibly downgrading center and RG with a move like that, unless we spend a top 40 pick on Linderbaum or Jarrett Patterson.  Id rather sign James Daniels who has played RG already, has center experience and then draft an IOL to develop behind him and McGovern.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't know much about Bates beyond that he is good, but I don't know that they are looking for a single high safety.  

Based on the Seahawks that’s the role Earl Thomas played and he helped their defense tremendously. Kam chancellor was the box safety who helped with the shorter routes and run defense and earl covered everything over the top. I haven’t looked into the 9ers yet so I’m not sure if they had someone like that 

14 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Completely agree - he would be an atrocious signing.  The TEs that are actually good are good blockers and force teams to stay in a base defense rather then simply go nickel as they are essentially glorified Wrs.

As for the LB question,  Foysade Oluokon is an OLB on Atlanta who is a free agent.   Hes a young player with speed who has played in this defense under Ulbrich and has 5 sacks and 4 ints over his past 2 years as a starter.

Id love Bates but Im not sure how/why he leaves cincy unless its strictly money. 

I also dont know why people want to move McGovern to guard - do we know he can play well in that spot?  Are we possibly downgrading center and RG with a move like that, unless we spend a top 40 pick on Linderbaum or Jarrett Patterson.  Id rather sign James Daniels who has played RG already, has center experience and then draft an IOL to develop behind him and McGovern.

Foysade sounds like hed be a good pickup. I haven’t heard much about him. Is he a SAM or WILL? 

i read an article about bates and it seems like they can’t agree on a contract. He said he’s been frustrated all season, but he’s decided to just forget about it and play his best so teams see him for his value. I’m guessing he’s asking for a large contract and the bengals don’t want to pay him. 

Not to piss in anyones cornflakes, but I anticipate another off-season of disappointment for JetNation during the free agency phase. You'll see a bunch of these "dogs" on your wish list going to better teams. Some the Jets will get rejected/used by, some the Jets won't even call. The best way for the Jets to improve will be through the draft and trades.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Not to piss in anyones cornflakes, but I anticipate another off-season of disappointment for JetNation during the free agency phase. You'll see a bunch of these "dogs" on your wish list going to better teams. Some the Jets will get rejected/used by, some the Jets won't even call. The best way for the Jets to improve will be through the draft and trades.

None of these guys are the premium level FA at their position besides bates. It fits JDs mo and makes sense 

For the Jets FA is like a second draft.  Because they have not signed any of their own draft picks they have extra cap space.  Just like drafting when you pay players who are question marks, the Jets get to over pay players whose own team did not extend them prior-those teams had the opportunity. 

JD should use some cap space to extend guys like Berrios and Fant.  Then try for guys who can fill in.  But more draft picks, the better. 

4 hours ago, SR24 said:

Swap out Njoku and Kirk for Gallup and Schultz and I’m with ya 

I’m starting to fall off the Schultz bandwagon. He seems like a slightly better version of Kroft. They have the same 40 time (4.75 aka slow) same height, weight etc.  Average athlete, doesn’t create much separation, above average blocker, good hands. Just overall average and not someone I’d pay a bunch of money too. He’s getting a ton of volume in Dallas at 88 targets 

I feel the same about Gallup. He doesn’t create separation well, average speed, drops the ball too much, not a good route runner, He’s pretty good at contested catches but overall meh. He’ll prob be a mid tier #2, but nothing special. 

Douglas is on the hot seat. He will be spending quite a bit, IMO. 
No hot seat ... dude had an A+ draft and completely overhauled our cap management while creating team friendly contracts like JFM.

But should be a fun offseason.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Just now, Dunnie said:

No hot seat ... dude had an A+ draft and completely overhauled our cap management while creating team friendly contracts like JFM.

But should be a fun offseason.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Jets go 4-13 next season - Douglas back in 2023?

9 hours ago, football guy said:

I'm pretty confident that the Jets will sign David Njoku in free agency. Many will want Schultz but Dallas never lets a player like him leave... they'll find a way to bring him back 

Good Lord, David NJoku is a bust. Also another Corey Davis type with bleh hands. 

4 hours ago, Barton said:

Good Lord, David NJoku is a bust. Also another Corey Davis type with bleh hands. 

A bust has almost 500 yards and 3tds in a season with only 47 targets at 14.5 ypr? Don’t think so. Has he played below expectations? Sure, but a bust no he’s not. He’s just not getting the volume of a lot of guys because the Brown’s offense isn’t exactly good. He also only has 3 drops this year. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, football guy said:

I'm pretty confident that the Jets will sign David Njoku in free agency. Many will want Schultz but Dallas never lets a player like him leave... they'll find a way to bring him back 

That would be great and hopefully they still draft a tight end high.  

I'd draft an edge and WR in round 1.

Double dip at tight end and linebacker in round 2 and free agency.  

I'd also look to sign a safety and find a way to upgrade C and/or RG through free agency. 

This team isn't that far away with a decent jump from Zach, first round WR to slot everyone else down, pass rush, and some tight ends.  

• Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

That would be great and hopefully they still draft a tight end high.  

I'd draft an edge and WR in round 1.

Double dip at tight end and linebacker in round 2 and free agency.  

I'd also look to sign a safety and find a way to upgrade C and/or RG through free agency. 

This team isn't that far away with a decent jump from Zach, first round WR to slot everyone else down, pass rush, and some tight ends.  

I feel exactly the same with everything you said 

21 hours ago, football guy said:

Dallas has $ issues. Would go hard at Schultz. Njoku seems like a diva to me, would really have to ace his interview.

Number one-if Davonte Adams shakes free we sign him. Back the truck up. Overpay by stupid amounts if we have to. No friggin Michael Gallup, get Davonte Adams. Move Corey Davis to #2 where he belongs. Elijah Moore into the slot and draft or sign a serviceable TE or 2. Add another guard/center and re-sign Morgan Moses to back up Becton at RT. There will be no excuse for poor offense.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The Jets will not spend big money in free agency and continue to build through the draft.  And 90% of this board will erupt into “fire Joe Douglas” nonsense.  It will be glorious.  I cant wait to see it!

I enjoy hearing your optimism.  I'm way on the dark side with this team at the moment but if we're going to get out of this brutal era of Jets football, I think it's going to be from JD making some shrewd draft picks.

26 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Number one-if Davonte Adams shakes free we sign him. Back the truck up. Overpay by stupid amounts if we have to. No friggin Michael Gallup, get Davonte Adams. Move Corey Davis to #2 where he belongs. Elijah Moore into the slot and draft or sign a serviceable TE or 2. Add another guard/center and re-sign Morgan Moses to back up Becton at RT. There will be no excuse for poor offense.

You know it takes both player and team to agree to a deal right? Also what makes you think jd is  going to spend 30 mil on a 30 year old wr when he’s repeatedly said they are building thru the draft? You are going to be very upset when it doesn’t happen it seems because it has a 90% chance of not being the case. 

also you really think Moses is going to sign another cheap contract to be a backup after this season where he’s proven he can be a mid tier and healthy starter?  

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I enjoy hearing your optimism.  I'm way on the dark side with this team at the moment but if we're going to get out of this brutal era of Jets football, I think it's going to be from JD making some shrewd draft picks.

He will.  Think about this.  We can get the best olineman, wr, te and rb in this draft w/ our 1st 4 picks.  Then use picks in round 4-7 and free agency to add defensive pieces.

Then in the 2023 draft, you concentrate on the defense.

We can build one of the best offenses in the league if Joe D follows my plan w/ our 1st 4 picks this year.

2022 Jets draft:
Pick 4: best oline in the draft(neal or cross)
Pick 6: best wr in the draft(burkes or williams)
Pick 35: best te in the draft(mcbride or wydermyer)
Pick 38: best rb in the draft(spiller or hall)

Whos w/ me?

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He will.  Think about this.  We can get the best olineman, wr, te and rb in this draft w/ our 1st 4 picks.  Then use picks in round 4-7 and free agency to add defensive pieces.

We can build one of the best offenses in the league if Joe D follows my plan w/ our 1st 4 picks this year.

2022 Jets draft:

Whos w/ me?

I don't see JD using all 4 of those picks on offense.   I think he's going defense with at least 2 of those picks.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The Jets will not spend big money in free agency and continue to build through the draft.  And 90% of this board will erupt into “fire Joe Douglas” nonsense.  It will be glorious.  I cant wait to see it!

totally agree

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

2022 Jets draft:

Whos w/ me?

Switch OL with edge and rb with safety/lb and I agree 

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

2022 Jets draft:

Whos w/ me?

I'd prefer the edge and linebacker to go with a receiver and tight end. 

You know it takes both player and team to agree to a deal right? Also what makes you think jd is  going to spend 30 mil on a 30 year old wr when he’s repeatedly said they are building thru the draft? You are going to be very upset when it doesn’t happen it seems because it has a 90% chance of not being the case. 

also you really think Moses is going to sign another cheap contract to be a backup after this season where he’s proven he can be a mid tier and healthy starter?  

The question is what we would do in FA, not what we think JD would do. But specifically for Moses, I’d pay him mid tier starting money and let him battle with Becton at RT. If he beats out Becton then great, if not he can wait 2 games before he’s back in starting anyway. We can not afford to end next season with questions at offense. We need to surround the kid with premium protection and talent. If he still sucks then even the blind will finally see.