So, Omicron pretty much sucks

Jet_Engine1

34 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Not sure if this has been said but take it super easy with the gym for the first month when you get better. I went back in hard after I recovered and I ****ed my sh*t up bad because of it. It stays with you for a while. Tread lightly with the powerlifting big man. 

Yeah, right now just taking a hot shower wiped me out. ? 

Going to ease back into it, on the glass half full side, I now qualify for "Senior" Games and I'm the Masters Division, so no more open divisions against geared up meatheads! 

Not many 242+ guys left when you hit the Masters-2 bracket.

Appreciate the tip.

Now, how do we get more season of The Expanse??

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yeah, right now just taking a hot shower wiped me out. ? 

Going to ease back into it, on the glass half full side, I now qualify for "Senior" Games and I'm the Masters Division, so no more open divisions against geared up meatheads! 

Not many 242+ guys left when you hit the Masters-2 bracket.

Appreciate the tip.

Now, how do we get more season of The Expanse??

I dunno man, I started doing Masters divisions for IBJJF a few years ago and the dudes in their 40s seem like they’re on more gear now than the young guys. Having to strip grips from someone that has old man and/or dad strength AND is on a cycle? Brutal. The only benefit is that everyone seems to understand we all have jobs to go to on Monday so maybe take it easy with the ******* joint locks.

• Sympathy 1

44 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

Will you kindly cut this malarkey out?  Good general health will improve your chances of not getting infected and surviving even if you do.  But the use of masks and vaccines have decreased your chances of dying if your are infected from 1 in 10 in April of 2020 to 1 in 200 now.

Sorry, the "who needs masks and vaccines when you can do pushups" philosophy has repeatedly been exposed as false.

Agreed, seems to be a bit of hubris in this thread re: covid. A visit to r/hermancainaward should be enlightening for those here relying on made up things like "natural" immunity. Many people featured on that subreddit relied on "natural" immunity and vitamins and zinc or whatever the anti-vaxxers take these days, posted about it on the interwebz before later dying from covid. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

Will you kindly cut this malarkey out?  Good general health will improve your chances of not getting infected and surviving even if you do.  But the use of masks and vaccines have decreased your chances of dying if your are infected from 1 in 10 in April of 2020 to 1 in 200 now.

Sorry, the "who needs masks and vaccines when you can do pushups" philosophy has repeatedly been exposed as false.

Um, I do not disagree with anything you said.  So I am not clear on what malarkey you want to snip?

let me explain it this way. If I had to chose between being in outstanding health without a vaccine  and in poor health with a vaccine.  I’d choose the former.    And this disease overwhelmingly is  killing people in poor health   This disease is not killing people in outstanding health, with or without a vaccine. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Pretty relevant topic. I’m going to unlock it, mostly because I would like to know how Jet Engine and rest of you guys who  are symptomatic are coming along. Plus  like to think rest of us can be here for you guys without making this thread unsuitable fur the board. 

From here on in those of you who keep going into a political direction or make this “ us against them” I will give you a break well  into the new year. 

Feel better soon guys! 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Yeah duh. More people are getting out because of the absurd restrictions for the winter though. The city flat out blows right now.

I believe NY lost the most amount of population overall this year too. 

LOL wherein you just admitted that you neither live here nor have visited recently, you claim definitively that the "city flat out blows right now."  It does not.  Some of us have been here since the beginning and not left.  And aside from working at home, life has been relatively B.A.U. since about August 2020.  But keep that edge!!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Sore throat, cough, terrible body aches, tired, but the aches make sleep difficult. No real fever but woke up this morning drenched in sweat. Spent the last 2 days in bed. What a way to end a terrible year. ? 

Same here.  Really sucks to have taken every single precaution over the last 21 months, only to get it now.  At least it is not as bad as the other variants.  Night sweat is unbelievable.  Changed my t-shirt twice last night.  My ribs feel like Mike Tyson used me like a heavy bag, and when I cough, it feels the bottom of my lungs are coming out.

Happy New Year.

6 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Pretty relevant topic. I’m going to unlock it, mostly because I would like to know how Jet Engine and rest of you guys who  are symptomatic are coming along. Plus  like to think rest of us can be here for you guys without making this thread unsuitable fur the board. 

From here on in those of you who keep going into a political direction or make this “ us against them” I will give you a break well  into the new year. 

Feel better soon guys! 

You know the old saw about the definition of insanity?   You expect too much from a certain cadre, my good friend.

Crush, best of health and happiness in 2022 to you and everyone else on the board.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

LOL wherein you just admitted that you neither live here nor have visited recently, you claim definitively that the "city flat out blows right now."  It does not.  Some of us have been here since the beginning and not left.  And aside from working at home, life has been relatively B.A.U. since about August 2020.  But keep that edge!!

I have visited recently. It wasn’t the same. Business as usual but working from home is like the exact opposite as business as usual for nyc. Midtown was gross. The crime isn’t great. Bail laws are insane. 

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

I have visited recently. It wasn’t the same. Business as usual but working from home is like the exact opposite as business as usual for nyc.

Sure, for commuters and for the midtown business who rely on commuters.  But not for people who actually live here in residential neighborhoods.

10 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Same here.  Really sucks to have taken every single precaution over the last 21 months, only to get it now.  At least it is not as bad as the other variants.  Night sweat is unbelievable.  Changed my t-shirt twice last night.  My ribs feel like Mike Tyson used me like a heavy bag, and when I cough, it feels the bottom of my lungs are coming out.

Happy New Year.

Feel better soon brother. 

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Im still in a very holiday cheery holiday mood because Poppy got to spend  Christmas with his boy! 

A blessed 2022 to you and yours as well brother! 

6BA948F2-3DB8-44D3-AEC8-1452796735A4.jpeg

What an absolute doll.  With that face, you are TRULY BLESSED.  That kid probably never learns to walk, 'cause he'll always be in someone's arms.  He's beyond adorable.  

15 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Just got back from NY. People were testing nonstop to get to a positive to get out of seeing people lol.  No one tests in FL. The constant testing is either super neurotic or a way to get out of stuff.

It's amazing what you can do with a bit of red crayon ... "oh shoot, sorry guys, looks like I'll be spending Christmas without you this year" :D 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I was there this weekend for the tree and a dinner and it was amazing. The only difference was they didn’t let you congregate around the tree, but only tourists do that. Not to single out Matt, but the people who love to say “NYC is dead!” were never city people in the first place. 

Here is a bonus picture from terrible, empty, post-apocalyptic NYC. 

8ACE35D8-F7C1-4FDC-8C10-526D098BF779.jpeg

Spot on.  Some people here know not what they are talking about.  

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Happy New Year.

Feel better, man. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I was there this weekend for the tree and a dinner and it was amazing. The only difference was they didn’t let you congregate around the tree, but only tourists do that. Not to single out Matt, but the people who love to say “NYC is dead!” were never city people in the first place. 

Nice shot!

And yes... I will tread lightly as to not get this thread locked, but "NYC IS DEAD!!" / "NYC IS DYING!!" has been masturbatory fodder for people of a particular persuasion for literally decades.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

How do you tell the difference between that and watching a Jets game? 

Get well soon.

I had both together - tested +ve on a lateral flow Sunday (followed up with a PCR Monday). Watching the Jets game was one of the few things that actually made me feel better. Crazy world or what? 

As for lateral flows - not sure where the 50/50 stuff is coming from - studies have presented figures of 80%+:

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2021/oct/lateral-flow-tests-detect-most-people-risk-transmitting-covid-19#:~:text=The peer-reviewed paper%2C published,infectious when using the test.

The peer-reviewed paper, published today in Clinical Epidemiology, uses a new formula to show that lateral flow tests (LFTs) are likely more than 80% effective at detecting any level of Covid-19 infection and likely more than 90% effective at detecting those who are most infectious when using the test. 

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I spent a decade in NYC. *shrugs*

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

26 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Im still in a very holiday cheery holiday mood because Poppy got to spend  Christmas with his boy! 

A blessed 2022 to you and yours as well brother! 

6BA948F2-3DB8-44D3-AEC8-1452796735A4.jpeg

Poppy Crush!.... nice pic

Have you already told him the treasured stories of "Uncle Chuck & The Gentlemans Club" ..... lol. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1000% dead on.  If you lived here and loved it no other place compares.  If you complain about NYC, they’re the usual complaints that fit any big city.  But no city, at least of the many I’ve been to through business or vacation can compare to the vibe and soul that NYC has.  Or has all that NYC has to offer.  Best part?  It’s just better today than in the past

• Upvote 4