So, Omicron pretty much sucks

Jet_Engine1

13 minutes ago, Stark said:

Poppy Crush!.... nice pic

Have you already told him the treasured stories of "Uncle Chuck & The Gentlemans Club" ..... lol. 

I assume Baby Crusher will eventually do that. The associated trauma from his point of view will reach the younger generation more succinctly.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Oh the flu shot. One of my partners got the shot then got the flu (not Covid) and was laid up for a week. 

Doctors told her the flu shot does not work this year. 

But get it…you know…anyway.

SCIENCE!!

Flu vaccines are as much a factor of human input as anything else.

Flu comes in so many strains. Each year's vaccine is produced based on what variants are expected to be circulating that year - there's no "one size fits all". The better the prediction, the better the vaccine will work overall, but if you guess wrong it's not going to be a lot of help. Some years here in the UK the effectiveness is estimated about 40-50% (that is to say, it prevented about 40-50% of the cases that would have happened without a vaccine). But one year recently it was only about 15% efficacy. It wasn't that the vaccine didn't work in and of itself, it was just the wrong one for what turned out to be doing the rounds that year.

https://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vk/inactivated-flu-vaccine

With Covid we only really have "Version 1.0" vaccines so far ... it'll be more effective against the initial variants, which is why this latest Omicron variant is causing so much alarm right now. I'd guess that over time things will become similar to the situation with flu ... many variants, many vaccine options, and they try to match the annual / seasonal vaccine to the expected variant. And as it becomes more "business as usual" people will make their own decisions based on their own circumstances and beliefs. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Hope everyone who is suffering from this thing feels better soon ... I'm on day 5 and doing a lot better but still seriously low on energy.  Can't remember the last time anything had me ill for this time, but grateful it's been mild / moderate at worst. I know that's not been the case for everyone.

Hardest part was of it all was having my son come down with it too, fortunately he has the energy of youth and has got through it better than I have. He's also quite pleased that it'll likely delay his return to school next week. ;-) 

Here's to hoping everyone stays well and that maybe the Jets can pull off one of those meaningless December victories on Sunday to cheer us up a bit. :D 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Sore throat, cough, terrible body aches, tired, but the aches make sleep difficult. No real fever but woke up this morning drenched in sweat. Spent the last 2 days in bed. What a way to end a terrible year. ? 

But I'm fine with finally getting the Corona Light instead of full-blown Covid. 

It is spreading like a wild fire where I live. Best regards.

• Upvote 1

I'm waiting for the results of my PCR test to come back. Have pretty much all the symptoms, and had luckily avoided getting any kind of illness since the pandemic started til now. Think I picked it up at a funeral I went to. Sucks, but doesn't seem too bad at least.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Sore throat, cough, terrible body aches, tired, but the aches make sleep difficult. No real fever but woke up this morning drenched in sweat. Spent the last 2 days in bed. What a way to end a terrible year. ? 

Hang in there, hopefully the worst is behind you and you’re on the road to some sort of normalcy!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Icer said:

I'm waiting for the results of my PCR test to come back. Have pretty much all the symptoms, and had luckily avoided getting any kind of illness since the pandemic started til now. Think I picked it up at a funeral I went to. Sucks, but doesn't seem too bad at least.

I was dead sure I had it, took a PCR and I was negative 

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You stay safe too, mate. 

JN would be far less enjoyable without you driving me nuts on a regular basis.

Thanks my friend/foe,  if it brings any comfort to you,  you can drive me nuts too.  But would love to head out for libations one day!  
Stay safe!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

57 minutes ago, jamesr said:

With Covid we only really have "Version 1.0" vaccines so far ... it'll be more effective against the initial variants, which is why this latest Omicron variant is causing so much alarm right now. I'd guess that over time things will become similar to the situation with flu ... many variants, many vaccine options, and they try to match the annual / seasonal vaccine to the expected variant. And as it becomes more "business as usual" people will make their own decisions based on their own circumstances and beliefs. 

I just don't believe this is ever going to be allowed to happen.  Basically, once they get mandates and restrictions in place, the heat will only get turned up from there.  Unless you believe that governments love to give up power. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Beerfish said:

They had to cancel the World junior hockey championships due to omicron.  It's going wild here in Alberta.  Sooner or later most people are going to get it, just a matter of the effects on a person.

Hope all who have had it or get it get well soon.

Another Canadian. HELLO MY BROTHER

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, TMAC said:

Just tested positive.  I have been fully vaxxed with the booster.  The symptoms are like a middle of the road cold.  However, my grandchildren have it worse.  Hopefully will build up an immunity to this.  Good luck everyone.

Hope everyone feels better real soon. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Larz said:

Just got the Pfizer booster. Have the week off. Settling in for side effect Saturday 

Tomorrow your arm you got the shot in should feel pretty sore. I know mine was, though overall I really didn't feel too bad after my Pfizer booster. I received mine on December 13th, and I was definitely not myself but was able complete all my task for the day without staying home. Drink lots of water. It definitely helps to stay hydrated. 

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Yeah duh. More people are getting out because of the absurd restrictions for the winter though. The city flat out blows right now.

I believe NY lost the most amount of population overall this year too. 

And got it all back and then some. The vast majority of New Yorkers couldn't afford to move or rent a country house during the pandemic, so they didn't go anywhere. Right now, you can't find an affordable apartment to rent in Manhattan, and real estate is through the roof. Rumors of NYC's death have been greatly exaggerated, to paraphrase Mark Twain.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

And got it all back and then some. The vast majority of New Yorkers couldn't afford to move or rent a country house during the pandemic, so they didn't go anywhere. Right now, you can't find an affordable apartment to rent in Manhattan, and real estate is through the roof. Rumors of NYC's death have been greatly exaggerated, to paraphrase Mark Twain.

NYC will always be busy. Too many people for too long have lived there. Upstate is vacating though. The state income tax is absurd if you’re living upstate. Why bother? I love NY and always will but the policies are asinine. 

If the guy who honeymooned in Cuba were to ever become governor then no one north of westchester will live anywhere but Albany.

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

It's very possible you have the Delta variant.

Did they confirm Omnicron?

17 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I agree. But the strains seem unpredictable. If they keep the symptoms at a minimum I’m fine with getting the shot. I never used to get the flu shot but I probably should have been doing it. At this point the shots are readily available so if you want it great if not no worries. What’s going on in NY though isn’t sustainable. People have legit gone cuckoo. You used to just laugh off the dude in the neck brace in Yonkers and now you have people diving into bushes outside when you walk by the without a mask on. People need to relax. I don’t miss living there but I miss visiting the city.

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-health-st-louis-missouri-ba73ddfff6449515b335a4386c43ab22

Looks like that NY neurosis is infectious, or at least folie a deux. Of course, none of us hold a candle to the common sense and intelligence of the average Floridian. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I just don't believe this is ever going to be allowed to happen.  Basically, once they get mandates and restrictions in place, the heat will only get turned up from there.  Unless you believe that governments love to give up power. 

Live in a place that believes in freedom.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

24 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-health-st-louis-missouri-ba73ddfff6449515b335a4386c43ab22

Looks like that NY neurosis is infectious, or at least folie a deux. Of course, none of us hold a candle to the common sense and intelligence of the average Floridian. 

Florida "shut down" for about 2 weeks, and contrary to the nonsense you've heard on your favorite cable news provider, has done as well or better than pretty much everywhere else. So, I guess smart is as smart does?

But hey, the New York Assembly is apparently going to vote on a Bill in January 5th that will allow the state to "detain anyone deemed to be a public hazard....place them in a medical or other facility, and forcibly vaccinate persons". All against the Constitution and the Nuremberg Code.

So you got that to look forward to!!

Super smart!

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Florida "shut down" for about 2 weeks, and contrary to the nonsense you've heard on your favorite cable news provider, has done as well or better than pretty much everywhere else. So, I guess smart is as smart does?

But hey, the New York Assembly is apparently going to vote on a Bill in January 5th that will allow the state to "detain anyone deemed to be a public hazard....place them in a medical or other facility, and forcibly vaccinate persons". All against the Constitution and the Nuremberg Code.

Super smart!

As of today, Florida ranks third in the U.S. for number of cases (4,059,487) and deaths (62,390).   CA is number one, Texas in second place, and NY in fourth.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I’ve had pretty much the same symptoms, with the added bonus of diarrhea.  Started on 12/23 with a stomach bug, then the omicron symptoms stared on Monday 

18 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Super smart!

Changed my mind.  Asked a question but it’s not important.  I hope you are on the mend soon.