*** THE OFFSEASON CIRCUS HAS BEGUN ***

Bronx

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Is the combine back to normal this year?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2022-nfl-scouting-combine-will-remain-in-indianapolis-2023-combine-up-for-grabs-between-dallas-l-a-others/amp/

The NFL Scouting Combine will remain at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis in 2022, NFL Executive VP of Football Operations Troy Vincent confirmed Tuesday. Vincent also noted that the hope is to bring "as much back to normal as possible" after the marquee offseason event has been altered recently due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. As for the combine process for the athletes specifically, Vincent added they are currently looking at changing the experience, saying, "We can do better."

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We'll always have that awesome victory over the Jags though!

51 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If Thibodeaux and Hutchinson are gone, just bail on the fourth pick. Sell it to the highest bidder. I don’t care if it’s for picks in 2023. Everything at that spot feels like a reach. @derp said it best, that these schemes don’t require A+ freak CB talent, so no need to take one there, and we’ve seen that they can run the ball and effectively pass block with average talents like LDC, Moses, etc, and with Becton presumably coming back, you have two good tackles already, and you can draft a swing guy as Becton insurance later on. 

No reason to freak out. Jags actually have a good pass rush and Lawrence needs help. I could see them taking Neal or their favorite WR. 

Also, the Jets could consider simply taking their favorite WR at 4. Treylon Burks looks like a stud muffin 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Bronx said:

In addition,  let's avoid players  who suffered serious injuries in the past.

Ordinarily I’d completely agree with this, especially as something is clearly up at 1 Jets Drive when you consider how ridiculous our injury rate has been the last 3 or 4 seasons, and I sense you might be talking specifically about 1st rounders?/….but the one player from the 2020 draft that looks like a sure thing is Bryce Hall …sometimes you just can’t tell

• Upvote 2

Just now, redlichtie said:

Ordinarily I’d completely agree with this, especially as something is clearly up at 1 Jets Drive when you consider how ridiculous our injury rate has been the last 3 or 4 seasons, and I sense you might be talking specifically about 1st rounders?/….but the one player from the 2020 draft that looks like a sure thing is Bryce Hall …sometimes you just can’t tell

It is a hit and miss, but you take those risks on the later rounds.

• Upvote 4

I also think people are flat out sleeping on Karlaftis.  I think he has Cam Jordan type game.  Same for Leal from A&M.  They aren’t the super bendy Chandler Jones type, but at 275 each are incredibly “twitchy”.

If they take either at 4 I would not be surprised.  If they could move back and still grab one, then even better.

Hamilton sounds to me like Derwin James, big, fast a good play maker and hurt for half of every season.

Unless they fall in love with one of the second tier pass rushers I'm also on the trade down freight train.  At this point there is a whole mish mash of players after about 3 of close value.

There are some good WRs but unfortunately for us I do not think there is a sire fire standout #1 guy that is obvious.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Bronx said:

It is a hit and miss, but you take those risks on the later rounds.

Those are great risks in the later rounds.

I'd rather take a risk in the 6th round, and maybe get lucky.  In the 1st and 2nd round you need guys who you know will play.

That being said, a lot of the guys JD drafted early did not have huge injury histories in college.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Not going to argue that but does not mean we should overdraft someone who managed 4.5 sacks in college

I hope that JD will be wary of college players who were talented, but underproductive and/or hurt a lot. He's already gone down that road with Zuniga with a 3rd round pick.  Worse to get that kind of player in round 1 or 2...

If a kid can't stay healthy for 12 or so college games, how about 17 NFL games?  Could happen, but very risky with an early pick.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I totally get the trade down logic and not be upset at all if Douglas moved down from 4 and picked up a 2023 1st rounder in the process. 

BUT - as I say every year around this time, draft narratives can change drastically as you get closer. Boards will change - players you are hardly thinking of now will be in the discussion. The combine will be huge for the edge rushers. Lots can change. 

also - I will reiterate my interest in Kyle Hamilton and a few of these WRs 

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I totally get the trade down logic and not be upset at all if Douglas moved down from 4 and picked up a 2023 1st rounder in the process. 

BUT - as I say every year around this time, draft narratives can change drastically as you get closer. Boards will change - players you are hardly thinking of now will be in the discussion. The combine will be huge for the edge rushers. Lots can change. 

also - I will reiterate my interest in Kyle Hamilton and a few of these WRs 

Agree on this - could easily see an Ojabo rise and a Karlaftis fall after the combine.

Curious which, if any, receivers separate from the pack. If Burks is truly 6'3 225 and runs anywhere low 4.5's or even 4.4's, I think he's worth a top 10 pick. 

• Upvote 1

Jets would've been drafting 2 if they did the smart thing and lost last week to the Jags, guaranteeing either Hutchinson or Thibodeaux. 

I'm sure we'll all be happy with that win 5 years from now. Really important. Wilson threw for what, 100 yards? Real program building win. It's utterly mindboggling how the Jets consistently win meaningless games to ruin their draft position.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, Skeet Ulrich said:

Jets would've been drafting 2 if they did the smart thing and lost last week to the Jags, guaranteeing either Hutchinson or Thibedaux. 

I'm sure we'll all be happy with that win 5 years from now. Really important. Wilson threw for what, 100 yards? Real program building win.

How much harder do you want them to try to lose?  XP missed?  Check.  Go for it on 4th down and fail?  Check.  Fake FG fail?  Check.  Dropped INT on the goal with time running out?  Check.  Gregg Williams got fired for tanking less hard.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, slimjasi said:

No reason to freak out. Jags actually have a good pass rush and Lawrence needs help. I could see them taking Neal or their favorite WR. 

Also, the Jets could consider simply taking their favorite WR at 4. Treylon Burks looks like a stud muffin 

Very true - The Jags have Josh Allen and have picked edge 2 of the last 3 years in the first round. Chaisson was their second first rounder in 2020.

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If Thibodeaux and Hutchinson are gone, just bail on the fourth pick. Sell it to the highest bidder. I don’t care if it’s for picks in 2023. Everything at that spot feels like a reach. @derp said it best, that these schemes don’t require A+ freak CB talent, so no need to take one there, and we’ve seen that they can run the ball and effectively pass block with average talents like LDC, Moses, etc, and with Becton presumably coming back, you have two good tackles already, and you can draft a swing guy as Becton insurance later on. 

ughhhhh no way.....trading back doesn't work for a team trying to improve quickly. Remember when we traded back to land Denzel Mimms, (where do I barf) and traded UP to get AVT. 

Heres the thing, the higher the pick, statistically the better chance of the guy becoming a playmaker. Trading back is silly for the most part unless you are raping a team. 

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Very true - The Jags have Josh Allen and have picked edge 2 of the last 3 years in the first round. Chaisson was their second first rounder in 2020.

It makes little sense for JAX to draft an Edge.  Their need at OT is so obvious and they risk destroying their golden-haired QB's career if they don't address it.  Maybe they can swing a trade down to 2 or 3 but I'm not sure anyone is paying a ransom to move up for a non-QB. 

What they  SHOULD do?  Draft the best OT.  

What they WILL do?  Hard to say.  But a third DE is a luxury they really can't afford.

The problem is that even if they take the OT, it's likely that Hutch and Thib will go 2-3.

Now DET needs WR more than anything.  So I could see them possibly trading down, possibly more than once, to load up picks and take a top WR in the 6-12 range.  Supposing Hutch gets past JAX, would you trade #4 and one of our 2nd rounders to move up?

As for HOU, they would probably take an Edge, but they might also beat SF next week which, depending on what happens to the Jets, could push up into the 3 spot.

It's really too early with so many things going on, but it will make the next two Sundays interesting.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

11 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

ughhhhh no way.....trading back doesn't work for a team trying to improve quickly. Remember when we traded back to land Denzel Mimms, (where do I barf) and traded UP to get AVT. 

Heres the thing, the higher the pick, statistically the better chance of the guy becoming a playmaker. Trading back is silly for the most part unless you are raping a team. 

We are not trying to improve quickly.  We are patiently building through the draft which will lead to long term success.

Pay attention to what ur gm and coach are telling you!

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I could not agree with this more. I don't see them taking a CB that high. I don't see them taking another Tackle in Round One.

If the staff is convinced they have the next Revis, they would make the pick and change the scheme. You are not taking a CB top 5 and playing zone with him.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is the Jets though, and this is the worst draft since they held picks 9 and 13 in 2013. So while a trade down would be great its going to be a tough sell.

A Houston win, Jacksonville wanting a tackle, and/or a QB (or two) moving up the board would all be great.

I do genuinely believe that whether it’s David Ojabo or Jameson Williams or someone else there’s going to be someone who flies up boards as a production + playoff hype + combine monster at a premium position.

I also don’t think the tackle makes sense but we’ll see how free agency goes. If they don’t sign a guard the Neal/Ekwonu to guard for a year before Fant leaves and as Becton insurance will be on the table. I don’t think it’s awesome use of assets but a lot hinges on how they feel about Becton. Given Mims hasn’t played and Zuniga and Morgan got cut - it’s not a first round pick and not like they’re going to cut Becton but I also don’t think Douglas is going to carry dead weight for the sake of carrying dead weight.

But yeah four is absolutely no man’s land right now.

If Thibs, Hutch and Neal are gone and we can’t trade down I would take Jameson Williams at #4 and then the best non CB defensive player on the board with the Seattle pick. I love his speed and his route running looks really good

Let’s say for arguments sake the draft order in the top 4 remains the same. Jax picking at 1 will be key. It would make logical sense for them to take Neal since their OL needs help. One would think the Lions and Texans would take Hutch and Thibs. That’s where things could get interesting. With all the talk about the Jets trading down, it wouldn’t shock me if the Jets try to trade up to nab one of the stud DE’s.